Nus de Pessoas Famosas

Nus de Pessoas Famosas

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  6,308 ratings  ·  344 reviews
Sometimes it seems like every standup comedian worth his or her salt just has to do the book thing, and you might feel that yet another warmed-over stage routine is the last thing you need taking up valuable bookshelf space. Jon Stewart's book will come as an extremely pleasant surprise. He eschews the standard standup patter and instead gives us 18 short comic essays in a...more
Published December 2004 by Gradiva (first published 1998)

Punk
Humor. These short fiction pieces are supposed to be funny, and I did laugh a few times, but mostly I felt like something was missing. It looks and sounds like it should be funny: Martha Stewart's decorating tips for vaginas, Lady Di's correspondence with Mother Teresa, the secret Gerald Ford tapes ("Did you know both my names end in d?"), but in almost every case it feels like the joke's been lost in the translation. Stewart's a talented writer with a flair for comedic word choice, and the book...more
Bethany Andrews
From "The Cult"

"I imagine myself as the persuasive leader of a messianic cult. Somewhat of a stretch considering I have yet to be able to sell off a box of Amway products I ordered in 1986. Still, would I have the strength? Would I be able to overcome my fear of death, zealous crowds and death by zealous crowds? Would I be able to keep a straight face as I took command of people's lives with rhetoric I thought of when I was high? Would I understand the intricacies of forming a tax-exempt organiz...more
Siria
Sporadically amusing, but nowhere near as funny as I would have expected from Jon Stewart. Some of these essays had the potential to be truly, caustically funny—Martha Stewart's tips on how to tastefully decorate your vagina; Larry King interviewing Adolf Hitler—but others either suffered obviously from not being delivered orally by Stewart, with the timing and pacing and inflection that he does so well, or were just plain silly. The opening story in particular, the one about the Kennedys, was r...more
Deborah
I started as a fan of Jon Stewart during his run on MTV, and it just increased at a ridiculous speed between his comedy central special where he talks about going to the proctologist, this book, and eventually settling in with the Daily Show (I know, I know, I used to be obsessed with Craig Kilborne as well, so sue me). But this book is just hilarious and smart and really shows how brillant he is and would soon show.

I used to lend people this book in good faith that they would return it, but it'...more
Tommy
A very funny book and, along with Steve Martin's "Pure Drivel" and Chris Buckley's "Wry Martinis", my impetus to write my first (quite sloppy) collection of essays on pop culture, "Smirking into the Abyss".

Jon juxtaposes some great cultural icons, such as the correspondences between Princess Diana and Mother Teresa, Vincent Van Gogh trying to communicate with his brother in an internet chat room, The Last Supper taking place in a trendy restaurant, Hitler guesting on "Larry King", and my favorit...more
Jonathan
This collection from 1998 will be disappointing for most of Stewart's fans (I am one). The first story is a pretty good dissection of the Kennedy family mythos which nicely demonstrates Stewart's raunchy-but-good-natured wit. Unfortunately, the rest of the book is pretty pointless: juvenile, facile, and rarely funny. The stories seem to grope toward satire, but with neither the deserving targets nor the clear moral point of view that make the Daily Show so sharp, articulate, and entertaining. Th...more
Bryan
Mar 15, 2010 Bryan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Daily Show fans
A short, entertaining read from the host of The Daily Show. Billed as a collection of "essays", it is an eclectic collection of fictional 3rd-person accounts from a variety of real and imagined characters. Not being familiar with the format going in, it took a chapter before I realized what I was reading. Once aware, pure funny. Only thing that dragged was fact that book is more than 10 years old, so several of the "topical" references are not only dated but confusing (Hanson chapter would have...more
Chris
This was a present from some friends, for which I am very thankful. It's a series of comedic essays, similar to Steve Martin's Pure Drivel or Woody Allen's Without Feathers, and it is quite funny. Not really laugh-out-loud funny, but funny. I think Stewart's comedy is best rendered as a spoken art. He's fantastic with inflection and timing, which unfortunately doesn't translate so well onto the page.

