Start by marking “The Unicorn and Other Poems” as Want to Read:
The Unicorn and Other Poems

The Unicorn and Other Poems

'In an age when poets tend to put too much strain on the cobweb connections between writer and reader, Mrs. LIndbergh's poems are a joy for their clarity and restraint and for the feeling which so swiftly flows from the word to the listener.'- Edward Weeks, Atlantic Monthly.
Published October 12th 1972 by Vintage (first published September 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Unicorn and Other Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unicorn and Other Poems

Antonio Delgado
Jun 04, 2017 Antonio Delgado rated it it was ok
Some verses and stanzas are really good. However, the whole collection seems uneventful.
Terri
Apr 18, 2016 Terri rated it really liked it
I intentionally picked up this book to fulfill the "book you haven't read since high school" piece of the Popsugar challenge. I loved this book in high school and re-read it often, but I remembered the poems being very simplistic and worried that as a more critical adult reader, they wouldn't resonate.

I could not have been more wrong. Not only did the poems resonate, but I liked them even better than I did 20+ years ago. In the back of my mind, I carried the knowledge of Lindbergh's life - the
Tristan
Aug 13, 2014 Tristan rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
I was seriously unimpressed by this book. I thought the poems were dull and almost preachy; she tried far too hard to be deep and meaningful and inspirational, so she came off sounding like a poorly written book of long proverbs. I also thought that in some sections (I don't have the book in front of me, so I can't find them) that she put form over content. She had a solid command of meter and rhyme, but sometimes seemed to sacrifice what she said to reach them. The poem that was about her paren ...more
Julie
Apr 28, 2009 Julie rated it liked it
I'm embarassed to say I NEVER, yes NEVER read poetry. This is the first time I've read any poetry since the required high school stanzas that I thought were just torture...I enjoyed Anne's insights, though, and came away with more appreciation for a different way of putting your thoughts on paper. Still not my favorite genre to read, but I"ll have to work on that. Any suggestions?? Favorite poets??
Elaine Shipley-pope
Jun 25, 2013 Elaine Shipley-pope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
The Unicorn is a collection of poems by Lindbergh. They were nice and easy going and a great read to relax with. It was nice to be able to read a poem or two here and there. Most of the poems had a sad note to it. Some were fairly obvious but others had a deep sadness flowing just under the surface. Most of the poems I have come across in the last few years have been mostly cheery so it was s nice change. I really enjoyed this book and give a four out of five stars.
Lauri
Jun 03, 2012 Lauri rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Not generally a fan of poetry, but I enjoyed Gift from the Sea (essays by Lindbergh) several years ago and I found this book for 50¢ at a used book sale, so I thought I'd give it a try. Great for a Sunday morning read. I especially liked: Elegy Under the Stars, Testament, No Harvest Ripening, Pilgrim, Saint for our Time, The Unicorn in Captivity, Family Album, and Revisitation.
Brittanie
Sep 26, 2007 Brittanie rated it really liked it
I don't usually read books of pure poetry but I happened upon this jewel at a thrift store some time ago and was intrigued by the title (poems about unicorns? woo!). She writes beautifully and is an inspiration for my own fantasy poems. The fact that these were written in the 1920's and can still be enjoyed by a young teenager today, shows that these stand the test of time.
Ally
Aug 30, 2015 Ally rated it did not like it
There was only 1 good poem in it but that's the reason I bought the book. I'm turning the rest of it into a blackout poetry doodle book for my own personal uses.

But yeah. No genuine beauty to be had here, at least for me.
Barbara
I loved it so much I stole it from the school library and I still have it...shhhhh! don't tell anyone
Amanda
Sep 05, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing
lyrical and hopeful
Ariana
Dec 07, 2013 Ariana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unicorns, poetry
Pretty, leatherbound book of poems I found deep in the library. My favorites were The Little Mermaid, The Unicorn, Pas de Deux -- Winter, Within the Wave, and Back to the Islands.
Esther
Sep 08, 2009 Esther rated it liked it
My favorite poem was probably "The Unicorn." The book was enjoyable.
LemontreeLime
Sep 21, 2015 LemontreeLime rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Been meaning to read this for years. Not bad, a little old fashioned, with a writing style popular in the 20s/30s. But that, of course, was when she wrote them...
Carla
Feb 14, 2012 Carla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These poems are obviously tinged with, some even driven or inspired by, grief. But splinters of hope glint through the soft darkness.
 Barb Bailey
Jun 16, 2008 Barb Bailey rated it really liked it
Nice book of poetry. Still....." Gift from the Sea" is A M Lindbergs best book by far for me.
Susan Sonnen
Nov 11, 2013 Susan Sonnen rated it really liked it
I love Anne Morrow Lindbergh's poetry, but with this reading I had the added benefit of the lovely musty scent of a book printed in 1956. :)
Merrillee Bradshaw
Merrillee Bradshaw rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2016
Peggy
Peggy rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Rosalie Banks
Rosalie Banks rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2014
Jeanniebaby
Jeanniebaby rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Faileth
Faileth rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2009
Jennifer Savoie
Jennifer Savoie rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2015
KitCait Reads
KitCait Reads rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2017
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Kai
Kai rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Dawn Wood
Dawn Wood rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2017
Katie
Katie rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2015
Kristie Hope
Kristie Hope rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2013
Mere Sinine
Mere Sinine rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Book of Love Poetry
  • Erotic Poems
  • The Immortalists: Charles Lindbergh, Dr. Alexis Carrel, and Their Daring Quest to Live Forever
  • Collected Early Poems, 1950-1970
  • No More Words: A Journal of My Mother, Anne Morrow Lindbergh
  • Celebrations: Rituals of Peace and Prayer
  • White Pine: Poems and Prose Poems
  • The Seven Ages
  • Selected Poems of Christina Rossetti (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
  • Hard Times Require Furious Dancing: New Poems (A Palm of Her Hand Project)
  • The Best Loved Poems of the American People
  • The Collected Poems
  • Selected Poems, 1956-1968
  • The Big Red Book
Anne Morrow Lindbergh was born in 1906. She married Charles Lindbergh in 1929 and became a noted aviator in her own right, eventually publishing several books on the subject and receiving several aviation awards. Gift from the Sea, published in 1955, earned her international acclaim. She was inducted into the National Aviation Hall of Fame, the National Women’s Hall of Fame, and the Aviation Hall ...more
More about Anne Morrow Lindbergh...