Start by marking “Dogzilla” as Want to Read:

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  1,260 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
“Dogzilla rises from a volcano to break up the First Annual Mousopolis Barbecue Cook-Off, and scatter the Big Cheese’s troops with her fearsome doggy breath--but the threat of a bath sends her scurrying back to her mountain. Illustrations are painted in bright acrylics around cleverly trimmed and placed photographs of Pilkey’s pet mice, cat, and corgi, for a wonderfully si ...more
Published September 29th 1993 by HMH Books for Young Readers

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellAnimal Farm by George OrwellWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Best Books About Animals
145th out of 1,047 books — 1,392 voters
Fishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale CummingsFetch by Adam Glendon SidwellWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakTurtle Wish by Murielle CyrAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
Boy Friendly Picture Books
30th out of 189 books — 76 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This is a very silly book and really pretty stupid unless you love dogs. The author says the stars are all his pets. His adorable mutt takes center stage as Dogzilla. All the scenes are photos of the dog and/or other animals with the surroundings of the scene painted on. It's obvious that the photos are just random pictures taken of this little guy/gal, usually grinning re-purposed for this book, but somehow the effect is freakin' hilarious. The beast is a mixed breed, chunky, kind of funny look ...more
Dav Pilkey's unusual style of illustration- photographic collage retouched with acrylic paint- gives his book a surreal look even before the story has started. Although his rating of EG warns that some material make be too goofy for grown-ups, the book is like a giant inside joke for the parents. Kids will slide right inside the story of Dogzilla, a giant dog who emerges from a volcano at the smell of barbecue in the city of Mousopolis (populated, you guessed it, by mice), eating barbecue and ac ...more
Apr 30, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal
So CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cute, clever story, with inventive and really fun picures: photos combined with art!
Sara Ullery
Sep 10, 2016 Sara Ullery rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-reviews
Dogzilla by Dav Pilkey Ages 7-11 Grades 2-5
• This is a silly story about a mice city and the attack of Dogzilla. This book has vivid images that give incredible detail to the story. This book uses expressive language that will expand vocabulary in a fun way. The mice work together to find a way to get rid of Dogzilla once and for all!
• Educators may use this book for English, Creative writing, and problem-solving activities.
• Ages 7-11 Grades 2-5
• Individual students will enjoy reading this boo
Caroline Daniel
Sep 15, 2016 Caroline Daniel rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-4050
• Dogzilla written and directed by Dav Pilkey
o This is a silly fictional book about a dog being a dog. The dog smelt a yummy smell coming from the first ever annual barbecue cook-off. This peaked the dogs interest and she made her way to Mousopolis. While the dog was doing her dogly duties, she practically destroys mourolopis. The mice spend the majority of their time trying finding ways to successfully get rid of the Dogzilla. They finally successfully do so by attempting to give her a bath. Th
Dec 19, 2008 Caleb rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I don't think this worked all that well as Kat Kong, on account of dogs and mice not having the same sort of relationship as cats and mice, although the imagery was pretty cool. Godzilla doesn't lend itself to the sort of one-for-one parody that King Kong does, and so this doesn't really play off Godzilla the way Kat Kong played off of its monster movie inspiration.

But what I really disliked about it was that the mice were barbecuing mice-sized ribs and drumbsticks, and it was the smell of this
Karen Fisher
Jan 19, 2016 Karen Fisher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Biased review. This is my absolute favorite children's book because one of our dogs, Radner, is one of the puppies pictured at the end. EVERY child should have this book!
Jan 30, 2015 Tracy rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-children
Must be read with appropriate squeaky mouse and monster dog voices to illicit a multitude of giggles from five year olds.
Jul 28, 2012 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Oh gosh, this picture book is too cute! Will the residents of Mouseopolis escape the terrors of the dreaded Dogzilla? Find out in Dav Pilkey's Dogzilla!
Steph (loves water)
Feb 29, 2016 Steph (loves water) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: me-my-son
Read this many times with my son, and laughed hysterically every time!
Vanessa Westen
Mice again have to take back their city but this time, from a dog! The mice end up scaring the dog back into the volcano with a bath and he was never to be heard from again.
Jul 26, 2015 Alys rated it it was amazing
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book: Picture book

