Start by marking “Hand In Glove” as Want to Read:
Hand In Glove

Hand In Glove (Roderick Alleyn #22)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,200 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Who had a hand in the murder of a country gent?

All manner of friction fills the English country house shared by genteel retiree Percival Pyke Period and fuddy-duddy lawyer Harry Cartell. Until one of them, after a flamboyant dowager's treasure hunt party, is found murdered-face down in the mire of an open drain. Which of Superintendent Roderick Alleyn's suspects-linked by
Published April 15th 1999 by St. Martin's Dead Letter (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Hand In Glove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hand In Glove

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee WilliamsSmilla's Sense of Snow by Peter HøegHand In Glove by Ngaio MarshA Delicate Balance by Edward AlbeeIn the Skin of a Lion by Michael Ondaatje
Touch
3rd out of 96 books — 6 voters
Macbeth by William ShakespeareThe Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha ChristieJulius Caesar by William ShakespeareThe Guns of Navarone by Alistair MacLeanThe Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
Guns and Knives
143rd out of 186 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Kel
I thought the butler did it. He didn't.
Susan Siow
Another good read by Ngaio Marsh.
Rob Smith
This is my first excursion into Marsh territory. As I've been reading more British mysteries, I was wanting to read a tale of Alleyn.

I liked the characterization as written. The effort is melodramatic and should have been edited. Considering how long it takes for the reader to get to the core of the mystery, alot of is tread over and over with little sustenance. Especially considering how the story ends.

The setting descriptions seemed very lacking. Again considering how the mystery eventually un
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in February 1999.

This is another Marsh novel which is very much in the rather unfortunate shadow of Agatha Christie. The cast of characters, upper class, Home Counties village dwellers, could come out of a number of Christie's novels, and there is not much of Marsh's personality in this book.

The plot itself is not particularly interesting; Mr Harold Carteret's dead body is found under a large, heavy pipe in a ditch being dug by workmen, following a party held
Lillian Carl
This is another Inspector Alleyn mystery, more or less set in a country house, with a cast
of over-the-top society characters. Published in 1962, it's set in the 50s. However, except
for one or two internal references, the story could just as well be set in the 20s. It's a
competent mystery but didn't engage me, not least because one of Marsh's writing tics---using the verb "ejaculate" instead of "exclaim" or the equivalent, over and over again---got to be very annoying very soon.
DH Hanni
Not my favorite one of her books that I've read so far. Roderick Alleyn didn't even enter the story until around page 100. The ending was too rushed and I'm confused as to how the killer could have physically committed the crime. The killer's motivation wasn't too clear to me, either. Also, it was really difficult for me to get into but once I did it was a quick read.
Surreysmum
Jillian
Ngaio Marsh is an incorrigible snob, and not even remotely shy about it. This story could have been written about any time in the early 20th century, the only thing that gave its real age away was a tiny reference to the "telly". I honestly had no clear idea of where it was going or why, even right up until the very end. She certainly writes a good mystery!
Fiona
Comforting, reasonably well-executed, but ultimately pretty forgettable. This book dated delightfully, and I'm not just talking about the overuse of the word 'ejaculate'. I'll probably look up some more Ngaio Marsh, but not when I want to think very hard.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
J'avoue que j'ai été très déçue par ce livre. L'écriture de Ngaio Marsh est toujours aussi agréable mais l'histoire en elle-même, ainsi que son déroulement, sont sans grand intérêt. Il faut attendre la moitié du livre pour qu'enfin il se passe quelque chose et je dois dire qu'arrivée à ce stade-là de ma lecture, je n'étais plus intéressée. Ce livre m'a fait penser à Agatha Christie dans ses mauvais jours. La campagne anglaise, de nombreux personnages divers et variés mais au final rien de bien e ...more
Grace
This reads like a lesser Agatha Christie - mainly enjoyable for me for the small insights into upper-class New Zealand society.
Kevin Shoop
A typical Ngaio Marsh novel: good (not great) mystery and plot, great writing, hilarious characters. If only Marsh and Christie collaborated....
Katie Hilton
A good Inspector Alleyn mystery, where Alleyn deals with misbehaving dogs, along with a bevy of potential murderers. As always, he sorts it all out with clarity and a bit of humor.
Nancy Wilson
This was just fun--a bitch boxer in heat and being pursued by a randy Pekingese (yuck)--an eccentric wanna be aristocrat, kanoodling servants--and a dead guy in the ditch! My only criticism of Marsh is that she tends to have people fall madly in love at first sight--I find that not only unreal but a bit tedious!
Stephanie
There we go! One fun aspect of being on Goodreads with people who are actually my friends in real life is that occasionally we discuss what we are reading. One real-life friend saw my previous reviews of Ngaio Marsh books, read that I very much liked her as an author, and lent me this book, which I hadn't yet read, and very much enjoyed. Thank you! This book was more to my liking -- later Marsh, rather than earlier -- and had a denouement that, while unexpected, in hindsight was admirably foresh ...more
Joan
It's worth getting past the confusing beginning.
Helen
This book was somewhat spoilt for me by the reader - I 'read' it via audio book - mispronouncing Alleyn's name from story start to finish. No unusually, the actual solution to the mystery was a letdown, and the young lovers here were far less charismatic than most - neither were really suspects in the murder, and there was therefore no tension in their relationship. Marsh both sends up snobbery and indulges in it herself. One of her less memorable books.
Aperna Deb
This was one of the whodunits where a murder doesn’t take place till half of the book. Normally, I give up. But Marsh’s writing is endearing and charming enough to make me go on. Also, it’s harder to guess who is going to die, than to guess who killed that person. In this case, the latter was surprising, but the reasons were too tenuous making the book a bit of a bore. I also am not a big fan of forced romance in a mystery.
Mark Stephenson
Of the six Marsh mysteries I've read so far this is my favorite! It's as much a romance as a murder mystery and shows Inspector Alleyn and his wife Troy as the splendidly capable and warmly enjoyable couple they were intended by the author to be. Nicola Maitland-Mayne and Andrew Bantling, the young lovers, wonderfully contrasted with less savory characters, moved me. Marsh's genius for black comedy is a delight.
Tara
Another good one.

