Voices of the Faithful: Inspiring Stories of Courage from Christians Serving Around the World (Voices of the Faithful #1)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  372 ratings  ·  40 reviews
A willingness to go is all they have in common, exclaims Beth Moore, speaking of her friends on the front lines who are spreading the gospel around the world and with whom she collaborated to create this book. This brilliant 365-day devotional features incredible stories of God's faithfulness in the face of uncertainty and danger, written by hundreds of missionaries worldw...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published January 28th 2001)

Trisha Turner
Read the Back:

DO YOU HAVE THE COURAGE…THE FAITH…THE FIRE?

Loving the world as God does involves extreme sacrifice. It also has radical effects, demonstrated in these 366 true accounts of fellow believers from around the world.

A Christian claims the names of God at knifepoint and lives to tell about it…
Prayer revives a coma victim, in defiance of village witch doctors…
A Bible verse between friends helps a Hindu family discover the light of Christ…
An abused seven-year-old asks, “Do you have any pil...more
Meagan
This is such a great devotional. Although Beth Moore may have put it all together it is actually by hundreds of missionaries. I truly enjoy reading it each day. Each day is just one page of reading so it is easy to read and stay caught up. Each page is assigned a day in the year. It is so unique compared to other once a day devotionals. Each page has a scripture, a short story from a missionary, and then a prayer. It is inspiring and applicable.
Susan Henn
1/09 This collection of scripture quotes and stories/letters from missionaries enhanced my quiet times during 2008. The book was divided into 365 daily readings. Eye and heart opening!
Valerie Gay
This book has definitely caused a stir in our hearts. It is amazing to read the testimonies of those serving the Lord around the world on a daily basis.
Nje
wonderful stories about how missionaries are spreading the word of God across the nations of the earth
Julie
Voices of the Faithful is a 365 day devotional book with different subject topics each month such as God's word, prayer, compassion & witnessing. Each month has a separate topic, and Beth provides an AMAZING intro to each month. However, the single page daily devotionals are stories from missionaries around the world.

This was the first book I had read from Beth Moore, and I wasn't sure it would live up to all the hoopla I have heard... both good & bad. Voices of the Faithful proved to be...more
Kelly Hager
This is a devotional-style book, with one entry per day. (Obviously I didn't follow that, because I am reviewing it for Thomas Nelson.)

I think this would definitely work very well if you read it that way, because reading it all at once means that I got a little tired by the end and so certain passages didn't affect me the way they normally would have. But the short passages would be a fantastic beginning to any day.

Each entry is written by a missionary and it deals with their day-to-day life. Th...more
Suzanne Hartmann
Voices of the Faithful is a collection of inspiring devotions from missionaries across the globe. These dedicated servants of God--many serving in remote areas or countries openly hostile to the gospel--share bits and pieces of their lives and how God has worked through their ministry. Each devotion is rounded off with a relevant Scripture and a prayer to help us commune with God regarding the message in the devotion.
More than one brought tears to my eyes as I read about healings, protection, c...more
Gail Welborn

Voices of the Faithful, Devotions for Every Day of the Year: Book 1, with Beth Moore, Kim P Davis Compiler, Thomas Nelson, 2005, 480 Pages, ISBN-13: 978-1591453642, $14.

These short essay style devotions from Christian evangelists remove missionaries from the category of “…faceless far-removed folks.” They become “…live, flesh-and-blood people just like you and me,” writes Beth Moore in her introduction to Voice of the Faithful, Book One.

