Start by marking “Pomfret Towers” as Want to Read:
Pomfret Towers

Pomfret Towers (Barsetshire #6)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  294 ratings  ·  29 reviews
This novel centers around the weekend party that Alice Barton, a shy English girl, attends at Pomfret Towers, the magnificent seventeenth-century home of Lord Pomfret. Alice's mother, Mrs. Barton, has decided that now is the time that timid, home-centered Alice, must learn to socialize. Alice, mustering all of her courage, agrees to join the gathering at the elegant Towers ...more
Paperback
Published September 1st 2007 by Moyer Bell (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Pomfret Towers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pomfret Towers

Ali
In Pomfret Towers we have another lovely slice of 1930’s silliness, I loved it.Unashamedly cosy alert! Angela Thirkell’s Barsetshire novels are beloved of many readers, for their humour and charm, Virago have been re-issuing them a few at a time, with these rather delicious looking covers. I now have the next three waiting for me, as I felt I needed them to look forward to.
Full review:
Gerry
Barsetshire, the county created by Trollope, is continued by Angela Thirkell in 'Pomfret Towers' where a country house party takes place and where all the guests vie for position.

'Pomfret Towers', all the action in which takes place in the house itself, is a novel of modes and manners and it sees Alice and Guy Barton, sister and brother, guests of the host and mixing with the likes of the Rivers family, the Wicklows of the country set, and Giles Foster, nephew and heir of Lord Pomfret.

Foster, th
Jocelyn
What could be better than a weekend house party on the estate of an earl? Especially if the earl is a crusty old man with a kind but depressed wife, and his guests include his conceited cousin who writes romance novels for middle-aged women, her long-suffering publisher, and her two passive-aggressive children, plus several other young people in various states of being in or out of love?

This is the book that got me hooked on Angela Thirkell. It contains what I think is one of the funniest paragr
Caroline
Who would have thought that a weekend house party at a pre-WorldWar II English mansion would be the catalyst sparking off family drama in a rollicking good way. A timid woman finds herself starting to come out of her shell when she meets a sulky spoiled man proclaiming to be an artist. A loud and overbearing author of romance novels stalks after her publisher and her daughter in turn, believing herself entitled to a higher advance to her next book and blatantly trying to orchestrate a relationsh ...more
I can thank Barbara Pym for finding out about Angela Thirkell's existence. She is so funny! And, since she's not bothered by reality, she's not depressing. Reading many books like this in a row would probably be annoying, but one every now and then is great! I hope, though, I will not buy all the books in the series in the next year. One does not absolutely need to have them all. I hope.
David
A delightful, light holiday read. The 1930s country house setting is reminiscent of Wodehouse, but dare I say I think Thirkell's Barsetshire books are better than Jeeves and Wooster. Wodehouse tries to make us laugh frequently as though we were watching a TV sitcom, whereas Thirkell offers comedy in the sense of light drama. It is good to laugh but better, I think, to be made to smile. Another TV comparison would be to imagine Downton Abbey without the goings on below stairs and, some might add, ...more
Sonia Gensler
My favorite Thirkell novel yet. I love stories of weekend parties at country houses (Gosford Park, anyone?), and this one was simply splendid. Light and funny, but also terribly clever. Such a satisfying read! (Be sure to get the Virago edition, not the one pictured here.)
Vivian
I love this author, she's one of my favorites. I love her tongue-in-cheek narration, her characters, likely and unlikely; and the time period she writes about. The stories are predictable, and happily-ever-after endings abound. I like the way all the novels follow the same families through the years. These books are easy reads, and always amusing. The physical setting is the same as Anthony Trollope's Barsetshire novels, and Thirkell utilizes some of the events in those novels as backstory, and ...more
Mo
This particular book only available at Rochester Public Library.
Several of this authors other books are available thru mcl.
No ebooks for any of her books.
Bunnyjadwiga
Giles Pomfret as a young man, not yet overworked. Roddy Wicklow (he never did change). Julian Rivers and Mrs. Rivers at their most ridiculously annoying. And Sally. Alice here takes center stage, which she will (as far as I know) never do again... and we see her worrying about growing up in a way different from Anne, or Emmy, or any one of the other girls in Thirkell, though she is shy like them. Perhaps most like Lydia, but less heedless.
Joy
Alice Barton is terrified when she is invited to a weekend party by Lord Pomfret. If her brother and her sole friends Roddy Wicklow and his sister Sally weren't going too, Alice would have shut herself up in her studio and shivered for days at the very thought. But she finds people willing to be friendly, and has a better time than she expects. While Alice's story garners a lot of our sympathy, the stories of Sally and the heir to Pomfret, and the children of obnoxious author Mrs Rivers, have th ...more
Hannah
Sweet, delightful and charming. Old fashioned but in a well aged not out-moded away. Just a silly, fun light read that will put a smile on your face.
Seana
I don't remember much about the plot, but I do find Thirkell very entertaining.
Sandy Stidston
Enjoyable read - loved the 1930's period setting and lively characters.
Katharine Holden
Enjoyable. Loved the publisher's point of view.
Eleanor Field
Light.
This book deserves the sticker 'If you love Downton you'll love this'.
They say 'Very nice' A LOT.
C.
This is my favourite Thirkell so far. It's almost a romance novel, if romance novels took the viewpoint of an affectionate but realistic narrator who knew what idiots young people can be (for no other reason than being young).
Would give my eyeteeth, whichever ones those are, to have Mrs. Rivers' books to read.
Judy
I own most of the "other" Barsetshire Chronicles. I've read this one before at least once but was looking for something relaxing. Very funny and entertaining. The towns in Barsetshire are ones like Pomfret Madrigal, High Rising, Winter Overcoates, Worsted, Little Misfit.
I recommend the whole series.
See review at International Herald Tribune Review
Katrina
This isn't one of Angela Thirkell's best books but is still an enjoyable read. It's mainly about young Alice Barton who has always been delicate. It's time that she was launched into society so when Alice is invited away for her first country house weekend her mother is hoping that she will make friends of her own age and lose some of her painful shyness.
Lesley
Awwww, this was charming, and from the period before Thirkell began to insert diatribes about the Iron Heel of Socialism crushing the Nice People of Barsetshire and giving the local peasantry notions above their station - i.e. it has her strengths without the annoyances of the later works. (Also, no funny foreigners, also a plus.)
Capnniknak
Very comfortable reading. Thirkell is gold. Pick up if you like Downton and Wodehouse.
Kristin
I'm about half-way through, and I think this is my favorite Thirkell. Which is saying rather a lot.

