Start by marking “The CarbLovers Diet: Eat What You Love, Get Slim For Life” as Want to Read:
The CarbLovers Diet: Eat What You Love, Get Slim For Life

The CarbLovers Diet: Eat What You Love, Get Slim For Life

3.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  152 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
The editors of Health Magazine (and top nutrition scientists) have big news: Eating carbs is the best way to get and stay slim. Breakthrough research revealed in this book shows how certain carb-rich foods-especially those with the amazing natural ingredient called Resistant Starch-act as powerful metabolism boosters and appetite suppressants. Rather than making you fat an ...more
Published August 3rd 2010 by Oxmoor House

To ask other readers questions about The CarbLovers Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The CarbLovers Diet

Mel
Nov 04, 2014 Mel marked it as to-read
Let's face it, since I live with the newest and most devout disciple of Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat" anti-carb manifesto, when I spotted this book tonight at my local thrift store, I picked it up 1) just to be contrarian and 2) because I really don't think my love of carbs can be rehabilitated, so if there's a way to watch my weight and keep loving carbs, I'm all ears! Oh, look, page 1 says, "Stop eating pie and ice cream all the time." (Okay, it doesn't really say that, but you know that's what ...more
Karen
Mar 04, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
I have PCOS and eating foods using the Glycemic Index as a guide helps keep things under control. The Carb Lovers Diet seems to use the Glycemic Index to its advantage by using foods with resistant starches.I recently went low carb/no carb and tried the South Beach Super Charged Diet with disastrous results. I didn't lose a single pound and felt awful.

There is no quick fix to weight loss. Exercise, healthy eating, smaller portions and the occasional "cheat" day seem to be the best solution for
Andra
Feb 15, 2011 Andra rated it liked it
The title is so misleading and the messages are mixed. The study they quote in the first chapter states that the slimmest people ate the most carbs in the form of whole grains, vegetables and fruit. Big caveat for a booked titled "The Carb Lovers Diet" released in a country where many people are addicted to carb-laden, processed convenience foods.

But it turns out that the book is aimed at people who have been programmed to fear carbs since the Atkin's craze.

The kick start plan is just 1200 calo
Jessica
Mar 07, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
I wasn't as interested in the actual diet plan, but I did like reading the research about resistant starches. It makes a lot of sense in light of all the low carb diets out there. It seems like eliminating entire food groups is a bad idea. But not all carbs are created equal! The recipes have me some ideas, but they didn't look amazing or anything. Perhaps good if you want to cook very simply or don't have a lot of cooking experience.
Kandice
Dec 14, 2010 Kandice rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. After studying various diet and nutrition books for years, I finally found one that I think I can live with. Yes, anyone can lose weight on only 1,200 calories a day which is the goal for the first week. But can you stay on most diets out there for longer than a few weeks to a few months? This diet I believe you can. I was searching for an eating plan that would let me lose a little weight, but more importantly, come up with a healthy eating plan for life. The book give ...more
Rae Novak
Jan 29, 2011 Rae Novak rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves carbs and wants to lose weight.
Easy to understand and it's full of common sense. A long time ago we were told that carbs were bad, this book proves that carbs are necessary. To me it sounds like the GI Diet, but that's a good thing. It's full of easy recipes that don't have you running to specialty stores or using just one ingredient once and never again - like the Biggest Loser 30 Day Jump Start. I think I still have peanut sauce in my fridge that I used once and never again. I know dieting is basically less in, more out, bu ...more
Heather
Sep 12, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
Loving this book! I'm not giving it 5 stars because I don't know how it rates health-wise on fruit/vegetable servings, sodium, etc. But I can tell you I lost 2 pounds in a week without feeling like I was trying - plus my energy is much higher and I'm able to have better workouts too.

If you work out, I would recommend skipping the 7 day, 1200 calorie starter week - it's just not enough food and I thought it a little boring. If you start with the 21-day (around 1600 calories), you'll probably feel
BL834
May 06, 2014 BL834 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Summary: a damn fine plan if you're the person who just needs a little nudge to make healthy meal choices, but nothing in here you probably didn't already know.