Still and all, there's a lot of good stuff in here. "The Devil and William Gates" is excellent, a...more
Chelsea
I have to say that I *do* have more intellectual reading material on my list, but the first thing that I've gotten myself to finish lately is John Stewart's Naked Pictures of Famous People. I've only in the past year or so become a "Daily Show" viewer. I watched it many, many years ago, and not understanding much of politics and why the show's even supposed to be funny, I panned it. That said, I still usually fast-forward through the people that aren't JS. They just tend to annoy the piss out of...more
Dan
Apr 24, 2010 Dan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Daily Show fans, satire fans, political humor fans, Jewish humor fans
"During the spring of 1935," the first entry begins, "I had the good fortune of making as my close acquaintance none other than John F. (Jack) Kennedy." Thus begins a romp through the fantastic and absurdly imagined worlds of the rich and famous, which I somehow discovered in the non-fiction section of my local library. Perhaps not as topical 10+ years on, Naked Pictures is still no less hilarious.

Fans of the Daily Show will recognize Stewart's usual dry wit in dealing with celebrity, while fans...more
Sarah Sammis
I have relatives who are rabid fans of The Daily Show. I've watched clips now and then but never a full show. So when I came across Naked Pictures of Famous People by Jon Stewart from before he was hosting The Daily Show I thought I should give it a read.

This short book of satire has eighteen essays crammed into 163 pages. There are all number of different famous people from the Kennedys, the Hansons, Martha Stewart, Princess Diana and Mother Theresa, Hitler and Leonardo da Vinci among others. E...more
jenn
I thought this was really funny. It was a gift, so I wasn't nessarily expecting much, and since the back cover called it a collection of essays, I assumed it was another of those "That One Pundit Writes the Kind of Stuff He Says on TV" books. But this is fiction written before Stewart hosted TDS, so it wasn't what you'd think.

Some of the cultural references are really specific, and I can see why that turns some readers off. The story about the Kennedys is only really funny if you know a lot of K...more
Heather
i finished this a few days ago and only then realized how i was relating some of it to things that i was finding funny. how this book helped me understand the how and why some things are funny to me, and how to build off of that. which is in itself funny, since that's certainly not the point of this book, but as someone who gets a high off making people laugh, it certainly was a nice bonus for my personage.

as to the contents...this book's first two chapters are pretty uneven, and while there ar...more
Jesse Houle
Aug 31, 2009 Jesse Houle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jesse by: Katie Walsh
This book made me lol from time to time but there were also a few moments where I felt it dragged a bit. There were also a lot of references (and yes, this could be more the fault of he reader than the writer) to people I wasn't familiar enough with to probably understand all of his refernces... though Stewart's referncing of popular and not-so-popular public and historical figures is not quite to the caliber of Dennis Miller's focus on obscurity. America hands down beats Naked Pictures of Famou...more
Joshua
Jon Stewart is a pretty funny guy.

That said I expected a lot more more from this collection of his essays. Of them only the first in the book ("Breakfast at Kennedy's") stood out, which is why this is getting 2 stars rather than one. The rest, while I appreciated his mixing absurdist comedy with Borscht Belt humor, seemed strained. The book as a collection was disjointed and seemed cobbled together as an effort to cash in on his early popularity by publishing... well... anything.
Elena
It was funny and short. But I think I'm to out of the political loop to enjoy some of the older political jokes or references. I particularly liked the New Judaism essay. I guess with my religious background, or lack there of, I like things that mock religious absurdities. I enjoyed the picture of religions as companies tring to sell there producte with a mascot. Over all I enjoyed the read. I think I'll probably read his other book soon as well.
Rhonda
I enjoyed this book to no end...well, until it ended. ;)

I feel like I was snickering through most of it if not laughing out loud for the rest. I especially enjoyed the chapters with Hanson's Christmas letters & the Larry King interview of Hitler. Oh & the Last Supper at "Jerry's" in Jerusalem. *snickers* See? Still snickering.

