Truthful Change

Truthful Change

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  538 ratings  ·  76 reviews
Karl Blake's good at a lot of things: killing bad guys, rescuing hostages...and looting priceless diamonds, but when a bullet ends his career as a mercenary he discovers that he's really bad at living in a huge house with nothing to do. A shy, oddly sexy gardener with an unexpected liking for rough sex seems just what the doctor ordered for his boredom. But Adam's got secr...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Loose Id

LenaLena
Oct 24, 2012 LenaLena rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
First half 4 stars. Second half 1 star. Blergh.

All that beautiful conflict: Relationship rut! Deception! Cheating! Lies! Unwelcome needs! In over your head! Attracted to a BAMF! All that beautiful conflict goes poof! in a big pink sparkly cloud of no-one-gets-hurt-breakups, badasses-turned-into-considerate-saps, auntie-sophie-we-wuv-yous, only-the-bad-guy-gets-hurt-in-the-car-chases, i-was-going-to-give-up-my-job-anyways-so-now-we-can-be-togethers and a fucking FBI agent who turns into a 'brat'...more
Leah
GAH! After the first chapter I had to reread the book blurb to ensure I was reading the right book. I frecking loved the backstory, the suspense and action, it reads like John Woo directed smexin with a lil D/s thrown in ='s SWEET! Awesome read.
Soami
SheReadsALot
Duplicity and Dandelions.

description

Duplicitous Dandelions.

I swear looking at this book's cover makes me smirk even harder. Love it.

Duplicity and Dandelions, you're wondering(WTF)?

This is my second title for "Truthful Change". It's unofficial but it fits.

Aiden is a gay FBI agent, living with his doctor boyfriend, Scott. With Aiden out working undercover a lot and Scott being well a doctor, these two are on different schedules. It seems like different wavelenengths really. Scott's the boring vanilla in A...more
Josh
Capably written. Liked the characters and their conflict (though I felt the latter was under-realized). Found the plot entertaining but for me the story was overwhelmed by the sex. I liked the dynamic very much -- the guy used to being in control finds himself submissive to another -- I thought the sex was well-written and perfectly hot, but it was just too much. I skimmed the last third of the book. Still, I realize that what became tedious for me is probably a major selling point for most.
Truthful Change was a marvy read with a gardening boy, ex military hard bodies and some rough, dirty, garden shed sex. I liked it a great deal, as one can imagine!

I think what these two authors do well is the power dynamic between their characters. How they portray their more submissive boys, like Aiden really resonates. He’s ballsy, clever and incredibly in control of himself, but you get the feeling that despite being in a relationship that there’s a missing something in his life. I also like...more
Kaje Harper
I have to spoiler a lot of this, because there's a plot twist at 15% that really is the basis for the whole story...

(view spoiler)...more
ttg
Overall, I really enjoyed this one. I thought it was a good romantic suspense novel with sympathetic characters and a nice heavy focus on the relationship and its development.

I'm going to put most of this behind a spoiler tag because a big conflict happens early on in the book, but isn't mentioned in the official blurb. I talk about it in my review throughout, so thus, spoiler warnings.

(view spoiler)...more
Wren
Loved these two very hot characters. (A wounded ex-mercenary and an FBI agent)

Spoilers -----

Aiden isn't getting what he needs from his relationship with Scott. When Aiden goes undercover (he's FBI) as Adam, a gardener at Karl's estate, he has sex with Karl - the rough kind he loves. The infidelity aspect might bother some readers if that's a strong dislike. I didn't mind it, and the authors went out of their way to remind the reader that Aiden and Scott's relationship was nearing the end. There...more
Jenre
ElaineY
Shelby P
The prologue confused me. I had to ask myself who is Aiden and Scott because chapter one began with Adam and Karl. When I finally got my answer I was blown away. I like what the authors did there. Usually when books have characters using two names I can get confused at times but I never got confused with Adam and Aiden.