* * * *

Yes, I can see how you'll lose weight on this "diet for life". Yes, it does appear to be a healthy mix of foods. Yes, the advice is sound (based on my limited knowledge of dietician recommendations and personal research). Portion control is key, interesting meals are recommended, the right proportions of grains to greens to protei
Jan 16, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
I would have put 4 or 5 stars but I haven't tried all the recipes yet or vowed to the healthier eating plan so I have only lost 2lbs so far and I credit that to my workouts. When I put some real effort in I will let you all know.
Mary
Jul 27, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
Some pretty tasty recipes in here--just getting started on the 7-day part of it before heading into the 21-day bit. Doesn't look too bad (not like some books I've seen). Lots of choices and CARBS. Yahoo!
Mallory
Aug 31, 2011 Mallory rated it liked it
Like so many women trapped in today's societal cycle of "am I good/skinny enough?", I have become jaded by the amount of effort I am told to spend in personal appearances, the amount of money made off of fad diets and the general attitude of needing to be fixed.

This book is different. The first several chapters of this book run through the slew of research that supports what the authors are advocating. Throughout the text, it is repeatedly stated that rather than a quick fix, this particular die
Gina
May 30, 2013 Gina marked it as to-read
Shelves: cookbooks
Website: carblovers.com

Flagged: Page 30 Eat one slightly green banana a day
32-33 Top Starch-Resistant Foods
38 Carb Stars - Bananas, oatmeal, beans & lentils, potatoes, Whole-grain pasta, barley, brown rice, rye & pumpernickel bread, polenta, potato chips
41 Pantry Essentials (Barley, quinoa and beans)
45 Meat & Dairy CLA & Salcium Supplementation
64 Fat-flushing cocktail: 2 qts. (8 cups) brewed green tea, Juice from 1 orange, lemon and lime. Mix all ingredients together in a large p
Jul 19, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
I saw this book being heavily promoted on display at a local store and was intrigued. Even after being diagnosed with Celiac Disease last year, I still consider myself a carb girl. But associating carbs with weight loss or weight maintenance seemed like two things that didn't belong together at all. So when I saw the book at my local library, I decided to see what all the hype was.

There's a lot of circular talk in the beginning trying to establish this method as a prove and effective tool. It is
Sue
Feb 07, 2016 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the concept of this diet because it is realistic. It shows how to eat good "resistant" carbs. It is the first diet I have ever tried that I did not feel hungry on. I feel better eating healthy food. Very easy to stick to. Results are good - I was happy losing 5.5 pounds in the first 2 weeks. The only reason I did not give 5 stars is because the dinner recipes are not easy. They also take twice the time to make than it says in the book. Breakfast and lunch are fine with lots of variety.
Amelia José
Feb 17, 2014 Amelia José rated it really liked it
Quién no amaría comer la comida que le gusta y perder peso al mismo tiempo? A mi me compraron sólo con el título!
Angie crosby
Feb 04, 2012 Angie crosby rated it really liked it
I don't read diet books anymore, only books that when I flip through it seems like a plan I can do long term as in forever otherwise the weight comes back when I stop.

