Start by marking “Gunshot Road (Emily Tempest, #2)” as Want to Read:
Gunshot Road (Emily Tempest, #2)

Gunshot Road (Emily Tempest #2)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Emily Tempest. Small, black, snaky as a taipan's tooth: the woman least likely to pursue a career in policing.

Now, somehow, Emily's become the Aboriginal Community Police Offer for the outback (not to mention throwback) town of Bluebush. Being allergic both to authority and to keeping her big mouth shut, she's immediately at odds with her new boss. And a death at the Green
Published 2010 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Gunshot Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gunshot Road

David
As I began my journey along Gunshot Road, I have to admit that I was more than a little dubious. The main character of the novel, Emily Tempest is a young female Aboriginal woman. The author, Adrian Hyland is a middle-aged, white Australian male - but boy did he nail the characterisation!

And what a fantastic character Emily Tempest is. She has been persuaded by the Police Superintendent of the small outback Australian town, Bluebush to become the Aboriginal Community Police Officer. Emily and h
Rob Kitchin
Diamond Dove, Adrian Hyland’s first Emily Tempest novel, was one of my books of 2009. It was with great anticipation then that I waited for Gunshot Road. The novel lived up to my expectations. In Emily Tempest, Hyland has created a wonderfully engaging character; half-aboriginal, half-white, she oscillates between two worlds. Quick witted, head-strong, caring and obstinate, she ploughs her own unique path through life. In fact, the whole book is populated with well penned characters that have de ...more
Herman
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Having devoured Diamond Dove in a few hours I took a days break to finish another book before diving into Gunshot Road.
Emily Tempest has been recruited at a liason for the police force, an attempt perhaps to keep her impulsiveness in check, but it's not long before she is in the middle of another murder. The cops, especially the buy-the-book Acting Seargent, are happy to treat it as an open and shut case yet Emily's personal connection to the suspect and victim won't let her accept the easy ans
Elizabeth
This is a story of many things, of murder, of hate, of greed and of violence all told over the haunting music of the outback, deep in the heart of Australia. It begins when Emily Tempest of a Young Man’s Time ceremony where she is joining with the women of the group in their song.
'You could imagine those great song cycles rolling across country, taking their shape from what they encountered scraps of language, minerals and dreams, a hawk’s flight, a feather’s fall, the flash of a meteorite.'

Emi
Karen
GUNSHOT ROAD is the second Emily Tempest novel from Australian author Adrian Hyland. Set in the outback of Australia, GUNSHOT ROAD has one of those magnificently authentic Australian voices that you just know comes from an author who knows his place, and his characters very very well.

Emily Tempest is a tricky woman. She's one of those mouthy, stubborn, opinionated women who will do what she believes is right, no matter who or what says no. She's going to stick to her case, she's going to support
Rusty
I truly enjoy books that educate as well as entertain. This one was one of them as the mystery demonstrates how two different cultures interact - sometimes well and other times poorly. Emily Tempest is hired as Aboriginal Community Police officer to aid the local police in dealing with her people and the whites who dominate the environment. The trouble is that Emily becomes deeply involved in the murder of a geologist for whom one of her people is arrested. She understands how to determine the t ...more
This is the third Australian crime novel I’ve read this year and probably my favourite. I read Adrian Hyland’s Diamond Dove when it first came out in 2007 and loved it but then promptly forgot about the author. A combination of taking part in the Australian Women Writers Challenge and therefore having Australian fiction on my radar and Maxine at Petrona hinting at the quality of Hyland’s latest book, the non fiction Kinglake-350 prompted me to read Gunshot Road, the second Emily Tempest mystery. ...more
Ms.pegasus
Jan 14, 2012 Ms.pegasus rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes fiction in an unusual setting
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Myth and history will always lie dormant in the human subconscious. Perhaps this is the attraction of Adrian Hyland's mysteries, set in the backwater of Australia's Northern Territory. His first book, MOONLIGHT DOWNS, introduced us to Emily Tempest. Half aborigine, Emily grew up in the mining camps and out in the bush listening to the song cycles and absorbing the lore of the sacred clan sites. Smart and ambitious, she left, went to university, traveled, and then discovered her center belonged w ...more
LJ
First Sentence: I closed my eyes, felt the ragged harmonies flowing through my head.

