Start by marking “The Toddler's Busy Book: Toddler's Busy Book” as Want to Read:
The Toddler's Busy Book: Toddler's Busy Book

The Toddler's Busy Book: Toddler's Busy Book

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  570 ratings  ·  72 reviews
The Toddler’s Busy Book is a must-read for anyone raising or teaching toddlers! This book contains over 365 activities (one for each day of the year) for kids ages 18 months to 3 years, using items found around the home. It shows parents and day-care providers how to prevent boredom during the longest stretches of indoor weather, stimulate a child’s natural curiosity with ...more
Published November 1st 1999 by Meadowbrook (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Toddler's Busy Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Toddler's Busy Book

Jennifer Griffith
I love this book. I turn to it again and again in a parenting pinch. When kids get unruly and bored and bratty, I pull this out and voila, a simple activity and everyone's happy again for another 20 minutes.

One thing I REALLY appreciate about this book is the activities are things I can actually do. They require no special preparation, generally don't create a giant mess, and a lot of time don't involve tons of parental supervision. Perfect for me, the mostly-hands-off mom.

It's cheap, too. I thi
Suzanne
I can't say that the ideas in this book are overly creative. They get very repetitive, too: Sit your diapered kid in the tub with a bucket of water and some cups! Sit your diapered kid in the tub with some soap bubbles and let him blow bubbles himself! Sit your diapered kid in the tub and let him finger paint! The subtitle boasts 365 ideas, but I think that's stretching it.

Still, if you're at a complete loss for things to do, it might inspire some new projects and games that your kiddo might enj
Elizabeth
As I read the reviews, I'm surprised by the number of people who feel that this book has activities to do that DON'T require prep time, or require minimal prep time. I have not used this book a great deal yet, but, as I flipped through it, I was struck by the number of activities requiring stuff that I just didn't have.

The other thing I will say is that the majority of these activities are more appropriate for the older toddler. I have a 14-month-old who is technically a toddler, but a lot of th
Meaghan
While this book has a cheesy feel to it- something about the type? Headings? I found it useful as a guide to keeping Owen busy. Basically, it was explicit about being prepared (as in, lesson plan prepared) because with a two year old, there is no time to come up with something on the fly. Prep work is crucial, which i never would have thought about unless i read this book.

However, many of these activites were not a success with Owen. Once I read the Preschooler's busy book, I see why. At two an
Jen
This book was a disappointment. It has some good ideas in it, and it's not very expensive, so it might still be worth it to buy it, but I was disappointed. A lot of it is the same kind of advice for entertaining the age group that can be found in a lot of other places. The number 365 is a huge stretch, since there are a bunch of different ways to fingerpaint, or a bunch of different ways to do printmaking, with each material listed as a separate idea. In the Birthdays and Holidays chapter, many ...more
Melissa
I'm sure this book was innovative before Pinterest. Nevertheless, I wrote down four new ideas...so that's more than I had before I read the book!
Cassie ♥
This is a very good book and one I would definitely recommend parents and caregivers to buy. Open the book and find a fun easy activity.
April
I was given this book when I had a toddler. My Toddler is now a preschooler, so we're past a lot of these activities. This was an OK book. I do like that is has several paint and play dough recipes- which is great if you have to watch the ingredients due to food allergies! I would say the best way to approach this book (and probably ones like it) is to see it as a resource. Once I put the mom stick away and stopped wondering why I don't do super-creative things with my kid every day, I could loo ...more
Heather
This book has lots of great ideas to do with my 18-month-old as well as fun activities for older toddlers. I would say it gears more towards older toddlers, but still has some fun games for the younger ones. She also has a great list for things to keep around after we're done using them and a list for some essentials.