I've lost 80 pounds to date. Although I have not flowed any specific plan it does resemble this o e. I will try to add some of what is in this book and see I like the recipes there are many good ones I would like to try.
Roblyn
Jan 20, 2011 Roblyn rated it liked it
I'm always interested in diet and nutrition books, although I'm not personally a believer in "diets" - most of the time I don't agree with what is said, but I like to read what the latest "research" shows. This book actually has a much more balanced approach to dieting than most, and has some tasty and easy to prepare recipes that I might try out.
Dar B
Dec 23, 2012 Dar B rated it liked it
This book didn't tell me anything that I didn't already know but it helped me validate my arguments for the benefits of carbohydrates. It is written in a very basic and simple style with success stories, kick start plan, diet plan, pantry lists, and recipes. Good book, overall, just not fantastic.
Alisa
Sep 19, 2010 Alisa rated it liked it
ok... I love Carbs.. but this book was interesting. A woman I work with started it and has lost 25lbs on it. The only problem I have is... If you go from eating 3600calories a day to 1200 calories a day.. of corse your going to lose weight!?!
Sarah Housknecht
Sep 22, 2011 Sarah Housknecht rated it really liked it
Highly recommended for anyone who wants to lose weight without feeling deprived or hungry. All about making the right food choices and exercise. Recipes are yummy...my family even likes them. Not rocket science...choose whole grains! Good carbs!
Marti
Aug 24, 2011 Marti rated it did not like it
I lost interest in the author's opinion when they enthused over the fact that unripe bananas have a huge amount of resistant carbs. I don't fancy eating a puckery mouthful of starch and don't feel like trusting anyone who suggests we ought to.
Linda
Jul 26, 2010 Linda added it
This was a very straight forward book about Resistant Carbs. The recipes look very good and easy to prepare. I will be starting the diet tomorrow. If you are looking for something that you can stick with forever this is your book.
Mary
Aug 22, 2010 Mary rated it liked it
Nothing too surprising....healthy portions, choosing whole grains over processed carbs, etc. The science behind carbohydrates' effect on the liver and release of fatty acids was new to me though.
Jacqi
Sep 16, 2010 Jacqi rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010
This was a total joke. Basic food pyramid information combined with cutting calories down to 1,200. Why yes, anyone would lose weight with that idea.
Aug 06, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
So far so good...Lost about 2 pounds and the recipes are tasty and filling! Who knew a banana a would keep the pounds away!?
Rebecca
Sep 20, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, health
Revamping of "How to Lower Your Fat Thermostat" with current data on more food groups that boost health. Smart science.
tirretiipero
Lisa Newton
Oct 31, 2013 Lisa Newton rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent if you are wanting to try a low-carb diet that does not deprive you of carbs altogether.
SJ
Sep 27, 2011 SJ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
very sustainable. not really a diet - more like a shift in healthy eating habits. highly recommend.
Michele M
Jun 05, 2011 Michele M rated it liked it
Quick read; new concept to me-resistant starches which are not metabolized.
Goodreads Librari...: The CarbLovers Diet 4 13 Mar 13, 2014 11:57AM
  • Eat This, Not That!: Restaurant Survival Guide
  • The No-Grain Diet: Conquer Carbohydrate Addiction and Stay Slim for the Rest of Your Life
  • Defending Gary: Unraveling the Mind of the Green River Killer
  • 400 Calorie Fix
  • Eat, Shrink & Be Merry! Great-Tasting Food That Won't Go from Your Lips to Your Hips!
  • The Blood-Type Diet: Your Personalized Diet and Exercise Program
  • Buddha in Your Backpack: Everyday Buddhism for Teens
  • Weight Watchers All-Time Favorites: Over 200 Best-Ever Recipes from the Weight Watchers Test Kitchens
  • Mr. Boston Official Bartender's & Party Guide
  • Waking the Buddha: How the Most Dynamic and Empowering Buddhist Movement in History Is Changing Our Concept of Religion
  • 30-Minute Get Real Meals: Eat Healthy Without Going to Extremes
  • 8 Minutes in the Morning: A Simple Way to Shed Up to 2 Pounds a Week Guaranteed
  • America's Most Wanted Recipes: Delicious Recipes from Your Family's Favorite Restaurants
  • Fallet Thomas Quick: Att skapa en seriemördare
  • 5 Ingredient Fix: Easy, Elegant, and Irresistible Recipes
  • Dr. Feelgood: The Story of the Doctor Who Influenced History by Treating and Drugging Prominent Figures Including President Kennedy, Marilyn Monroe, and Elvis Presley
  • The Eat Right 4 Your Type the complete Blood Type Encyclopedia