Start by marking “How We Believe: Science, Skepticism, and the Search for God” as Want to Read:
How We Believe: Science, Skepticism, and the Search for God

How We Believe: Science, Skepticism, and the Search for God

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,745 ratings  ·  54 reviews
A new edition covering the latest scientific research on how the brain makes us believers or skeptics

Recent polls report that 96 percent of Americans believe in God, and 73 percent believe that angels regularly visit Earth. Why is this? Why, despite the rise of science, technology, and secular education, are people turning to religion in greater numbers than ever before? W...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 368 pages
Published October 1st 2003 by Holt Paperbacks (first published September 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about How We Believe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How We Believe

The God Delusion by Richard DawkinsGod is Not Great by Christopher HitchensThe End of Faith by Sam HarrisThe Demon-Haunted World by Carl SaganLetter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris
Notable Atheist Books
48th out of 275 books — 708 voters
The Demon-Haunted World by Carl SaganCosmos by Carl SaganWhy People Believe Weird Things by Michael ShermerThe God Delusion by Richard DawkinsBad Science by Ben Goldacre
A Skeptic's Library
17th out of 68 books — 61 voters

More lists with this book...

Lee Harmon
Michael Shermer is the founding publisher of Skeptic magazine, the director of the Skeptics Society, and host of the Skeptics Lecture Series. I don’t need to tell you what sort of direction this book is going to take. But even knowing what to expect, this was a fun book, well worth the read!

Shermer, noting that 96% of Americans believe in God and 73% believe that angels regular visit earth, asks one question: Why? Why do even 40% of scientists proclaim a belief in God? Why do more people believe...more
Scott
Feb 09, 2007 Scott rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
This book does a great job at explaining the origins of religion and how it was a necessary by product of evolution. After reading this is hard to deny that religion and the concept of God is not explainable through natural processes. Then given the choice between an understandable natural phenomena and a mysterious supernatural phenomena, why should anyone choose religion over science unless for comfort? Because of this book I changed my religious label to nontheist meaning I don’t believe reas...more
Alex Ristea
Michael Shermer is the founding editor of Skeptic Magazine and holds a Ph.D. in history of science.

This book take a deep, deep look at the fundamental, scientific reasons why we, as humans, tend to believe. How did these ideas develop in our history? How are they beneficial (or detrimental) to us? Do we even realize the true reason for certain things that we do?

Let me say that Shermer is not by any accounts a militant atheist. He is often kind and generous and examines God, religion, and myth "n...more
Steve
The thing I like about Michael Shermer is he holds a very precise view of the world - if you make a claim (about anything) then be prepared to prove it, with scientific evidence.

The survey of American's beliefs is fascinating (though frankly scary), the reasoning and conclusions as to how we believe odd things convincing, and the breadth of the research that has gone into this volume fairly impressive. The problem is I found the book cast a little wide to be able to be able focus on properly.

T...more
Ryan
Nicolas Shump
I have read the first edition, so I don't know what might have changed between editions. Shermer is the director of the Skeptic Society so it is not difficult to imagine his stance regarding belief and religion. Still, Shermer is obviously well-educated and makes a good case for his agnostic position.
However, I would have liked for Shermer to engage Catholicism more and better. He was a born-again Christian who lost his faith. This has resulted in what I see as a certain hostility, if not, patr...more
Mahbub Zaman
Listening to Shermer reading his "How We Believe: The Search for God in an Age of Science" became interesting towards the end, where he expressed his (and shared by many others) feelings on freedom in a world without the necessity of a super-natural being for the meaning of our existence. How he finds more meaning in this given condition of meaninglessness, leaving us to the openness of defining our own meaning, living the life to the fullest, in absence of daemons and angels, fire and the heave...more
David Svihel
Michael Shermer, publisher of Skeptic magazine, and director of the Skeptics society, has produced a work attempting to synthesize several academic fields including: anthropology, sociology, and biology to answer the question as to why humans hold to religious beliefs. Divided into two parts the book discusses I. God and Belief, and II. Religion and Science.

Part I begins with a chapter called “Do You Believe in God?” Shermer starts with his own story of conversion to the Christian faith and his...more
Noreen
I found this book rather boring, maybe because I don't need to be convinced by the arguments he makes. I had already read some excellent books on the subject by Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins. Even as a child, I was called "negative" and "critical" perhaps because I saw through people's self-delusions. However as a speaker, Dr. Shermer is excellent -- funny, relevant, concise.

