Start by marking “Single: The Art of Being Satisfied, Fulfilled and Independent” as Want to Read:
Single: The Art of Being Satisfied, Fulfilled and Independent

Single: The Art of Being Satisfied, Fulfilled and Independent

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Single" is......not a condition to be cured...it's just as natural as being part of a couple. Its wisdom is contagious. Its message is powerful.

...a one-of-a-kind book that speaks a universal language to single women everywhere.

...a sometimes funny, sometimes, touching, and always uplifing collection of true-life experiences and practical wisdom that helps you celebrate yo
Published August 6th 2004 by Adams Media Corporation (first published 2004)

Shevonne
I’ve read other singles book, and they were usually treating being single as a temporary phase. They are “how to meet your mate books” masked as “be happy and single” books. If you are single and want to remain that way temporarily or permanently, you should read this book. The author did a great job of discussing different things that singles have to deal with. I also loved that she included single parents in the book. I think that a lot of the other books I’ve read have also forgotten that the ...more
May
"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is" -Sophia Loren

I decided to read this book because I wanted to know how to appreciate and enjoy my life as a single woman and reading from it, I did. One aspect that Judy Ford emphasizes is in expanding your social circle and being open with anyone you meet, not ostracizing yourself and living with the stigma of the 'people who are single'. You have the ultimate freedom! All in all, amazing read and I can see myself picking this
Ryphna St-John
This is a great "pick-me-up" book that really make me enjoy and love the single life, either I am in a relationship or not! I enjoyed the anecdotes and the stories from both the authors and people she talked too. This book allow you to see things under different angle and to not only "make the best of the situation" but see how precious and awesome the life you have on your own is and can be!
It's a book I will read again and again. It's easy to read and even just skimming through it is enough to
Melissa Banda
Read this book after a horrible 4 year relationship. I was stumped I didn't know how to get back to the "real world" let alone the "single life" this book reminded me that most of my life I've been single & before my relationship I was happy. I would highly recommend this book, I plan on restarting this book this month.
kylajaclyn
I've been through two break-ups already this year, so I was more receptive to this book than I normally am to self-help. Had I read this book in a bitter frame of mind, I would have noted, I'm sure, how trite it can be at times. Instead I underlined passages and lines that gave me new clarity. It's always so hard to pick one self-help book out of the sea that address your specific needs. I went on Amazon with the purpose of looking for books on singledom. This one stood out for the cover and the ...more
Michelle Bodle
As someone who enjoys parts of being single, Ford's book was liberating. It discusses ways to grow in your single-ness and how to approach the cultural pressure of being in a relationship to find happiness.
Negar
As cheesy as it could sometimes be, actually gives an honest and different perspective on a sore topic. This can't be said for most books of this nature.
Samara O'Shea
She won me over with, "Single is not a condition to be cured." Everything after that was gravy.
Shelly
Cute, uplifting, but more focused on adults who are divorced and many chapters on adults with children.
Marsha
I took my time reading this book. There were some sections that didn't really apply to me, but overall it gave some practical advice and examples of how you could change.
Stephany
Struggled with the rating of this book but had to drop down to 2 stars because it was really just "okay." I don't think I was necessarily the target demographic for this but did take away some interesting tidbits to mull over. The book could have used a few more rounds of editing, IMO. Some typos, repetitive words/phrasing, and it just fell very flat in parts.

I found myself skimming the last half and the only reason I finished it was because I paid $9 for the Kindle edition. It never really cap
Ashley
I'd probably give this book a 3.5 if I could. I enjoyed all the inspiration about living a single life from Judy Ford and her own experiences. I feel that this book was aimed more for a bit of a different crowd that I can't relate to - people who are either divorced or widowed, single parents etc. Nonetheless, a lot of great inspiration and motivation for those who are currently single. Side note: I noticed there were a ton of typos in this book.
Megan
I enjoyed this book, I am not going to comment on anything really "smart" about the book. I liked it for what it was, there were no typos which was a good thing. Others can review the book for writing style etc, however, that wasn't the point of reading this book for me. I am happy to see a point of view that provides some insight and encouragement to single people, since society likes to tell people otherwise.