It's official - I've (reluctantly) finished the book and it is definitely my favorite Thirkell so far (reading the Barsetshire novels in order). So delightful. Thank you, Karen!!
Hklute
I didn't want this book to end, it was such an enjoyable read. Thank you Margaret for the recommendation. I wish PBS would begin an Angela Thirkell Masterpiece series. For all of us Jane Austen fans, it would be lovely to watch, and I'm sure very fun to produce.
Mary
Pure escapism.
I just love Angela Thirkell and especially this book.
It is lively,witty and deliciously entertaining.
Pomfret Towers is the setting for a grand house party.
Whose hand will Mr Foster seek in marriage and who will win Alice's heart?
Deb
It's instructive to read earlier books after the later books. Here Thirkell is still thinking about her characters and they are not the caricatures of themselves that they later become, thinking the same thoughts always, never growing or learning.
Verity W
I giggled my way through this - another lovely comedy of manners and class from Angela Thirkell. There are some truly memorable characters in this one - especially Mrs Rivers...
Abigail
I am so glad Virago is re-issuing Thirkell's books. They are just delightful and the covers are gorgeous.
Polly
Delightfully funny and romantic!
LDuchess
  • The Claverings
  • Henrietta Sees It Through: More News from the Home Front 1942-1945
  • Good Evening, Mrs Craven: The Wartime Stories of Mollie Panter-Downes
  • Miss Ranskill Comes Home
  • Lucia in London (Lucia, #3)
  • Cousin Rosamund (VMC)
  • Hester
  • The Soul of Kindness
  • Money for Nothing
Angela Margaret Mackail was born on January 30, 1890 at 27 Young Street, Kensington Square, London. Her grandfather was Sir Edward Burne-Jones the pre-Raphaelite painter and partner in the design firm of Morris and Company for whom he designed many stained glass windows - seven of which are in St Margaret's Church in Rottingdean, West Sussex. Her grandmother was Georgiana Macdonald, one of a prec ...more
More about Angela Thirkell...

Barsetshire (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • High Rising (Barsetshire #1)
  • Wild Strawberries
  • The Demon in the House (Barsetshire #3)
  • August Folly (Barsetshire #4)
  • Summer Half
  • The Brandons
  • Before Lunch
  • Cheerfulness Breaks In (Barsetshire #9)
  • Northbridge Rectory
  • Marling Hall: A Barsetshire Novel (Barsetshire #11)
High Rising (Barsetshire #1) Wild Strawberries The Brandons August Folly (Barsetshire #4) Before Lunch