All her books are great. Good plots and entertaining characters. Nice when Agatha Troy is in the story as well.
Martha
The dialogue is great here - sort of P. G. Wodehouse set 20 or 30 years later. The slang is clever (and decipherable) but I didn't need to use a dictionary a few times to look up some real $10 words.

The story is, well, mediocre, and the mystery is lame. But most of the characters are just fab.
Lesley
O dear another obsessive spinster (this time it's her adopted daughter who is the object, this reads like one of the awful warnings cited in Holden's The Shadow of Marriage about post-war attitudes to single women adopting), and one of her campy snobbish aesthetes.
P.D.R. Lindsay
I am enjoying my jaunt through Ngaio Marsh's novels again. I'd forgotten this one set in the 1960s.

A thoroughly nasty murder, a lot of red herrings and the usual collection of memorable characters.

Another good read.
Gail
The relationships between the step-relatives and ex-spouses was a little confusing, but it was fun to find a Ngaio Marsh mystery that I hadn't read or least don't remember reading.
Jessie
3.5. I love to cozy up with one of hers on the fall...I had forgotten the killer's ID in this one, so it was time to re-read. She sets a scene very well.
Verity W
I didn't adore this, but I still liked a lot about it. A tricky mystery with lots of false leads and misdirection. Roderick Alleyn is so much fun.
Andrea
A solid, well-built mystery. Marsh has a knack of making me feel sorry for her murderers, even if they're not necessarily very likeable people.
Sucharita
This was also a repeat read. Neat, clean and wholesome reading. Romance and suspense. Good English. A pleasure to read.
Kyrie
I don't even remember this story. I must have read it, but wow I can't remember anything about it.
Sharon Derlan
Perfect specimen of the genre. A murder, many suspects and a young couple falling in love.
  • The Case of the Late Pig (Albert Campion Mystery #8)
  • Miss Silver Comes to Stay (Miss Silver, #16)
  • A Blunt Instrument (Inspector Hannasyde, #4)
  • The Singing Sands (Inspector Alan Grant, #6)
  • Love Lies Bleeding (Gervase Fen, #5)
  • In the Teeth of the Evidence (Lord Peter Wimsey, #14)
  • Detection Unlimited (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #4)
Dame Ngaio Marsh, born Edith Ngaio Marsh, was a New Zealand crime writer and theatre director. There is some uncertainty over her birth date as her father neglected to register her birth until 1900, but she was born in the city of Christchurch, New Zealand.

Of all the "Great Ladies" of the English mystery's golden age, including Margery Allingham, Agatha Christie, and Dorothy L. Sayers, Ngaio Marsh
More about Ngaio Marsh...

Roderick Alleyn (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • A Man Lay Dead (Roderick Alleyn, #1)
  • Enter a Murderer (Roderick Alleyn, #2)
  • The Nursing Home Murder (Roderick Alleyn, #3)
  • Death in Ecstasy (Roderick Alleyn, #4)
  • Vintage Murder (Roderick Alleyn, #5)
  • Artists in Crime (Roderick Alleyn, #6)
  • Death in a White Tie (Roderick Alleyn, #7)
  • Overture to Death (Roderick Alleyn, #8)
  • Death at the Bar (Roderick Alleyn, #9)
  • Death of a Peer (Roderick Alleyn, #10)
A Man Lay Dead (Roderick Alleyn, #1) Death in a White Tie (Roderick Alleyn, #7) Death of a Peer (Roderick Alleyn, #10) Artists in Crime (Roderick Alleyn, #6) Clutch of Constables (Roderick Alleyn, #25)