Start by marking “Van Helsing” as Want to Read:
Van Helsing

Van Helsing

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  774 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Deep in the mountains of nineteenth-century Carpathia lies the mysterious and mythic land of Transylvania, a world where evil is ever-present, where danger rises as the sun sets, and where monsters such as Count Dracula, the Wolf Man, and Frankenstein's Monster take form and inhabit man's deepest nightmares -- terrifying legends who outlive generations, defying repeated at ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Van Helsing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Van Helsing

Dracula by Bram StokerBound By Blood by Shane K.P. O'NeillBirth Of The Monster by Shane K.P. O'NeillBound By Blood by Shane K.P. O'NeillFor Whom The Bell Tolls (Vlad Dracula, #1) by Shane K.P. O'Neill
Best Books Featuring Dracula
13th out of 71 books — 109 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerLeviathan by Scott WesterfeldBoneshaker by Cherie PriestPerdido Street Station by China MiévilleThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells
Best Steampunk Books
224th out of 692 books — 3,384 voters

More lists with this book...

Elaina
its about a man that saves transivania from dracula that wants to populate the world with thousands of baby vampires, its a good book and an exellent movie, i love it when he is a werewolf, hes also awesome when hes a werewolf on the movie!
Christine_v
I liked the movie and when I saw that I wanted to read it. It was a good read. It gives you another perspective of the story.
I liked Dracula already but I loved him more through the book. Van Helsing is somewhat more stern and melancholic than I imagined him, Anna has a thing for "not letting the others down", Carl is so cute and the brides, who I really liked in the movie, are bimbos.
I would recomend it to those who enjoyed the film.
Sam
Pretty much word for word of the film but has a very good prologue to get you into the book and how Dracula arrives in the same story as Dr. Frankenstein!
Jeff
There was not much different from the movie in this novelization. I enjoyed it as much as I did the movie. Very quick read.
Jack Walters
This book is, for the most part, a direct novelization of the film of the same name, with nothing significant added or subtracted excepting a couple of chapters detailing the backstory of Dr. Frankenstein and his creation (though I must admit that said chapters were well-done and work a lot better than some of the cringe-worthy stuff I've seen added to film novelizations). If Bram Stoker's original novel were a steak dinner with all the trimmings, then this would be a candy cane by comparison: t ...more
Lexi
I love the movie, yet somehow a book adapted from a movie turned out better than the movie itself.
Mallory
I really recommend this for Van Helsing fans!
Xochitl
good book and movie
Kelly
Okay, so what came first: the chicken or the egg, the book or the movie? It’s one of life’s little mysteries along with locks on a 24-hour store and the ingredients of a hot dog. I have been debating all night if the movie was based on the book or the book was based on the movie. Why you ask? I need someone to blame and I may not just stop there. Oh no, I have plans for this book. Big plans, secret plans.

The plot was unimaginative, pedestrian and sleep inducing. The story revolved around the ac
Liz Meldon
I read this book ages and ages ago, but I figured I should still leave a little something. I loved the movie, and the novelization added just a little more unf to the movie. So. 5 stars from this huge dork right here.

description brb while I fangirl over this guy.
Nicholas
A pretty close match to the movie, so if you liked the movie it's worth reading to get that little extra dimension that print can offer that just isn't captured by the camera. If, on the other hand, you didn't like the movie, avoid this book because, as I said, they're practically the same. If you never saw the movie (and consequently aren't sure if you would like it or not) the book is worth a try. It's a fairly generic plot, the characters are pretty much the standard ones found in the fantasy ...more
Jenieve Cumberland
As always, it seems the books tends to expand more then the motion picture. It's a pretty read, I think I read it in 8th grade. It's always easier to reflect on the feelings of a character in a book because it can be described, and the Frankenstein monster definitely received an upgrade. I guess I have a soft spot for monsters. Hellsing is still his bad ass self, and I liked being able to go back and reflect on what the that silly friar was complaining for (usually whiny characters annoy me, but ...more
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
A poor execution of a poor movie. I expect when reading books that are based on a movie that they gave something more that book didn't. I really don't understand why I start reading this novel since I didn't enjoy the movie but 6 or 7 ago is a long time ago....

