Start by marking “Max's ABC” as Want to Read:
Max's ABC

Max's ABC (Max and Ruby)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  48 reviews

Learn the alphabet Max and Ruby style!

Everybody's favorite bunnies, Max and Ruby, are back, starring in their very own ABC concept book. Max's ants have escaped from their farm, and now they're searching for food. The ants start with Max's sandwich, and soon they're everywhere! Fortunately, Ruby comes to the rescue. Max's ABC teaches the alphabet by featuring a different

Published May 15th 2010 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published May 4th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Max's ABC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Max's ABC

Amaal
Title: Max’s ABC
Author: Rosemary Wells
Date of Publication: 2006
Genre: Fiction/Picture Book
Annotations: This book the rabbits, Max and his sister Ruby, have a problem with ants. The story tells how they solve the problem highlighting the words beginning with each letter of the alphabet from A-Z throughout the tale.

This is a good book to expose children to the alphabet and new words, or at least words they recognize that begin with letters of the alphabet. It’s a very easy read with a letter of t
Jasmyn H
Wells, R. (2006). Max's ABC. New York: Penguin Group.

Horn Book Magazine Review

Alphabet

In this book, Max's ants escape from their ant farm and he and Ruby do everything they can think of to catch the ants and put them back into the farm. I liked this book because it was an alphabet book that had a story line. Instead of just one word to represent each letter of the alphabet, each letter had a couple of sentences with one or more words that started with particular letter and those words were high
I chose to read this book because I recognized the author's name. I really enjoyed and appreciated the well-developed storyline.

The downside for me is it might be a better bedtime story for a more intimate setting with a parent and a child, rather than for a school setting because if the alphabet is being taught, it's not very obvious which letter is being introduced without looking at the pages. And typically, stories read in class are not with large enough text for ALL the children to see. It
Rosa Cline
This is a fun way of mixing and highlighting the alphabet into a simple story with Max and Ruby two bunnies. Max (as always) is into mischief and his sister is right along with him trying to get him out of trouble. Ms Wells takes a line per page and incorporates the alphabet into telling a very simple story of Max and his ants. This story doesn't make Max as naughty as some of them do and it doesn't make Ruby as bossy as some of the others either.
Karina Arroyo
I thought that the book was an okay book. The book utilized the alphabet to tell a story about how some ants continually bothered Max. I found it fun and interesting how the author managed to create a story using the alphabet letters in the correct order. I’m not sure if i would recommend this book for children who are trying to learn the alphabet as this book seems to be at a higher level. However, i would recommend this book for parents or teachers who are trying to teach the alphabet to child ...more
Karen
I'm not a big fan of Rosemary Wells, so I winced a little when my son picked out this book from the library the other day, and then to read last night, but it was better than I thought it would be. It made him giggle in a few places, so that's a good thing.
Vivian
The trouble starts when Max's ANTS escape from their ANT farm (looking for Max's birthday cake, of course!) The action marches through the ALPHABET quite ingeniously. I mean, how many Alphabet Books actually have a story line?

Jessi G
Rosemary Well's "Max's ABC" is a fun book that captures the reader's imagination through creatively depicting the ABC's. Wells skillfully transitions from one "letter" to the next, stringing them together into a storyline with two rabbits: Max and Ruby. Their adventures with ants are taken to the ABC level and Well integrates the "letter of the page" with the storyline. Each "letter of the page" is colorfully printed in the upper corner of the page; in addition, each letter (within the storyline ...more
Nicole
What I liked about this book was how it told a story by using the alphabet. Max's ants escaped from their ant farm and went crawling up Max's pants because he spilt juice on his pants. We then learn about the journey he went on to get the ants out of his pants. I think the story is really silly so children would definitely think it was cute and funny especially since it used a familiar character they all know. One thing I didn't like was how the alphabet wasn't at all stressed. The letters were ...more
Mackenzie Wilson
For one of my primary book's, I chose to read Max's ABC's! This book is about a bunny rabbit whose name is Max, and his adventure through things that follow the alphebet. First he encounters ants, because it starts with an A, then the ants bite him, because it starts with a B. This continues throughout the entire book, until you reach Z at the end of the alphabet. I would recommend this book for a class of preschoolers or kindergardeners who are trying to become more familiar with the alphabet.
Terry Gonzalez
This book teaches the alphabet through a fun story about Max, Ruby, and some unwanted ants. The story is cute and the illustrations are bold. Each page has a big letter and throughout the text, the letter is in bold, helping children identify them. The illustrations are colorful and are centered in a square border in the middle of each page, but some link to each other. This book should be read to students in kindergarten and first grade to help enforce the alphabet in a lively manner.
Renee
Summary: Max is in trouble. The Ants are taking Bites of his sandwich and drinking his Cranberry juice. Children will enjoy learning the alphabet with Max and Ruby in this charming concept book.

The story line seems a little contrived just to make sure all of the letters of the alphabet are incorporated in order. Would be okay to use with story time but not my first choice.