Beth uses a string of Christmas lights as an analogy of who...more
Lynnea
This book was provided to me by Thomas Nelson Publishing in exchange for a review.
It is a good book and has 365 short "inspiring stories of courage from Christians serving around the world" to read daily. Each story is told by a different person who has a great testimony of how God has worked in their area of the world. You also get a look into the different customs and traditions of the different cultures. However, this book was not what I was expecting, hence the three stars. It said "with Bet...more
Heather
I started using this as my devotional for this year but after giving it about three months, I decided I wasn't getting much from it so I would move on to something else. Each day gave a verse and a short story with a lesson from some missionary around the world. Occasionally they were encouraging or profitable, but most often I found them lukewarm, not particularly good and not particularly bad. Rather shallow and sometimes even cheesy. It's seldom that I don't finish a book, but I decided this...more
Rachel
Okay, so I didn't read the entire book yet, but I have read enough to formulate the opinion that I don't like it. This book is set up as a daily devotional. I can think of so many other devotionals that I would rather read, ones that make me think and say hmmmm, how does that apply to my life? The devotions only take 3 minutes to read and really don't offer any thought provoking content. Sorry, not recommended.
Brandon Stiver
This was my morning devotional over the year 2010. It made sense, being as that was my first year on the mission field myself and these are devotionals by missionaries (compiled on commented on by Moore). It was a good way to start the day with a scripture and story to remember for the day. Pretty good devotional all in all.
Rachel
This book has a devotional story, scripture, and prayer prompt for every day of the year. The stories are true stories about Christian missionaries. Not only does it help you know how to pray more specifically for missionaries, but it also encourages you to get more involved with missions.
Samantha
Daily Devotional, daily encouragement based on Scripture written by 300 missionaries. Very inspirational and full of testimonies. They all have one thing in common- a deep, abiding love for Jesus Christ that compels them to share the Good News with a lost world- no matter what the sacrifice.
Jaclynn
This is a yearly devotional, each day’s devotional is written by a missionary from around the world and a corresponding Bible Verse along with a prayer for the day. I really enjoyed this devotional, many times the perfect one was on the day I needed to read it
Angie
Too light and fluffy. I want a devotional that prompts me to think, consider, ponder something differently.
Paul
I found this book to inspirational and challenging. In the same spirit as "Jesus Freaks" and Foxes Book of Martyrs. I used this more as a reference book rather than the devotional format it was designed as.
Karen
I won this book at a Christian conference and read it over the entire 2012 year as one of my devotions. Most inspiring and I plan to pass the book on to a friend that she may enjoy for another year.
Evanan
This is a great book for thought provoking daily devotionals. Each one is a short story or vignette written by various missionaries inmissionfileds all around the world.
Teresa
I am listening to this in audio book form. Very interesting and makes one do a little soul-searching on their life style. We are so blessed in America.
Andrea
very touching.daily devotionals about missionaries who are willing to go anywhere and do anything to tell people about Christ. A subject very dear to my heart.
Heather
A really nice daily devotional-- real testimonies from real people serving God. Easy to read quickly. Thought provoking and inspirational. Good stuff.
Shiffra
This is a daily devotional book. It's been hit or miss on the good ones. Then again, it hasn't even been a full month yet.
Lynda
One of my devotionals for two years. What a daily way to keep missionaries around the world in your heart and prayers!
Kimberly
Beautiful!
I have re-read this twice so far, and each time I gain new insight after each day's passage.

Amy
I didn't read this whole book but it was good reading stories of Christian experiences from around the world.
Kim
A great devotional. God is moving in big ways all over the world through our missionaries. Amazing stories.
Tracy Kunkel
Loved reading the stories of people serving in missions and have used several quotes out of here.
Michelle
Dec 26, 2010 Michelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
compilation of daily readings of stories from missionaries; rec. by Kari Berglund
  • The Patriarchs - Member Book
  • Lessons I Learned in the Dark

FROM THE AUTHOR'S WEB PAGE: Beth founded Living Proof Ministries in 1994 with the purpose of teaching women how to love and live on God’s Word. She has written numerous books and Bible studies, including Breaking Free, Believing God, and When Godly People Do Ungodly Things, that have been read by women of all ag...more
More about Beth Moore...
Breaking Free: Discover the Victory of Total Surrender Praying God's Word: Breaking Free From Spiritual Strongholds Esther: It's Tough Being a Woman [With 6 DVDs and Leader Guide, Member Book] So Long, Insecurity: You've Been A Bad Friend To Us Get Out of That Pit!: Straight Talk about God's Deliverance