Why should you read this book?
1. If you like the movie, I won't advice you but...
2. If you like to suffer.
3. If you like to criticise.

Go read Frankenstein or Dracula!
John
It's been a while since I've read a book based off a movie. It wasn't bad and served as a good distraction, but it does not climb very high on my list of favorites.
Alexis M
this book is awesome!!!!!!!!! It is descriptive and has a thrill of raw exitment. No other book can beat it! twilights better step it up and watch out morgansville vampire series!!!!because this books a hit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alexis Marie
Sarah Lynch
I really enjoyed the film, and I liked the book even more. The book elaborates on a lot that the movie didn't have time to. Also I think the book gave a more vivid storytelling than the movie did. All in all I thought it was a great read.
Azn
I liked this book solely because I loved the movie as a kid, so I just wanted more of it, I even played the video game, so I can't really judge the quality of the book since I did not consider the book on its own merit.
Justin
This was a quick fast read. A great book if you need to take a break from serious reading. I found it to be a lame story with a lame plot but it was a mindless read and that is what i needed at that time!!!
Caroline
I saw the movie before the book, and thought that i'd be really annoyed with the differences. in reality the book and movie were almost identical! overall very good read.
Victor Orozco
Nice novelization. It added some back story as to how Dr.Frankenstein and Dracula met. Nice little bits of scenes that showed that Van Helsing really cared for Anna. B.
stitchnsnitch
This was a quick and fun read that I whipped through on my vacation. Yes, the plot was predicable and the characters were flat, but I still liked it nonetheless.
Danielle
I'm giving this book 5 stars cause I really think it was better than the movie. It added to more to all the characters and managed to be exciting and funny.
Bellis
Points for the plot and the fact I got a few more details to my favourite characters in a film ever. I've seen Van Helsing at least 25 times :)
Highlander II
Not well-written, very flat - the 'young adult' or 'junior' novel is better than this. The picture on the front is nice though. *g*
Jeymei
Boring..Books written by the movie suck unless you haven't seen the movie in YEARS
Sabrina
Jan 18, 2009 Sabrina marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have seen most of the movie, and I hope that the book is even better!!!
Boobootrunde
I liked the book, it had some differences, but I enjoyed the movie better.
Sherry
Simple, but fun read.
  • Sleepy Hollow: A Novelization (Includes the Classic Short Story)
  • The Mummy
  • Underworld: Blood Enemy (Underworld, #2)
  • The Many Faces of Van Helsing
  • X-Men
  • The Chronicles of Riddick
  • The Dark Knight
  • Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
  • Gremlins
  • Constantine
  • Supernatural: The Official Companion Season 3 (Supernatural : The Official Companion, #3)
  • Mr. and Mrs. Smith
  • Hydra
  • One Year Gone (Supernatural, #7)
  • The Last Stand
  • Independence Day: Novelisation
  • Ever After: A Cinderella Story
Kevin Ryan is an American writer of many Star Trek books and one episode. He has also written comic books and the novelization of the movie Van Helsing. He lives in New York with his wife and children.

More about Kevin Ryan...
A New Beginning (Roswell #5) Nightscape (Roswell #6) The Edge of the Sword (Star Trek: Errand of Vengeance, #1) Lights! Camera! Action Dog! (Wishbone Mysteries, #11) Killing Blow (Star Trek: Errand of Vengeance, #2)

“... So you can remember everything about your life from the last seven years, but nothing before that?"
"Not now, Carl."
"There must be something," Carl said, undeterred. "I remember fighting the Romans at Masada," he said seriously.
He didn't have to see Carl's face to recognise the shock that was there. "That was seventy-three A.D ... ?"
Van Helsing shrugged. "You asked.”
0 likes