But I will admit that some of the activities or games are just not my style. I'm either too lazy or not creative enough to even attempt these. I would say overall the activities loo
Christie Gilmore
A ton of quick, fun ideas to keep toddlers smiling and busy
Cailean
Jessica reminded me of these wonderful books! They are small and handy and easy to pull out. Each page has an activity and the few things you need to make a fun time with your toddler. I bought two of her books around the time Julia was born so I could focus on creating fun at home for Elizabeth and give her more attention. I will freely admit we did only about a dozen of the many many activities in here but what it did do is inspire me to think outside the box about what fun we can have with a ...more
Missy
I think that this is an awesome book for anyone that has toddler/preschool age kids. It has 365 ideas (one for each day) for you to do with your child. I love it because most of the items that you need are things that you already have on hand. They also have tons of recipes for homemade play dough, clay, paint etc. I do a home preschool and it has saved me many times when I needed a last minute easy actvity that doesn't require a lot of set up. I would say it is definitely worth the time and mon ...more
Bookchick
A good book to get you in the right mindset for coming up with new and simple activities for your toddler. Her ideas in and of themselves are helpful but also allow you to see that entertaining your child doesn't have to involve unusual materials or a lot of prep time. After reading this, I didn't feel that I needed her books for older children (I perused them) as I was able to figure out myself how to creatively use household objects in unique and diversionary ways.
Heather
Not a bad book to have on your shelf when you need a quick idea and are feeling brain dead. I liked the sensory stuff and recipes for art materials (I get a lot of satisfaction from making things for kids to play with out of things in my kitchen). But a lot of this stuff is just silly (Give them a tissue box and let them pull all the tissues out?? I have this book precisely because I don't want them to do that).
Jenny Conatser
Ten! I give it a TEN! (Clearly, I love the movie Varsity Blues.) This book is awesome. There are so many activites easy to do in a pinch with stuff you have lying around the house. None of it is rocket science, but they're all excellent ideas for the age group, and also things I wouldn't have thought about myself. If you have a toddler (or a friend with a toddler), BUY IT NOW!!!
Oct 12, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Moms, nursery leaders, teachers
Fabulous activity book--full of tons of ideas of things to do with the little ones. None of the activities are cost prohibitive, and most involve stuff I already have around the house. It is all divided into sections, like "water" and "car trips" and "grocery shopping" which makes it easy to find what I need. Great book!
Jessie
I really like this book. It gives so many great ideas of things to do with your toddlers and children. The actitvities use basic supplies from the house. The book formatting is easy to understand and accessible when needing an idea for a game. I would like to purchase this book and mark it up for my favorite ideas.
Dolly
Fun activities for little ones - with advice on what to do and how to do it, things to save and ways to improvise. It's a handy book for new parents. There are so many different arts and crafts, recipes to make and specific holiday selections, that it would be virtually impossible to do them all!
Pretty good book with a long introduction about toddlers development and the author's interactions with her own kids, followed by 365 pages of ideas to: do, make, play, create, sing, and generally keep from going insane on those long day (of rain, or endless winter, or when everyone is sick!)
Amy
Jun 08, 2008 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of toddlers/preschoolers
Excellent quickie ideas to keep toddlers busy. I love that it has a list in the beginning of the supplies needed for th rest of the book, and that if you have those supplies on hand, you can do an activity without much prep. If it had more inside activities, I'd give it five stars.
Alisa
Same idea as the preschooler busy book, but this is designed for younger children. Good ideas. Didn't think it was quite as full of ideas as the preschooler, but still great. Lots of the ideas can be used for older children. Especially liked the rhyming/singing portion.
Stacy
Again, in my quest for creative activities for evan, I picked up this little gem. Some of the ideas are quite simple, but the compilation is great with playdough recipes, nusury rhymes and more that help you "remember" the fun activities you used to do as a kid.
Janel
I am not that great at entertaining kids. Most days are spent running errands and cooking. Sometimes I can go a whole day without a book or a game and feel terrible about it at the end of the day. This is a good way to incorporate some fun and creativity.
Maren
I seem to have little imagination when it comes to thinking of creative things to do with my toddler. This book has a lot of simple realistic ideas that mainly use things that I actually have around the house. I'm excited to try them out.
Marie
A great little book full of ideas for games and crafts for little ones. The book says it is for ages 1 1/2- 3 year olds but I could see some of the projects would be great for older kids too. Heck, even I want to try out some of them. :)
Andrea
This has a ton of good ideas for toddlers!! It's just what I've been looking for to do more activities with Jocelyn. I love that it gives a variety of outside things, indoor things, and quiet time activities. I want to buy this one.
David
When I first looked at this book I thought it was full of common sense ideas and not much help. But after a second run-through and the return of cold winter days with two little children, I'm thinking it's pretty good to have around.
Beth
May 02, 2007 Beth added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents or caregivers of young children
Shelves: librarybooks
This book gave me some good ideas for new things to do on rainy days with my 2 year old son, but a lot of the ideas were activities that we already do. I do plan on using some of the recipes for fingerpaint and gingerbread ornaments.
Brynn
Great book with many ideas that are simple and creative. I have looked at many books of this type and this is my favorite I have come across because the ideas are easily applicable with few household items usually. Fun!
Melanie
This book is just full of great activities to do with toddlers. The thing I like the most about it is that it uses common household objects and takes little prep time. Great book for anyone interacting with toddlers.
Baby & Toddle...: Entertaining a Toddler :) 2 9 Aug 09, 2012 01:11PM
  • Unplugged Play: No Batteries. No Plugs. Pure Fun.
  • First Art: Art Experiences for Toddlers and Twos
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
  • Outside the Box: A Book of Poems
  • Lucy Rose: Here's the Thing About Me
  • I Love You Rituals
  • Infant Massage: A Handbook for Loving Parents
  • Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: Fortifying Our Youth and Healing Our Prodigals
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • Super Baby Food: Absolutely Everything You Should Know about Feeding Your Baby and Toddler from Starting Solid Foods to Age Three Years
  • Positive Discipline: The First Three Years: From Infant to Toddler--Laying the Foundation for Raising a Capable, Confident Child
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • All Year Round
  • Show Me a Story: 40 Craft Projects and Activities to Spark Children's Storytelling
  • Above All, Be Kind: Raising a Humane Child in Challenging Times
  • Baby Signs: How to Talk with Your Baby Before Your Baby Can Talk, New Edition
  • Soft-Spoken Parenting: 50 Ways to Not Lose Your Temper With Your Kids
  • A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother
Preschooler's Busy Book: 365 fun, creative, screen-free activities to stimulate your preschooler every day of the year! The Children's Busy Book: 365 Creative Learning Games and Activities to Keep Your 6- to 10-Year-Old Busy (Busy Books) The Arts & Crafts Busy Book: 365 Screen-Free Art and Craft Activities to Keep Toddlers and Preschoolers Busy The Wiggle & Giggle Busy Book: 365 Fun, Physical Activities for Your Toddler and Preschooler The Toddler's Busy Book: 365 Creative Learning Games and Activitied to Keep Your 11/2-to 3 Year Old Busy