Start by marking “Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever

Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  438 ratings  ·  48 reviews
From the author of How to Create a Mind comes startling discoveries in the areas of genomics, biotechnology, and nanotechnology occur practically every day. The rewards of this research, some of it as spectacular as science fiction, are practically in our grasp. Fantastic Voyage shows us how we can use these new technologies to live longer than previously imaginable.

The
Published September 27th 2005 by Plume (first published 27th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Voyage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantastic Voyage

Secrets of the Realm by Bev StoutMy Lady Love by Bridgitte LesleyTagged by Joseph M. ChironHeart of Oak by David        CookArana's Visitor by Julie Rollins
Books=Gifts
92nd out of 195 books — 120 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathrynn
This book was published in 2004 and I would love to see it updated! Two authors collaborated: Ray Kurzwell, PhD (futuristic thinker) and Terry Grossman, M.D. Anti-Aging specialist and expert in Longevity Medicine. Little side note that Ray Kurzwell designed the message typewriter wheels the govn't used... :-)

The book uses three bridges to describe content. The First Bridge is the authors' Longevity Program. This has the current options available, but spruced up. Things we already have access to.
Garret
This book is a collaboration between the number one futurist of our time and one of the top doctors in preventitive medicine. It has an extreme premise: that within our lifetime scientists will find a way to stop the aging process and the goal is to live as healthy as possible in order to make it to that point. As shocking as it sounds, they actually back up their premise with a fair amount of pursuasive emperical data, including a number of technoligical developments that already exist. But whe ...more
Ethan Fixell
the parts on nutrition are pretty sweet, but it took me literally FOR..EV..ER (name that movie) to get through the fucking rest of the crap on heart disease, amino acids, dietary supplements and brain malfunctions. this book is definitely meant for a soon-to-be-dead middle aged dude. not a strapping young twenty-something like myself.

this one isn't nearly as good as Food Revolution, but still, an interesting read if you've got the patience.

ugh...i'm done with health books for awhile.
Dan
Fantastic Voyage is a most hopeful book. According to the authors (Kurzweil and Grossman), if you can live for another 20 to 30 years, you might be able to live indefinitely. Getting past the next 20 to 30 years is the challenge. The book is basically advice on healthy ways of living in order to live to such a time when science and technology have advanced to the point where science has eliminated threats to your health.

The authors give advice on vitimins and supplement to take to increase your
Richard Houchin
This book cites a lot of recent medical studies, and it's heavy on specific numbers and sciency talk. I particularly like the run-down of what the essential vitamins and mineral are, what effects they have been observed to have, what effects overdosing on them causes, and what amounts are probably safe for most people.

It's also nice that the book lists the names of the blood tests that will let you know what your level of these nutrients are.

One of the studies cited was a Mayo Clinic study which
William Cane
This book is my bible. As a nutritionist, I was awed by the breadth and scope of the discussion of supplements and health ideas. Kurzweil's visionary portrayal of the future is inspiring. Dr. Grossman's coverage of health is also inspiring and educational. A must read for anyone who cares about their own longevity.
George Shubin
Monsanto used to have a slogan, "Better living through chemistry." Kurzweil takes this up a notch. Actually, he takes it up a quantum leap. The sub-title, "Live Long Enough to Live Forever", posits our ability to extend human lifespans through our geometrically increasing knowledge and computing power. Enough time and technological advancement will result in our ability to prevent diseases and aging to such an extent that we will achieve practical immortality.

Of course, that's under the assumpti
Patty Apostolides
Any topic on longevity has been a fascination for me for years. I like to read about centenarians and we subscribe to the Life Extension magazine, and so this book about living longer was one that I had to read.

The book is chock full of information on a number of life extending choices that I'm familiar with, but the authors have added a few more interesting and up to date research. So the book does not disappoint. There are very useful tips that I will return to whenever I need to refresh my me
George
This book was a good update to Kurzweil's earlier book, "The 10% Solution". They were written about ten years apart, so I would recommend that anyone who is interested in learning how they can lose weight, improve their immune systems, and alter their biochemical makeup to their advantage pick up this book without delay.

The ultimate goal of the Ray and Terry plan is radical life extension. Live long enough with the fullest health possible to take advantage of possibly future technologies that wi
Quentin Feduchin
"So much information, heavy duty reading.."
(I wrote this having only read a quarter of the book, but needing to read no more to review it!)

I have indeed looked at a few parts later in the book that interested me, one of which is the small matter of alcohol. (A little is good for you; you will live longer; too much is bad - most of us know that.)

There is such a wealth of detail that no-one will have any excuse not to enjoy much better health. The detail of the materials of 'the stuff of life', wh
Eric
Yes, the subtitle is a little provocative. But it's written by Ray Kurzweil and his doctor friend, Terry Grossman, so what else can you expect? The basic premise is that since, according to Kurzweil, the singularity is coming soon, we should do all we possibly can to maintain our health so that we're still around when the rapid changes of the singularity begin to happen. Given the almost absurd premise, the authors put this book together in a great way. They first describe 3 bridges: 1- current/ ...more
Graham
Oh man, if you have a terrible fear of death like I do you should read this book. At the very least, it makes you *think* it is possible to live forever, thus extinguishing the fear of the inevitable. A valuable tool if you need peace of mind. It does not get five stars because there is too much work involved in living forever. I want results now. I also lost this book and can't recollect the strict lifestyle required to make it through the next 50 years to the point when science will cure death ...more
Joseph Santiago
I hope that the information contained in this book will happen. It seems to me that if it does happen there will be many people resisting change and new information at every innovation. Many of the supplements and combinations of diet with vitamins are beyond the desire for me to make part of a regiment. I hope to have an IA that becomes my online shadow and somehow we are linked to create a living interactive archive of me. A bit of a sophist wish I admit but I want a chance to become more than ...more
Lauren
I liked this book. It's heavy on science, but the format and writing style made it a bit easier to read. The authors have extremely health-focused lifestyles.

They emphasize regular exercise (walking 30-60 minutes a day); eating lots of green vegetables; drinking green tea instead of coffee; taking dozens of supplements; avoiding sugary foods, fatty foods, red meat, and foods with a high-glycemic load; managing stress (meditation); maintaining a positive outlook on life; and learning new things,
Ariadna73
Nah... these authors write very well, show off scientific terms, but end up giving the same granny advice as everyone. Of course they have to eat, so they found this market niche, sell books, lectures, etc. ... Nothing wrong with that.
Echo
Sometimes a little tough to navigate, but the futuristic topic of health and medicine is fascinating.
Kurzweil continues to blaze the trail.
Scott
This was an interesting read. For the most part it was quite informative and although it's not a new book most of his predictions are true.

The only thing I didn't enjoy is that there are parts of the book - especially when he discusses various tests - that seem like they've been added with the goal of making the book seem more scientifically based.

Ultimately I have learned some things, and it's prompted me to do further research in some areas. The key take home message I got was avoid foods with
Alex
The book was ok, unfortunately the good health information was mixed with some pseudoscience, and some of the stuff was very difficult to get a good bead on whether it is credible or not- even for researchers.

