Start by marking “Science Friction: Where the Known Meets the Unknown” as Want to Read:
Science Friction: Where the Known Meets the Unknown

Science Friction: Where the Known Meets the Unknown

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  360 ratings  ·  34 reviews
"Michael Shermer has given a lot of things a lot of thought. If your perceptions have ever rubbed you the wrong way, you'll find Science Friction fascinating." --Bill Nye, The Science Guy

A scientist pretends to be a psychic for a day--and fools everyone. An athlete discovers that good-luck rituals and getting into "the zone" may, or may not, improve his performance. A son
Published December 27th 2005 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Science Friction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Science Friction

David
Some of the essays in this book are excellent, while others are just boring. For example, Shermer takes 19 pages to report on the "Bright" episode in his life. He coined the word "bright" to mean skeptics, or non-believers. Most people reacted critically to the name, and he eventually was forced to drop it. But Shermer organizes page-long lists and tabulations of statistics on the issue--this was a big yawn for me.

Another 22-page essay was about a controversy dealing with a few anthropologists w
Eoin Flynn
I love Michael Shermer's work in general; his debates, his articles in Skeptic Magazine and in Scientific American, his books, etc. However, this book was a let down.

Shermer appears to have been very self indulgent in writing it - spending pages upon pages lost in nostalgia about his own life. This becomes tedious after a while. I did not wish to read a biography.

Another negative point is the fact that very little new material seems to have gone into this book at the time it was written. It is
Bill
This is a collection of mostly previously-published essays and is a little uneven, like most anthologies. I found at least one essay, "The Big 'Bright' Brouhaha" (about re-branding atheism), to be pretty irrelevant, and there are portions of this book that I have seen in Shermer's Why People Believe Weird Things.

However, the third section, "Science and the (Re)Writing of History" is fascinating and challenging. Schermer's chaos theory of history is stunning, and his analysis of the causes of th
Jim Razinha
This is an excellent group of essays. As a psychologist and science historian, as well as founder and editor of Skeptic, Shermer thinks!

This book groups his thoughts into four sections: Science and the Virtue of Not Knowing; Science and the Meaning of Body, Mind and Spirit; Science and the (Re)Writing of History; and Science and the Cult of Visionaries

He begins with an amusing recount of how he played psychic for a day, using tarot, palms, astrology and mediumship to see how well he could fake t
Jon Wilson
Michael Shermer likes his statistics. Man, this book is full of lists and numbers and comparisons ad infinitum between lists and numbers (there is actually an entire chapter just discussing lists!).

I expected to like this much more than I did. Making it to the end was something of an endurance contest. For the most part, Shermer presents compelling arguments, but he engages in too much begging of questions (e.g., "we've evolved for monogamy") without even entertaining the possibility that there
Many years ago, too far back to remember now, I was watching one of those shows they used to show around Halloween (and are now ubiquitous on cable) about ghosts and ghost hunting or something of that ilk. On that show they interviewed Michael Shermer about why people beleive in mysterious ghosts and aliens and whatnot. He had just published Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time, and I was totally entranced by what he had to say.

I ran out
Susan Pearce
Given how many other books are claiming my attention, I'm not sticking with this one. Hopefully it'll earn me some good credit at Arty Bees. I was seduced into buying it by his first excellent chapter on how he passed himself off as a psychic.

Before discovering science, Shermer studied to become an evangelical pastor, and I'd argue that the preaching / teaching -genes that led him to that point still dominate his work, although to a different end. I admire the breadth of his curiosity, his deter
Patrick Ellard
Science Friction, written by prominent scientist and skeptic Michael Shermer is more of a collection of 14 essays about various subjects than a typical popular science book. The essay topics themselves are extremely varied dealing with religion, sports psychology, psychics, the science of history and many others so whether or not you enjoy this book is almost entirely dependent on whether or not you have an interest in the subject being discussed.

There is no doubting Shermer's writing ability an
Andrew
A collection of articles written for various magazines, Michael Shermer shows off a surprising range of topics in this single volume. Shermer's essay are meticulously researched, and he always has an interesting point to make, whether posing as a psychic, explaining scientific causes of historical drama, or refuting creationism.
Shermer's range is so great that there is something to satisfy the interests of almost any reader. Therein lies the one major problem with this book: every reader is boun
Mike
Shermer's books are usually quite good. This particular volume is a bit of a catchall, incorporating a number of his essays into a single book but failing to find a single theme. There is a lengthy exposition and analysis of the writings of Stephen Jay Gould, a study of the Mutiny on the Bounty, a discussion of the Yanomamo controversy, a defense of the term "brights", a quick look into a week spent pretending to be psychic, and an unfocused description of the way both contingency and inevitabil ...more
Jesse Markus
I was disappointed because I thought this book was going to be more about challenging scientific taboos. I wasn't looking for something that validated fringe science. But I expected it to tackle the divisive controversies of science. Instead, this is a collection of essays that Shermer has written over the years, on topics as diverse as Creationism, the Mutiny on the Bounty, and his mother's struggle with cancer. I give the book five stars because it was still an excellent fucking book, it just ...more
Milan Žila
I am glad I went for the abridged audiobook. As stated in reviews before, some parts were very interesting while others dragged on a little. Overall I liked Shermers discussions and presentations available on Youtube a little better than this book.
David R.
This is an uneven collection of essays by the author. The tone is a bit too self-congratulatory and high handed: about the sort of thing one could expect from one who proudly labels his circle of allies as "The Brights".
Elise
Jul 30, 2007 Elise rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody
This book is not my cup of tea. I thought it would be, it seems like it would be, but it's not. The tone is pompous, smug and unbearable and more often than not I found myself reading through an article and asking myself, "Yeah? So what?" There is an occasional good point made, an occasional moment of insight, but on the whole the text is little more than masturbatory, hardly worth its weight in packing peanuts. A collection of essays and articles about skepticism, beliefs, science and Star Trek ...more
Vince Gotera
In this collection of entertaining and thought-provoking essays, Science Friction, Michael Shermer turns a skeptical eye towards all sorts of science-related topics, including the so-called "anthropology wars"; Gene Roddenberry and Harlan Ellison's Star Trek tiff; the vicissitudes of evolution in contemporary life; the scholarly reputation of Stephen Jay Gould; and the current skeptic movement, among many fascinating subjects. A great read ... check it out.

