Start by marking “Animate Earth: Science, Intuition and Gaia” as Want to Read:
Animate Earth: Science, Intuition and Gaia

Animate Earth: Science, Intuition and Gaia

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  59 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Stephan Harding explores how Gaian science can help us to develop a sense of connectedness with the 'more-than-human' world. His work is based on an integration of rational scientific analysis with our intuition, sensing and feeling.
Published May 1st 2007 by Green Books (first published March 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Animate Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animate Earth

Lauren
Jul 19, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as hippy dippy as the visualisation exercises had led me to anticipate. While it might push the animism angle a bit too hard for some tastes (and I'm sure more than a few people will be put off by the book's constant poetic reference to the earth/gaia as "She"), overall it was really just a benign exploration of the Gaia Theory (which I hadn't realised is so controversial), starting with the history of how the theory was developed, and then looking at all the various networks that the earth ...more
Cory
Jun 23, 2010 Cory rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's so nice to hear a scientist say we need to tune in to our intuition and trust our inner knowing. I love the meditative exercises.
Colleen
Aug 16, 2010 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quit-reading
not really what it claims to be about... much, much better. Interesting, intelligent discussion of Animism and Gaia
Paul Kieniewicz
May 21, 2012 Paul Kieniewicz rated it really liked it
Shelves: mind-expanding
The Gaia Theory,first proposed as a hypothesis by James Lovelock and Lynn Margulis in the early 1970s, states that the Earth’s biosphere and upper crust acts in such a way as to create and maintain an environment for the propagation of life. Whereas for over 3 billion years the sun has grown brighter, life on Earth has not only not died out from the excessive heat, but has grown in biodiversity, given us a breathable atmosphere, and a temperature perfect for the propagation of life. The hypothes ...more
Will
Apr 18, 2016 Will rated it it was amazing
I'm only giving this 5 star because of the authors warning at the beginning, he makes the point that a lot of this is hard to take in and that he can't do a good job of describing it. You can feel the passion in it, but it just doesn't come out the pages, that's your job.
Really good book, one of those you put down after reading a bit and just marvel at what's around you :)
Kittist Kosumsuriya
เลมนีทำใหเปิดโลกใหมไดอีกโลกเลย
เปลียนมุมมองของวิทยาศาสตร
โดยการเอาจิตวิญญาณมาผูกกับโลก
(แมวาในบทแรกๆ คอนขางไปทางแนวคิดเชิงปรัชญา
แตในเนือหาของ "โยงใยธรรมชาติ" ของคารบอน ซัลเฟอร คอกโกลิโธฟอร ยอดเยียม!)
Barbara
Jan 11, 2009 Barbara rated it really liked it
A great introduction into Gaia theory supported by some scientific theory. Never having considered Gaia theory previously, it confirms my committment to vegetarianism and discusses why we view the natural world as a commodity, not a partner. Some of the science feels a little "squishy" to me and I'd need to have a chemist read it to confirm or deny if some of the details are accurage. Otherwise, the exercises in connecting with the natural world are very worthwhile and the narrative forces you t ...more
Nick Mather
Based on James Lovelock's Gaia theory, Harding argues for a new perspective and relationship with the earth. A relationship where we stop seeing animals as little more than souless machines and the earth itself as nothing but a resource to exploit. While I agree, I thought that Harding's approach might not be off-putting to Christians and other religions. If we're going to save the planet we need everyone on board and must engage in productive dialogue and not come across as Gaia evangelists.
Ryan Ard
Aug 28, 2014 Ryan Ard rated it it was ok
Not a fan. I respect the ideology of being one with nature and that we should protect all things that make the world but, this book takes in too much of the philosophical aspects of nature which I am not interested in. It would be a good tool to include in your research. I recommend this book to the "Hippie" type environmental scientist or philosophy enthusiasts.
Kathleen
As much as I'm sure I agree with this guy, I just couldn't get into this book. I'm not sure why, but it just didn't grab me. Every night I read a bit of it, and by the time I returned to it the following night I had zero memory of what I had read before. This book just didn't make an impression on me, I guess.
Stephen Palmer
Feb 11, 2012 Stephen Palmer rated it liked it
I didn't like this as much as I thought I would. A bit too blurred and drifty, perhaps...
Oscar E. Lion
Oscar E. Lion rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Pan LingLing
Pan LingLing marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
David Machado
David Machado marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Dakota Limon
Dakota Limon marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Paul Fleckney
Paul Fleckney marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Agnes Mwansa
Agnes Mwansa marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Vinicius Caldas
Vinicius Caldas rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Daniel Egger
Daniel Egger rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Ferash
Ferash marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Stephanie Marx
Stephanie Marx marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Veerachary
Veerachary marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
tim hampton
tim hampton marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Rochelle Km.
Rochelle Km. marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
O. W.
O. W. rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Selena
Selena marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016