Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Only Good Dalek” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Only Good Dalek

Doctor Who: The Only Good Dalek

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  353 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Station 7 is where the Earth Forces send all the equipment captured in their unceasing war against the Daleks. It's where Dalek technology is analyzed and examined. It's where the Doctor and Amy have just arrived. But somehow the Daleks have found out about Station 7 - and there's something there that they want back With the Doctor increasingly worried about the direction ...more
Published September 16th 2010 by BBC Books (first published September 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Doctor Who by Brian MinchinDoctor Who by Justin RichardsDoctor Who by Gary RussellDoctor Who by Oli SmithDoctor Who by Mark Morris
Doctor Who ultimate list
2nd out of 240 books — 18 voters
Doctor Who by Jacqueline RaynerDoctor Who by Gareth RobertsDoctor Who by Trevor BaxendaleDoctor Who by Gareth RobertsDoctor Who by Paul Cornell
Best Doctor Who Books
146th out of 213 books — 184 voters

More lists with this book...

Emma Giordano
Jan 05, 2015 Emma Giordano rated it really liked it
First graphic novel I've ever read recreationally, it was pretty good! I could totally see this as an episode of Doctor Who :)
Frank
Apr 22, 2014 Frank rated it it was ok
There's an art to writing graphic novels/comics. Unfortunately, this feels more like prose forced into the format. At times the pacing between the words and pictures is off, like a badly dubbed movie. I got lost in more than one scene transition.

As for the more important DW aspect, I don't think this adds much to the universe. Actually, there's not enough Doctor and definitely not enough of his distinct voice (or Amy's). It's an interesting Dalek story, but I'm not sure it's a necessary one. (Th
Tatiana
Jul 15, 2011 Tatiana rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, media-tie-in
Not only was this my first Doctor Who graphic novel but also my first graphic novel ever. The art was well-done, vivid and alive, and the characters in good likeness of the Doctor and Amy, as portrayed by Matt Smith and Karen Gillan. The story was classic DW, raising the question: Can something/someone thoroughly evil change? Where the Daleks are concerned, the Doctor will always be dubious. I could see the plot adapted for an episode of the show. It was open-ended, so there’s room for a sequel. ...more
Garrett
Jan 17, 2016 Garrett rated it liked it
Any time we get Amy w/o Rory it leads me to try and figure out if it's meant to be early (this isn't) in hers and the Doctor's companionship, or if this is one of the times Rory is dead for awhile. Either way, the tone's a little weird, and the story is straightforward to a fault, aping earlier Two and Nine tales with Daleks and their experimentations and strange motivations. The art's vague where you wouldn't want it to be (what does this monster LOOK like, though) and the reveal is telegraphed ...more
Adam Graham
Dec 30, 2015 Adam Graham rated it it was ok
The Doctor and Amy Pond find themselves on a planet in the midst of a war between the Daleks and humans.

Overall, this story was disappointing. There was some good moments, but the story felt belabored and like there really wasn't enough story for a 128 page graphic novel, and there's also just not enough of a sense of the Doctor and his companion.

I also kind of question who the audience for this is. It's a New Who story with the "Power Ranger" Daleks introduced in "Victory of the Daleks," howev
Mel
My sister bought me this for Christmas and it was perfect sitting around reading on Christmas day. The story wa set in the far future when an earth civilisation and the (new) daleks were at war. What I liked about it was not an episode where the daleks had a plan to destroy the earth/humans/universe and got twarted by the doctor, rather it was just an episode in a greater story we didn't hear the begining or end of. Humans had, rather evilly, been carrying out experiments on daleks, either to co ...more
Miles
Oct 17, 2010 Miles rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
With a slight change of pace from the usual crime fiction and horror-thriller reviews, actually not slight at all, this is a huge change of pace and style – I set about reading and gorging over “Doctor Who: The Only Good Dalek”, a sumptuous and beautiful graphic novel from Mike Collins (Artist) and Justin Richards (Author).

A little background on the men behind this project; Mike Collins is the main artist behind the highly successful Doctor Who Magazine comic strip stories. Collins has illustrat
Marcus Gipps
Oct 10, 2010 Marcus Gipps rated it really liked it
I've been enjoying the graphic novel collections of Doctor Who comics from the monthly magazine, and have read a few of the American monthly issues, but this is the first full-length GN that I've read (possibly the first that's been done, I think). It works quite well, to be honest - the storytelling is a little more decompressed, which isn't always a good thing but works well here. There's more chance to build up some tension, and not having to recap the plot every eight-to-ten pages makes the ...more
Amy
Jul 04, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
I'm a die-hard Whovian, and I enjoyed this book. It was my first foray into graphic novels, so I went with something I know - Doctor Who.
The plot was fairly predictable if you follow the show at all, but it was fun and the graphics were phenomenal. I kept admiring the art work over the story at times.
Overall, an enjoyable read and I couldn't help hearing the Doctor and Amy's actual voices during their dialogue. :-)
Christopher
Feb 12, 2016 Christopher rated it it was amazing
Is there such a thing as a good Dalek? A question that has been asked since the earliest days of the metal meanies. The Doctor and Amy arrive on a Space Security Service outpost where scientists are trying to find out.
A very enjoyable tale with fantastic art, and it's always great to see the return of classic elements like the SSS.
Wilde Sky
Jun 02, 2014 Wilde Sky rated it it was ok
The Doctor ends up on a research centre dedicated to understanding the Dalek’s technology.

I found this book disappointing. The narrative / scenes sometimes confused me with the speech bubbles being oddly formatted and out of sync with graphics. Also I felt the story was jumpy with too many different ideas shoehorned into the tale.
Michael
One of the problems with the current line of "Doctor Who" fiction is that it can't really take too many chances with stories for fear of being contradicted by the television series.

