Start by marking “In Cold Pursuit: A Mystery From The Last Continent (Valena Walker, #1)” as Want to Read:
In Cold Pursuit: A Mystery From The  Last Continent (Valena Walker, #1)

In Cold Pursuit: A Mystery From The Last Continent (Valena Walker #1)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Sarah Andrews is well known for her popular mystery series featuring forensic geologist Em Hansen. With In Cold Pursuit, shebuilds on that foundationand introduces a new lead character in this compelling mystery from the last continent.

Valena Walker is a dedicated master's student in geology headed to Antarctica to study glaciology with the venerable Dr. Emmett Vanderzee.
Published August 7th 2007 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about In Cold Pursuit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Cold Pursuit

Jan
3 1/2 stars. Valena Walker is living her dream of traveling to Antarctica to work on her master's degree. She has snagged an assistantship with a well-known and respected glaciologist, Dr Emmett Vanderzee. But as soon as she arrives, Valena learns that Vanderzee has been arrested for murder. In order to stay in Antarctica, Valena needs to clear the professor's name. To do this, she seeks out all the people who were at the camp where the death occurred. This takes her on the adventure of a life t ...more
Amy
I really wanted to like this book. The concept is great, the setting is interesting, and the science should be good.
And it utterly managed to blow all of that. The science was tacked in there, with very little relevance to the story, and was overly simplistic. The characters were inconsistent and hard to keep track of. Even the setting got old. And judging from the sheer number of misplaced quotation marks and sentences missing words, a copy editor was desperately needed for this.
Lesli
Wah wah. Wah wah wah wah. I didn't make it far; but several things annoyed me immediately. Valena on one page doesn't want to seem TOO interested in making friends with one man. On the very next page, she's changing into a curve hugging fleece top before she goes to the mess hall for the very first time. Also, the dialog is stiff; and Andrews spends a lot of time telling not showing. Meh.
Toni Osborne
Book 11 in the Em Hansen mystery series

After reading this novel, I was surprised to discover it is part of a series, I found it could be enjoyed on its own. The author's long time protagonist Em Hansen has a very limited role, a token appearance, in fact, she introduces a new character: Valena Walker, a geology student. In this story we are plunged into a world that most of us only dream of visiting... Antarctica...

Upon arriving in Mc Murdo to study glaciology with the famous Dr. Emmett Vanderze
Ashland Mystery Oregon
Another stunner from author Sarah Andrews, this one with a new protag, Valena Walker, working on a master in geology, specializing in glaciology. In Cold Pursuit is set in Antarctica and I was caught from the opening pages as Valena is in transport to the South Pole.

Like Em Hansen, Valena feels herself apart and alone, someone who doesn't belong. So one aspect of the mystery is Valena's search for community, for inner peace and for her own identity. Valena has an almost sixth sense about people,
Rusty
What a read! The author writes about murder and research in the Antarctic environment from the study of ice cores to observation and studying penguins. The detail is entrancing and the murder difficult to solve. Valena Walker is a young masters degree graduate student who finds herself in this hostile environment where she is to pursue glacial studies with her professor. However, her professor has been detained and then arrested for the murder of a journalist who died on a trip at a research sit ...more
K.A. Krisko
I received this book as a gift from a biologist friend who's given me stuff I enjoyed before. This was another hit! I really enjoyed the unique setting and the careful and detailed descriptions of Antarctica and its various environments and history. Everything appeared to have been meticulously researched. I also enjoyed the no-nonsense approach to science and what it's telling us about our world - past, present, and future. I've known a few people who worked at McMurdo, and this book gave me a ...more
Eunira
I always learn a lot reading books by Sarah Andrews - this time about glaciers, penguins and the Antarctica. However, there were too many characters in this book, too many suspects also.
From Publishers Weekly
Geology student Valena Walker receives a rude awakening when she arrives at Antarctica's McMurdo Station in this less than successful first in a new series from Andrews, creator of geologist-turned-sleuth Em Hansen (Eye for Gold, etc.). The scientist Walker was expecting to work for, Emmett
Joan Brennan
I've enjoyed the Em Hansen series. I expected this to be one of them and it turned out to be a new character. At first I was disappointed; there was a loose tie in to Em Hansen but it was really all about the new character. The entire book is set in Antarctica and turned out to be really interesting! I found myself looking things up on line just to see what else I could find out. There are moments where it seems to be almost too much explaining, but life on that continent is not at all in our re ...more
Tracy
While I've read better mysteries, my purpose in reading this was really to learn more about Antarctica, and Andrews taught me a lot about my new-found interest. I've recently become enamored with the idea of going "on the ice" and wanted to know more without reading too many dry, boring details. There were spots where the prose started to sound a bit like a textbook, but I was okay with that, since I really did want to know more. This is the first in a new series by Andrews, with a couple of bri ...more
Amy
Sarah Andrews received a grant from the National Science Foundation to travel to Antarctica and research the area and its inhabitants for this book. I have to say unequivocally that it was money well spent!

I enjoyed reading about life on this "last continent" almost as much as I loved the mystery, which I have to say kept me guessing until the very end!

I sincerely hated to leave Antarctica and all of its crazy inhabitants. I especially love the Tractor group -- they're a riot, as are the Kiwis.
Connie N.
Not bad, but also not terribly exciting or suspenseful. My biggest problem was keeping track of the characters. There were a lot of people at the base on Antarctica, many doing similar jobs, and it was confusing. I had to keep going back to confirm who was who. The best part of the book was the setting. Andrews kept it interesting, not getting too technical, just giving the reader a feel for the unusual location and trying to give us a taste of the strangeness and isolation while still being par ...more
Pbwritr
Another novel written by someone who went to Antarctica under the Artists and Writers Program. Really a detective story by a grad student who arrives to find her professor has been charged with murder and "taken off the ice." Fantastic rendering of McMurdo Station,the offices, people, weather, living conditions and socializing, as well as outer camps. A bit hard to believe that Valena would immediately try to clear her professor's name and from incongruent facts, piece them together to solve the ...more
Gordon
I hate it when the title is the most interesting thing about a book.
Debra
When graduate student Valena got to Antarctica, she discovered her professor had been charged with murder.

