Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Only Good Dalek” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Only Good Dalek

Doctor Who: The Only Good Dalek

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  316 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Station 7 is where the Earth Forces send all the equipment captured in their unceasing war against the Daleks. It's where Dalek technology is analyzed and examined. It's where the Doctor and Amy have just arrived. But somehow the Daleks have found out about Station 7 - and there's something there that they want back With the Doctor increasingly worried about the direction ...more
Published September 16th 2010 by BBC Books (first published September 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Doctor Who by Justin RichardsDoctor Who by Gary RussellDoctor Who by Brian MinchinDoctor Who by Oli SmithDoctor Who by Mark Morris
Doctor Who ultimate list
1st out of 221 books — 16 voters
Doctor Who by Jacqueline RaynerDoctor Who by Gareth RobertsDoctor Who by Trevor BaxendaleHuman Nature by Paul CornellDoctor Who by Gareth Roberts
Best Doctor Who Books
137th out of 201 books — 162 voters

More lists with this book...

Emma Giordano
First graphic novel I've ever read recreationally, it was pretty good! I could totally see this as an episode of Doctor Who :)
Frank
There's an art to writing graphic novels/comics. Unfortunately, this feels more like prose forced into the format. At times the pacing between the words and pictures is off, like a badly dubbed movie. I got lost in more than one scene transition.

As for the more important DW aspect, I don't think this adds much to the universe. Actually, there's not enough Doctor and definitely not enough of his distinct voice (or Amy's). It's an interesting Dalek story, but I'm not sure it's a necessary one. (Th
Mikael Kuoppala
A typically pleasant but a bit underwhelming effort from overly prolific Whio scribe Justin Richards, "The Only Good Dalek" takes place during the fifth season of new Doctor Who when the doctor and Amy were traveling alone.

The plot takes us in the middle of an all-out war between humanity and the Daleks, to a research station where Dalek technology is being analyzed for defensive purposes. Historical war allegories ensue, and the Doctor is faced with questions about what is considered "evil," an
Tatiana
Not only was this my first Doctor Who graphic novel but also my first graphic novel ever. The art was well-done, vivid and alive, and the characters in good likeness of the Doctor and Amy, as portrayed by Matt Smith and Karen Gillan. The story was classic DW, raising the question: Can something/someone thoroughly evil change? Where the Daleks are concerned, the Doctor will always be dubious. I could see the plot adapted for an episode of the show. It was open-ended, so there’s room for a sequel. ...more
Mel
My sister bought me this for Christmas and it was perfect sitting around reading on Christmas day. The story wa set in the far future when an earth civilisation and the (new) daleks were at war. What I liked about it was not an episode where the daleks had a plan to destroy the earth/humans/universe and got twarted by the doctor, rather it was just an episode in a greater story we didn't hear the begining or end of. Humans had, rather evilly, been carrying out experiments on daleks, either to co ...more
Miles
With a slight change of pace from the usual crime fiction and horror-thriller reviews, actually not slight at all, this is a huge change of pace and style – I set about reading and gorging over “Doctor Who: The Only Good Dalek”, a sumptuous and beautiful graphic novel from Mike Collins (Artist) and Justin Richards (Author).

A little background on the men behind this project; Mike Collins is the main artist behind the highly successful Doctor Who Magazine comic strip stories. Collins has illustrat
Marcus Gipps
I've been enjoying the graphic novel collections of Doctor Who comics from the monthly magazine, and have read a few of the American monthly issues, but this is the first full-length GN that I've read (possibly the first that's been done, I think). It works quite well, to be honest - the storytelling is a little more decompressed, which isn't always a good thing but works well here. There's more chance to build up some tension, and not having to recap the plot every eight-to-ten pages makes the ...more
Amy
I'm a die-hard Whovian, and I enjoyed this book. It was my first foray into graphic novels, so I went with something I know - Doctor Who.
The plot was fairly predictable if you follow the show at all, but it was fun and the graphics were phenomenal. I kept admiring the art work over the story at times.
Overall, an enjoyable read and I couldn't help hearing the Doctor and Amy's actual voices during their dialogue. :-)
Wilde Sky
The Doctor ends up on a research centre dedicated to understanding the Dalek’s technology.

I found this book disappointing. The narrative / scenes sometimes confused me with the speech bubbles being oddly formatted and out of sync with graphics. Also I felt the story was jumpy with too many different ideas shoehorned into the tale.
Michael
One of the problems with the current line of "Doctor Who" fiction is that it can't really take too many chances with stories for fear of being contradicted by the television series.

So, what we end up getting are a lot of stories that are enjoyable enough but don't actually do anything new or different with the universe or characters.

"Only Good Dalek" is an example of that. It's got an intriguing idea of what if someone decided to create a Dalek free of the hatred that drives it. Would it then b
Jana
For the most part a wonderful graphic novel - great art and exciting storyline. I do wish Amy had had more importance and a bigger role, therefore only 4 instead of 5 stars.
Ana
amazing illustrations but couldn't quite get my head round the plot
Paul McNamee
First BBC produced 'Doctor Who' comic graphic novel.

