Start by marking “The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane” as Want to Read:

4.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  49,374 Ratings  ·  6,229 Reviews
"Someone will come for you, but first you must open your heart. . . ."

Once, in a house on Egypt Street, there lived a china rabbit named Edward Tulane. The rabbit was very pleased with himself, and for good reason: he was owned by a girl named Abilene, who treated him with the utmost care and adored him completely.

And then, one day, he was lost.

Kate DiCamillo takes us on
Audio CD, Unabridged
Published February 14th 2006 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, please sign up.

Jim Sibigtroth The china rabbit and china dolls in this story are unable to affect humans in any way other than to act as objects of comfort, so I suspect it would…moreThe china rabbit and china dolls in this story are unable to affect humans in any way other than to act as objects of comfort, so I suspect it would be a good story for you. It might even reassure you that china dolls do not pose any threat to you.

On the other hand, if your fear is based on a suspicion that the china dolls are secretly able to see and hear you, you might not like it.(less)

Lizzie
Nov 02, 2007 Lizzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, people who have/work with children, people looking for ways to explain the selfless love
Shelves: childrensrereads
I looked forward to reading this book because, as the review on goodreads of Edward Tulane says, Kate DiCamillo is an incomparable children's author, and I have loved and cried over The Tale of Despereaux and The Tiger Rising in the middle of the Borders Cafe before. Edward's journey is miraculous in that the little china rabbit from which the book gets its name learns to love out of his many losses, which starts with losing his straw hat and ends with losing his hardened heart. Take the velvete ...more
KristenR
What a beautiful story. I read it with my 8 year old daughter and more than once it brought a tear to my eye. It is the story of Edward Tulane, the china rabbit, who while passing from owner to owner (companions really, as he comes to love them) endures great love and great tragedy. He learns that no matter what happens in life it is most important to open your heart....let yourself love and be loved.
Kelly
Feb 24, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 21st-century
I was just trapped underground on a backed up metro train for an hour. Never have I minded, or noticed, a terrible commute less.
Erin
Mar 01, 2009 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Well-written, beautiful, and somber. This is the story of a china rabbit who learns the true meaning of love. I read this book out loud to my class and truly enjoyed the masterful way that Kate DiCamillo crafts a story. Her word choice and sentence fluency found its way into my writing lesson plans to illustrate some of the possibilities waiting to be found in words.

Would I read it aloud again? Perhaps with older students. My class LOVED this story but it was sad, extremely sad in places. I fou
Debbie Zapata
Jan 27, 2016 Debbie Zapata rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saturday
I think this book is stunning. It tells the story of a china rabbit named Edward, who is nothing more than a toy in the beginning. A much-loved toy, but he doesn't seem capable of any feeling himself, other than annoyance when he is not treated as he thinks he deserves to be treated. I really did not like Edward at first, he was just so cold-hearted!

But this book is about growth. The journey is both actual and metaphysical. During his wanderings Edward has many experiences which teach him about
Eve
Aug 24, 2008 Eve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story reminded me of "The Velveteen Rabbit". A little less magical, perhaps, but I appreciated the story of a rabbit who, instead of starting out full of love, learns to love and be loved until at the end of the story, he comes full circle. Easy reading, and could be a good one for reading out loud.
Roya
Oct 07, 2015 Roya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: quite-good, favourite
You'd think I wouldn't cry after the third read, but all I can say is that I'm glad I skipped the eye makeup today...
Greg
While sitting in Washington Square Park reading my Moomins novel while on a mini-lunch break I wondered about the recurring use of sadness and melancholy in the book. Do American children books usually refer to the the joys of a sweet melancholy feeling at the lose of something good that will never return? How do children relate to depressed characters? Do they even notice it? Why aren't more children books filled with melancholy, and not in a humorous way? While the sun beat down on my bench, a ...more
Sylvia
Jul 13, 2011 Sylvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a friend told me she was reading this book with her 3 and 5 year old kids, I immediately questioned whether they found it too sad. I purchased this book soon after its initial publication and had read it myself at that time. My recollection was that it brought me to tears, and as I have two quite sensitive little boys, I was hesitant to introduce this one to them. Inspired by my friends successful reading of it with her two (slightly) younger children, I bravely undertook this venture - for ...more
Bach Tran Quang
Feb 03, 2015 Bach Tran Quang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Những hôm nào mệt mỏi, ốm, căng thẳng tôi sẽ lôi trong tủ sách của mình ra một cuốn sách dành cho thiếu nhi để đọc. Nhân cái dịp ốm này, tôi lấy Edward Tulane ra khỏi nơi cất giấu - tôi mua chú vào một ngày tôi lượn sách cũ, trong đầu cũng nắm được một chút thông tin là cuốn này đã đi vào hồi tuyệt diệt (sau tái bản, hồi đấy hot còn vì có cái phim bỏ mẹ gì của Hàn Quốc có thằng cu đẹp giai nằm đọc trên giường cuốn này BÌA CỨNG T_T)

