Start by marking “Van Helsing” as Want to Read:
Van Helsing

Van Helsing

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  1,434 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Deep in the mountains of nineteenth-century Carpathia lies the mysterious and mythic land of Transylvania, a world where evil is ever-present, where danger rises as the sun sets, and where monsters such as Count Dracula, the Wolf Man, and Frankenstein's Monster take form and inhabit man's deepest nightmares -- terrifying legends who outlive generations, defying repeated at ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Van Helsing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Van Helsing

Lucy Herondale

This wasn't a great book, but Van Helsing is the best vampire movie ever made, in my modest opinion, so of course I would read it.

That being said, I really enjoyed the insight into the minds of characters like Anna Valerious, the Frankenstein monster, Carl and even Dracula and his brides.

I only wish it hadn't ended the way it did. I will never recover from that.
Elaina
Oct 03, 2008 Elaina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
its about a man that saves transivania from dracula that wants to populate the world with thousands of baby vampires, its a good book and an exellent movie, i love it when he is a werewolf, hes also awesome when hes a werewolf on the movie!
Beitris_
Jan 19, 2017 Beitris_ rated it liked it
Anche se non abbia ottenuto delle critiche tanto positive, il film mi è piaciuto molto.
1887. I mostri e le creature dei romanzi gotici più famosi vivono e scorrazzano per l'Europa: abbiamo Mr. Hyde, Frankenstein e la sue creatura, lupi mannari e ovviamente Dracula

(Troppo figo asdfgghjkl)

[Per chi come me ama i romanzi gotici, vedere tutti questi personaggi convivere ed interagire tra loro è fantastico. Un mega Crossover.]

Torniamo alla trama.
Il nostro Van Helsing lavora per il Vaticano, più pre
Christine_v
I liked the movie and when I saw that I wanted to read it. It was a good read. It gives you another perspective of the story.
I liked Dracula already but I loved him more through the book. Van Helsing is somewhat more stern and melancholic than I imagined him, Anna has a thing for "not letting the others down", Carl is so cute and the brides, who I really liked in the movie, are bimbos.
I would recomend it to those who enjoyed the film.
Xochitl
Jun 02, 2008 Xochitl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good book and movie
Jeff
Jun 26, 2009 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fiction
There was not much different from the movie in this novelization. I enjoyed it as much as I did the movie. Very quick read.
Lexi
Oct 04, 2008 Lexi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the movie, yet somehow a book adapted from a movie turned out better than the movie itself.
Mallory
May 27, 2011 Mallory rated it really liked it
I really recommend this for Van Helsing fans!
Sam
Sep 10, 2013 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much word for word of the film but has a very good prologue to get you into the book and how Dracula arrives in the same story as Dr. Frankenstein!
Nynke
Apr 04, 2016 Nynke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a very /good/ book, but it's Van Helsing.
Kelly
Okay, so what came first: the chicken or the egg, the book or the movie? It’s one of life’s little mysteries along with locks on a 24-hour store and the ingredients of a hot dog. I have been debating all night if the movie was based on the book or the book was based on the movie. Why you ask? I need someone to blame and I may not just stop there. Oh no, I have plans for this book. Big plans, secret plans.

The plot was unimaginative, pedestrian and sleep inducing. The story revolved around the ac
Alexis Drake
May 20, 2015 Alexis Drake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, vampiri
4,5/5
E’ nato prima l’uovo o la gallina? O come in questo caso, è nato prima il libro o prima il film?
Solo in questo caso, rarissimo, è nato prima il film, come capiamo dalla copertina in cui c’è scritto che è basato sulla sceneggiatura di Stephen Sommers, regista del film.
Io adoro questo film. So che non piace a tutti per l’accozzaglia di mostri, situazioni e personaggi, ma a me è sempre piaciuto. Mi piace Hugh Jackman, adoro i costumi, e ogni volta che mi rivedo il dvd guardo sempre le papere s
Wendy Koedoot
Mar 11, 2016 Wendy Koedoot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dit keer een wat ouder boek, ik heb dit doorgeef boeken gekregen via de Facebook groep het Doorgeefboek. Mijn recensie zal daarom ook op “In de boekenkast” komen te staan.
Dit verhaal speelt zich af in de 19e eeuw in de donkere bergen van Karpatië, in Transsylvanië. Dat gebied is berucht… zodra het donker is komen het Monster van Frankenstein, Graaf Dracula en de Wolfman de bevolking lastig vallen. In opdracht van een geheime orde is er een man die ze aan kan, de door sommige gehate en door ander
Jack Walters
This book is, for the most part, a direct novelization of the film of the same name, with nothing significant added or subtracted excepting a couple of chapters detailing the backstory of Dr. Frankenstein and his creation (though I must admit that said chapters were well-done and work a lot better than some of the cringe-worthy stuff I've seen added to film novelizations). If Bram Stoker's original novel were a steak dinner with all the trimmings, then this would be a candy cane by comparison: t ...more
Nicholas
A pretty close match to the movie, so if you liked the movie it's worth reading to get that little extra dimension that print can offer that just isn't captured by the camera. If, on the other hand, you didn't like the movie, avoid this book because, as I said, they're practically the same. If you never saw the movie (and consequently aren't sure if you would like it or not) the book is worth a try. It's a fairly generic plot, the characters are pretty much the standard ones found in the fantasy ...more
Jenieve Cumberland
As always, it seems the books tends to expand more then the motion picture. It's a pretty read, I think I read it in 8th grade. It's always easier to reflect on the feelings of a character in a book because it can be described, and the Frankenstein monster definitely received an upgrade. I guess I have a soft spot for monsters. Hellsing is still his bad ass self, and I liked being able to go back and reflect on what the that silly friar was complaining for (usually whiny characters annoy me, but ...more
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
A poor execution of a poor movie. I expect when reading books that are based on a movie that they gave something more that book didn't. I really don't understand why I start reading this novel since I didn't enjoy the movie but 6 or 7 ago is a long time ago....

