Start by marking “The Tempest: A Gisborne Novel” as Want to Read:
The Tempest: A Gisborne Novel

The Tempest: A Gisborne Novel

Guy of Gisborne is a fierce, brooding knight. He is both feared and scorned by those under his command. But under his harsh exterior is a tormented soul, haunted by his many sins...Cassia is a peasant with a gift for healing, and a secret longing for the feared lord Gisborne. When fate thrusts him into her hands, she quickly finds that he lives up to his dark reputation. B ...more
Kindle Edition, Second Edition
Published April 27th 2010 (first published April 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Tempest, please sign up.

Charlotte Hawkins I know there are some historical matters that need to be corrected. This book and the sequel were written several years ago when I was first getting…moreI know there are some historical matters that need to be corrected. This book and the sequel were written several years ago when I was first getting into the writing business. I do plan to make those corrections soon.(less)

Anna
I'm obsessed with Sir Guy of Gisborne from the BBC's Robin Hood, played to perfection by sex-on-legs Richard Armitage. From his smouldering smirks and snarls, to his heartbreaking inner torment and turmoil, to his desperate loneliness and longing to be loved, to his stubble, long hair, guyliner and black clothes - he's a brooding badboy with a haunted soul, a broken man who needs saving.

The book is in part dedicated to 'RA for the inspiration,' and from the first description of him there's no d
Anja Wilton
Nov 11, 2016 Anja Wilton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Thank you Charlotte " hugs you "
Lanie
So. I read this soly because it gisborne on it. I am hoplessly in love with the charcter. (Thank u bbc) Traditionally, he an important charcter in the robin hood ballads. He was a bounty hunter the sheriff sent after robin. They meet in sherwood, duel, & robin decapitates him. And takes his cloak just to add insult to injury. Nowadays, guy is shown in a much different light. He is a lackey of the sheriff, a nobleman. & thats what I love abouthim. With such a jump & so little know abo ...more
Regan Walker
Oct 14, 2014 Regan Walker rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medieval
Topsy Turvy Robin Hood, where he is the Villain, and Sir Guy is the Hero

The author said she was inspired to write this story by Richard Armitage’s performance as Sir Guy of Gisborne in BBC’s Robin Hood series. While I’ve not seen the TV series, I can assume as a villain, Armitage was enticing. In this story, Sir Guy is made to be the hero and Robin of Locksley comes out as a self-serving outlaw villain. Quite a switch. And I’m not sure it worked.

Set in Nottinghamshire, beginning in 1174 (and con
Abaker
Nov 18, 2012 Abaker rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: I would NOT recommend to anyone
This "book" is hands down, the worst thing I've read in my entire life! There is no real plot, unless you consider completely implausible, rambling drivel, a story-line. The writer fabricates delusive, overblown consequences for flimsily contrived events laboriously dragging the unlucky reader from one venue to another. The characters are not even remotely developed and thus there are no empathetic relationships. In other words; as a reader, you don't give a rat's derriere what happens to them! ...more
Stacey
Jul 29, 2010 Stacey rated it liked it
One of my favorite characters of all time is Guy of Gisborne, the baddie with a tortured soul played magnificently by Richard Armitage in BBC's Robin Hood. His smirk, his swagger, his black leather getup of series two, and his series three hair were nothing short of perfection. He wasn't just sexy-as-hell mancandy, though. The despair and the loneliness within him.. that haunted look in his eyes was what really moved me. For many months I swooned, drooled, and shed tears over this beautiful brok ...more
Maria Grazia
Jun 20, 2010 Maria Grazia rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
Sir Guy of Gisborne is a fierce , brooding knight. He is both feared and scorned by those under his command. But under his harsh exterior is a lonely soul, haunted by his many sins ...
Cassia is a peasant with a gift for healing... and a secret longing for the feared lord Gisborne. When fate thrusts him into her hands, she quickly learns that he lives up to his dark reputation. But she also discovers there is more to him than meets the eye...

These are the protagonists of THE TEMPEST , A GUY OF GI
Traxy Thornfield
This is a novel which I had heard about previously, but hesitated to look up. After all, it's about Guy of Gisborne - specifically: as he was portrayed by Richard Armitage in the BBC series Robin Hood - and it sounded a bit too fanfic-y for my taste. Then I read another book by the same author and thought, "you know what? I enjoyed this, I might just give it a go anyway".