Nói chung tôi đã sai lầm. Sai lầm lớn nhất là bây giờ mới đọc câu
Amy
Feb 20, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
I have to say that I am quite fond of Kate DiCamillo's writing, and Maggie and I very much enjoyed reading this book together. Oh, but it was exquisitely and simultaneously joyful and sad. Maggie even asked me later last night, after we had finished the book and she was getting ready to brush her teeth, "Why do people write about sad things, Mom?" Ah - innocence slips away in small parcels. Then again, when I read her The Velveteen Rabbit, B actually came running into the room to find out what w ...more
Simona
Rating: 5+/5

Nu am mai citit de multă vreme o carte "in one sitting", însă am fost capturată de Miraculoasa călătorie a lui Edward Tulaneîntr-un mod neașteptat. Această carte pentru copii (și nu numai), m-a atras încă de la primele pagini.

Autoarea Kate DiCamillo(care a mai scris și Povestea lui Despereaux, o altă carte ce se aflăși ea pe lista mea de lectură) a reușit printr-un limbaj simplu, dar metaforic, să mă cucerească.

Protagonistul acestei cărți este un iepure de porțelan pe nume Edward Tul
lita
Jan 19, 2010 lita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel-english
I moved this review to my blog
Winna
My first DiCamillo read.
I was blown away.

I thought this was a simple story about love. I was wrong about it being simple, because it showed how complicated life and love really were. It was touching, it was classic, it was.. very heartbreaking.

The first book to get me teary-eyed one of these days.

I love it.
Van
Feb 12, 2016 Van rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nhân vật chính là chú thỏ sứ đồ chơi tuyệt đẹp, bằng những trải nghiệm và biến đổi tinh tế trong tình cảm và suy nghĩ đã dẫn dắt người đọc qua hành trình đầy cảm động đi tìm tình yêu - khởi đầu từ việc chỉ biết nhận tình yêu từ người khác và coi đó là hiển nhiên tất yếu, đến lúc mất rồi mới bắt đầu thấy quý giá, bắt đầu học lắng nghe và quan tâm, buồn khổ khi phải rời xa người thân yêu mà không thể nói lời tạm biệt, mở rộng trái tim với những người xa lạ, cảm giác bất lực khi không thể giúp đỡ n ...more
Cami
May 26, 2011 Cami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jessica, Rachel, Jeanna,
A miraculous journey, indeed.
I just finished the audio version and my second time through this modern parable about learning to love.
Below is my original review and it still stands.

I can be quite a senimental sap at times and I have not cried this hard for joys mingled with regrets since The Last Battle by C.S. LewisThe Chronicles of Narnia.
I read this book aloud with my 7 yr old son. I think Kate DiCamillo is a special writer because she can write about china rabbits being loved by little girls
Shaun
I first read a library copy of this book several years ago to my oldest son, after it was recommended to me by my sister-in-law and having previously read Kate DiCamillo's Mercy Watson series for beginning readers as well as The Tale of Despereaux.

Recently, I picked up a copy of this book along with The Magician's Elephant, yet another gem by the same author, to have at home for the kiddos.

