Start by marking “Greasy Grimy Gopher Guts: The Subversive Folklore of Childhood” as Want to Read:
Greasy Grimy Gopher Guts: The Subversive Folklore of Childhood

Greasy Grimy Gopher Guts: The Subversive Folklore of Childhood

Death, childbirth, conception, and diarrhea: the very things that send adults into fits of lip-biting...cause children to break out into song. This book contains hundreds of versions of favorite childhood rhymes.
Published November 1st 1995 by August House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Greasy Grimy Gopher Guts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greasy Grimy Gopher Guts

Melki
Mar 06, 2014 Melki rated it really liked it
Shelves: folklore
Childhood.

It ain't for sissies.

Let's face it, kids are thugs. They are obsessed with sex, violence and all things gross.

Just listen to some of the crap that comes out of the mouths of babes:

A boy's occupation
Is to stick his preparation
Into a girl's separation
To increase the population
Of the younger generation.
Do you want a demonstration?

Wow! That was from a Bronx sixth grader in 1966.

Or how 'bout this one you may have sung yourself:

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the burning of the school.
We h
Robert
Jun 23, 2016 Robert rated it it was amazing
A week or two ago, I couldn't go to sleep (as usual) and I also had a "Battle Hymn of the Republic" parody stuck in my head for some reason. A quick web search led to a Wikipedia page, which mentioned this book as a reference. Seeing as how I like funny/dirty poetry as well as social/cultural history, getting this book was a no-brainer. Opening the cover and reading through the introduction, I knew I was going to be for a wild ride down memory lane. While I wasn't familiar with 100% of rhymes ...more
Heather
Jan 03, 2009 Heather rated it liked it
Remeber all those songs you sang at camp or in the back of the school bus? This book has complied hundreds of them with many of their regional variations. I haven't come up with a song yet that I couldn't find in here. This is more of a reference book not one you really need to sit and read. I think my parents should have worried about what I was learning back then a little more, slightly disturbing.
Leigh
Dec 26, 2008 Leigh rated it really liked it
Remember all those absurd, crude songs you sang when you were a kid?
Tarzan swung on a rubber band.. This book is a compilation of them. Some of them are very crude indeed but if you have a slightly twisted sense of humor, you'll appreciate them. And as the author points out, humor is how kids cope with body functions, stress and growing up.
Susan
Sep 01, 2007 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folklorists
I came to this book expecting an analysis of children's rhymes and what they say about our society's fears, etc. It isn't that. It's rather an extensive compilation of rhymes with numerous regional variations, more of a list. If you sang it as a kid, it's in there. I can see the use in it as a reference, but it's not really much to read.
Melanti
Remember all those silly rhymes and songs you sang as kids? This is a catalog of variations on all of them. And I found it interesting there was a dozen versions of "Greasy Grimy Gopher Guts", but none of them was exactly like the version I learned as a kid!

It might be interesting someday, but it's not really what I'm in the mood for this week.
Peacegal
Dec 20, 2010 Peacegal rated it really liked it
Remember all of those strange schoolyard songs, rhymes, and taunts we all knew as kids? Where did they come from? Many are far older than you may have suspected. This is a great book on a previously neglected subject.
Maddie
A trip down nostalgia lane, that asks you to take a closer look at how and why verses like "Greasy Grimy Gopher Guts" form such an integral part of American childhood.

[Note: Not for the squeamish!]
Miriam
Sep 25, 2011 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: education, kids
Both a walk down memory lane and a discussion of the history and significance of various common subversive childrens' rhymes. I wonder how the rhymes have evolved in the 15 years since the book was published.
AM
Jul 22, 2008 AM rated it really liked it
read the end notes as you go... or you'll miss the why's and wherefore's. Don't worry it is worth it.
Julie Czerneda
Aug 25, 2012 Julie Czerneda rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Highly recommended to scholars, educators, and any parent wondering what their kids are chanting! (And why.)
Lindsay Beckman
Lindsay Beckman rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2015
Tess Avelland
Tess Avelland rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2010
R.H.
R.H. rated it really liked it
May 18, 2011
Morganna
Morganna rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Jae
Jae rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2011
Cynthia Wood
Cynthia Wood rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2013
Paul Young
Jan 24, 2014 Paul Young rated it did not like it
A dull read. Wouldn't recommend it.
Traci
Traci rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2013
Leah Coffin
Apr 04, 2014 Leah Coffin rated it it was amazing
Totally immature, disgusting and gross. I loved it. :D
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2013
Rex
Rex rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2012
April
April rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2009
Janel
Janel rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2014
Michael Rank
Michael Rank rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2007
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2010
Nora Ellen (The Bookery)
Nora Ellen (The Bookery) rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2010
Dennis
Dennis rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2013
Sarah rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2009
Beverly
Beverly rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2013
Josepha Sherman was an American author, folklorist, and anthologist. In 1990 she won the Compton Crook Award for the novel The Shining Falcon.
More about Josepha Sherman...