Start by marking “Testament of Friendship (Virago classic non-fiction)” as Want to Read:
Testament of Friendship (Virago classic non-fiction)

Testament of Friendship (The Virago Book)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The author traces her friendship with the author, Winifred Holtby, from their meeting at Oxford to Holtby's death at the age of thirty-seven.
Published September 3rd 1992 by Virago Press Ltd (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Testament of Friendship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Testament of Friendship

Graceann
Oct 16, 2014 Graceann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Women, fans of good writing
Recommended to Graceann by: Jo Brand
Shelves: memoir, biography
Unfortunately, Winifred Holtby is not well remembered today, even in her home country. The woman who wrote this book, Vera Brittain, has scarcely fared better, despite outliving Holtby by more than thirty years. This is a shame, because they are both worth remembering for numerous reasons. I was deeply moved by Brittain's "Testament of Youth," but if possible, I loved "Testament of Friendship" even more.

Winifred Holtby was a novelist, journalist and human rights activist who was active in the y
Anne
I had to put Testament of Friendship down about ten pages from the end because I just couldn't bear it anymore. I was wracked with sobs--not just for Winifred Holtby, but for her mother (who outlived her whole family), for Vera Brittain (who saw everybody she loved die in the war, then her father and Winifred), for her long-time love Bill who never could get his act together until it was too late, and for everybody who knew her.

Because it's a biography of Winifred written by her best friend, an
Winter Rose
Beautifully Poetic!
MadgeUK
This is the second of Vera Brittain's autobiographical trilogy and gives a loving account of her deep friendship with the Yorkshire born author, journalist and political activist, Winifred Holtby, whom she met at Oxford. Both of these women were pioneers in their day but sadly, are now largely forgotten.
Helen Billington
This is a marvellous book of its time, written in 1939 it is a biography of Yorkshire writer Winifred Holtby. I read Vera Brittain's other 'Testament' books whenI was a student in the 80s and had forgotten that I hadn't read this until it popped up as an Amazon suggested read.
Margaret
Everyone should be lucky enough to have her best friend write her biography. This was a marvelous book.
Helen Smith
really liked it, but so sad and so moving
Pat
This is probably very much a book of its time as it felt so dated in a way that many older books don't. The language was far too flowery for me and I didn't feel that we got to know the real Winifred Holtby. It is obvious that her early death left a huge gap in Vera Brittain's life and this tribute to her may have helped in the grieving process but as a book it did not thrill me. I rarely leave a book before I have finished it but I have really had enough of this one.
Gabrielle
Gabrielle marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Fredrika
Fredrika is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2014
Marianne Husbands
Marianne Husbands marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Yvonne Conroy
Yvonne Conroy marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Shirley Anstey
Shirley Anstey marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Wendy
Wendy added it
Nov 11, 2014
Pamela K Cowley
Pamela K Cowley marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Cwene
Cwene marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Steve Spencer
Steve Spencer marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Kat Limbrick
Kat Limbrick marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Saudia
Saudia marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Claire McAlpine
Claire McAlpine marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Julia Legian
Julia Legian marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Kerrie
Kerrie marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Frost in May
  • Few Eggs and No Oranges: The Diaries of Vere Hodgson 1940-45
  • Violet to Vita: The Letters of Violet Trefusis to Vita Sackville-West, 1910-1921
  • A London Child of the 1870s
  • Period Piece
  • Recovering: A Journal
  • Leonard Woolf: A Biography
  • The Soul of Kindness
Vera Mary Brittain (29 December 1893 – 29 March 1970) was a British writer and pacifist, best remembered as the author of the best-selling 1933 memoir Testament of Youth, recounting her experiences during World War I and the beginning of her journey towards pacifism.

(from Wikipedia)
More about Vera Brittain...
Testament of Youth Testament of Experience Chronicle of Youth: The War Diary, 1913-1917 Because You Died: Poetry and Prose of the First World War and After Letters from a Lost Generation: First World War Letters of Vera Brittain and Four Friends (BBC Radio Collection)

“Her mind was like a spring-tide in full flood; rich, shining, vigorous, and capable of infinite variety.” 2 likes
“... long before she could read easily Winifred had begun to write, and before she could write she told stories” 0 likes