No new territory but a good Dalek tale, ironically using the "new paradigm" visuals while telling a tale of the classic Dalek Empire, mostly from the Hartnell era. (or, so it seemed with mentions Sara Kingdom, inclusions of slithers, a bits of classic Skaro.)

These are Daleks of old, setting plans with plans and traps within traps. You would probably get a headache trying to fit it into Who continuity, but as a stand alone romp, it delivers fair
Gabriel Wallis
To tell you the truth, "Doctor Who: The Only Good Dalek" was just an okay story. Of course, I'm going to like anything Doctor Who, but it was the illustrations that got me the most. I didn't particularly like the illustrator's artistic style. To me, it looked like the illustrator was in a hurry to draw the graphic novel. There didn't seem to be any care in the illustrations. The story? Entertaining. Nothing beats a good Doctor Who/Dalek story.
Daniel Kukwa
A really solid story -- it would make a great two-part Dalek epic on television. Plenty of continuity fanwank for us older fanboys, and plenty of heart-pounding old fashioned "Aliens"-style military shennanigans for the general audience. The artwork is very interesting...shades of Dave Gibbons' old school "Doctor Who Magazine" strips, with rather dramatic, finely-drawn close ups. Much better than I thought it would be...
Craig
A semi decent story about removing hate from the Daleks. There was a major flaw in the writing as Amy and Jay are tricked into thinking that one of the converted Daleks is helping them when actually it is leading the other Daleks to where the Doctor is. Strange, as one of the people with the Doctor is a Dalek spy and has been transmitting everything to the Daleks. Kind of a big plot point to overlook.
Rachel Thomas
there's a little confusion but overall really good
A rather generic Doctor Who story that's a bit light on the Doctor. It was okay, but nothing to write home about.
John Parungao
Loved this book! I love Justin Richards' DOCTOR WHO novels. Glad he got to write this graphic novel. It has a good mix of the various Dalek characters. Love that the Space Special Security characters that were included. Also enjoyed having the ogrons, varga plants and robomen. It was nice having classic elements mixed with The Eleventh Doctor and Amy.
Tricia
Turns out that the crazy Doctor Who plots are even harder to understand when not in TV show form. This was enjoyable, since I've seen the show and understand the feel of the characters, but I'm sure it would make very little sense to anyone who hasn't seen these 2 characters acted out.
Joshua
The story was a good one for the Doctor Who universe. Action never stopped nor the hope that maybe the Daleks could finally be changed for the better. But alas as soon as you think humans might have a chance to change them ... nope. Oh well. Still worth the read though definately.
Callie Rose Tyler
I found this enjoyable but rushed. There wasn’t a whole lot of characterization of Amy or the Doctor, no real emotion to the story. The Doctor and Amy both lacked in personality. The ending was well done, I just wish the entire story had that same feeling and reflection.
Andy
Can human sceintists genetically modify a Dalek to remove hate and violence, and use it to change the Dalek race? Will this be "The Only Good Dalek"? Or is the only good Dalek a dead Dalek?

A well formed plot line and great drawing makes this a graphic novel to enjoy.
Amanda
A perfectly adequate Dalek comic. Somewhere about halfway through, I suddenly began to hope for an Abslom Daak cameo because that's the kind of old school Whovian I am. ;-)
Mike McDevitt
Richards is consistently good. Art serves the story well.
If you're already sick of skittle daleks, this is good anyway.
Trust me... like you'd trust a Dalek.
Sara
It was a little confusing, but mainly entertaining and enjoyable. The art was a little rough for my liking, but some of it was very colorful like the various explosions.
Shannon Appelcline
A fair Doctor Who story, most delightful for its interweavings with a lot of classic Dalek motifs, from the Ogrons to the Dalek Masterplan itself.
Michelle Press
I am a huge fan of Doctor Who, so of course i love this comic book!!! it had a good flow to it. a lot of suspense and mystery. <3
  • Doctor Who: Through Time and Space
  • Doctor Who: Fugitive (Doctor Who Graphic Novels: The Tenth Doctor - Tony Lee Series, #1)
  • Doctor Who: Agent Provocateur
  • Doctor Who: Hunter's Moon
  • Doctor Who: Night of the Humans
  • Doctor Who: A Fairytale Life
  • Doctor Who: Nuclear Time
  • Doctor Who: Final Sacrifice (Doctor Who Graphic Novels: The Tenth Doctor - Tony Lee Series, #3)
  • Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll (BBC Audio)
  • Doctor Who: Borrowed Time
  • Doctor Who: The Hounds of Artemis
  • Doctor Who: Autonomy
Justin Richards is a British writer. He has written many spin off novels based on the BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who, and he is Creative Director for the BBC Books range. He has also written for television, contributing to Five's soap opera Family Affairs. He is also the author of a series of crime novels for children about the Invisible Detective, and novels for older children. ...more
More about Justin Richards...
Doctor Who: The Resurrection Casket The Clockwise Man (Doctor Who: New Series Adventure 1) Doctor Who: Apollo 23 The Angel's Kiss: A Melody Malone Mystery Doctor Who: The Deviant Strain