Start by marking “Truthful Change” as Want to Read:
Truthful Change

Truthful Change

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  660 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Karl Blake's good at a lot of things: killing bad guys, rescuing hostages...and looting priceless diamonds, but when a bullet ends his career as a mercenary he discovers that he's really bad at living in a huge house with nothing to do. A shy, oddly sexy gardener with an unexpected liking for rough sex seems just what the doctor ordered for his boredom. But Adam's got secr ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Loose Id

To ask other readers questions about Truthful Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Truthful Change

SheReadsALot
Duplicity and Dandelions.

description

Duplicitous Dandelions.

I swear looking at this book's cover makes me smirk even harder. Love it.

Duplicity and Dandelions, you're wondering(WTF)?

This is my second title for "Truthful Change". It's unofficial but it fits.

Aiden is a gay FBI agent, living with his doctor boyfriend, Scott. With Aiden out working undercover a lot and Scott being well a doctor, these two are on different schedules. It seems like different wavelenengths really. Scott's the boring vanilla in A
LenaLena
Oct 24, 2012 LenaLena rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
First half 4 stars. Second half 1 star. Blergh.

All that beautiful conflict: Relationship rut! Deception! Cheating! Lies! Unwelcome needs! In over your head! Attracted to a BAMF! All that beautiful conflict goes poof! in a big pink sparkly cloud of no-one-gets-hurt-breakups, badasses-turned-into-considerate-saps, auntie-sophie-we-wuv-yous, only-the-bad-guy-gets-hurt-in-the-car-chases, i-was-going-to-give-up-my-job-anyways-so-now-we-can-be-togethers and a fucking FBI agent who turns into a 'brat'
Vanessa North
At the urging of a friend, I gave this book a try (Thank you, Mostly Delores, for the rec!) in the wee hours of the morning today.

At first, I thought I didn't like it. There was a lot of sex, sure, and I like that in a book because I'm a pervert like that, but I wasn't really keen on the circumstances in which all this hot sex was happening. So, my curiosity was then piqued. I wanted to know how the authors were going to make me believe in an HEA after all that side-eye I gave them early in the
Josh
Capably written. Liked the characters and their conflict (though I felt the latter was under-realized). Found the plot entertaining but for me the story was overwhelmed by the sex. I liked the dynamic very much -- the guy used to being in control finds himself submissive to another -- I thought the sex was well-written and perfectly hot, but it was just too much. I skimmed the last third of the book. Still, I realize that what became tedious for me is probably a major selling point for most.
Leah
GAH! After the first chapter I had to reread the book blurb to ensure I was reading the right book. I frecking loved the backstory, the suspense and action, it reads like John Woo directed smexin with a lil D/s thrown in ='s SWEET! Awesome read.
Soami
Truthful Change was a marvy read with a gardening boy, ex military hard bodies and some rough, dirty, garden shed sex. I liked it a great deal, as one can imagine!

I think what these two authors do well is the power dynamic between their characters. How they portray their more submissive boys, like Aiden really resonates. He’s ballsy, clever and incredibly in control of himself, but you get the feeling that despite being in a relationship that there’s a missing something in his life. I also like
Kaje Harper
I have to spoiler a lot of this, because there's a plot twist at 15% that really is the basis for the whole story...

(view spoiler)
ttg
Overall, I really enjoyed this one. I thought it was a good romantic suspense novel with sympathetic characters and a nice heavy focus on the relationship and its development.

I'm going to put most of this behind a spoiler tag because a big conflict happens early on in the book, but isn't mentioned in the official blurb. I talk about it in my review throughout, so thus, spoiler warnings.

(view spoiler)
Wren
Loved these two very hot characters. (A wounded ex-mercenary and an FBI agent)

Spoilers -----

Aiden isn't getting what he needs from his relationship with Scott. When Aiden goes undercover (he's FBI) as Adam, a gardener at Karl's estate, he has sex with Karl - the rough kind he loves. The infidelity aspect might bother some readers if that's a strong dislike. I didn't mind it, and the authors went out of their way to remind the reader that Aiden and Scott's relationship was nearing the end. There
Jenre
ElaineY
Shelby P
The prologue confused me. I had to ask myself who is Aiden and Scott because chapter one began with Adam and Karl. When I finally got my answer I was blown away. I like what the authors did there. Usually when books have characters using two names I can get confused at times but I never got confused with Adam and Aiden.

