Start by marking “Living at the Edge of the World: A Teenager's Survival in the Tunnels of Grand Central Station” as Want to Read:

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When Tina S. meets April, a teenage runaway, she thinks she's found her best friend. She leaves behind her dysfunctional family to join April in the tunnels of Grand Central Station amidst the homeless and drug addicted.
Soon she's bingeing on crack - just like April - and stealing, scamming and panhandling to support her habit and to survive on the streets.
In her own wor
Published October 6th 2000 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Living at the Edge of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living at the Edge of the World

Cynthia
Apr 13, 2008 Cynthia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Judy
Recommended to Cynthia by: the library
This book is incredible! It is the story of one woman's journey down to the depths of drug addiction, homelessness and poverty, living as a teenager in the tunnels of Grand Central Station, through rehab and ultimately after a ten-year struggle, to making a life for herself and a way in the world as a more whole person. As far as I can tell, Tina S. is probably about my age (40) and we have led such radically different lives, largely because I had a supportive, stable homelife with two parents, ...more
Britt
Amazing book. A must read!
Nycdreamin
This is the story of teen-aged Tina S. and how she found herself, like so many others, homeless and drug-addicted on the streets of New York City during the crack epidemic years of the late 1980's and early 1990's. It is a story of how she survived on and beneath the streets and of the people she called her friends. And it is also the story of how she, with the help of a few individuals who took an interest in saving her from self destruction, managed to escape the streets and eventually began t ...more
Linda
I read this before and while I accompanied my youth group on an inner-city mission trip. So much of what Tina S. related in this book was reinforced by the speaker from the Cincinnati Coalition for the Homeless who came to our community house one evening. Homeless people do not want to feel that they are invisible (who does?). But most of us don't even notice them and just walk past, not really looking at them or speaking to them. Even if we do give them some money or food, we do not address the ...more
Nicholas
What can I say about this book? This was kind of a gem that I happened to run into. Saying that I enjoyed this book would be a little cruel; some stories are not made to be read with comfort.

Living at the Edge of the World is a story about how life can turn your world upside down. It's inevitable not to feel pain; when every step you take allows for mistakes and lessons to be learned. I myself have gone through a lot of hardship in my life, and I hope that I have learned from the adventures I ha
Kelli
I would have rated it higher if the non-linear storytelling were easier to figure out. Otherwise, a compelling narrative into drug addiction and homelessness.
Natalie Pietro
This book was so moving. Its a true story about a young girl who's homeless trying to survive in the tunnels of grand central station. Its so sad what she goes thought. Bugs, creepy men, drugs, friends. Its so hard to read yet at the same time you just can't put it down. I wish I still had this book. Let my friend read it and never got it back. Damn the book I would really love to read again. Guess its time to buy a new one.
Alairic
I didn't think I'd like it when I first picked it up. I probably wouldn't have picked it up on my own either. But it was surprisingly good. There were times that I had to stop and think, "This is non-fiction?" It's an amazing tale of how someone hit rock bottom and got back up from it, more than once actually. It's a taste of reality that shows even those that are young have stories of strength that are worth being told.
Mokamonkey
It's been awhile since I've read this one, but it was a true story about a girl who lived in the tunnels of Grand Central station in New York. She left home, because it wasn't a good environment, got involved in drugs and ended up in a community of homeless teens. It follows her through her path off of the streets. Good story, but lots of difficult situations. For older teens.
Cate
Picked this one up off a display at the library. Some parts were surprisingly funny, but overall it was a sad story. People lead really sad lives. The girl in the book managed to get out, which was great. I'd like to read an update on how she's doing now.
Pia
I really enjoyed this account by TIna S. It's brutally honest, but a really wonderful story that makes you root for her all the way. Gave me a real sense of what life was like in New York's Grand Central in the 80s.
Jeannie
This is one of my all time favorite books and a keeper for me. Truly amazing story of a life I never dreamed of, much less one I gave a thought to. This book has opened my eyes to another world.
Gritty, real, amazing.
Marissa
Frightening
Cheryl Drie
Cheryl Drie marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Tonia
Tonia added it
Jul 24, 2015
Gene
Gene marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Belinda Bersiks
Belinda Bersiks marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Abbie Kuchera
Abbie Kuchera marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Christina Miller
Christina Miller marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Janice Green
Janice Green marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
  • Crazy Town: Money. Marriage. Meth.
  • Skinema
  • AC/DC, Revised & Updated: High-Voltage Rock 'n' Roll: The Ultimate Illustrated History
  • Hannah: My True Story of Drugs, Cutting, and Mental Illness
  • Father Knows Less Or: "Can I Cook My Sister?": One Dad's Quest to Answer His Son's Most Baffling Questions
  • Terry: My Daughter's Life-and-Death Struggle with Alcoholism
  • Sorrow Mountain: The Journey of a Tibetan Warrior Nun
  • All I Need to Know about Filmmaking I Learned from The Toxic Avenger
  • The Day I Went Missing: A True Story
  • Selected Poetry of Lord Byron
  • Mall
  • Genius and Heroin: The Illustrated Catalogue of Creativity, Obsession, and Reckless Abandon Through the Ages
  • The Lost Years: Surviving a Mother and Daughter's Worst Nightmare
  • Detour: My Bipolar Road Trip in 4-D
  • Yours Ever: People and Their Letters
  • Demon Witch (The Ravenscliff, #2)
  • Rolling Away: My Agony with Ecstasy
  • The Black Notebooks: An Interior Journey
Living at the Edge of the World Step Up: To the Man of the House Fremdgegangen - Erzogen zur Hure (German Edition)