Start by marking “The Tempest: A Gisborne Novel” as Want to Read:

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Guy of Gisborne is a fierce, brooding knight. He is both feared and scorned by those under his command. But under his harsh exterior is a tormented soul, haunted by his many sins...Cassia is a peasant with a gift for healing, and a secret longing for the feared lord Gisborne. When fate thrusts him into her hands, she quickly finds that he lives up to his dark reputation. B ...more
Kindle Edition, Second Edition
Published April 27th 2010 (first published April 17th 2010)

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Tempest by Charlotte Hawkins
    The Tempest: A Gisborne Novel
    Guy of Gisborne, a man of great darkness and sin, meets the woman who will be his redemption... Sir Guy is a fierce, brooding knight. He is both feare…more
    Giveaway dates: Oct 27 - Dec 01, 2014
    2 copies available, 208 people requesting
    Countries available: US, CA, and GB more
  • Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Tempest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tempest

The Madness Of Lord Ian MacKenzie by Jennifer AshleyDreaming of You by Lisa KleypasLord of Scoundrels by Loretta ChaseThe Raven Prince by Elizabeth HoytJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
    Tortured Heroes of Historical Romance
    136th out of 249 books — 256 voters
    Outlander by Diana GabaldonGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenHere be Dragons by Sharon Kay PenmanThe Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick
    Hunks in History
    111th out of 136 books — 247 voters

More lists with this book...

Anna
    I'm obsessed with Sir Guy of Gisborne from the BBC's Robin Hood, played to perfection by sex-on-legs Richard Armitage. From his smouldering smirks and snarls, to his heartbreaking inner torment and turmoil, to his desperate loneliness and longing to be loved, to his stubble, long hair, guyliner and black clothes - he's a brooding badboy with a haunted soul, a broken man who needs saving.

The book is in part dedicated to 'RA for the inspiration,' and from the first description of him there's no d
    Regan Walker
    Topsy Turvy Robin Hood, where he is the Villain, and Sir Guy is the Hero

The author said she was inspired to write this story by Richard Armitage’s performance as Sir Guy of Gisborne in BBC’s Robin Hood series. While I’ve not seen the TV series, I can assume as a villain, Armitage was enticing. In this story, Sir Guy is made to be the hero and Robin of Locksley comes out as a self-serving outlaw villain. Quite a switch. And I’m not sure it worked.

Set in Nottinghamshire, beginning in 1174 (and con
    Lanie Sanders
    So. I read this soly because it gisborne on it. I am hoplessly in love with the charcter. (Thank u bbc) Traditionally, he an important charcter in the robin hood ballads. He was a bounty hunter the sheriff sent after robin. They meet in sherwood, duel, & robin decapitates him. And takes his cloak just to add insult to injury. Nowadays, guy is shown in a much different light. He is a lackey of the sheriff, a nobleman. & thats what I love abouthim. With such a jump & so little know abo ...more
    Stacey
    One of my favorite characters of all time is Guy of Gisborne, the baddie with a tortured soul played magnificently by Richard Armitage in BBC's Robin Hood. His smirk, his swagger, his black leather getup of series two, and his series three hair were nothing short of perfection. He wasn't just sexy-as-hell mancandy, though. The despair and the loneliness within him.. that haunted look in his eyes was what really moved me. For many months I swooned, drooled, and shed tears over this beautiful brok ...more
    M.reed1948
    I am a Guy of Gisborne fan, so this appealed to me before I even read it. I was surprised at the quality of the writing, which is pretty good for an unknown author. It's not perfect (Some of the language is a bit too modern) but it wasn't so bad as to turn me away. What I really enjoyed were the two main characters. Guy is here in all his brooding badness, but the author has given him a lot of depth. We see into his soul and get into his head, and I love him even more now than I did when I watch ...more
    Traxy Thornfield
    This is a novel which I had heard about previously, but hesitated to look up. After all, it's about Guy of Gisborne - specifically: as he was portrayed by Richard Armitage in the BBC series Robin Hood - and it sounded a bit too fanfic-y for my taste. Then I read another book by the same author and thought, "you know what? I enjoyed this, I might just give it a go anyway".