So, what we end up getting are a lot of stories that are enjoyable enough but don't actually do anything new or different with the universe or characters.

"Only Good Dalek" is an example of that. It's got an intriguing idea of what if someone decided to create a Dalek free of the hatred that drives it. Would it then b
Mikael Kuoppala
Jan 24, 2014 Mikael Kuoppala rated it liked it
A typically pleasant but a bit underwhelming effort from overly prolific Whio scribe Justin Richards, "The Only Good Dalek" takes place during the fifth season of new Doctor Who when the doctor and Amy were traveling alone.

The plot takes us in the middle of an all-out war between humanity and the Daleks, to a research station where Dalek technology is being analyzed for defensive purposes. Historical war allegories ensue, and the Doctor is faced with questions about what is considered "evil," an
Ana
Jul 14, 2014 Ana rated it liked it
amazing illustrations but couldn't quite get my head round the plot
Trinity
Muddled storytelling.
Paul McNamee
Oct 08, 2011 Paul McNamee rated it really liked it
First BBC produced 'Doctor Who' comic graphic novel.

No new territory but a good Dalek tale, ironically using the "new paradigm" visuals while telling a tale of the classic Dalek Empire, mostly from the Hartnell era. (or, so it seemed with mentions Sara Kingdom, inclusions of slithers, a bits of classic Skaro.)

These are Daleks of old, setting plans with plans and traps within traps. You would probably get a headache trying to fit it into Who continuity, but as a stand alone romp, it delivers fair
Sarah Stobie
Mar 06, 2016 Sarah Stobie rated it really liked it
An overall good graphic novel. Everytime I read any doctor who novel the wording is perfect I can hear the voices in my head!
Gabriel Wallis
Jul 19, 2013 Gabriel Wallis rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
To tell you the truth, "Doctor Who: The Only Good Dalek" was just an okay story. Of course, I'm going to like anything Doctor Who, but it was the illustrations that got me the most. I didn't particularly like the illustrator's artistic style. To me, it looked like the illustrator was in a hurry to draw the graphic novel. There didn't seem to be any care in the illustrations. The story? Entertaining. Nothing beats a good Doctor Who/Dalek story.
Daniel Kukwa
May 30, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it
A really solid story -- it would make a great two-part Dalek epic on television. Plenty of continuity fanwank for us older fanboys, and plenty of heart-pounding old fashioned "Aliens"-style military shennanigans for the general audience. The artwork is very interesting...shades of Dave Gibbons' old school "Doctor Who Magazine" strips, with rather dramatic, finely-drawn close ups. Much better than I thought it would be...
Craig
Dec 21, 2012 Craig rated it it was ok
A semi decent story about removing hate from the Daleks. There was a major flaw in the writing as Amy and Jay are tricked into thinking that one of the converted Daleks is helping them when actually it is leading the other Daleks to where the Doctor is. Strange, as one of the people with the Doctor is a Dalek spy and has been transmitting everything to the Daleks. Kind of a big plot point to overlook.
Rachel Thomas
Mar 09, 2015 Rachel Thomas rated it it was amazing
there's a little confusion but overall really good
Jan 02, 2015 Laura rated it it was ok
A rather generic Doctor Who story that's a bit light on the Doctor. It was okay, but nothing to write home about.
John Parungao
Jun 24, 2011 John Parungao rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-dr-who
Loved this book! I love Justin Richards' DOCTOR WHO novels. Glad he got to write this graphic novel. It has a good mix of the various Dalek characters. Love that the Space Special Security characters that were included. Also enjoyed having the ogrons, varga plants and robomen. It was nice having classic elements mixed with The Eleventh Doctor and Amy.
Tricia
May 26, 2013 Tricia rated it really liked it
Turns out that the crazy Doctor Who plots are even harder to understand when not in TV show form. This was enjoyable, since I've seen the show and understand the feel of the characters, but I'm sure it would make very little sense to anyone who hasn't seen these 2 characters acted out.
Joshua
Dec 05, 2013 Joshua rated it liked it
The story was a good one for the Doctor Who universe. Action never stopped nor the hope that maybe the Daleks could finally be changed for the better. But alas as soon as you think humans might have a chance to change them ... nope. Oh well. Still worth the read though definately.
Callie Rose Tyler
Dec 14, 2012 Callie Rose Tyler rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, doctor-who
I found this enjoyable but rushed. There wasn’t a whole lot of characterization of Amy or the Doctor, no real emotion to the story. The Doctor and Amy both lacked in personality. The ending was well done, I just wish the entire story had that same feeling and reflection.
Andy
Aug 21, 2012 Andy rated it really liked it
Can human sceintists genetically modify a Dalek to remove hate and violence, and use it to change the Dalek race? Will this be "The Only Good Dalek"? Or is the only good Dalek a dead Dalek?

A well formed plot line and great drawing makes this a graphic novel to enjoy.
Jana
May 16, 2016 Jana rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
For the most part a wonderful graphic novel - great art and exciting storyline. I do wish Amy had had more importance and a bigger role, therefore only 4 instead of 5 stars.
Amanda
Oct 23, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
A perfectly adequate Dalek comic. Somewhere about halfway through, I suddenly began to hope for an Abslom Daak cameo because that's the kind of old school Whovian I am. ;-)
  • Doctor Who Volume 1: Fugitive
  • Doctor Who: The Hounds of Artemis
  • Doctor Who: Autonomy
  • Doctor Who: Pest Control
  • Doctor Who: Nuclear Time
Justin Richards is a British writer. He has written many spin off novels based on the BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who, and he is Creative Director for the BBC Books range. He has also written for television, contributing to Five's soap opera Family Affairs. He is also the author of a series of crime novels for children about the Invisible Detective, and novels for older children. ...more
More about Justin Richards...