Seeds of Change: Six Plants That Transformed Mankind

Seeds of Change: Six Plants That Transformed Mankind

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A personal and highly original take on the history of six commercial plants, Seeds of Change illuminates how sugar, tea, cotton, the potato, quinine, and the cocoa plant have shaped our past. In this fascinating account, the impassioned Henry Hobhouse explains the consequences of these plants with attention-grabbing historical moments. While most records of history focus o...more
Published November 22nd 2005 by Counterpoint (first published January 1st 1986)

Andrew
some decent history here, which i usually dont have a taste for. the author's british boarding school attitude looking down at the rest of the world (and occasionally critically at his own) can be distastefull at times (i guarantee you'll be surprised by the bold generalizations of some of his pronouncements. for instance, one sentence begins "Though the Arabs had and still have a very low opinion of actual physical work..."
those kinds of things crop up throughout the book, but in general you ju...more
Yolanda
This is a fascinating evaluation of how the important plants (crops) have influenced history. You will be surprised (as was I) with what a large role they play. Highly recommended!
Peter

A revealing and fascinating book
and/or
A catalogue of the crimes of the white man.

Essentially 6 documentaries reminiscent of James Burke's 1970's 'Connections' TV series.
Mr Hobhouse begins each chapter from several starting points, and weaves from such disparate beginnings a complex and informative narrative/biography exploring the formative nature of one of six economically important "..largely tropical plants, which, after being transferred to countries other than their native habitats, became...more
Leah
Since I'm carrying on with my summer reading project, even though it's no longer summer anymore, here's the latest installment. I was really looking forward to reading Seeds of Change (Henry Hobhouse, 1986). I'd heard from someone else, years ago, who used it in writing a research paper, that it was a really great book. I also happen to love books about food, plants, science, and history. Win-win, right?

Let me start by saying that I certainly learned a lot from this book. I probably could have l...more
Alex
Feb 24, 2008 Alex rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: no one.
what I learned from this book: That once again, bad science trumps actual science, and that books filled with bad science also don't actually have characters. Oh wait, I already knew that.

Um, um, um ok. Right. So, there's this other earth right and it exists in the same space as our earth right but in a different time so um um and ok then there's an accident and the people learn to come through from earth to earth and like um its really exciting and um um um and then they have to come from earth...more
Nicole
Quinine, sugar, tea, cotton, and the cocoa plant are his plants of choice to represent the changes in power structure between the dominating Europeans and their colonial conquests. Quinine for opening up the tropics to a level of domination not previously possible. This was directly responsible for the sugar, rum, slave triangle that grew from the development of the new colonies. Cotton was added to the slave trade with American growth. Finally comes the drug trade based on the cocoa plant.

This...more
Marlene
If you enjoyed Jared Dimond's "Guns, Germs and Steel"--particularly the early chapters which deal with the influence of plant and animal life on the rise of civilization--you will probably find much to recommend this book, which explores the causative role of six plants on history. The plants chosen are quinine, sugar, tea, cotton, potatoes, and coca although many other candidates come readily to mind, e.g., pepper, nutmeg, soy, tulips, orchids.
The author' style is engaging and informative, and...more
Chandra
A similar vein as 'Botany of Desire,' but not quite as enjoyable of a read. Hobhouse has clearly done some deep digging for the historical info he provides, but unfortunately doesn't cite very much of it. That missing tidbit, coupled with his sweeping generalizations and unfounded claims from time to time, leave a bit to be desired. I'm not sure I buy his hypotheses about how these six particular plants changed the world (and all the 'this extremely historical event would have never happened wit...more
Ali Barrah
We all know about the slave trade and the opium wars, but this book goes into the great ideas that changed the world, for the better .....? Would make a great debate.

I had just read The Miraculous Fever Tree, and this book confired all that was written by the authoress on quinine. Sugar expanded my knowledge of the slave trade. Tea involved in the opium wars, now I ever knew that. Cotton, potaotes and the most destructive of our time coca, a very informative book that was first published in 1985...more
M
Hobhouse presents a fascinating perspective on the role of these plants in human history. The connections he makes between sugar, quinine, and slavery are especially compelling. He shows that plants to which addictions are formed, including opium and even sugar, are central in shaping our culture. Although this is a little dry as an end-of-the-day relaxation, I even found the footnotes to be of interest and read them as end-of-chapter blocks.

I'm interested to see what Hobhouse has to say about c...more
Pat Frank
Again, of of the earlier books on a natural history subject meant for the general audience. I've read it twice. It fleshes out historical events and explains how the natural environment and specifically, certain plants have affected the course of history.
Gentian
I find it strange that some people found this book dry.

An exerpt was featured in one of my English GCSE practice papers when I was a child. I was so interested that kept a note of the name of the book and went immediately to the school bookshop to order a copy. My 15 year old self really enjoyed the book. I am not so sure how it would stand up 20 years later to my now, more critical, adult review but in my memory it was excellent.
Jean
Hobhouse argues that five plants (quinine, potato, sugar cane, cotton and tea) have influenced the course of history more than men. The scholarly book was thoroughly researched and includes pages of footnotes at the end of each chapter. But it is an exceedingly dry read because the author covers huge tracts of history with endless, forgettable facts - reminiscent of old textbooks.
Nancy  W'f
Jul 19, 2008 Nancy W'f rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: readers of light mystery fiction.
Not a bad book, but definitely not in a class with The Uninvited, which was the author's most well known book. It was too obvious to the reader what was going to happen at the end of the book--I had it figured out by page 25. Still, interesting enough for those who enjoyed The Uninvited.
Jana
Although this book was dry, I found it fascinating. Great research and examples along with a little moral review.
Courtney Ostaff
An erudite, politically conservative review of the effects of trade (aka plants) through the last few hundred years. Well done.
Rob Godfrey
Another fascinating description of how plants have been discovered including the social history of the people and times.
Susan
Pseew! Too much detail and too much speculation. Wore me out, but I finished in time to return it to my friend.
Hannah
Really interesting, if overly academic. Don't read this one in bed- it will put you to sleep.
Stacey
May 04, 2012 Stacey marked it as to-read
note to self: this is the books that has an amazing section on "sugar and the slave trade"
Nunila
Man kind under has destroyed the earth and humans under the umbrella of colonialism.
Ian
Great thought-provoker! Makes you really think about things differently.
Cadillacrazy
This book could be better...it's taking me a while to get through it
Shadan
extremely information-packed, lots to learn from this one
David
I read this awhile ago but reading 1493 reminded me of it.
Fern
tad pedantic but impeccably researched
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Pak Sun
Pak Sun marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Su Akdag
Su Akdag marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
  • In the Devil's Garden: A Sinful History of Forbidden Food
  • Spice: The History of a Temptation
  • Banana: The Fate of the Fruit That Changed the World
  • Food in History
  • Tulipomania: The Story of the World's Most Coveted Flower & the Extraordinary Passions It Aroused
  • Taste: The Story of Britain Through Its Cooking
  • Mauve: How One Man Invented a Color That Changed the World
  • Much Depends on Dinner: The Extraordinary History and Mythology, Allure and Obsessions, Perils and Taboos of an Ordinary Meal
  • Beans: A History
  • A Short History of Rudeness: Manners, Morals, and Misbehavior in Modern America
  • Oak: The Frame of Civilization
  • Food: The History of Taste
More about Henry Hobhouse...
Seeds of Wealth: Five Plants That Made Men Rich Forces of Change: An Unorthodox View of History Seeds of Wealth Fünf Pflanzen verändern die Welt