The Tempest stars the brooding, scowling, smirking (there's a lot of this in the book) and generally pretty horrid Sir Guy of
    Maria Grazia
    Sir Guy of Gisborne is a fierce , brooding knight. He is both feared and scorned by those under his command. But under his harsh exterior is a lonely soul, haunted by his many sins ...
    Cassia is a peasant with a gift for healing... and a secret longing for the feared lord Gisborne. When fate thrusts him into her hands, she quickly learns that he lives up to his dark reputation. But she also discovers there is more to him than meets the eye...

These are the protagonists of THE TEMPEST , A GUY OF GI
    Lisa Yarde
    I loved Guy, the misunderstood hero who reforms and Cassia, who sees beneath his exterior to the strong heart and passionate soul he possesses. Their chemistry is great, the passion is volatile. I'd give it five stars for that alone. But like another earlier reviewer, I felt the story got a little lost in the last third of it, when Cassia reunites with lost relatives and Guy journeys to find her. The resolution worked for me, but the scenes with Cassia's family that led up to it felt muddled.
    Sheila
    To be fair, I'm not a real fan of romance, but this is the worst of the genre: lots of very explicit sex with an idiotic plot.
    Antonia
    I'm loving it!!!
    Michelle
    I received my copy of Charlotte Hawkin’s The Tempest, through the Goodreads First Reads program.
    I’ll begin this review by stating that I truly enjoyed this book as a work of romantic fiction and plan to read the other two Gisborne novels. I feel the need to specify that I enjoyed it as a work of romantic fiction because I am not entirely certain how to classify it otherwise.

Ms Hawkins declares in her Author’s Notes that she has been a lifelong fan of the tales of Sherwood Forest, preferring the
    Abaker
    Nov 25, 2012 Abaker rated it 1 of 5 stars
    Recommends it for: I would NOT recommend to anyone
    This "book" is hands down, the worst thing I've read in my entire life! There is no real plot, unless you consider completely implausible, rambling drivel, a story-line. The writer fabricates delusive, overblown consequences for flimsily contrived events laboriously dragging the unlucky reader from one venue to another. The characters are not even remotely developed and thus there are no empathetic relationships. In other words; as a reader, you don't give a rat's derriere what happens to them! ...more
    Melanie
    I'm sure that this take on Robin Hood's nemesis will not appeal to diehard Prince of Thieves fans, but if you've had a chance to watch BBC series (which lasted only three seasons), you will gobble this book and revel in it. I did. I loved every word this author wrote, and then some!

First, because of the said series, I knew what to expect, or I thought I did. It actually went a bit further then the series in giving us depth to Guy's character that helped me understand his dark and brooding natur
    Amber Blase
    It was fun to read a book where someone notorious for being bad turns into a good guy because of the love of a good woman. Sir Guy has been burned in the past, so he's mistrustful of women. When he ends up nearly dead by Cassia's house, her father brings him inside and they work to heal Guy. The fireworks start almost immediately between Guy and Cassia. He doesn't trust her, and despite the fact that she's always loved him from afar, she has to put him in his place because it wouldn't do him wel ...more
    Xenia
    Nov 03, 2012 Xenia rated it 5 of 5 stars
    Recommends it for: all lovers of romance
    Recommended to Xenia by: Marionette Tabonair
    Shelves: romance
    This book was recommended to me by someone from Pinterest. Anyway, after the glowing recommendation I purchased the kindle edition and started reading it the next day. I LOVE this story of Guy of Gisborne. Richard Armitage plays Guy in the BBC Robin Hood series that lasted only three seasons. Richard is very sexy as Guy of Gisborne and it is him that I thought of while reading this book. It is written by a female author so it is done from a woman's point of view. I could not put this book down u ...more
    Síafra
    I quite liked the idea of Robin Hood not being automatically good. I was always hesitant of such descriptions. Although... This book got me thinking, if Robin Hood stole from the rich and gave to the poor, and the government "steals" from the rich (taxes), and gives to the poor (welfare), then isn't the government like Robin Hood?! :D Just a silly thought.

I read the version on Hawkins' website, and I quite liked it. I'll admit I didn't like how... conceding Cassia was at the beginning of the boo
    D.S. Williams
    I thoroughly enjoyed this story by Charlotte Hawkins. Well-written and historically accurate, it was filled with characters who were both entertaining and well-rounded. It was particularly so with Guy of Gibson, who starts out as someone to be feared and scorned, but develops to the point where you want to cheer for him and what he deals with.
    Highly recommended to those who enjoy both a mystery and books set in the medieval period. There are links (naturally) to the story of Robin Hood and Maid
    Chrissy
    Full disclosure here.
    A great deal of the appeal from this novel comes from the tacit acknowledgement that it is heavily inspired by Richard Armitage's Sir Guy. This for me was actually a bit of a draw back as my heart belongs to another Guy (for the curious Robert Addie made my knees weak).