Why should you read this book?
1. If you like the movie, I won't advice you but...
2. If you like to suffer.
3. If you like to criticise.

Go read Frankenstein or Dracula!
Amanda
Sep 27, 2016 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Novelizations of films are typically kind of disappointing, and this one is not an exception. It reads more like a description of the movie rather than a retelling of it, and I found myself skimming through a lot of it just to get it out of the way. If you enjoyed the movie in all its horrible gloriousness, it's probably worth the quick read, but otherwise it's probably best to skip it.
Liz Meldon
Oct 20, 2014 Liz Meldon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book ages and ages ago, but I figured I should still leave a little something. I loved the movie, and the novelization added just a little more unf to the movie. So. 5 stars from this huge dork right here.

description brb while I fangirl over this guy.
Justin
This was a quick fast read. A great book if you need to take a break from serious reading. I found it to be a lame story with a lame plot but it was a mindless read and that is what i needed at that time!!!
Azn
Aug 05, 2011 Azn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book solely because I loved the movie as a kid, so I just wanted more of it, I even played the video game, so I can't really judge the quality of the book since I did not consider the book on its own merit.
Sarah Lynch
Oct 08, 2013 Sarah Lynch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the film, and I liked the book even more. The book elaborates on a lot that the movie didn't have time to. Also I think the book gave a more vivid storytelling than the movie did. All in all I thought it was a great read.
Alexis M
this book is awesome!!!!!!!!! It is descriptive and has a thrill of raw exitment. No other book can beat it! twilights better step it up and watch out morgansville vampire series!!!!because this books a hit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alexis Marie
Victor Orozco
Apr 27, 2013 Victor Orozco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice novelization. It added some back story as to how Dr.Frankenstein and Dracula met. Nice little bits of scenes that showed that Van Helsing really cared for Anna. B.
Danielle
Sep 01, 2013 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this book 5 stars cause I really think it was better than the movie. It added to more to all the characters and managed to be exciting and funny.
HarrietSpecter
Jul 18, 2007 HarrietSpecter rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Not well-written, very flat - the 'young adult' or 'junior' novel is better than this. The picture on the front is nice though. *g*
Sabrina
Jan 18, 2009 Sabrina marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have seen most of the movie, and I hope that the book is even better!!!
Bellis
May 22, 2013 Bellis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Points for the plot and the fact I got a few more details to my favourite characters in a film ever. I've seen Van Helsing at least 25 times :)
Jeymei
Sep 17, 2012 Jeymei rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Boring..Books written by the movie suck unless you haven't seen the movie in YEARS
Caroline
Jan 14, 2013 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw the movie before the book, and thought that i'd be really annoyed with the differences. in reality the book and movie were almost identical! overall very good read.
  • Sleepy Hollow: A Novelization (Includes the Classic Short Story)
  • The Chronicles of Riddick
  • The Mummy
  • X-Men
  • The Dark Knight
  • Underworld: Blood Enemy (Underworld, #2)
  • Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
  • Gremlins
  • Angelus (Stargate Atlantis, #11)
  • Blood Ties (Stargate Atlantis, #8)
  • Casualties of War (Stargate Atlantis, #7)
  • Entanglement (Stargate Atlantis, #6)
  • The Many Faces of Van Helsing
  • Stranger in the House
  • Hydra (Stargate SG-1, #13)
  • Supernatural: The Official Companion Season 3 (Supernatural : The Official Companion, #3)
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
  • Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Kevin Ryan is an American writer of many Star Trek books and one episode. He has also written comic books and the novelization of the movie Van Helsing. He lives in New York with his wife and children.

More about Kevin Ryan...

“... So you can remember everything about your life from the last seven years, but nothing before that?"
"Not now, Carl."
"There must be something," Carl said, undeterred. "I remember fighting the Romans at Masada," he said seriously.
He didn't have to see Carl's face to recognise the shock that was there. "That was seventy-three A.D ... ?"
Van Helsing shrugged. "You asked.”
0 likes