The Tempest stars the brooding, scowling, smirking (there's a lot of this in the book) and generally pretty horrid Sir Guy of
M.reed1948
Jun 16, 2010 M.reed1948 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a Guy of Gisborne fan, so this appealed to me before I even read it. I was surprised at the quality of the writing, which is pretty good for an unknown author. It's not perfect (Some of the language is a bit too modern) but it wasn't so bad as to turn me away. What I really enjoyed were the two main characters. Guy is here in all his brooding badness, but the author has given him a lot of depth. We see into his soul and get into his head, and I love him even more now than I did when I watch ...more
Lisa Yarde
I loved Guy, the misunderstood hero who reforms and Cassia, who sees beneath his exterior to the strong heart and passionate soul he possesses. Their chemistry is great, the passion is volatile. I'd give it five stars for that alone. But like another earlier reviewer, I felt the story got a little lost in the last third of it, when Cassia reunites with lost relatives and Guy journeys to find her. The resolution worked for me, but the scenes with Cassia's family that led up to it felt muddled.
Diana Long
Mar 30, 2016 Diana Long rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knowing that this novel was inspired by the actor Richard Armitage and his portrayal of Guy of Gisborne in the BBC production of Robin Hood I looked forward to reading this work. I really enjoyed it and thought it very entertaining. It does contain some descriptive intimate scenarios but well written and not in a vulgar way.
Sheila
Nov 18, 2010 Sheila rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To be fair, I'm not a real fan of romance, but this is the worst of the genre: lots of very explicit sex with an idiotic plot.
Robin Thomsen
Jun 29, 2014 Robin Thomsen rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!! Fell for Guy of Gisborne all over again!! Must read!!!
Antonia
Aug 22, 2011 Antonia rated it it was amazing
I'm loving it!!!
Michelle
Aug 14, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received my copy of Charlotte Hawkin’s The Tempest, through the Goodreads First Reads program.
I’ll begin this review by stating that I truly enjoyed this book as a work of romantic fiction and plan to read the other two Gisborne novels. I feel the need to specify that I enjoyed it as a work of romantic fiction because I am not entirely certain how to classify it otherwise.

Ms Hawkins declares in her Author’s Notes that she has been a lifelong fan of the tales of Sherwood Forest, preferring the
Hannah
Some of the most hackneyed writing it has ever been my misfortune to read. Blech.
Candy Ann Varty
Oct 30, 2016 Candy Ann Varty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. It was a great story and you have to love Sir Guy..
Melanie
Oct 02, 2011 Melanie rated it it was amazing
I'm sure that this take on Robin Hood's nemesis will not appeal to diehard Prince of Thieves fans, but if you've had a chance to watch BBC series (which lasted only three seasons), you will gobble this book and revel in it. I did. I loved every word this author wrote, and then some!

First, because of the said series, I knew what to expect, or I thought I did. It actually went a bit further then the series in giving us depth to Guy's character that helped me understand his dark and brooding natur
Amber Blase
Aug 15, 2010 Amber Blase rated it it was amazing
It was fun to read a book where someone notorious for being bad turns into a good guy because of the love of a good woman. Sir Guy has been burned in the past, so he's mistrustful of women. When he ends up nearly dead by Cassia's house, her father brings him inside and they work to heal Guy. The fireworks start almost immediately between Guy and Cassia. He doesn't trust her, and despite the fact that she's always loved him from afar, she has to put him in his place because it wouldn't do him wel ...more
Xenia
Nov 03, 2012 Xenia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all lovers of romance
Recommended to Xenia by: Marionette Tabonair
Shelves: romance
This book was recommended to me by someone from Pinterest. Anyway, after the glowing recommendation I purchased the kindle edition and started reading it the next day. I LOVE this story of Guy of Gisborne. Richard Armitage plays Guy in the BBC Robin Hood series that lasted only three seasons. Richard is very sexy as Guy of Gisborne and it is him that I thought of while reading this book. It is written by a female author so it is done from a woman's point of view. I could not put this book down u ...more
Síafra
Jun 19, 2012 Síafra rated it really liked it
I quite liked the idea of Robin Hood not being automatically good. I was always hesitant of such descriptions. Although... This book got me thinking, if Robin Hood stole from the rich and gave to the poor, and the government "steals" from the rich (taxes), and gives to the poor (welfare), then isn't the government like Robin Hood?! :D Just a silly thought.

I read the version on Hawkins' website, and I quite liked it. I'll admit I didn't like how... conceding Cassia was at the beginning of the boo
Chrissy
Apr 12, 2013 Chrissy rated it liked it
Full disclosure here.
A great deal of the appeal from this novel comes from the tacit acknowledgement that it is heavily inspired by Richard Armitage's Sir Guy. This for me was actually a bit of a draw back as my heart belongs to another Guy (for the curious Robert Addie made my knees weak).