In between books, I decided to re-read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane while doing my morning walk
FeReSHte
دوست داشته نشیم
و دوست نداشته باشیم

عشق کلید حیات و هستی ماست و از اون مهم تر ابراز عشق
تا دوست داشتنی هاتون رو از دست ندادین عشقتون رو ابراز کنین

این همه ی چیزی بود که کیت دی کامیلو با سفر خرگوش عروسکی از دست صاحبی به صاحبی دیگر خواست به من بگه...شاید

"I'm done with being loved," Edward told her. "I'm done with loving. It's too painful." . . .

"Open your heart," she said gently. "Someone will come. Someone will come for you. But first you must open your heart."
Marian
Mar 01, 2009 Marian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! I think I'll pick up a copy to save until my children are older, as the themes do seem to be a little too complex for their sensitivities.

I would recommend, however, reading it rather than listening to the audio version. The narrator attempted to use different voices most of which ended up sounding like Brer Rabbit or the Wicked Witch.
Qt
Feb 19, 2009 Qt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, drama
Lovely illustrations throughout.

Nấm Hương
Mọi câu chuyện buồn bã, tăm tối, nếu kết thúc hạnh phúc đều sẽ sáng bừng lên thế này. Đến mức trái tim mình vui sướng đập binh binh như muốn nhảy tót khỏi lồng ngực :P.

Nghe cậu Bảy kể, hồi nhỏ mình có một trò rất ác o.o Đó là bắt cậu bật phim hoạt hình nai Bambi lên coi, rồi ngồi khóc hu hu khi nai mẹ bị bắn. Dù cứ coi đến cảnh kinh khủng nọ là khóc hu hu, nhưng mình luôn đòi coi cho bằng được :)). Cậu Bảy than, thiệt cậu muốn chết với con cho rồi!!! Ha ha ha...

Bữa nay đọc truyện xong cũng ngồi
Robin Hobb
Dec 21, 2013 Robin Hobb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the harrowing tale of a china rabbit doll who is separated from his young owner and undergoes a series of harrowing adventures over a number of years before finding a happy resolution.

Left to myself, I would put it alongside Black Beauty or Lassie Come Home, tales of animals who endure extended abuse, hardship and/or neglect before being reunited with owners who love them.

When I read those stories in my distant youth, they spoke to me. Now, I fear, if I re-read them, I might suspect tha
Aina Dayana Hilmi
Bismillahirrahmanirrahim.

Kulit hadapan buku nampak klasik. Berwarna kuning keemasan dan ada seekor arnab berjalan menuju ke pintu rumah agam.

Novel kanak-kanak ini bertemakan kasih sayang. Kita tidak akan disayangi sekiranya kita juga tidak menyayangi. Teringatkan kisah di mana Rasulullah sollallahu alaihi wasallam mencium cucunya, Hassan lalu berkata sahabat yang melihat (Aqra'), "Aku mempunyai sepuluh anak tetapi tidak seorang pun pernah aku cium. " Maka Rasulullah sollallahu alaihi wasallam be
Arminzerella
Edward Tulane is a china rabbit, commissioned specially for Abilene Tulane by her grandmother, and he’s one vain bunny. He spends most of his time admiring himself and the fine figure he cuts in his custom-made silk suits. Abilene’s grandmother seems to know Edward’s thoughts are only for himself, for she warns him that without love, he will never be happy. And when Edward is tossed overboard by a couple of kids when he and Abilene are on a cruise he comes to know the truth of it. For the first ...more
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
Jul 26, 2010 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and Adults alike
Recommended to Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* by: Cecelia for a Member's Choice Cyber Book of the Month - Thanks, Cecelia!
(5 Stars)

I was wanting something emotional, but I certainly wasn’t expecting it to come from this children’s book by Kate DiCamillo. *sniff, sniff*

I had started the first chapter of this book over a month ago, but just wasn’t in the mood to read it then. Then the due date loomed and I thought I better get cracking! Why did I put off reading this heart-wrenchingly beautiful story??? Yes, it is a children’s book, but it truly touched me and had me tearing up a few times. It had some beautiful illu
(C) Archer at KIPP
Mar 12, 2008 (C) Archer at KIPP rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Raul
Recommended to (C) Archer by: Ruly
Shelves: boys-have-read
By Kate Dicamillo
Reviewed by Raul Velázquez, grade 8
Kipp aspire academy, San Antonio, TX

