Start by marking “Testament of Friendship (Virago classic non-fiction)” as Want to Read:
Testament of Friendship (Virago classic non-fiction)

Testament of Friendship (The Virago Book)

The author traces her friendship with the author, Winifred Holtby, from their meeting at Oxford to Holtby's death at the age of thirty-seven.
Published September 3rd 1992 by Virago Press Ltd (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Testament of Friendship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Testament of Friendship

Graceann
Jul 15, 2009 Graceann rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Women, fans of good writing
Recommended to Graceann by: Jo Brand
Shelves: biography, memoir
Unfortunately, Winifred Holtby is not well remembered today, even in her home country. The woman who wrote this book, Vera Brittain, has scarcely fared better, despite outliving Holtby by more than thirty years. This is a shame, because they are both worth remembering for numerous reasons. I was deeply moved by Brittain's "Testament of Youth," but if possible, I loved "Testament of Friendship" even more.

Winifred Holtby was a novelist, journalist and human rights activist who was active in the y
Catie
Buddy read September 2016 w/ @bookmusings and @teresasimmons on IG
Anne
Oct 02, 2012 Anne rated it really liked it
I had to put Testament of Friendship down about ten pages from the end because I just couldn't bear it anymore. I was wracked with sobs--not just for Winifred Holtby, but for her mother (who outlived her whole family), for Vera Brittain (who saw everybody she loved die in the war, then her father and Winifred), for her long-time love Bill who never could get his act together until it was too late, and for everybody who knew her.

Because it's a biography of Winifred written by her best friend, an
Jonathan
Dec 23, 2016 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lives
A touching biography of one of my favourite writers, Winifred Holtby, by her great friend Vera Brittain. Brittain and Holtby met while studying at Somerville College, Oxford, and lived together for most of Winifred's short life, including after Vera married and had her two children.

Born and raised in Yorkshire, Winifred Holtby is now best known for her last novel, South Riding, but, apart from her other novels and short stories, was an accomplished journalist and poet. She was involved in the w
MadgeUK
Feb 09, 2010 MadgeUK rated it really liked it
This is the second of Vera Brittain's autobiographical trilogy and gives a loving account of her deep friendship with the Yorkshire born author, journalist and political activist, Winifred Holtby, whom she met at Oxford. Both of these women were pioneers in their day but sadly, are now largely forgotten.
Helen Billington
Mar 28, 2013 Helen Billington rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This is a marvellous book of its time, written in 1939 it is a biography of Yorkshire writer Winifred Holtby. I read Vera Brittain's other 'Testament' books whenI was a student in the 80s and had forgotten that I hadn't read this until it popped up as an Amazon suggested read.
Margaret
May 24, 2012 Margaret rated it it was amazing
Everyone should be lucky enough to have her best friend write her biography. This was a marvelous book.
Winter Sophia Rose
Oct 05, 2014 Winter Sophia Rose rated it it was amazing
Beautifully Poetic!
Helen Smith
Mar 14, 2013 Helen Smith rated it really liked it
really liked it, but so sad and so moving
Andrew
Mar 24, 2015 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Winifred Holtby was a name I recognised but in the past knew little about save that I recently enjoyed the BBC's adaptation of South Riding. So I was fascinated to read about what turned out to be an astonishing woman who appeared to be ahead of her time and died at a point in her writing life when she would probably have gone on to produce astonishing literature. Vera Brittain writes a very touching biography of her friend who she met at Oxford in 1919 as she was one of the first generation of ...more
Pat
Dec 23, 2013 Pat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-enough-of
This is probably very much a book of its time as it felt so dated in a way that many older books don't. The language was far too flowery for me and I didn't feel that we got to know the real Winifred Holtby. It is obvious that her early death left a huge gap in Vera Brittain's life and this tribute to her may have helped in the grieving process but as a book it did not thrill me. I rarely leave a book before I have finished it but I have really had enough of this one.
Judy
Judy rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2012
Stephanie Fearn
Stephanie Fearn rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Margaret Skinner
Margaret Skinner rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2012
Krista
Krista rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2012
Alison
Alison rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2011
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2009
Liz Muir
Liz Muir rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2013
Winka
Winka rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2015
Jia-yi
Jia-yi rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2012
Onss
Onss rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2016
Tina
Tina rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2014
Bookmusings
Bookmusings rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2016
Ozzie
Ozzie rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2014
Jahnia Brown
Jahnia Brown rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2014
Louise
Louise rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Frances Crossley
Frances Crossley rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2012
Yvonne Scott
Yvonne Scott rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Margaret
Margaret rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2009
Ainsley
Ainsley rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2012
  • Portrait of a Marriage: Vita Sackville-West and Harold Nicolson
  • Good Evening, Mrs Craven: The Wartime Stories of Mollie Panter-Downes
  • With Lawrence in Arabia
  • Fanny and Stella: The Young Men Who Shocked Victorian England
  • The Backwash of War: The Human Wreckage of the Battlefield as Witnessed by an American Hospital Nurse
  • Letters from Africa, 1914-1931
  • The Virago Book of Women Travellers
  • Nella Last's Peace: The Post-War Diaries Of Housewife, 49
  • The Forbidden Zone: A Nurse's Impressions of the First World War
  • The Sound of Wings: the Life of Amelia Earhart
Vera Mary Brittain was a British writer and pacifist, best remembered as the author of the best-selling 1933 memoir Testament of Youth, recounting her experiences during World War I and the beginning of her journey towards pacifism.

Her daughter is Shirley Vivian Teresa Brittain Williams, Baroness Williams of Crosby who is a British politician and academic who represents the Liberal Democrats.

More about Vera Brittain...

The Virago Book (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Brilliant Careers: The Virago Book of 20th Century Fiction
  • The Virago Book of Erotic Myths and Legends
  • The Virago Book of Fairy Tales
  • The Second Virago Book Of Fairy Tales
  • The Virago Book of Ghost Stories

“Her mind was like a spring-tide in full flood; rich, shining, vigorous, and capable of infinite variety.” 13 likes
“... long before she could read easily Winifred had begun to write, and before she could write she told stories” 1 likes