I enjoyed the chemistry between Adam and Karl. The sex was hot and I like it at first. Once Aiden's secret is out of the bag, the sex seems more excessive and not as hot. I really
D
TAGS: rough, hot sex, military, ex-mercenary, FBI, deception, murder

Oh, oh, this was gooood. The beginning of the story kinda threw me there. Is this about Aiden and his partner? It didn’t match up for me somehow. As I read on, the story changed. I was like, wait, what just happened? Is it two stories? But after reading more, it finally came together. Woo, it got intense.

Early on it was kinda hard for me to read without wincing knowing that Karl was getting’ his chain yanked and being deceived
Mel Bradley
This story is very well written and paced nicely. The book takes place in Texas, mainly at the two homes of the main characters. However, there is plenty of drama, twists/turns and hidden agendas, with surprising action at the end. Although one of the main characters is a retired mercenary, don’t expect a lot of violence throughout, it’s more of a love story and two people learning to work through betrayal, new emotions and love.

The sex at times seems a bit gratuitous, but it’s definitely hot (a
Vivian

When doing without isn't good enough.

Tame in comparison to later Davitt and Snow works it still has more than a few bells rung. A good exploration of BDSM from the perspective of two alpha males. The story had a tingle of suspense and the resolution was well done.

Caveat: There maybe one plot element that upsets people--infidelity--if any mention or there is no gray area for you than this book won't work, on the other hand if you are sort of individual who sees a spectrum it won't be an
Chris
Very good kinky m/m romance about a retired mercenary who becomes fascinated by his seemingly innocent gardener...
MandyM
Struggled to finish this one. Couldn't connect with the characters.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
don't like cheaters
Ravyn
For me, this book was really about the characters and their romantic and sexual development. I thought the starring couple were great together; their personalities meshed well, and the sex was totally hot. There's also a real feel of new discovery that I enjoyed for the characters portrayed in Truthful Change - discovery of new goals and priorities in their lives as well as sexual discovery. I'm not one to like tons and tons of gratuitous sex, but I really felt like those scenes were well writte ...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
I am not very happy with this book and I can't quite figure out why.

One thing that I can say for sure is that I liked the writing. The prologue was a bit stilted, but then the story flowed without problems. The rest? It left me confused and a bit bored.

I couldn't really connect with the characters, I honestly wasn't invested either in their individual well being or in their relationship. Aiden - the undercover agent - was more fleshed out, especially in the beginning, when he had to fake being a
Susan65
3.5 Stars

This story started out a bit confusing because the two guys in the prologue were not the same guys in the beginning of the story. That was just a slight bump since around 15% the plot thickened and all was revealed…and made sense. I was hooked then and liked where it was going. I really enjoyed this a lot until about 55-60%, but then I kind of lost interest and wasn’t able to get it completely back. Karl was an ass, a complete alpha ass but I liked him that way and it fit his character.
Karen
4.5 stars--Another winner from Ms. Davitt. I read Bound and Determined earlier this week and enjoyed it so much I needed to read more from this author.

While Bound and Determined remains my favorite, this one did not disappoint. I will admit, however, that I was thoroughly confused at the very beginning. I felt like I was reading two separate books. Of course, had I read the description first, that wouldn't have been the case. A quick look at Goodreads and all was fine. In addition, there were s
Melissa
Right at this moment, as I've literally just finished this book, I'm feeling emotionally wrecked. This book was so fantastically amazing and I absolutely loved the intense connection that was made between the main characters almost right away but that took so long to simmer into what was essentially the fireworks of the plot.

The tenderness that Karl showed to Aiden while being so rough with him was absolutely beautiful to witness and by the end of the book, I felt like I just *knew* these boys.
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Loved this one. I liked the characters who were really flawed. The story completely engaged me, the sex was a bit forbidden and rough (I like that). I did think Karl ended up being more of a pushover than he comes off but the relationship between the two I enjoyed. I liked the alpha part of Karl and appreciated his honesty - especially as a contrast to Aiden's situation where so much in his life was dishonest at that point.