I wouldn't be surprised if I re-read this at some point. My love of Jon Stewart apparently knows no bounds.
Colie!
It's incredible what a book written for its time is like shortly after that time has expired... this is pure late nineties. The Zeitgeist is so thick you can spread it on your bagel. Despite the fact that you get that eerie cringe of an outdated joke (think Monica Lewinsky jabs in this day and age) every now and then, it's still a fun read for passing an afternoon without internet or tv (which is how I employed it.)
W.B.
He's a good writer. Many of these sketches and essays are very funny. My favorites included the correspondence between Lady Di and Mother Theresa, and the Hanson Family Christmas Letters (though a bit dated now I guess--who's Hanson, right?) end awesomely. The satire of the Kennedy family also works, and there's a lot of Jewish humor that's still very funny for goyim. I don't watch him on t.v. but I liked this.
Pedro
Jon Stewart es un genio de la comedia inteligente y este modesto libro es un pequeño ensayo humorístico que ve de manera inteligente los clichés y estereotipos en la vida política y el mundo del entretenimiento en Estados Unidos Unidos, en general. Destacan la "correspondencia" entre Lady Diana y la Madre Teresa, el cuaderno de Da Vinci y la fórmula para un espectáculo de premiaciones.
Patrick Breen
Feb 02, 2009 Patrick Breen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This book has many hilarious stories. From a young jewish boy spending time at the Kennedy Compound toChristmas with the Hanson family(mmmbop)! Also, check out Larry King's interview with Hitler and not to mention Martha Stewart's decorative tips for a certain part of the female anatomy. I could not stop laughing at this book!
Cyndy
I am a big fan of "The Daily Show" so when I saw this book by Jon Stewart at the library, I had to read it. Some of it was pretty funny - other parts not so (the chat room part).

At any rate, it's a quick read. And I needed a break from the depressing stories in "Say You're One of Them."
Josh
Surprisingly juvenile and annoyingly one-note. Each story is a one-joke pony... the Kennedys were elitist and cruel sans torturers, Princess Diana was elitist and self-involved, Hanson was not just a band but a band of Jesus freaks, etc. Safe, unfunny "humor" by a "comedy expert" "grownup."
Kathleen
A quite amusing selection of humorous, shall we call them... essays? Published in '98 one or two of them are a little dated (specifically the one on AOL chat rooms, do people still do that?), but they are all completely hilarious. I highly recommend this book for a quick laugh.
Jeff Brateman
There were about 12 stories in this book, and I laughed at about 3 of them. They were all near the beginning. :( Jon Stewart is funny, and I love The Daily Show, but this just pretty much sucked. I can see how he was trying to be funny most of the time, but it just wasn't.
Keith
Jon Stewart is HYSTERICAL. I found myself laughing uncontrollably out loud and almost peeing myself at what he wrote. Man O Man the chapters on decorating your vagina with Martha Stewart, The Hanson Family & The Kennedy's are reason enough to buy and read this book!!!
Dinah
Eh... I guess this book is occasionally clever? Stewart certainly knows his history, and gets in a good rib at seminal figures every twenty pages or so, but the majority of chapters/vignettes in this book were honestly a slog. I'll be sticking to the Daily Show.
Diane
All of these stories are great... but the book is worth buying just for the piece Lenny Bruce: The Making of a Sitcom. I have the words "Greetings from Miss America" written in lipstick on my vanity stand mirror (read it and you'll get it).
Maria
Maybe I wasn't wearing my smarty pants when I was reading this because Stewart's topical and satirical wit just went over my head. I wanted to like this so much more than I actually did. I'll stick to my nightly fix of The Daily Show.
Though most of what I read was very humorous, I feel like I'm not well enough educated to truly appreciate the whole book. So, if you are more attentive to politics and/or current events than I am, you would most likely enjoy it a lot.
  • Nothing's Sacred
  • Pure Drivel
  • The Onion's Finest News Reporting, Volume 1
  • More Information Than You Require
  • Boogers Are My Beat: More Lies, But Some Actual Journalism!
  • When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?
  • I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears and Other Intriguing Idioms From Around the World
  • Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot
  • New Rules: Polite Musings from a Timid Observer
  • Twitter Wit: Brilliance in 140 Characters or Less
  • Wigfield: The Can-Do Town That Just May Not
  • And Here's the Kicker: Conversations with 21 Top Humor Writers on their Craft and the Industry
  • I Drink for a Reason
Jon Stewart (born Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz) is an American comedian, satirist, actor, writer, Pundit, and producer. He is best known as the host of Comedy Central’s The Daily Show and for his political satire.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See authors with similar names here.

Stewart started as a stand-up comedian, but later branched out to...more
More about Jon Stewart...
America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction Earth (The Book): A Visitor's Guide to the Human Race Kierkegaard Revisited: Proceedings from the Conference "Kierkegaard and the Meaning of Meaning It," Copenhagen, May 5-9, 1996 The Unity of Content and Form in Philosophical Writing: The Perils of Conformity The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Presents America (The Book) Teacher's Edition: A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction