Start by marking “Designing for the Social Web, eBook” as Want to Read:
Designing for the Social Web, eBook

Designing for the Social Web, eBook

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  335 ratings  ·  24 reviews
No matter what type of web site or application you're building, social interaction among the people who use it will be key to its success. They will talk about it, invite their friends, complain, sing its high praises, and dissect it in countless ways. With the right design strategy you can use this social interaction to get people signing up, coming back regularly, and br ...more
Published April 7th 2010 by New Riders Publishing (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Designing for the Social Web, eBook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designing for the Social Web, eBook

Mikal
Designing for the Social Web is an engaging look at social behavior. Joshua Porter deftly covers both the anecdotal, insightful and research based insights about the keys to the social web.

This is one of those books where the clarity may in fact hinder it from being taken fully serious. By focusing on a clear approach applicable to practitioners and summarizing as opposed to focusing on the research foundations, the book became more accessible and usable.

Here six years after publication the boo
Amira Salah
The book is just AMAZING. So simple yet so strong. It describes how you can design social websites and it has some great tips. What I loved the most is that Porter describes how people feel and talks a lot about how the website elements affect people's feelings and reactions.
Glenn
In his book, Joshua Porter targets intermediate to advanced designers who already know the basics and are seeking ways to improve their design skills, especially pertaining (but not limited) to social networking oriented sites.

There are two main themes in this book, the psychology of motivation and what he calls the usage lifecycle. As he goes through each design element, he discusses the psychological drivers behind that design element and how you can leverage those drivers. For example, one wa
Neil Lachapelle
This is a really strong overview of Web 2.0 social network design. It dates back to an era when Myspace was dominant, and Facebook was a poor cousin, but it is nonetheless a very useful book. Porter discusses what he calls and AOF approach to design: 1) determine the Activities you want people to be able to do in your social network, 2) define the social Objects that the activities operate on, and 3) choose the Features you will create tools to support, based on the previous two considerations. ...more
Ash Moran
Don't be mislead by the title: Joshua Porter's book is primarily about social psychology and the impact this has on web-based software. Design is the set of considerations you need to need to create the desired behaviour.

The first part of the book is about taking potential users from Unaware (of your app) to Passionate Use, and the stages they pass through to get there.

Porter uses the increasingly standard model of the Social Object - the things people manipulate on a site. This he fits into the
Sofia
Finally, a good book on social media! The last few books I’ve read were all style and no substance, and I was getting weary of even trying new ones, so this was a breath of fresh air. It was actually useful, not just impressive-looking.

Not so much about practical design as it is about psychology applied to making smart choices about your web software, this book touches on many interesting aspects of building online apps and leveraging people’s need to be social. It looks at why people feel the n
Caitlin
Well, first up, this has been the easiest read of any web book I've ever tackled. I *zoomed* through it. And the information is really interesting. Yes, quite a bit of it is common sense; yes, there's some repetition, but I think it's an excellent introduction to how people behave online. It's a book that would be useful not only for people developing social networks, but people attempting to achieve anything online.

It's also - apparently contrary to the title - not just for designers. The desig
Melissa
Short, sweet, and to the point, this book is a great overview of designing software applications for the social web. Porter walks the reader through the various hurdles potential users are presented with, from awareness and sign up to emotional attachment, and he details methods by which designers can minimize those hurdles through effective design.

Using established, high volume examples, such as Amazon, Flickr and YouTube, Porter gives clear reasons for the success of certain software and the
Osamah Islam
One of very few practical, Objective, facts & statistics based book
i highly recommend it
its only issue is being a bit outdated in terms of new social media apps, however core concepts are very useful
Jason Hando
This is an excellent book that covers many of the aspects of web design often forgotten about or not understood by university computer science lecturers and high school computing studies teachers. As a teacher I would use this book in my classroom to inspire students to see the depth of thought that needs to go into modern web design. I also think that teachers setting coursework could do with more of these techniques when curating their content. The Usage Lifecycle in the Introduction could alo ...more
Sabine
While reading the introduction I had a short moment thinking "oh please, not another "social web=twitter, facebook & co" book", after a couple of chapters I realized that this book can be a quite valuable reference for designing social interactions. Joshua continously keeps providing you with tips and hints that sometimes may sound trivial at first, but are often forgot during the design process. This book is quick and easy to read and - although not overwhelmingly inspiring - definitely a g ...more
Scott
Great overview of why and how social networking sites work to build a strong and active userbase. I took notes throughout that either support some of the work that I have in progress or provided new ideas. I've also suggested to higher ups so they have a more detailed understanding of why we're spending time building some of the functionality that we're building. It's heavy on examples and little psychological support; light on technology and details.
Davidkjelkerud
Basically applying social psychology to web app design. Heavy referencing to Cialdini and borrowing some ideas from persuasive technology field as well. Meaty and worthwhile parts on designing sign up and doing funnel analytics.
Brian Gupton
This book is a few years old now, but I'm stroke by how few companies are actually doing these basics around designing for social experiences that Mr. Porter lays out. Every page is chock full of good design nuggets.
Danielle
This book has excellent information. The references are a bit outdated since it was published in 2008, but it's still very useful.
Jodi
not done reading this yet, but learning that psychology is a very important component to compelling website design!
Nicole Califano
fully recommend for those interested in social web communication & social network start-ups
Sjors Timmer
Good book, maybe a bit simplistic, but still a good use of two hours of your life
Lori Grant
A must-read book on product design for knowledge workers and entrepreneurs.
Volkan
Great primer on how social features can enhance the user experience on the web.
Long
This book is great. I will recommend to my friends.
Ben Nevile
Psychology + design = social design
Dawn
good overview of the basics.
Whitney Gibbs
Whitney Gibbs marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Araminta Matthews
Araminta Matthews marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Stepan Zinin
Stepan Zinin marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
  • Designing Social Interfaces
  • Designing Web Navigation
  • Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • A Project Guide to UX Design: For User Experience Designers in the Field or in the Making
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
  • Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web
  • Designing for Interaction: Creating Smart Applications and Clever Devices
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
  • Neuro Web Design: What Makes Them Click?
  • Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to User Research
  • The Principles of Beautiful Web Design
  • A Practical Guide to Designing for the Web
  • Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
Nevada The Joke That We Play On The World Social Web Design Darkness Rising: The Birth of a Hero The Tree of Ruin