On my blog, I recently wrote a post abo
Beth Robinson
This collection of essays was somewhat uneven, at least to my personal taste. Some I really liked, some I just pushed through, I'm glad I read it though.
Hans Mülller
Collection of essays, oke but not brilliant.
Liked the one on the best episode of Star Trek :-)

Blayne
I got this book from the library because I loved Michael's column in Scirentific America. The book is a collection of essays on varying topics, and sounded like a good read for an upcoming airplane trip.

I read the intro, but never made it back to the book before it had to be returned to the library. The topics sounded interesting, but its doubtful I will re-rent this book from the library. However, I do intend look up what other books by Shermer my library has available.
Donna
I enjoyed Why People Believe Weird Things, but this collection was dull in comparison. I felt like I was reading more about the author than the ideas, which was not what I was looking for.
h. jane
The first half of this book was interesting. The author is really annoying and it's hard to take him seriously when he obviously takes himself SO SERIOUSLY. There are some good points in this book.

This author writes about how we use "scientific fact" to explain and understand things and how problematic that can be.
Abbey
Michael Shermer is the founder of Skeptic magazine, a tiny voice for reason in the constant clatter of sensationalism. This book makes the point that some bias is inevitable, but we can at least know our biases and reduce their ability to blind us to evidence.
Natasha
Compilation of essays Michael Shermer has written in the past. Interesting topics, but at times the style of writing leads much to be desired, e.g., instead of referring to notes, he explains his sources in the text which detracts from the flow of the work at times.
Christopher Carbone
Variety of stories and essays that really provide the reader with a lot to think about. And on top of all that a touching essay about Shermer's mom who passed away a few years ago. It talks about how an atheist says goodbye to a loved one. It was great.
Yofish
Series of essays written by a leading "Skeptic." Some are interesting about philosophy of science, and some anti-non-science (like Intelligent Design). But some are just listing data that doesn't seem to go anywhere.

(Really 3.5)
Jim Good
A series of Shermers essays written and published elsewhere. At its best puts thought into critics of new age spiritalism and intelligent design advocats. Can get lost as with the closing historical review of Steven Gould’s life work.
Kirsten Uhler
Shermer writes a collection of interesting essays that cause one to think more critically. Aside from his going into exhausting and seemingly unnecessary detail at times, he does a good job confronting unscientific thought.
Jenny Schmenny
I haven't been able to finish this. I wanted to love it, but I found the first chapter to be a little boring and smug. I think there are some great ideas in here and someone else should have written about them.
Chad Young
Very intriguing look at where science is pushing the boundaries between belief/fate/fantasy and reality. Shows the importance and value of skepticism.
Jrobertus
sherman is a scientific american editor. this is a series of essays about science, sociology and the way people think.
Steve
Uninspired. That said, some of the essays are quite fun to read.
  • The Fallacy of Fine-Tuning: Why the Universe Is Not Designed for Us
  • Nonsense on Stilts: How to Tell Science from Bunk
  • Voodoo Science: The Road from Foolishness to Fraud
  • Intelligent Thought: Science Versus the Intelligent Design Movement
  • God, the Devil, and Darwin: A Critique of Intelligent Design Theory
  • The Skeptic's Dictionary: A Collection of Strange Beliefs, Amusing Deceptions, and Dangerous Delusions
  • Attack of the Theocrats!: How the Religious Right Harms Us All — and What We Can Do About It
  • The Faith Healers
  • Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast: The Evolutionary Origins of Belief
  • Did Adam and Eve Have Navels?
  • Evolution vs. Creationism: An Introduction
  • The Republican War on Science
  • SuperSense: Why We Believe in the Unbelievable
  • The Grand Inquisitor's Manual
  • The Science of Everyday Life
  • Snake Oil Science: The Truth about Complementary and Alternative Medicine
  • River Out of Eden: A Darwinian View of Life
  • Why We Believe in God(s): A Concise Guide to the Science of Faith
Michael Brant Shermer (born September 8, 1954 in Glendale, California) is an American science writer, historian of science, founder of The Skeptics Society, and Editor in Chief of its magazine Skeptic, which is largely devoted to investigating and debunking pseudoscientific and supernatural claims. The Skeptics Society currently has over 55,000 members.

Shermer is also the producer and co-host of t
More about Michael Shermer...
Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time The Believing Brain: From Ghosts and Gods to Politics and Conspiracies How We Construct Beliefs and Reinforce Them as Truths Why Darwin Matters: The Case Against Intelligent Design How We Believe: Science, Skepticism, and the Search for God The Science of Good and Evil: Why People Cheat, Gossip, Care, Share, and Follow the Golden Rule