I saw him give a talk at a university a couple of months ago. The event was listed in a Meetup group of which...more
Joel Justiss
x Happy is the man who finds wisdom…its profit better than gold… - Proverbs 3:13-18
xviii Contrary to what most religions preach about the need and importance of faith, most people believe because of reason.
27 When half a million men blanketed the Washington, D.C., Mall on October 4, 1997, it was the largest religious rally in American history.
95 Unless the supernatural exists, there can be no miracles. A miracle is really a name for something we cannot explain. The point of miracles is to inspir...more
David
After I read Why People Believe Weird Things, I really wanted to get a hold of more books by Michael Shermer, renowned skeptic and founder of Skeptic magazine. And while this book is enormously valuable, it sails far over my head sometimes. It is not as fun or readable as WPBWT, perhaps because that book was more of a general collection of self-contained essays and this books is a grand dissertation on a topic. Nevertheless, there is a lot here to think about.

The subject of the book is about ho...more
Socraticgadfly
Not bad, but an urban legend oops and a caveat
On page 220, Shermer repeats one version of the QWERTY myth when he says the normal typewriter layout was "designed for nineteenth-century typewriters whose key striking mechanisms were too slow for human finger speed." He then goes on to point out the sequence DFGHJKL on the home row and says, "It appears that the original key arrangement was just a straight alphabetical sequence, which made sense in early experiments before testing was done to dete...more
Kirsten
Michael Shermer doesn't have a problem with you if you believe in God. What he has a problem with is the way that some people (he mainly focuses on Christians here) try to use science to prove God's existence. Moreso, they use BAD science with little understanding of the scientific method, and that really rankles.

This is a really interesting book to read if you're curious about the history of the intersection of God and science, and if you are looking for something less adamantly atheistic than...more
Bevans
This book isn’t concerned with the truth of claims made by religions, but is merely interested in examining belief from cultural, behavioral, psychological, philosophical, and scientific perspectives.

The big question here is: why does religion exist? What purpose does it serve? What aspects of religion can be explained by science, and what makes religions similar and different?

The book covers much that Daniel Dennett’s book "Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon" does, but Shermer...more
Allen Price
This is a very formative book in my current thinking of how we come to believe what we do. Scientific, religious, or otherwise. Schermer writes a column which I like in Scientific American, so i anticipated this being a good book. I wasn't disappointed. He's done his homework and looked human perception in the eye and yet writes without judgement.

He asserts we are a "pattern-seeking, social animal" that bring to adulthood what our parents taught us. The challenge we encounter then is how do we d...more
Mike
Shermer illustrates that our "belief machine", our mechanism for understanding the world, arose from our need to believe _something_ in that believing true things and disbelieving false things increases our chances of survival. Unfortunately, that same mechanism easily picks up and believes false things and disbelieves true things, especially where those mistakes don't cost us too much. At the same time, he helpfully illustrates the features of worldwide cults and religions that are shared with...more
April
I read this for a psychology of religion class that I took a few years ago. I didn't not always like Shermer when I was reading him. It isn't an easy read, and I'm not religious. Those in the class that were didn't even want to be reading the book and some dropped the class. Once I made it through though, I found I took a lot away from what he said and he gave me a lot to continue to mull over. I have since read a few of his other books and will go back to read this again in the near future. You...more
Adam
Pros: Shermer uses caution and wields his skepticism with care in this excellent description of the human desire for something to believe in. While he is quick to debunk, he often doesn't beat the horse too long after it is dead (forever).

Cons: There are a few isntances where Shermer's skepticism forces him to come to conclusions that reason alone may not support. Other than that, the material starts to get saggy in the middle. It's not horrible, just a little dry for its length.

Overall: I am a...more
Jimagn
This is a very clearly written and well-researched book on religion and belief in god. I've often wondered how religion came to have such a secure place in most people's lives and whether religion is a cultural construct that humanity may one day discard. After reading this book it is clear how religion evolved with humanity. The prognostication for the path of continued evolution is not so clear. As we have profoundly changed our environment, we may find this trait has lost its survival value....more
Amy
This was very interesting. I read Gould's book about the "nonoverlapping magisteria" so that part of Shermer's thesis was familiar. (The idea is faith and science have nothing to do with one another - you cannot "prove" god exists because "proof" is in the domain of science - it is a reasonable, logical thing. You either believe or not (or are not sure, or haven't made up your mind, etc) You also cannot have faith in science - you either have a proof available or not)