I found it a fun read.
Felicia
There's some really good stuff in here. I like how the author tries to reach out to people of all ages and with various levels of emotional baggage.
On the other hand, I didn't like the "everything happens for a reason" mentality that kept sneaking into otherwise sound advise. There's also a lot of deism that the book would have been better off without.
Lucy
Mar 12, 2008 Lucy added it
Recommends it for: Megan!
haven't actually picked this up again since megz and i started it in the car on the way back from barack in bangor. (been reading a lot of EW, taking home a lot of work) so i haven't finished it - and neither has megan! so don't believe her rating, she's only heard 40 or so pages of it, and i've heard her use a quote from it more than once. :P she loved it!
Mychal
Jun 28, 2007 Mychal rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone living the independent life!
Shelves: myfavorites
This book seems like it would be a typical book for girls who get dumped and are sad...boo hoo...

It is totally the opposite! This book actually focuses on the positive aspects of living an independent life (you can be in a relationship and still be independent!). It will remind you of all the good things about being happy with yourself.
Kate Early
Not exactly a page-turner, but I'm determined to finish it. Basically this middle aged divorcee writes about how great being single is and how we need to embrace it, blah, blah, blah. I think it is making me hate being single even more. :)
Mary Stewart
I was a little skeptical about reading this book, but it was so good. A definite read for any young female. It's a great reminder that single can be great too!
Emily
I couldn't relate to all of the experiences and examples, but overall it was very informative and made me think on a more interpersonal level.
Alyssa
Not much in here of use to me - i guess i'm not the target audience as i don't have kids, nor was i previously married.
Casey Emerson
OMG - The best book I've ever read on finding happiness while being single! Definitely a must-read.
Heather Cozen
Nov 07, 2007 Heather Cozen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: single and coupled ladies
This book reads like an episode of Sex and the City... it's really cool and has great insights!
Kelli
Jul 20, 2007 Kelli rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Women
A must read. Not about being without a partner, about being a partner to yourself. Inspiring.
Tara
Couldn't put this one down, it was very inspiring and helpful.
Steffie Ross
Loved this book..
Relatable funny and just straight to the point
Joy J
I love this book it really has great life lessons for all
Kim
Uplifting and powerful book, excellent read.
K Hawkins
Uplifting and encouraging
mpfrom
Empowering and fun.
  • What Did I Do Wrong?: When Women Don't Tell Each Other the Friendship Is Over
  • Bitches on a Budget: Sage Advice for Surviving Tough Times in Style
  • 20-Something, 20-Everything: A Quarter-Life Woman's Guide to Balance and Direction
  • What I Know Now: Letters to My Younger Self
  • A Place of Yes: 10 Rules for Getting Everything You Want Out of Life
  • It's a Wonderful Lie: 26 Truths About Life in Your Twenties
  • Enlightened Sexism: The Seductive Message That Feminism's Work Is Done
  • Living Alone and Loving It
  • Daughters of the North
  • Have Him at Hello: Confessions from 1,000 Guys About What Makes Them Fall in Love . . . Or Never Call Back
  • Better Single Than Sorry: A No-Regrets Guide to Loving Yourself and Never Settling
  • Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World
  • Quirkyalone: A Manifesto for Uncompromising Romantics
  • The Bounce Back Book: How to Thrive in the Face of Adversity, Setbacks, and Losses
  • The Spiritual Girl's Guide to Dating: Your Enlightened Path to Love, Sex, & Soul Mates
  • Heartburn
  • The Skinny: How to Fit into Your Little Black Dress Forever
  • You Lost Him at Hello: A Saleswoman's Secrets to Closing the Deal with Any Guy You Want
Wonderful Ways to Love a Child Between Mother and Daughter: A Teenager and Her Mom Share the Screts of a Strong Relationship Every Day Love: The Delicate Art of Caring for Each Other Wonderful Ways to Be a Stepparent Getting Over Getting Mad: Positive Ways to Manage Anger in Your Most Important Relationships

“Man’s Search for Meaning,” 0 likes