I didn't have a problem with the cheating due to the fact the relationsh
Td
I had to think about this one. Overall I liked it, but did I really like it? Now I get why sometimes people would like to use half ratings. After some heavy reading I was looking for something a bit lighter and uncomplicated which some of the reviews said it was. Great! This is where I'm conflicted; the building of of the drama and then taking the easy way out. It just broke my little angsty heart. I had to remind myself that's what I wanted, but still... There were some major conflicts like the ...more
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
When this book started, I was very confused and even thought my copy was screwed up. The prologue is about Scott and Adam, but the story starts with Karl and Aiden. It didn't take long for things to clear up though, and then it was smooth sailing, if you don't count the actual cheating going on.

I actually really liked no-nonsense Karl. The sex between he and Aiden was super hot with plenty of steamy dirty talk. One of my favorite scenes is where Karl gets Aiden off just by talking to him.

The s
Paisley
Sep 25, 2012 Paisley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Paisley by: Katie
I liked this book a lot - and I think I could have really loved it - it was so close to being amazing.
The story was very entertaining, the characters were sexy, fun and had great chemistry together. The sex was hot and sometimes had a bit of an edge to it that was really hot, but it never quite got to the scorching level. It was like there was a tiny piece missing that never got put into place. There was some mild drama - but it was never over the top. I was ready to be taken on a wild ride but
Lily

"An ex-mercenary and his young and untried gardener form an unexpected bond. But all is not what it seems as secret lives and dangerous situations bring the two men together in a surprising way. I was intrigued by the blurb and was not disappointed with the story. The writing team of Jane Davitt and Alexa Snow continue to put out well written and entertaining books and I'm looking forward to reading many more of their stories in the future. Highly recommended."

Complete review posted at
Shannon
Nov 08, 2012 Shannon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shannon by: MandyM
I will have to concur that the first part of the book confused me and I actually went back to the beginning to see if I missed something. That said, I loved this book. I would give a little more that 4 stars actually. I did feel their chemistry throughout the entire book. I loved the rough, gruff Karl and the pain slut Aiden. The sex was super hot and the dirty talking, well, dayum! Anytime a book has a hands-free orgasm with just dirty talk in it, that's an extra star just for fan-inducing hotn ...more
  • Inland Empire (Taking the Odds, #2)
  • The Elegant Corpse
  • Gathering Storm
  • Be Brave (Angel and the Assassin, #2)
  • Word on a Wing
  • Uneven
  • Personal Demons (Gods and Chaos, #3)
  • Hide Out (Private Dicks, #2)
  • Bad Case of Loving You
  • Alphabet Soup (Alphabet Soup #1, Russian Bear, #2)
  • Switch
  • Nowhere Ranch
  • Domination (Deviations, #2)
  • Breaking Logan's Laws (Quinn Security, #4)
  • Magpie (Avian Shifters, #2)
  • Some Kind of Stranger (Blue Ruin, #1)
When I was eight I decided to write a book. I found a notebook, scribbled a few hundred words about triplets with improbable names, and lost interest. Three decades later I still wanted to write a book, but the dim realization dawned that meant I had to actually, well, write something.

Yes, it surprised me too.

So I did. Not about triplets, but love, angst, hot and spicy smut, and for the most part
More about Jane Davitt...
Bound and Determined Room at the Top (Room at the Top #1) The Square Peg (The Square Peg #1) Wild Raspberries (Dan & Tyler #1) Accidentally In Love

“Boyfriend?” He was smiling slightly.

Karl rolled his eyes. “Not if you’re going to be like that about it.”

“What, happy?” Aiden teased. “You supposed to want your boyfriend to be happy, you know.”

“I want you to be happy,” Karl muttered. “I just don’t want you to be a smug little bastard about it.”
2 likes
“Shit, Karl, you can’t say that in front of a federal agent,” Aiden protested, his eyes wide.

“I’m not. I’m saying it in private to my…” Karl shrugged. “Boyfriend, partner, whatever the hell title you want, if fucktoy’s not acceptable, and I’m guessing it isn’t.”

“It really isn’t,” Aiden said, a warning snap in his voice, “and neither is threatening to kill people.”
1 likes