Could sing with the Ants Go Marching.

Themes: ABCs, ants
Annie
One of the coolest alphabet books ever - it doesn't struggle to fit in those difficult letters, and each letter is seamlessly made into part of the story.
Max's Ants escaped from their Ant farm. They went looking for Max's birthday cake.
Up Max's patns they climbed. B ite Bite Bite went the ants on the Birthday cake.
Sung Baick
I personally don't like lengthy ABC books because the really young kids are the ones who are supposed to be learning their ABC's. If the books are too long, they may not enjoy it or read through the whole thing. It is quite lengthy but I do like how the book emphasizes the letters on each page. It'll still be nice to include it in the classroom for kindergarten.
Amy
Sometimes I get really worried with ABC books, because what are they going to do with the awkward letters at the end? And usually I just feel like they do awkward things with them. The format of this book lent itself better to those end letters, which was nice, but the flow of the book seemed a little off to me. I think it could have had a better rhythm.
jacky
A subtle alphabet book. The words are blended into the story with the focus letter bolded at the start of the words. It stands alone as a Max and Ruby story featuring things you see in many of their stories, such as ants and jam. I found the ants the most entertaining part, especially when they kicked their feet in the bath and turned purple and pink.
Rosa
It's Max's Birthday and his ants have escaped from their farm. They start with the cake and continue to snack and make Max crazy. Eventually Ruby comes to his rescue. Each page features a different letter of the alphabet and I think this is a fun alphabet book. I like that a happy ending is worked out for all parties (including the ants).
Cornelius
Every page of the book has a huge colorful letter of the alphabet with the words on the page in bold that start with that letter of the alphabet starting with A-Z. As a result, for kindergarten children, I would use this book in the classroom to help children identify words that starts with the letters of the alphabet.
Kirsten
This is always a favorite. Rosemary Wells' illustrations are hilarious, and while sometimes the associations between the letters and the text are a little tenuous, the story is a lot of fun and it really keeps the kids engaged. It always gets adult caregivers giggling, too.
Carly Gates
I like this book because it isn't just an ABC book. There is an actual story with the ABCs embedded it in it. Many of the children can connect, because the characters are from the popular cartoon, Max & Ruby. They'll enjoy give Max 'advice' on how to get the ants off of him.
Endya Melvin
“Max’s ABC” tells the story of how ants escaped from an ant farm using different letters of the alphabet. This book can be used to teach early learners the different letters of the alphabet and how different letters are formed to make words.
Holly Letson
Learn your ABC's while having an adventure with Max, Ruby, and some ants.
----------------------
Read online @ http://www.wegivebooks.org/books/maxs...
Remember that reading books online @ We Give Books earns books for local schools.
Serena
A cute book with the beloved Max character by Rosemary Wells. Max gets into all sorts of accidents on his way through the alphabet. Young students will love this book-great pictures, cute characters, and reinforcement of the alphabet!
Alexandra Chauran
I especially liked this one because it had a story arc for the entire alphabet with highlighted and capitalized examples of each letter. Unique compared to most alphabet books that are some author's random stream of consciousness.
Becky
This is an alphabet book? Did not like it at all. Very confusing for the boys to follow. A story that has capitalized letters in order of ABC, but makes no sense as far as letter ID or phonics learning...
Tricia
ABC book that reads like a story. Each sentence includes highlighted examples of the letter being featured. Max and Ruby draw interest of children who may be reluctant to otherwise read an ABC book.
Stephanie
I read this book for www.wegivebooks.com, an organization driven toward the promotion of children's literacy. For every ebook that is read on the website, a physical book is donated to a child.
Kristin Fletcher-spear
charlie's final prize for the summer reading program.

I love rosemary wells and max and ruby! Fun artwork, good incorporation of the abc--the emphasized words made me take notice them more.
Suzanne
Sep 17, 2007 Suzanne rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Eh
Shelves: picture-books
Even if it is Rosemary Wells, Max's ABC is a horrible read aloud, and it is kinda gross too. My daughter was like "Mommy! Why are there ants crawling all over Max?"
Rebekah
I do like Max and Ruby stories and this seems to just happen to have the corresponding letter of the alphabet on each page. But Ants! Eeew.
  • Ten Red Apples
  • Apple Pie ABC
  • Goodnight Moon 123: A Counting Book
  • Go to Bed, Monster!
  • I'm Not Reading!

Rosemary Wells is the author of a number of popular children's books, most notably the Max and Ruby series which follows the everyday adventures of sibling bunnies - curious three year old Max and bossy seven year old Ruby. She gets the inspiration for Max and Ruby from her two daughters and the experiences they
More about Rosemary Wells...

Max and Ruby (1 - 10 of 67 books)
  • Bunny Cakes
  • Max's Dragon Shirt
  • A Merry Bunny Christmas
  • Max's Bunny Business
  • Goodnight Max
Bunny Cakes Noisy Nora Yoko On the Blue Comet Mary On Horseback: Three Mountain Stories