Start by marking “Problogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income” as Want to Read:
Problogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income

Problogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  857 ratings  ·  88 reviews
A complete how-to from two of the world's top bloggersThousands of aspiring bloggers launch new blogs every day, hoping to boost their income. Without solid advice from experts, most will fail. This bestselling guide, now fully revised with new and updated tips and tricks from two of the world's most successful bloggers, provides the step-by-step information bloggers need ...more
Published April 23rd 2010 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Problogger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Problogger

Jacki
In ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income, Darren Rowse and Chris Garrett lay out all the steps that have made them such a success. With chapters like "Blogging for Money", "Blog Income and Earning Strategies", and "Secrets of Successful Blogs", the reader discovers how to choose what to write about and keep their blog successful.

The book was chock full of useful information for the beginning blogger. Topics like evaluating analytics and determinining your niche were e
Natasha B
So I just finished Problogger Secrets For Blogging Your Way To A Six Figure Income written by Darren Rowse and Chris Garrett, both very successful professional bloggers in their own right. I really enjoyed the book in its entirety, there wasn’t a chapter I didn’t find useful. And I must admit that the book was very well written. It not only kept me engaged and wanting to learn more, but it also managed to build my enthusiasm and excitement to become a blogger.

What I really appreciated from the
I evaluated the updated version of this book for inclusion in a college course I am teaching next fall and while I think some people will find it useful (some of the info on monetization is good), it's not one I will include on my course reading list. It's slanted toward a very specific perspective, and not one that will work for the type of student (very creative folks) that take my courses. It's very heavily pushing self-hosting WP as the best way for bloggers to go, which isn't necessarily th ...more
Anna Lundberg
A lot of information that is very basic - good if you are really just starting out, but a bit too simple if you already have an established blog. The key insights are in the different ways to monetise them, directly or indirectly. I found the most valuable part to be a list of 20 types of blog posts (e.g. lists, reviews, interviews...) to help me to diversify the content that I'm producing. If nothing else, the book is inspiring (though also realistic) in terms of what can be achieved.

I listened
Loren
Jan 16, 2015 Loren rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Amateur Bloggers, Writers
Shelves: writing
This book was very thorough and helpful in breaking down some of the more complicated strategies in blogging. It starts by giving a very basic overview of the different ways one can make an income through blogging, then explores these concepts more in-depth in the following chapters. It stressed the importance of niche markets and focusing on providing quality content for your audience.

Additionally, this book touches upon another income method that isn't as well-known: buying and selling blogs.
Robert
I was wandering our library when I saw this book on the shelf. Thinking a second income would be nice, even if it was not six figures, I picked this up. This really is quite a good book filled with a lot of helpful ideas. And it also helps to check out some of the stuff the author points out is available online. This is where I ran into some problems. This book was published quite a few years ago, and computers and the websites mentioned have undergone a lot of changes in that time. Yet there is ...more
Linus
Clear and concise ideas on how to improve your chance to earn money off your blog.
Angelique Jurd
This has become one of the many how to handbooks for bloggers and if you are new to the space - or even if you've been dabbling - it is full of good tips.

On the plus side - there are some great tips to get you going, especially if blogging is a new medium for you. Blogging is often seen as an easy money spinner but in fact is quite hard work(I've been blogging for over seven years) and that six figure income is not going to happen over night - even with the secrets Chris shares.

One of the thin
Suzie
This book is the beginner’s guide to blogging, when to do it, how to do it, how to make money but not what to write. It is great for the beginner or the almost beginner.

I found this book to be really useful and there’s one major problem…I didn’t read it in front of the computer and do all of the exercises and research while reading so I’ll have to read it again. I read this book with two things in mind. The first thing in my mind was this blog, I really want to make it look better and make it ea
Kevin
Over the past month or so I’ve been wanting to get back into blogging and trying to figure out what my personal blog should be focused on. What’s my niche? Why do people read my blog? What should I write about? It’s the type of questions that I believe every blogger asks at some point in the life of their blog.