I enjoyed the chemistry between Adam and Karl. The sex was hot and I like it at first. Once Aiden's secret is out of the bag, the sex seems more excessive and not as hot. I really...more
D
TAGS: rough, hot sex, military, ex-mercenary, FBI, deception, murder

Oh, oh, this was gooood. The beginning of the story kinda threw me there. Is this about Aiden and his partner? It didn’t match up for me somehow. As I read on, the story changed. I was like, wait, what just happened? Is it two stories? But after reading more, it finally came together. Woo, it got intense.

Early on it was kinda hard for me to read without wincing knowing that Karl was getting’ his chain yanked and being deceived...more
Mel Bradley
This story is very well written and paced nicely. The book takes place in Texas, mainly at the two homes of the main characters. However, there is plenty of drama, twists/turns and hidden agendas, with surprising action at the end. Although one of the main characters is a retired mercenary, don’t expect a lot of violence throughout, it’s more of a love story and two people learning to work through betrayal, new emotions and love.

The sex at times seems a bit gratuitous, but it’s definitely hot (a...more
Vivian Archer

When doing without isn't good enough.

Tame in comparison to later Davitt and Snow works it still has more than a few bells rung. A good exploration of BDSM from the perspective of two alpha males. The story had a tingle of suspense and the resolution was well done.

Caveat: There maybe one plot element that upsets people--infidelity--if any mention or there is no gray area for you than this book won't work, on the other hand if you are sort of individual who sees a spectrum it won't be an...more
Chris
Very good kinky m/m romance about a retired mercenary who becomes fascinated by his seemingly innocent gardener...
MandyM
Struggled to finish this one. Couldn't connect with the characters.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
don't like cheaters
Ravyn
For me, this book was really about the characters and their romantic and sexual development. I thought the starring couple were great together; their personalities meshed well, and the sex was totally hot. There's also a real feel of new discovery that I enjoyed for the characters portrayed in Truthful Change - discovery of new goals and priorities in their lives as well as sexual discovery. I'm not one to like tons and tons of gratuitous sex, but I really felt like those scenes were well writte...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
I am not very happy with this book and I can't quite figure out why.

One thing that I can say for sure is that I liked the writing. The prologue was a bit stilted, but then the story flowed without problems. The rest? It left me confused and a bit bored.

I couldn't really connect with the characters, I honestly wasn't invested either in their individual well being or in their relationship. Aiden - the undercover agent - was more fleshed out, especially in the beginning, when he had to fake being a...more
Susan65-Coug "Miss Behaving"
3.5 Stars

This story started out a bit confusing because the two guys in the prologue were not the same guys in the beginning of the story. That was just a slight bump since around 15% the plot thickened and all was revealed…and made sense. I was hooked then and liked where it was going. I really enjoyed this a lot until about 55-60%, but then I kind of lost interest and wasn’t able to get it completely back. Karl was an ass, a complete alpha ass but I liked him that way and it fit his character....more
Melissa
Right at this moment, as I've literally just finished this book, I'm feeling emotionally wrecked. This book was so fantastically amazing and I absolutely loved the intense connection that was made between the main characters almost right away but that took so long to simmer into what was essentially the fireworks of the plot.

The tenderness that Karl showed to Aiden while being so rough with him was absolutely beautiful to witness and by the end of the book, I felt like I just *knew* these boys....more
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Loved this one. I liked the characters who were really flawed. The story completely engaged me, the sex was a bit forbidden and rough (I like that). I did think Karl ended up being more of a pushover than he comes off but the relationship between the two I enjoyed. I liked the alpha part of Karl and appreciated his honesty - especially as a contrast to Aiden's situation where so much in his life was dishonest at that point.

I didn't have a problem with the cheating due to the fact the relationsh...more
Td
I had to think about this one. Overall I liked it, but did I really like it? Now I get why sometimes people would like to use half ratings. After some heavy reading I was looking for something a bit lighter and uncomplicated which some of the reviews said it was. Great! This is where I'm conflicted; the building of of the drama and then taking the easy way out. It just broke my little angsty heart. I had to remind myself that's what I wanted, but still... There were some major conflicts like the...more
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
When this book started, I was very confused and even thought my copy was screwed up. The prologue is about Scott and Adam, but the story starts with Karl and Aiden. It didn't take long for things to clear up though, and then it was smooth sailing, if you don't count the actual cheating going on.