That being said while I rolled my eyes at the "save him from his own darkness" shtick, and some minor historical hiccups I did find the book to be quite enjoyable.

I admired the witty banter that kicked up from
    Searock
    This story was ok to enjoyable. Sounds like the BBC series makes a big difference though, so perhaps I'll watch it and try a re-read!

Update: I recently watched the first season of the Robin Hood series (that was a lot of watching all at once!) and I certainly understand the fervor for Mr. Armitage. Pictures of him cannot capture the manly manliness. I am so looking forward to re-reading this story with his character in mind.
    Stacie
    Jul 19, 2010 Stacie added it
    Story of Guy of Gisborne after he is left at the altar by Maid Marian. Cassia is a peasant in the town and has adored Guy from afar for long time now. She sees his goodness under the rough exterior. She feels that Marian is a fool for throwing away Guy. Then one night Guy is hurt and she takes him to nurse him back to health. Interesting read and take on this storyline.
    Michele
    This is not the literary Guy of Gisborne but the BBC's Robin Hood's Guy of Gisborne and Charlotte Hawkins hits the nail on the head when it comes to Guy of Gisborne. She has captured his broodiness,crankiness and vulnerability. Finding true love after Marian and the Sheriff getting what he deserves left me cheering for Guy even more than usual.
    Stephie
    I personally found the book enjoyable because I love the character of Sir Guy. However, I couldn't comfortably recommend this book to others without knowing where they stand morally, because of the book's sexual content. Definitely wouldn't allow this book for anyone under 13, and even above that I'd be a little skeptical.
    Sue
    Dec 19, 2012 Sue added it
    I can't really rate it. There were a few good parts but I just didn't like that so many acts of sexual intimacy were included. I did like that Guy of Gisborne seemed to have a heart under it all. I liked that our heroine had tenacity and didn't give up easily in any of her endeavors.
    Lacey
    Somewhat pedestrian fare, but lawdy is it smokin' hot. If you're a GoG fan (especially as depicted in BBC's Robin Hood) and wished him a happier ending, it's a must-read. Warning: Rattled my not-so-delicate sensibilities so definitely not for the kiddos or prudish.
    Robin Thomsen
    Fantastic!! Fell for Guy of Gisborne all over again!! Must read!!!
    I really enjoyed this story about second chance, not only in love but in life. Not to mention, it's a fun read when you're imagining Richard Armitage (who played Gisborne in the BBC's Robin Hood) as the title character LOL
    Fernanda
    Very well written romance that does not lose sight of Guy's character, hence why I was enthralled to read this story. I really wanted to see where the author was taking this and I was wonderfully surprised.
    Christina
    More fanfiction than fiction, floppy plot, clumsy writing. I don't even watch the show this is written for and I can still tell that Guy's is very out of character here.
    Dawn
    I read this book as a Kindle cheap buy...then fell in love with this couple. I had to read all of series, and hope the author finds a way to keep it going.
    Marsh Brooks
    Guy of Gisborne has something coming if he thinks that a peasant like Cassia can be tamed. Great love story with unexpected twists.
    • Heaven's Fire (Fairfax Family #2)
    • A Winter Ballad
    • Through a Dark Mist (Robin Hood, #1)
    • A Knight to Remember (Blood Sword Legacy, #3.5)
    • Wild Desire (Wild, #2)
    • The Mudlark
    • The Warrior's Game
    • Simon's Lady
    • Love, Unexpectedly (Wild Ride To Love #2)
    • A Scandalous Past (Scandalous, #4)
    • Siren Song (Siren Song, #1)
    • The Templar's Seduction (The Templar Knights, #3)
    • One Night in Boston (One Night, #1)
    • Woman of Sin
    • Finding Grace
    • Immortal (Clare Point, #3)
    • The Marquis (Gypsy Legacy, #1)
    • A Knight's Reward (Knight's, #2)
    My Lady Gisborne: A Gisborne Novel The Baron's Lady: A Gisborne Novel Licentious Litanies; The Ballad of John and Percy Road