Through the course of asking myself these questions, having a couple of conversations with a friend about a new joint-venture in blogging, and looking for some ideas to generate a little e
ProBlogger is written by two professionals and experts on the act of blogging to generate income; Darren Rowse and Chris Garrett. An updated second edition of this book was released in April 2010, although now a year later the industry has changed further, as it continuously does. Nevertheless, ProBlogger is a great how-to guide for those who aren't quite as business-savvy when it comes to blogging as a means for regular income.

From instructions on how to channel and find your blogging "niche",
Jack Perdue
This book does give some great advice to becoming a more proficient blogger. However I have the audiobook version and it simply doesn't translate well to having it read to you. First the reader's voice was annoying (as has been stated in many reviews) and too, to listen to a 40 character URL read to you is lazy on the part of the author (or publisher) and a waste of time for the reader. If this were given more thought it could be really great since the author is an accomplished blogger.
Farnoosh Brock
A great book and I was already a big fan of Darren Rowse and his blog but I don't believe that a lot of what isin this book is going to apply today as it did several years ago when Darren started his blogging career.

Darren is a very successful and professional blogger, a fine example to follow and learn from, and there is some inspiration as well. This may serve you well if you are new to the blogging scene and interested in pursuing it more as a side-hustle if not a full-time job down the road
Kelly  Schuknecht
Authors Rowse and Garrett are accomplished bloggers who have compiled their years of experience into this extremely helpful guide for bloggers. Whether you blog for fun and simply want to grow your readership or you want to learn how to earn real money from blogging, ProBlogger will walk you through everything you need to know. From the design of your blog to the content to social media marketing - Rowse and Garrett cover it all in great detail.

This book is an amazing resource that all bloggers
Ray
The beginner blogger will most likely pick up some useful tips on how to establish a blog, start writing content, and promote themselves with the aim of building an audience. However, those who take interest in the author's claim to contain, "secrets for blogging your way to a six-figure income" should be aware that - by the author's own admittance - this is unlikely to happen, at least not from blogging itself. The actual money-making methods described from selling advertising space on your blo ...more
Aubrey
I picked up this book because the title is rather interesting, not because I want to make six figures. I'm new to blogging so I'd like to read whatever is out there and learn more. It was a super easy read and very well laid out. However, I was a bit disappointed in the content. It reminded me of when I read a book about online book selling. The basics are everything they teach us in business school. So much of what I learned in college from how to choose a name to how to evaluate competition wa ...more
Josh Morris
A great book filled with very useful info for anyone hoping to start professional blogging, I particularly like the emphasis on niche targeting.
I didn't like the constant political correctness/ethical disclaimers throughout the book.. We get it Darren your a "good guy".
Sarah Fowler
Basically a beginner's guide to blogging. If you've been wanting to learn more about how to "really" get in to blogging or how to start totally from scratch, you can't do better than this book.
If you already have a successful blog this book may give you some ideas for how to further monetize it, but it's likely you already know most of what's here.
It suffers from being 2 years old (of course it does; it's a book about the Internet!); Technorati is mentioned a lot and it's become mainstream for
Tim
This book was the first real book that dove into running a successful blog from A to Z. I thought it was very helpful at the time, as a 1st edition.
Shankar Ganesh
If you're new to blogging, it's a must that you read this book. Darren doesn't do self promotion at all. He's genuine and the book is very well structured. Darren covers everything from writing content, making money to tools for bloggers and that's why I think it's a wholesome resource for any new blogger out there who wants some guidance.

If you've been blogging for quite some time, like over a year or so, you might know most of the stuff mentioned here - RSS feeds, etc. so you might find that t
Christina
Though I'm not interested in quitting my day job to blog as a paid career, I recommend you buy this book if you're a blogger who wants to take your writing to the next level. Darren Rowse gives great format and content advice. I didn't read the section on monetizing a blog and buying and selling blogs because it held no use for me. Again, this book echoes other books in telling the reader to start and build up an original blog in a niche you're passionate about. ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging ...more
Teena in Toronto
I've been blogging for years and I still find the blogging phenomenon fascinating.

So when I come across books about blogging, I read them.

I have no dreams or ambitions about making a six-figure income by blogging (wouldn't that be nice, though?).

But it's interesting to read about someone's theory on how to do it.