Emily Tempest’s new career as an Aboriginal Community Police officer starts with a new, by-the-book boss and the murder of a scientist at the Green Swamp Well Roadhouse. Emily doesn’t believe the man arrested is guilty. She believes his death had more to do with his research and sets out to find the real killer.

I enjoyed “Gunshot Road”, but not as much as the first book. I kept feeling as though there was a book
Shomeret
Emily is extremely gutsy. At one point in the plot I thought she had been totally reckless, and was "too stupid to live". Then I saw how she survived the situation. So I decided that she isn't reckless. She takes extraordinary risks, but they are calculated risks because she knows that she can get out of those tight spots herself. She's an action hero who is both intelligent and intuitive.

I loved the aborigine cultural content especially the use of the Dreamtime. In the Dreamtime there is no pa
Bookmole
Emily Tempest keeps getting better. Life as an ACPO might just be what she needs, if she can keep from getting killed...

Murders, Mystery and Magic.

Again, the descriptions of the country and the people are stunning. This is not life through rose-coloured spectacles, this is raw and basic.

Highly recommended, but you have to have read Diamond Dove first.
Calzean
This is a good crime series, although this book could be read by itself. Emily Tempest is a free thinking woman, with values, who is black and has to survive in a man's world. Hyland brings to the reader his love of geology, aboriginal culture and beliefs and his concern for the environment. Each chapter has a purpose and there is a reason for each scene.

The story starts with a murder and ends with a major environmental disaster. My only criticism is how Emily constantly escapes from situations
The Crime Scene Scene
Gunshot Road is the second novel in the Emily Tempest series by author Adrian Hayland. A geologist investigation the theory of Snowball Earth is found murdered in his home. A suspect is ready to be charged but Emily doesn't think he is guilty and despite her boss sets out to investigate.

It is rare to find a novel that is simply unputdownable. This novel counts as one of the those.Read the full review here
LeeAnne
This is the second Emily Tempest mystery and it is better than the first, a winner of the Ned Kelly Award for best first novel in Australia. This installment finds Emily in uniform as Aboriginal Police Constable in Bluebush though true to form, she has a difficult time with rules and authority. The book centers on the murder of a ranting lunatic of a geologist in the bush who may not be as crazy as he acts, but I think the most interesting aspect of this novel is the author's unapologetic look a ...more
Philippa
Excellent writing and great story: authentic Aboriginal perspectives, gritty outback setting, fast-paced with the high-wire tension needed for a crime/thriller, and a fantastic protagonist in Emily Tempest (by name and nature). It's a spirited read in both senses: the supernatural/spiritual element of the Dreaming is an essential layer, and the humour bubbles up like yeast to leaven what could otherwise be a too-heavy read.
This is the second I've read by Adrian Hyland and I'm eager to read more.
Sharonm
This is the second of the Emily Tempest books, set in Australia's outback. Emily is an aboriginal police officer in this one, and she is not taken in by the policies and procedures of the police. This is a very convoluted story of land despoiled an people killed, with a bit of dreaming, folk ways, and supernatural woven in. The depiction of the extreme land and the extremities it drives the people to is very well done, and while some of the characters tend toward caricatures, the main characters ...more
Chris Tugwell
I thoroughly enjoyed this. A great character and a fascinating look at a remote community.
Vanessa
Story of Emily Tempest, newly hired as an aboriginal policewoman, and the mystery of what really happened to an old geologist known to his friends as Doc. Blame falls on a man she feels is innocent, and in trying to unravel who really killed Doc, she finds herself in a whole heap of trouble. [return][return]Felt like it took forever to finish this one. I enjoyed the writing - I liked the character's voice and humor - but the story fell short for me. It was okay, but I didn't find it that compell ...more
Kasa Cotugno
This book is more than a ripping good yarn with an intriguing heroine and an engrossing mystery -- it is a window to life in rural Australia where with its uneasy commingling of cultures and histories and struggles over the mythic impotence of lands clashing with the modern world. As with Moonlight Downs, the debut novel of this series, there is rich storytelling and informative material, spun out with a sure hand and the skill of a fine writer. Highly recommended.
Jane Routley
A Hyland says that someone should be telling more of these stories of modern aboriginal life ad I say more power to him. Emily Tempest is an excellent character and this is a nice thght thriller. It does lapse into fantasy at the end. Hmm. My only beef with Hyland and its the same with most Australian detective writers is that we live in the most beautiful contry in the world and detective writers conentrate almost exclusively on the grunge.
Sharron
I have spent time in the Northern Territory and think it is one of the most fascinating and complex places on earth. I was, therefore, really looking forward to reading this novel. But even that level of interest on my part was insufficient to get me past page 25. I couldn't even manage to follow Nancy Pearl's rule of thumb about when to quit a book. It was just that awful. What a shame Mr. Hyland can't write. So disappointing.
Michael
Not sure why I didn't like this more.