Estimate of age level of interest: 3-10 year olds

Estimate of reading level:
Grade level Equivalent: 3.7
Lexile Measure: AD720L
DRA: 20
Guided Reading: L

Brief description: Out of the volcano came the most horrifying creature known to all mouse-kind! It's Dogzilla. She terrorizes the town of mouseopolous, chewing the furniture store and doing dog-like things. How will the mice get rid of her? This is a super funny book that children
Anthony Morello
Apr 02, 2016 Anthony Morello rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdg-291-reviews
Dogzilla is the parody story of a city of mice fighting against the invasion of the fiendish pooch. Dogzilla erupts from a volcano upon smelling the food from the mice's barbecue cook-off and begins terrorizing Mouseapolis in a Godzilla-like fashion. The mice assemble their bravest team to combat Dogzilla, who stifles their offense until they devise a plan to scare the dog in a way all dogs are scared. Dogzilla returns to her volcano, but at the second annual barbecue cook-off Mouseapolis gets i ...more
Edward Creter
From the depths of the imagination of Dav Pilkey, the legend behind the Saga of Captain Underpants, the most controversial and beloved superhero adventure of ALL TIME....comes the horror of the most lovable monster dog ever to be unleashed (ha ha)...DOGZILLA! With a purposeful grimace and a terrible snarl he wags his tail and brings high tension wires down! (You Blue Oyster Cult fans, you know how this goes!) He picks up a bus and he throws it back down then chases a speeding taxi's hubcaps thru ...more
Dec 25, 2015 Sandie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Love Dav Pilkey's little kid books...they are so fun!

Kat Kong was the story that started it all for us and it still remains the favorite but we really loved Dogzilla as well. I have been reading Dav Pilkey since boys also both enjoyed him when they were little.

The pictures are real dogs and mice, the actors are listed in the beginning of the book which is great along with the book rating of EG which stands for extremely goofy! They have been photoshopped or something...I'm not sur
Aug 16, 2011 Terry rated it it was amazing
Dav Pilkey never fails to make me laugh!

"Dogzilla" is his take on 'Godzilla' of course, and Mr. Pilkey remains true to form once again with this one. With a little help from some of his furry friends and several small props, he has masterfully re-created an army once again to fight the villainous "Dogzilla". You must see the pictures and experience Mr. Pilkey's creative genius for yourself. You won't regret it.

Warning for parents, guardians, teachers and librarians: These are not just your kids
An all time favorite childhood book that still remains among them two decades later! It is sooo funny and I love the wordplay, though I think it would be even funnier if I'd seen any Godzilla films. Even so, it's quite impossible to read this book without laughing, chuckling, and giggling, just like with the other book in this series, Kat Kong. The photo collage ("heavily retouched [in a non-photoshop way] with acrylic paint") illustrations are an amazing complement to this parody.
Tim Protiva
I consider this a classic that I still use for Storytime around Halloween. School Library Journal said it best... “Dogzilla rises from a volcano to break up the First Annual Mousopolis Barbecue Cook-Off, and scatter the Big Cheese’s troops with her fearsome doggy breath--but the threat of a bath sends her scurrying back to her mountain. Illustrations are painted in bright acrylics around cleverly trimmed and placed photographs of Pilkey’s pet mice, cat, and corgi, for a wonderfully silly look, a ...more
Kristine Hall
Oct 07, 2013 Kristine Hall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
I read this book to a group of kindergartners, and they were amused -- but not nearly as much as me! The key, I found, is that little kids don't know Godzilla, so that basic starting line of humor is lost.

Having said that, the photographs and accompanying text make this book very funny. (who doesn't like to see a mouse in uniform? A slobbery, clueless looking pup terrorizing the city?)

