Side Man

Side Man

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Lauded by Peter Marks of The New York Times as "powerfully unsettling…an enormously moving play," Side Man is the comic and tender story of Clifford, a young man who looks back on his family life; prior to leaving home, Clifford reconciles the role that he has long played as parent to his parents. Smoothly gliding between present and past, the play tells the story of a tim...more
Published January 8th 1999 by Grove Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Side Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Side Man

Paul Secor
Saw the Broadway production. I remember coming home and putting some Clifford Brown on the box - specifically the "last" recording (which actually wasn't the last, but the legend is a good one) referred to in the play - and some Don Joseph. I'm sure that's part of what Warren Leight intended the play to inspire people to do.

When I took this book from the shelf to post here, I found a Playbill inside and also a N.Y. Times obituary for Donald Leight, Warren Leight's father, who was the main inspir...more
Justin
Yes, the 'son of crazy parents' story has been told over and over again... but when you set it against the fall of jazz - it takes on a new meaning. I think this play works better in production than on the page, however. If you haven't seen this play, you should. It's funny and heartbreaking and leaves you wanting to go out and find all the jazz you can your hands on to listen to.
Brittany Petruzzi
Yet another depressing Tony-winner. At least this one was well-written and had a little bit of something to say about the weird sort of loneliness of the dedicated artist. That and it named a bunch of excellent jazz songs I'd never (consciously) heard before.
Brynn
Interesting world of characters. Traditional (bordering or boring) 'son of crazy parents' narrative.
April
I wouldn't say this story offers anything new or ground-breaking, but it was fairly enjoyable.
Andrew
A very good play. Read it.
David
David marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
J3llyfish
J3llyfish marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2013
Trevor
Trevor is currently reading it
Oct 11, 2013
Kate
Kate is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2013
Nicki
Nicki marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
Thomas
Thomas added it
Aug 14, 2013
Jennifer Jacobs
Jennifer Jacobs marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
Lizzie
Lizzie added it
Aug 03, 2013
Steve
Steve added it
May 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Glimmer, Glimmer, and Shine Stray Cats No Foreigners Beyond This Point Dark, No Sugar Fame Takes a Holiday