Start by marking “Native Tongue (The Specialists, #4)” as Want to Read:
Native Tongue (The Specialists, #4)

Native Tongue (The Specialists #4)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,683 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
GiGi is back again and on a brandnew mission in the fourth book in this original series!

Lovable GiGi is pairing up with expert linguist Darren, aka Parrot, on a mission to South America. When a centuries-old vase is found in a cave full of hieroglyphics, it is discovered that this vase was important to at least fifteen different North American and South American Indian tr

Published (first published July 31st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Native Tongue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Native Tongue

Karen Syed
Sep 04, 2008 Karen Syed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, kids
I can't seem to find enough really good adjectives to describe Shannon Greenland's writing. The Specialists Young Adult series has become one of my favorites and that is saying a lot for a 43-year-old woman with no children.

NATIVE TONGUE is a bit of a departure from the series as it has a much more serious tone than the previous books. But it is by far the best. Parrott is a wonderful character with some deeply emotional issues. The premise of family is much stronger in this book than the others
Victoria
Sep 02, 2015 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I'm glad it was Parrot we got to see next -- I didn't think I'd like his backstory as much until it was revealed, which, was pretty serious.

Gigi in this gets kind of a second love interest? I liked him and I usually hate (when I say hate, I mean hate) love triangles but, this isn't really one of those. I think the person who is the second character here does a good job and Greenland as always gets it pretty right when writing about these characters.

(view spoiler)
Sara
Apr 25, 2009 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, 2009
3.5 stars. In this installment, GiGi is sent on a mission to recover an artifact that a number of tribes in a fictional country are after because of its supposed mystical powers, and she spends most of her time in a cave in the jungle, trying to decipher hieroglyphics. Standard fare for the series. However, what made this book stand out from the previous ones is that there was (finally!) character growth, with the heroine even realizing how far she's come and matured. I liked that a lot, as too ...more
LadyTechie
Jul 19, 2011 LadyTechie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am totally enamored of this series and very sorry that I only have one book left. The wonderful thing is the author made it a free pdf download and I am reading it on my Nook. I was thinking about these stories last night and decided one of the things I like about them is seeing teens that have had extremely hard circumstances, from loss of parents to being homeless, have a chance to still have families and good role models in their lives. These are just great stories that show each of the tea ...more
Ally
Jul 06, 2014 Ally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Native Tongue is a thriller about espionage and James Bondish things. This time, Greenland focuses on another part of the group. This time, it is Parrot, who is an expert on languages and tongues. He is a bit darker than GiGi, but not as dark as Frankie who witnessed the death of his family (which is tragic, of course). Oh, I should always mention Beaker. She had it pretty easy compared to the boys. And what is up with this? Boys and tragic history? What is going on with this? First, David. Then ...more
Chanin Malley
This book showed a Gigi that had matured one that was still her lovable self but who had grown into someone who didn't need validation.I enjoyed this book though i have to wonder if one of the plots is to pair everyone up with someone every book.It was nice to see a love interest for Gigi and for the kiss to make her realize what is truly important in her life.I really did enjoy this series and though it took me a little longer than the others because the book did kinda of lag in some areas I'm ...more
Booker Like a Hooker
SHE HAS A SİSTER?! HOLY SHİT!!!!! AND 15 older than Kelly...HOLY SHİT!!!
F
Apr 05, 2013 F rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted more David! But all in all, a pretty good book! :)
Jeff Crosby
Aug 22, 2014 Jeff Crosby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espionage, 2014, ya
This book is a sharp contrast to the first three volumes of the series for two reasons. First, this is the oddest story. The first three books are traditional espionage/thriller tales. This volume is improbable and odd. It is also much more serious in tone, with very little humor. At the same time, it is an interesting tale.
Jordan (The Heart of a Book Blogger)
This review and more can be found at The Heart of a Book Blogger.

The Specialists is a younger YA series. They’re quick, fun reads about a group of teenagers with special abilities who have been recruited to work for a government program. I borrowed the first from a friend in May, and then borrowed the next three from the library. I think a younger audience would enjoy these books a lot.
Nicole
I almost loved this book. :) Character building. Action. Suspense.