"Please", cried Abilene. “Don’t throw him. He’s made of china. He’ll break. “This is the story of The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate Dicamillo. This book is about a china rabbit that is owned by an old lady who passed it on to her niece. Her niece, Abilene loves her china doll rabbit, Edwaed Tulane.
On a bout trip to England, some boys took Edward aw
Drew Graham
Jun 16, 2015 Drew Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
Edward Tulane is a china rabbit who cuts a fine figure, and he definitely knows it. Elegant, pampered, and hopelessly vain, Edward lives a luxurious life adored by a little girl named Abilene. But then one day Edward becomes a lost toy, and begins a long and incredible journey in an attempt to be found.

This is the last in the Kate DiCamillo boxed set we bought a while ago, and I can easily say it's my favorite book of hers that I've read to date. Despereaux and Winn-Dixie are sweet and artistic,
Weni
Jan 18, 2010 Weni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edward Tulane adalah kelinci porselen yang tidak peduli pada apapun selain dirinya sendiri. Edward merasa dirinya luar biasa. Hobinya adalah memandang bayangannya di kaca dan mengagumi keindahan dirinya. Edward benci disebut benda, tersinggung dikatai boneka dan tidak pernah mau mendengarkan.

Lalu Edward terpisah dari pemiliknya, Abilene, saat berada di kapal dan jatuh ke dasar laut. Dimulailah 'perjalanan ajaib' Edward. Tinggal dengan nelayan, berada di dalam gunungan sampah, berkelana dengan ge
Richard
Edward Tulane thinks a lot of himself. He has an attendant who dresses him in the finest clothes and treats him with the utmost deference. He spends his days sitting on a chair, looking out the window, thinking narcissistic thoughts and waiting for evening to come. Which is odd, because he's a rabbit. And not even the real kind with a twitchy nose and an insatiable appetite for garden vegetables. Edward is a china bunny.

But one day, when he is on an ocean voyage with the little girl who takes c
Kelli
Feb 22, 2015 Kelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I never review children's books, though I read aloud no less than three a day. This whopper of a book was 200 pages of masterful writing with gorgeous illustrations. I loved everything about this perfect story of a lost toy but what I loved the most was the intricate way that the language of this story was handled. The rabbit thought quite a lot of himself and that was evident in his choice of words...you could read how he felt about himself in the things he said and the way he said them. The la ...more
The Storyworld Project Discussion 13 9 Mar 01, 2016 06:54AM
Dynamic Characters 1 6 Dec 10, 2015 10:27AM
spiritual journeys 1 4 Jul 25, 2015 07:45AM
spiritual journeys 1 5 Jun 27, 2015 11:17AM
  • Toys Go Out: Being the Adventures of a Knowledgeable Stingray, a Toughy Little Buffalo, and Someone Called Plastic (Toys, #1)
  • Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1)
  • The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy (The Penderwicks #1)
  • The End of the Beginning: Being the Adventures of a Small Snail (and an Even Smaller Ant)
  • Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1)
  • Lulu and the Brontosaurus
  • Young Fredle (Davis Farm, #2)
  • The Big Orange Splot
  • Becoming Naomi León
  • The Mad Scientists' Club (Mad Scientists' Club, #1)
  • Where I Live
  • Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
  • The World According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #1)
  • Each Little Bird that Sings
  • The Van Gogh Cafe
  • Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat (Emmy, #1)
  • Honey, I Love and Other Love Poems
  • The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate (Calpurnia Tate, #1)
Kate DiCamillo, the newly named National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature for 2014–2015, says about stories, “When we read together, we connect. Together, we see the world. Together, we see one another.” Born in Philadelphia, the author lives in Minneapolis, where she faithfully writes two pages a day, five days a week.

Kate DiCamillo's own journey is something of a dream come true. After
More about Kate DiCamillo...

“Open your heart. Someone will come. Someone will come for you. But first you must open your heart.” 2701 likes
“You must be filled with expectancy. You must be awash in hope. You must wonder who will love you, whom you will love next.” 140 likes