It fixed many of the problems with the first book. The plot was less convoluted, the ending less out-of-the-blue. Emily Tempest is still a great character, and the conflict between Emily's two halves is still fascinating.

That said, I found this a bit boring. Maybe it rambled too long without moving anything forward. I was relieved when it ended.
Carolyn Rose
I'm a huge fan of books that take me there, and this one did it. I felt the heat, smelled the sweat, tasted the grit and dust, heard the songs and chants, saw the blistering expanse of sky. All of that made up for the fact that Emily became a punching bag and I sometimes lost sight of the murder that drives her down a dangerous path in a headlong rush that sometimes makes her her own worst enemy.
Lin Weich
Jun 15, 2012 Lin Weich rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: general audience
Recommended to Lin by: son
Enjoyed this book. Very different in that it takes place in the Australian bush and deals realistically with the modern day aboriginals and their lifestyles in conjunction with the "whitefellas" world. Good mystery but I guessed the who dun it about the middle of the book.Well worth a read but I would caution against sporadic reading as characters can get confusing.
Jen
Great to read a really good new Australian mystery writer. Emily Tempest is a half white half Aboriginal woman in the NT. She becomes an Aboriginal Police Community Officer and is immediately thrust into the mystery of the murder of an elderly white geologist. I loved the humour and tone of this novel, so Australian, so idiosyncratic. Please write more ...
Erica
Sophomore slump? I love the Emily Tempest character - thought she was a wonderful addition to the mystery/thriller line up - but this book was unimpressive. It rambled, was hard to follow. It just wasn't very good. I'll try the next one...if there is a next one. But I hope to see improvement.
Linda
Not as good as the first book, but still a worthwhile read. Emily is still a fantastic character, and the rest of the characters are interesting and complicated. A few plot points struck me as not believable, but the story did move along and I still enjoyed reading it.
Lisaann
If you're a fan of Tony Hillerman, Margaret Coel or the Thurlos, I highly recommend this book. You might need to use Google or Wikipedia to decipher some of the Aussie lingo, flora and fauna. I was sucked into this one. I can't wait to read the next installment.
Jack
Fascinating crime thriller set in central Australia, featuring new Aboriginal Community Support Officer Emily Tempest. The writing gives a great sense of the place, and I learned a few new words from the Aussie branch of the English language.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Wyatt (Wyatt, #7)
  • The Diggers Rest Hotel (Charlie Berlin, #1)
  • Cold Justice (Detective Ella Marconi #3)
  • Vodka Doesn't Freeze (Detective Jill Jackson, #1)
  • Devil-Devil
  • Skin and Bone
  • Truth
  • The Old School
  • Let The Dead Lie (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #2)
  • Cambridge Blue (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #1)
  • A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder (Inspector Singh Investigates #1)
  • Bereft
  • As Darkness Falls (Dungirri, #1)
  • Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6)
Adrian Hyland spent many years in the Northern Territory, living and working among indigenous people. He now teaches at LaTrobe University and lives in the north-east of Melbourne. His first novel, Diamond Dove won the 2007 Ned Kelly Award for Best First Fiction.
More about Adrian Hyland...
Moonlight Downs (Emily Tempest, #1) Kinglake-350