The book's been out a while, but telling kids that DOGZILLA was written by the same guy that wrote the CAPTAIN U
Allison Zingale
Sep 17, 2012 Allison Zingale rated it really liked it
The mixed media in this book was hilarious and the story was full of puns and humor. I loved it! This same author wrote the Captain Underpants series- I think he is a pro at getting kids to smile. Although this is based off of Godzilla, there really is not any violence. I really want to take this into the Boys and Girls Club that I volunteer at. I know the kids would LOVE it. If you are a teacher and really want to find a message for the kids to absorb, I would go with "teamwork." The mice all w ...more
Dec 07, 2010 Cheetah rated it it was amazing
Dogzilla is the funniest short story I've ever read. It's really neat that the pictures in this book are pictures of real animals! Even adults can laugh along to this story. I first read this book in a reading book that had short stories in it. It was part of my school work so before I read this story I thought it was really boring. From the moment I started reading I was laughing hysterically! The next time I go to the library I'm picking up Kat Kong and I can't wait!
Jan 28, 2011 Debra rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I enjoy Dav Pilkey's picture books more than the Captain Underpants series. 'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving is still my favorite, but this was fun. The humor is perfect for the grade levels I work with.

A city full of mice is overtaken by a hungry dog who came out of a volcano. The mice must rid their city of this menace and do so by bubble bath. Photos of real animals mixed with painted scenes. Very clever. Looking forward to Catzilla.
Jan 14, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a top favorite in our house, with my son choosing it as his selection to have read by me in his classroom in honor of his 6th birthday. It concerns the good citizens of Mouseopolis, who are enduring the havoc wreaked by that horrible canine, Dogzilla. But the mice team up to defeat Dogzilla with a scheme that is as gentle as it is ingenious. Filled with silly puns and illustrated with collages including photos of the star mice and dogs, this one is a charmer.
Mia Balsamo
Sep 23, 2012 Mia Balsamo rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
PB31: I think that Dav Pilkey is a genius for combining illustrations with real life pictures of dogs and mice. It makes for a hilarious little story because facial expressions that you would expect an illustrator to draw on for their characters are not present because they are animals who do not really have expressions. It is a very cute story and I love how at the end of the story the mice do not expect the dog to have puppies, and the puppies are adorable!
Megan Morris
Mar 28, 2015 Megan Morris rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-selection
I thought this book was so cute. The story made me literally laugh, I am sure young children would absolutely love this. The story line was great and the pictures were what made me laugh the most. The pictures were a painting with real photos on top of the painting. I remember reading this book when I younger and I still found that I liked this book the same, if not more.
Sep 30, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
This was short and adorable. The story was fun and silly. My kids love little animals and they thought the mixed media pictures (real photos of the mice and dog) with clipped paper backgrounds and drawing details were funny. There would be a picture of a mouse with a helmet obviously pasted on top.
Meg McGregor
Feb 26, 2015 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Dav Pilkey is known for his silliness and this story is a real treat!

Dogzilla comes up out of the volcano, after smelling the Barbecue Cook-Off.

The mice do everything they can to dispatch her; but she is after all, Dogzilla; they are mice. It seems the mice cannot win.

Then, the Big Cheese,comes up with a plan to get rid of the dog.

I love the ending. It is precious!
Jan 01, 2008 Mrs.Butter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!!
I loved this book! it was making me crack up! (I do not look pretty when I crack up so I had to hide my face behind the book and people would ask "what is wroung Sophie?" That would make me crack up even more! :P) SO to the few people who have not read this book...
READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Avid Reader
Mar 11, 2014 Avid Reader rated it it was amazing
I've read this book so many times and continue to do so. Very cleverly written by the author to where children love the story and real pictures of his animals used in the drawings along with the cleverest puns on an adult dry humor side. My almost 16 year old daughter still has me read this one to her about once a month or so.
  • The Dumb Bunnies' Easter (The Dumb Bunnies, #2)
  • Owen and Mzee: The Language of Friendship
  • Chickens to the Rescue
  • Cozy Classics: Pride and Prejudice
  • Pigsty
  • Froggy's Halloween
David "Dav" Pilkey (b. March 4, 1966), is a popular children's author and artist. Pilkey is best known as the author and illustrator of the Captain Underpants book series. He lives near Seattle, Washington with his wife, Sayuri.

More about Dav Pilkey...