Suspenseful mystery, wonderful sense of place, engaging believeable characters. Although Em Hansen makes token appearances, this is not really another of that series.

It is always wonderful to read believeable novels about women in non-traditional occupations. Sarah Andrews also sneaks in scientific knowledge so leave her books better educated. I really enjoy them, and will continue to search
Bookman8
A mystery set in Antarctica with an evironmental theme. Valena Walker a graduate student in glaciology, goes to antarctica to do research with her professor, only to arrive and discover that he has been sent home on murder charges. There are too many characters introduced that are not well described. Some nice descriptions of the antarctic experience, but the book needed maps to increase the enjoyment of the reading experience. This is not great literature, but it offers a change of pace.
Erin
This is the first book by Sarah Andrews that I've read. I enjoyed all her researched detail about the McMurdo Station in Antarctica - the clothing, shelter, vehicles, all the different types of snow and their formations. She actually got a grant from NSF to go down there and research her book for two months - cool! I think I'll like the books in which Em Hansen, forensic geologist, is the main character even more. Any kind of forensics is a draw for me.
Debra
Apr 10, 2014 Debra marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
having a hard time getting into this book. Going to re-shelve for now.
Nancy H
I loved this book! It is set in Antarctica, and written by Sarah Andrews, who is a geologist. She weaves science into her story so that you learn a lot of great information about this enigmatic continent, and at the same time enjoy a really good mystery. I have read other books by this author, and have thoroughly enjoyed them as well.
Velta
The main character is not as well developed as Em Hansen in Andrew's other science based mysteries. I love the way that science is so well blended with very human stories and the descriptions of Antarctica are incredible. I almost got frostbite just thinking of walking to the latrine in one of the outlying stations. Wonderful read.
J. Ewbank
This book by Sarah Andrews is a very enjoyable read for me. It is a mystery but a mystery written In Antarctica, so you learn a lot about Antarctics, about which I knew nothing. Good characters and a good plot make the book well worth reading and enjoying.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Anna
The plot probably wasn't all that amazing, but the setting made up for everything. If I had five or six lives instead of just one, I might like to spend one of them doing science in Antarctica. It's worth reading this book just for the representation of that scientific community and the wonders of Antarctica.
Margaret
Don't bother reading any of her other books. This one was good, in large part because of the setting: Antartica. (By the way, just saw an article that said 16,000 condoms were on the last flight before winter set in and only about 200 people stationed there :))
John Rasmussen
very interesting story line, set in Antarctica, and the heroine of the previous series (Em Hansen) gets a cameo appearance through email. won't tell, because it really would spoil the ending. again Andrews has woven in some good geology into the story.
Patricia
I liked the fact that my friend, a Jesuit and well-known geologist and author, Fr. Jim Skehan, SJ, was a fictional character in this story. The book, written by a geologist, is a humorous account of geology and geography with a twist.
Andy Plonka
This is a great book for an information junkie especially a science nut. The mystery is not nearly as interesting as the wealth of information about Antarctica. It takes a special person to be able to live in such an inhospitable climate.
Chris Curtis
I enjoyed the descriptions of Antarctica and all the characters living at McMurdo. I would love to read another book with Valena solving another mystery while working for Dr. Emmett Vanderzee.
Linda
I found it difficult to keep track of the characters and thought it was a little bit "preachy". I learned a lot about Antarctica but there was not enough action to hold my interest.
Julianne Dunn
It starts very slowly but ends well. It definitely made me pine to visit Antartica and her descriptions of the location and the culture are intriguing.
Marilyn Darrow-Pinkley
Feb 14, 2008 Marilyn Darrow-Pinkley rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all mystery readers
Recommended to Marilyn by: I read Andrews
Ok, so the writing is not as good as she usual. The geology, science and politics of Antarctica is woven into a murder mystery that is fun to read.
  • The African Quest (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #5)
  • Skating To Antarctica
  • Freak Factor (Sector Guard, #1)
  • Unnatural Selection (Gideon Oliver, #13)
  • An Evil Eye (Yashim the Eunuch, #4)
  • Eternity Base (The Green Berets, #5)
  • Two for Sorrow (Josephine Tey, #3)
  • Scratch the Surface (A Cat Lover's Mystery #1)
  • Cold: Adventures in the World's Frozen Places
  • Dark Winter
  • Catch an Honest Thief
  • The Eye of Jade (A Mei Wang Mystery, #1)
  • The Last Explorer: Hubert Wilkins, Hero of the Great Age of Polar Exploration
  • Amethyst Bound (Amethyst, #1)
  • Code Blue: Emergency! (Sector General, #7)
  • Frozen Planet
  • Goodbye, Dolly (Gretchen Birch, #2)
  • Devil-Devil
Sarah Andrews is a geologist who writes mystery novels about a geologist.

She currently lives in northern California and invests her free time on community pursuits and flying, skiing, and sailing with her husband and son.

More about Sarah Andrews...
Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5) Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1) Fault Line (Em Hansen Mystery, #7) A Fall in Denver (Em Hansen Mystery, #2) Only Flesh and Bones (Em Hansen Mystery, #4)