Start by marking “Side Man” as Want to Read:
Side Man
Preview

Side Man

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Lauded by Peter Marks of The New York Times as "powerfully unsettling…an enormously moving play," Side Man is the comic and tender story of Clifford, a young man who looks back on his family life; prior to leaving home, Clifford reconciles the role that he has long played as parent to his parents. Smoothly gliding between present and past, the play tells the story of a tim ...more
Published January 8th 1999 by Grove Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Side Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Side Man

Lauren
It wasn’t until I read the cast list that I realized I had seen the original Broadway production of Side Man. I don’t mean that as a slight to the play. It’s simply that Edie Falco was so fantastic that she’s the only detail I remember about that play (well, that and the music – I remember how much I liked how the music intertwined with the story). But mostly, I remember watching Ms. Falco and being stunned she wasn’t better known. Shortly thereafter, she was cast on The Sopranos.

I’m glad I read
Paul Secor
Saw the Broadway production. I remember coming home and putting some Clifford Brown on the box - specifically the "last" recording (which actually wasn't the last, but the legend is a good one) referred to in the play - and some Don Joseph. I'm sure that's part of what Warren Leight intended the play to inspire people to do.

When I took this book from the shelf to post here, I found a Playbill inside and also a N.Y. Times obituary for Donald Leight, Warren Leight's father, who was the main inspir
Justin
Yes, the 'son of crazy parents' story has been told over and over again... but when you set it against the fall of jazz - it takes on a new meaning. I think this play works better in production than on the page, however. If you haven't seen this play, you should. It's funny and heartbreaking and leaves you wanting to go out and find all the jazz you can your hands on to listen to.
Brittany Petruzzi
Yet another depressing Tony-winner. At least this one was well-written and had a little bit of something to say about the weird sort of loneliness of the dedicated artist. That and it named a bunch of excellent jazz songs I'd never (consciously) heard before.
Derick Lugo
I'm not sure how I got a hold of this play, but I'm glad I found it on my bookshelf. I'm definitely going to check out some of the jazz musicians that were mentioned.
Brynn
Interesting world of characters. Traditional (bordering or boring) 'son of crazy parents' narrative.
April
I wouldn't say this story offers anything new or ground-breaking, but it was fairly enjoyable.
Andrew
A very good play. Read it.
Elissa
Elissa marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Nathan Inzerillo
Nathan Inzerillo marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Jess
Jess added it
Dec 10, 2014
Janae
Janae marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
J3llyfish
J3llyfish marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Glimmer, Glimmer, and Shine Stray Cats No Foreigners Beyond This Point Dark, No Sugar Fame Takes a Holiday