Shermer also discussed shar...more
Jim Razinha
I found this fascinating, as I have Shermer's other books. The amount of research he does is amazing. The statistics, while dated, are disturbing and if the election and reelection of George Bush is any indicator, American irrationality is a disease that is growing. Beliefs are based on emotion and environment and at least one news network fans the flames of ignorance, capitalizing on those emotions.
Leslie
(Too be said in a loud booming voice..) IN THE BEGINNING was Michael Shermer saying, oh so sweetly, he didn't write this book to try to convince anyone there isn't a God, and then spends the next 300 pages doing exactly that. He definitely loves the sound of what he must presume is the melodious sound of his voice. Instead of sugar I found sour instead. Bored to tears through most of it.
Dave
Apr 13, 2008 Dave rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interested in the philosophy of religion or sociology and spiritual seekers
Recommended to Dave by: A unitarian universalist friend
Shelves: non-fiction-read
A book about the psychology of belief. Written from a perspective of evolutionary impact on culture. Michael Shermer, editor of Skeptic Magazine, describes his own early religious conversion and later move into upbeat skepticism. He describes evolutionary forces that might affect group selection and community identity. A very interesting book with plausible, intelligible and fruitful ideas.
Ashley
I only read about half the chapters in the book (was instructed to!), but Michael Shermer presents very interesting and engaging ideas about why people believe in higher powers. He was a Christian, then an atheist, and is now agnostic, so it's hard to dislike him or his views because he is pretty fair. He gives a good, secular perspective for Christians to be aware of.
Dan
Good, but not terribly enlightening. The pattern-recognition as basis for religion was pretty interesting, and the introductory chapter, in which Shermer discusses how his personal friend and fellow skeptic Dr. Laura (yes, THAT Dr. Laura) turned into a batshit crazy religious nutcase thus putting a strain on their friendship, is definitely worth reading.
Jamie
This book is an eyeopener! It brings together history, psychology, sociology, anthropology, and biology together to weave the human story of belief. It is truly a phenomenal book, full of critically thought concepts! It is also quite readable! I finished in a little less than a week and learned so much! Loved it!
Tamara
A little too technical at times, but interesting. Shermer doesn't totally dump on believers, having been a born-again Christian at one point. He now is skeptical of religion, but allows that many others might not be. Not so much looking at how religion rose, but just an overall view of how/why people today believe.
Cole Schoolland
After taking a copious amount of notes I will shortly embark on a massive review of this book. Shermer demands much more than few paltry lines in a text box. If you are interesting in seeing the result just send me a message and I'll share it when I'm finished.
Craig
Sep 11, 2007 Craig rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fellow Skeptics
Michael Shermer is one of the great minds in current publc discourse - he has the courage to constantly stand up against the Religious Right and shine the very unpopular light of Skepticism. His writings will challenge you, make you think, and dare you to question...
Eric_W
see my review of Why People Believe Weird Things for a joint review.
  • Society Without God: What the Least Religious Nations Can Tell Us about Contentment
  • The New Atheism: Taking a Stand for Science and Reason
  • Flim-Flam!
  • Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast: The Evolutionary Origins of Belief
  • The Skeptic's Dictionary: A Collection of Strange Beliefs, Amusing Deceptions, and Dangerous Delusions
  • Why God Won't Go Away: Brain Science and the Biology of Belief
  • 50 Reasons People Give for Believing in a God
  • Nonsense on Stilts: How to Tell Science from Bunk
  • Irreligion: A Mathematician Explains Why the Arguments for God Just Don't Add Up
  • Fads and Fallacies in the Name of Science
  • Voodoo Science: The Road from Foolishness to Fraud
  • The God Virus: How Religion Infects Our Lives and Culture
  • The Quotable Atheist: Ammunition for Nonbelievers, Political Junkies, Gadflies, and Those Generally Hell-Bound
  • Atheist Universe: The Thinking Person's Answer to Christian Fundamentalism
  • Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity
  • Religion Explained: The Evolutionary Origins of Religious Thought
  • Why We Believe in God(s): A Concise Guide to the Science of Faith
  • How We Know What Isn't So: The Fallibility of Human Reason in Everyday Life
Michael Brant Shermer (born September 8, 1954 in Glendale, California) is an American science writer, historian of science, founder of The Skeptics Society, and Editor in Chief of its magazine Skeptic, which is largely devoted to investigating and debunking pseudoscientific and supernatural claims. The Skeptics Society currently has over 55,000 members.

Shermer is also the producer and co-host of t...more
More about Michael Shermer...
Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time The Believing Brain: From Ghosts and Gods to Politics and Conspiracies How We Construct Beliefs and Reinforce Them as Truths Why Darwin Matters: The Case Against Intelligent Design The Science of Good and Evil: Why People Cheat, Gossip, Care, Share, and Follow the Golden Rule The Mind of the Market: Compassionate Apes, Competitive Humans, and Other Tales from Evolutionary Economics