But GiGi and David. Whyyyyyy? My heart is in pieces. Seriously.
Abby
May 02, 2015 Abby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book just as much I loved the others!! Professor Quirk was great- a male Gigi!
Victoria
Jul 11, 2015 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Gigi...
T.M. Carper
Aug 05, 2011 T.M. Carper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great addition to the series focuses on Parrot's background and has GiGi's affections for David called into question as she meets "Quirk", a young professor working for IPNC on their latest mission. The finale is a fast-paced action sequence that leaves readers flipping through the pages.
Mary
May 23, 2009 Mary marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
hmm, this isnt out yet.
no wonder none of the libraries have it yet.
and the one before it isnt in librarys 'cause it just got out a few months ago.
well, anyway, this one comes out the last day of july.
(7-31-08)
Sofia Anwar
Aug 03, 2013 Sofia Anwar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is A-MA-ZING!!! I read it like a month ago and I was freaking crying when I finished! I know, annoying, right? But OMG,I can just imagine life as a secret agent! I love this book so much!
Shahnaz
I LIKE RANDY! HAHAHAHA when would you see a guy seeing a girl with higher IQ and say she's hot? Only Randy does! LOL
This is one of the best of the series aside of Model Spy. Love it!
Jenni
Sep 26, 2008 Jenni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, don't leave me hanging like that! I am way too emotional about upsets in relationships, and you CAN'T LEAVE ME WORRIED ABOUT SOMEONE FOR A YEAR!!!
Angela
Nov 26, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series. It took me a long time to get to this book, but I am glad I finally pulled it out!
Can't wait to read the next one.
Ellie
Jan 01, 2013 Ellie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it!! Would have liked to have more suspenseful moments in the middle and I find with this series the endings are just a bit rushed.
Kayte
Jun 15, 2013 Kayte rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was different from the rest. It didn't carry the same feeling as the rest of the book in the series. I was a little disappointed.
Lauren Davis
Apr 27, 2015 Lauren Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some parts could have been written better and GiGi could have been hurt. Wish nothing had happened between David and her.
Ednauh
Jun 05, 2009 Ednauh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is one of her really good books it was amazing when does the next book come out. I found no fault in this book
Shawna
Apr 25, 2011 Shawna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this short, easy-to-read series; but I wish they had a little more "spyness." It's a fun idea.
Kristen
This book was good, but it wasn't nearly as good as the others...I was expecting a lot more from this book.
Allie
Jun 03, 2012 Allie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Predictable. I liked the idea for the plot, but the end was not surprising at all.
Goldie
I wish there will be a spin-off for Team Three, if ever! The series is just really fun :)
Vivien
Jun 28, 2014 Vivien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is more intense compared to the first three books. Can't wait to read the last one!!
Lara Bartolome
Oct 04, 2012 Lara Bartolome rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
April 3, 2012 - Finished reading Book 5: Fight to the Finish
  • Killer Spirit (The Squad, #2)
  • To Hawaii, with Love (Spy Goddess, #2)
  • Death by Denim (Death By Mysteries, #3)
  • Double Crossed: A Spies and Thieves Story (Gallagher Girls, #5.5; Heist Society, #2.5)
  • The Prisoner (Henderson's Boys, #5)
  • Two Lies and a Spy (Two Lies and a Spy, #1)
  • Spy High Mission Two: Chaos Rising
  • A Girl Named Digit (Digit, #1)
  • Sidekick (Sidekick in the City, #1)
  • False Impressions (Nancy Drew: Files, #43)
  • Family Affairs (Secrets of My Hollywood Life, #3)
  • No Colder Place (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #4)
  • Black Widow #4
  • Stadt aus Trug und Schatten (Schattenwelt, #1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Freefall, Part 3 (Season 9, #3)
  • A Spy Like Me (Circle of Spies, #1)
Shannon Greenland, or S. E. Green, is the award winning author of the thriller, KILLER INSTINCT, the spy series, THE SPECIALISTS, and the romance, THE SUMMER MY LIFE BEGAN. She lives off the coast of Florida with her very grouchy dog.
More about Shannon Greenland...

The Specialists (5 books)
  • Model Spy (The Specialists, #1)
  • Down to the Wire (The Specialists, #2)
  • The Winning Element (The Specialists, #3)
  • Fight to the Finish (The Specialists, #5)