The first part of this book was more of a how-to-blog, a lot of which I know but was interesting nonetheless. The second half actually got into the details of the different ways of makin
Andy
This book was excellent! It's practical, scanable, and easily referenced. (Not unlike a good blog, eh?) I found chapter 4, "Blog Writing" to be worth the price of the book alone. My copy is filled with highlights, notes, and dog-eared pages. I honestely have referenced it multiple times since I've finished reading.

If you're serious about having a blog that reads well (and maybe even makes you some money), or if you blog as part of your job (like I do) then you cannot ignore this book. Highly rec
Alan
This book provides a decent outline of the traditional characteristics of a successful blog. The author was very straightforward by stating that professional blogging is NOT an overnight endeavor. Professional blogging takes a long term commitment in order to become successful. It was a book filled with useful tips, however there wasn't anything contained within the book that was truly monumental. However, it was a useful guide for any blogger that is interested in advancing their blog.
Michael
Great book from a great blogger. Darren Rowse takes you through the in's and out's of starting a blog and how to make it successful. Will it guarantee you a bunch of money or fame, no, but it will make you a better blogger.

I think it is required reading for anyone with a blog, it certainly would make the internet a better place. Just imagine...well thought out, useful, semi-frequent posts. I like that idea.

A quick read and even a little entertaining.

Enjoy.
Samantha
I've been disappointed with some of the books I've read about blogging lately; however, I had trouble putting this one down. Perhaps I found a book with ideas that are consistent with my mindset. Success as a blogger to me means writing well and creating something that's useful. As with anything else, successful blogging can take a lot of hard work and time. This book shows bloggers different strategies for getting off to a good start and continuing success over time.
Joseph
this is a very practical book

talks about (1) setting up a blog via wordpress (2) content rules (3) some points on monetizing the blog (like SEO, Amazon associate, direct advertisement etc)

If you are interested in setting up a blog, then create a dummy blog as you read through the book. that way, you can capture the points more clearly

i am a blog dummy but managed to create a decent looking ( i hope) blog @ www.dimpledbrain.com (pls visit and support!)
Derek
Talk to anyone that has been involved with a blog and they will recognize the name Darren Rowse. When he released this book along with Authority Blogger extraordinaire, Chris Garrett, it was a no-brainer read for me--and should be for anyone interested in blogging.

Darren and Chris walk you through the key areas that you need to focus on as a blogger, and dive into the details appropriately enough that even seasoned bloggers can pick up helpful tips.
Patrick Riddle
Jun 09, 2008 Patrick Riddle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bloggers who want to make money doing it.
ProBlogger is one of my favorite blogs. Their book is a great addition to my stock of blog knowledge. I have been researching blogging for 8 months now and this book filled in some holes.

One of the sections that appealed to me most was their suggestions on writing content. They gave me some excellent ideas for titling and structuring posts. There is also a long list of types of posts to write to keep your audience engaged.

Vashti Braha
The title is a bit misleading but the content is thorough, so it's useful for a range of people. The authors – two established, very experienced professional bloggers – share everything they've learned. I'm left with a clear understanding of what worked and didn't, and even more interesting for me, how their various blogs evolved organically, and the unique factors that influenced the directions they've taken.
  • Social Media 101: Tactics and Tips to Develop Your Business Online
  • Blog, Inc.: Blogging for Passion, Profit, and to Create Community
  • Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day
  • Twitter Power: How to Dominate Your Market One Tweet at a Time
  • Likeable Social Media: How to Delight Your Customers, Create an Irresistible Brand, and Be Generally Amazing on Facebook (and Other Social Networks)
  • The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
  • The New Community Rules: Marketing on the Social Web
  • The Social Media Bible: Tactics, Tools, and Strategies for Business Success
  • The Huffington Post Complete Guide to Blogging
  • Say Everything: How Blogging Began, What It's Becoming, and Why It Matters
  • Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking
  • Blogging for Dummies
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • Marketing in the Age of Google: Your Online Strategy Is Your Business Strategy
  • Clout: The Art and Science of Influential Web Content
  • Optimize: How to Attract and Engage More Customers by Integrating SEO, Social Media, and Content Marketing