I did make some diet changes based on the recommendations in this book, and the overall effects have been very positive. Unfortunately, given how complicated the human body is, it appears impossible to me to find authoritative answers on a lot of things.
Erin
This book definitely has the intriguing allure of the author's belief that we are advancing towards the possibility of living for forever. It focuses mainly on the advances in research in nutrition and medicine. There was definitely some beneficial information I am taking away from this book, specifically in regards to nutrition, but it is very long and some chapters are almost painful to read.
Renee
I dropped it so take this with a grain of salt...It motivated me to take better care of myself but I don't think the concept is very realistic. The authors say if we do ALOT of certain things we could live long enough to experience the medical breakthroughs to live for hundreds of years...no thanks. The original plan of just going when it's time sounds better to me!
Bill
This is the most interesting and provocative book on health that I have ever read, from one of the greatest minds of our time. It's easy to dismiss some of Kurzweil's recommendations as craziness, because they seem so extreme. But I suspect anyone would be 50% healthier by following his plan--maybe 100%. 200%? How would you measure that, anyway?
William Winkle
At the time of its writing, Fantastic Voyage was groundbreaking. But now, having read this and Transcend side by side, I would clearly pick the latter volume. The two books tread much of the same ground, but the more current data and observations in Transcend make it the better book to read now.
Kimberly
Jan 31, 2008 Kimberly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kimberly by: my nerd-tastic husband
This one is a bit more medically inclined, but its well written and Mr. Kurtzweil's view points are pretty sci-fi. On the other hand, many of his predictions are beginning to surface in the worlds of genomics and nano-technology which only lends to his credibility (if not his fanaticism).
Paul
You won't want to eat sugar again. This book is all about eating healthy enough to live long enough to live forever. The idea is that in the near future the technology of medicine may allow us to replace parts, keep ourselves younger, and continue to live and live.

Scary idea, but interesting.
Nasim
Oct 29, 2007 Nasim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone seriously interested in learning about their body, health, nutrition
You think you know something about vitamins, what to eat, what that piece of bread is really doing to your body? You don't know na'.

Read this. It may change your life. Or, you may get bored to death by the science and throw the book through my window.
Asma
Wow.. what a book. The author claims he is going to live for 5000 years and he writes about how he is going to achieve that.
If you are a health freak.. its a must read. I must say I learnt some very important stuff about eating and keeping up
Bhavna
A bit too much for me. Still reading it. My first book on the Kindle.
Extremely informative. I think I would enjoy the hard copy more easier to skim through the too detailed parts.
DJ
Jun 13, 2010 DJ marked it as to-review
Shelves: health
I'm not really reading it right now but I'm noting to myself to review this because it was one of the most influential books in my life.
Brian
Interesting thoughts about the approach of the technological singularity and predictions on the impact it will have on humanity.
Jack Porter
Dec 17, 2007 Jack Porter rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people interested in their health
This is a great book with some "must know" information. Ray is a really good author and he keeps it interesting and exciting.
  • Ending Aging: The Rejuvenation Breakthroughs That Could Reverse Human Aging in Our Lifetime
  • Engines of Creation: The Coming Era of Nanotechnology
  • Flesh and Machines: How Robots Will Change Us
  • Robot: Mere Machine to Transcendent Mind
  • Darwin Among The Machines: The Evolution Of Global Intelligence
  • Cybernetics: or the Control and Communication in the Animal and the Machine
  • Are We Spiritual Machines?: Ray Kurzweil vs. the Critics of Strong AI
  • Petit cours d'autodéfense intellectuelle
  • Long for This World: The Strange Science of Immortality
  • Radical Evolution: The Promise and Peril of Enhancing Our Minds, Our Bodies -- and What It Means to Be Human
  • The Embodied Mind: Cognitive Science and Human Experience
  • FAB: The Coming Revolution on Your Desktop--from Personal Computers to Personal Fabrication
  • Great Books of the Western World
  • Why We Believe What We Believe: Uncovering Our Biological Need for Meaning, Spirituality, and Truth
  • Plague Time: The New Germ Theory of Disease
  • A Primer of Drug Action
  • Cycles of Time: An Extraordinary New View of the Universe
  • The Emotion Machine: Commonsense Thinking, Artificial Intelligence, and the Future of the Human Mind
Raymond Kurzweil is an inventor and futurist who has published books on health, artificial intelligence, transhumanism, and the technological singularity.
More about Ray Kurzweil...
The Singularity is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology The Age of Spiritual Machines: When Computers Exceed Human Intelligence How to Create a Mind: The Secret of Human Thought Revealed Transcend: Nine Steps to Living Well Forever The Age of Intelligent Machines