That being said while I rolled my eyes at the "save him from his own darkness" shtick, and some minor historical hiccups I did find the book to be quite enjoyable.

I admired the witty banter that kicked up from
Roberta
May 11, 2014 Roberta rated it it was ok
I don't know hot to feel about this book. In the first half is audacious , interesting and the characters are well described. The last half is bad. Bad with a capital B. B, like boring, barely interesting, basically useless. The author lost her way in a domestic life. The last seven chapter were like copied pasted from each other. I can't completely say I didn't like it, but I had so great expectation about this Guy's story. I don't know if I will continue.

SPOILERS

And Robin Hood death, in this b
Nicole Laverdure
Aug 13, 2014 Nicole Laverdure rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading The Tempest , nicely written by new-to-me author Charlotte Hawkins. Sir Guy Gisborne’s life was filled with twists and turns! I loved her characters Guy and Cassia, What happens when a beautiful and smart heroine meets a handsome hero, well it’s creates a sensual chemistry, sparks flare. They were perfect for each other. The steamy love scenes were very well written. The author nicely blended her characters in a well developed plot. It kept my interest until the end. I l ...more
Jo Notary
300p Guy of Gisborne is a fierce, brooding knight. He is both feared and scorned by those under his command. But under his harsh exterior is a tormented soul, haunted by his many sins...
Cassia is a peasant with a gift for healing, and a secret longing for the feared lord Gisborne. When fate thrusts him into her hands, she quickly finds that he lives up to his dark reputation. But she also learns there is more to him than meets the eye...
Soon they are drawn into a passionate affair, discovering t
D.S. Williams
Feb 13, 2014 D.S. Williams rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this story by Charlotte Hawkins. Well-written and historically accurate, it was filled with characters who were both entertaining and well-rounded. It was particularly so with Guy of Gibson, who starts out as someone to be feared and scorned, but develops to the point where you want to cheer for him and what he deals with.
Highly recommended to those who enjoy both a mystery and books set in the medieval period. There are links (naturally) to the story of Robin Hood and Maid
Searock
Oct 16, 2011 Searock rated it liked it
This story was ok to enjoyable. Sounds like the BBC series makes a big difference though, so perhaps I'll watch it and try a re-read!

Update: I recently watched the first season of the Robin Hood series (that was a lot of watching all at once!) and I certainly understand the fervor for Mr. Armitage. Pictures of him cannot capture the manly manliness. I am so looking forward to re-reading this story with his character in mind.
Melinda
Nov 28, 2011 Melinda rated it really liked it
I read this last spring on a family camping trip and forgot to review it immediately after. I liked it, it was an easy read. I can't say anything about the accuracy of the character because I just don't know, but it was nice to read a different take and view on the Robin Hood story. I left the book in an exchange library at a campsite in New jersey. I hope the next person to pick it up enjoyed it.
Apr 13, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I, like the author, am a fan of Richard Armitage's version of this character, but this is more than just fanfiction. Ms. Hawkins has done her research so that the old tales of Sir Guy seem to have been studied. One does not have to be a fan of the BBC show to appreciate this trilogy. It is definitely a light read, and is great for school breaks and beach outings, but even those who are looking for a little more to sink their teeth into will enjoy this.
Michele
Sep 13, 2013 Michele rated it it was amazing
This is not the literary Guy of Gisborne but the BBC's Robin Hood's Guy of Gisborne and Charlotte Hawkins hits the nail on the head when it comes to Guy of Gisborne. She has captured his broodiness,crankiness and vulnerability. Finding true love after Marian and the Sheriff getting what he deserves left me cheering for Guy even more than usual.
  • A Winter Ballad
  • Heaven's Fire (Fairfax Family, #2; Lords of Conquest, #6)
  • A Knight to Remember (Blood Sword Legacy, #3.5)
  • The Mudlark
  • Wild Desire (Wild, #2)
  • Through a Dark Mist (Robin Hood, #1)
  • Undercover Lover (Take Me, Lover, #2)
  • A Knight's Honor
  • The Warrior's Game (The Warriors Series #3)
  • A Knight's Reward (Knight's, #2)
  • Simon's Lady
  • Woman of Sin
  • Siren Song (Siren Song, #1)
  • The Marquis (Gypsy Legacy, #1)
  • Finding Grace
  • Immortal (Clare Point, #3)
  • A Scandalous Past (Scandalous, #5)
  • Sullivan's Justice (Carolyn Sullivan, #2)