Savage Sanctuary

Savage Sanctuary

3.07 of 5 stars 3.07  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Sexy bad boy shapeshifter Michael O'Dare grew up on the streets. When government soldiers finally captured and imprisoned him, he became a lab rat and a collared slave, never again allowed to be human. His escape allowed him to return to human form and head for freedom in the Western Territories.

Robert Hamilton-Scott had lived by the code "You're careful, or you're caught"...more
Published June 21st 2010 by Carina Press (first published May 26th 2010)

Kassa
I wanted to read Savage Sanctuary as one of the new m/m offerings from Carina Press. Unfortunately I found it totally boring, stereotypical, not all that sexy or erotic despite the whopping 5 sex scenes in a 70 page novella. It has a lot of classic mistakes such as lengthy, repetitive descriptions with dense, flat prose about characters containing little to no depth or interest. There are several good ideas presented but none are developed very well and the story repeatedly tells the reader ever...more
Serena Yates
Unfortunately, for me, this book failed to deliver on its promise. It was okay as a story (if somewhat slow, longwinded, and very repetitive in the beginning), but the world building was almost coincidental and didn't add the flavor and extra excitement it could have.

Michael is a clearly wounded character, mistreated in research laboratories after a youth spent as a gang member. In my personal opinion, his change into a tame, well-adapted, and considerate lover/human is unexplained and much too...more
Deanna
This was an intriguing story line. There is much potential with it and hopefully will be developed more by the author. This was a short story but contained a significant plot development in a small story. I liked Robert. His character was more developed than others and had some surprises. Michael was not as developed but show promise. The repeated references to him as a "gang" member did not nothing to add to his character. If the author continues this plot line I hope she spends more time with...more
Leontine
SAVAGE SANCTUARY by Jacqueline Barbary is my first read from this author and it was an enjoyable one but with flaws. I don’t know if the author is going for more stories set in this world but I sincerely hope so because the battle between the government creating shape shifters and the Rebellion counter-acting them holds enough intrigue for me to hope for a more thorough exploration of this set-up. The three things that really stood out in this novella was the fiery combustion between the two men...more
Jaya
SlashReaders: I listened to this novella in audio form, mostly because it contained two men together and it was cheap. All in all it wasn't terrible; however, it fell short of being good in a few ways. I think the first was the fact that the author tried to put too much in too short of a story. There are a lot of good ideas in this book, that were simply not realized. Too much was glossed over or not followed up on.

Shapeshifter's, are persecuted, used by the government and experimented on. Unfor...more
Lis
Review for Rarely Dusty Books

Savage Sanctuary by Jacqueline Barbary has been in my possession for a while, so when I looked it up on GoodReads to see when I read it, I was surprised to notice how many negative reviews it got, because I remember I quite enjoyed this read. So I found the copy and re-read it, slightly faster this time, and with a more critical eye and I still enjoyed the story. Michael can hide out with me any time!

Savage Sanctuary only counts 85 pages and this not a whole lot f...more
Jody
This is a very quick paranormal read that focuses on the world of shifters, those protecting them, and those who experimented on them and hunt them still. This particular book is of the m/m genre and focuses on Robert Hamilton-Scott who has opened up his home as a sanctuary for those shifters hiding from the government. He's a part of the resistance, a quiet part though since he's a shifter himself. He dyes his hair since shifters have very distinctive hair coloring and keeps to himself out of f...more
Lucy
In a time when shifers are hunted down by the government and placed in labs for experimentation, there is an underground dedicated to helping those shifters escape, or remain free. Robert is on the periphery of this rebellion. He is a Centered shifter, one who embraces the calling of the animal and shifting, but does not fight alongside the rebels. His house is a stop in the network of the underground, and a gangster shifter named Michael is brought to him, fresh from a year in the labs.

The wil...more
Lillian Francis
2.5 stars.
I could just ignore the insta-love, assuming that it was part and parcel of the genre - although i'm not afraid to admit I know nothing about shape shifters - but there was no mention of soulmates or bonding, so maybe it was just insta love.
But Michael recovered too quickly from being imprisoned, both physically and mentally.
And I had problems with some of the sex scenes considering one of the characters was a virgin .
Not a book to encourage me to read more of the genre.
Dana
Okay I have to admit I picked this book on cover alone and sadly the book didn't live up to the cover. I like to read novellas in one sitting but found the writer's style made it difficult to do. She fell into the trap of too much description and not enough action. Don't tell me how the characters feel...show me. I think the story is a good start and I did like the concept I just wish it had been better executed.
Lexi Ander
This is a very good story about transformation of the spirit. The back drop is of a society at war over basic rights of shifters even as the government run experiments on shifters that often times result in death. But the real story is not about the war or the Resistance. It's about loosing oneself and finding oneself and coming to a middle ground between the two. Balance.
Epeeblade
For a shorter work, the author packs a lot. She has a way with words, using language to convey the passion that blooms between the two shapeshifters.
Claire Robyns
My first foray into m/m. Quality of book was excellent, but this is maybe not my fav genre.
J.P. Barnaby
I was pleasantly surprised by this book because I'm not generally a Harlequin or paranormal fan.
Tina Vanbrackle
I really liked this story however did not like the writing style.If that makes sense.
Stacey Lee
Stacey Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Liexo
Liexo added it
Apr 06, 2014
Andrea
Andrea added it
Sep 18, 2013
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Adara
Adara added it
Aug 12, 2013
MiMi Rae
MiMi Rae marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Dena
Dena marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013