I actually really liked no-nonsense Karl. The sex between he and Aiden was super hot with plenty of steamy dirty talk. One of my favorite scenes is where Karl gets Aiden off just by talking to him.

The s...more
Paisley
Sep 25, 2012 Paisley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Paisley by: Katie
I liked this book a lot - and I think I could have really loved it - it was so close to being amazing.
The story was very entertaining, the characters were sexy, fun and had great chemistry together. The sex was hot and sometimes had a bit of an edge to it that was really hot, but it never quite got to the scorching level. It was like there was a tiny piece missing that never got put into place. There was some mild drama - but it was never over the top. I was ready to be taken on a wild ride but...more
Lily

"An ex-mercenary and his young and untried gardener form an unexpected bond. But all is not what it seems as secret lives and dangerous situations bring the two men together in a surprising way. I was intrigued by the blurb and was not disappointed with the story. The writing team of Jane Davitt and Alexa Snow continue to put out well written and entertaining books and I'm looking forward to reading many more of their stories in the future. Highly recommended."

Complete review posted at...more
Paris
Pretty boring stuff. 90% sex. The rest is just water. In Romances you always know the ending - HEA. So ending isn't that important. What important is the story behind the HEA. So when the story is poor the ending doesn't really bring you the happiness that you were looking for. You just don't even care about the HEA for main characters.
The sex scenes are long and also pretty boring, no endge, no fantasy. I wanted to skip them all the time. Only there was nowhere to skip.
A brainless read. I'm gla...more
Trish
maybe 3.75

this started out great, held my interest most of the book. the MC's had chemistry, the plot was good.. not heavily plot oriented but enough to keep the story moving along. the sexy scences were steamy!

and halfway through i thought this may be a 5 star.. but then 75% it just fizzled a bit for me :(

can't tell ya why in this review b/c of spoilers but i also thought the epilogue was never gonna end LOL!

overall it was a good read so i compromised with 4 stars.

Alexandra
Good writing. Likable characters, exciting plot, lots of sex. Too much sex imo, which diluted the tension of the book. But there were enough positives to my reading experience that I'll definitely try another book by Jane Davitt and Alexa Snow!
  • Word on a Wing
  • Inland Empire (Taking the Odds, #2)
  • Love Runes (Gods and Chaos, #2)
  • Gathering Storm
  • Sins of the Father (Angel and the Assassin, #3)
  • The Elegant Corpse
  • The Good Boy (Boy, #1)
  • Domination (Deviations, #2)
  • Uneven
  • Fun With Dick and Shane (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #1)
  • Bad Case of Loving You
  • Alphabet Soup (Alphabet Soup #1, Russian Bear, #2)
  • Hide Out (Private Dicks, #2)
  • Soft Focus
  • A Bit of Rough (Rough, #1)
  • Switch
  • Three Wrong Turns in the Desert (Have Body, Will Guard, #1)
When I was eight I decided to write a book. I found a blank notebook, wrote 'Chapter One' at the start, scribbled a few hundred words about triplets with improbable names, and lost interest. Three decades later I still wanted to write a book, but the dim realization was dawning that meant I had to actually, well, write something.

Yes, it surprised me too.

So I did. Not about triplets, but love, angs...more
More about Jane Davitt...
Bound and Determined Room at the Top (Room at the Top #1) The Square Peg (The Square Peg #1) Wild Raspberries Accidentally In Love

“Boyfriend?” He was smiling slightly.

Karl rolled his eyes. “Not if you’re going to be like that about it.”

“What, happy?” Aiden teased. “You supposed to want your boyfriend to be happy, you know.”

“I want you to be happy,” Karl muttered. “I just don’t want you to be a smug little bastard about it.”
2 likes
“Shit, Karl, you can’t say that in front of a federal agent,” Aiden protested, his eyes wide.

“I’m not. I’m saying it in private to my…” Karl shrugged. “Boyfriend, partner, whatever the hell title you want, if fucktoy’s not acceptable, and I’m guessing it isn’t.”

“It really isn’t,” Aiden said, a warning snap in his voice, “and neither is threatening to kill people.”
1 likes