Start by marking “Two-Headed Poems” as Want to Read:
Two-Headed Poems

Two-Headed Poems

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Published January 1st 1978 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Two-Headed Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two-Headed Poems

Anatha Latshaw
2.5/5 stars. I was kind of disappointed in this collection, but that doesn't mean that there weren't a few that didn't make my heart ache in the right way. (That, and I liked it a lot better than Selected Poems by Oscar Wilde, which got 2 stars, so it didn't feel like it fit into the same category).

Though most of the poems in this collection were less than memorable (or so I felt), the following five stuck with me (listed in order least to most favored):

1. The Man With a Hole in His Throat
2. Yo
Stephanie Kelley
some of these did nothing for me (maybe because i'm not a parent, nor have i ever farmed) but as usual many glimmers of light & some real gems, especially "marrying the hangman" & "the woman who could not live with her faulty heart"
Atwood's poems have a rich density to them that I am not sure I always like. I keep trying her, because sometimes I come across something that really speaks volumes. Reading her though, sometimes feels like I am toiling in mud to find the thing I want. The words sometimes fall into a basket of words accumulating in my body. Sometimes I want lightness and words that float through me, and tremble in the air.
Carly
Aug 17, 2014 Carly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
This was not like the last book of poetry that I read of Atwoods. There weren't as many that hit me hard and make me think, hence the star rating not as high.

But I still love the Atwood!
Allie
I love reading Atwood's poems and thinking about them in relation to the chronology of her novels, which is to say pre-Handmaid's Tale and post. This one was good, but lagged in the middle.
Sebastian
A number of exceptional poems, but I forget which collection of Atwood's poetry I'm reading, her voice begrudging in its consistence.

I won't discount the hard work that went into this collection, however; Atwood's craftsmanship is evident. Nothing feels casual or cast-off, as if she spent decades writing this collection.
Alexa
Overall, this seems like a much more domestic collection then her previous ones, dealing with matters like children, gardening, and cooking. I liked it!
C
All Bread
Emily
Apr 08, 2009 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Atwoood, fans of feminist poetry
Another wonderful collection from Atwood. Some of the poems lost me a bit, but the ones that were flat-out brilliant ("Two-Headed Poem" being a prime example) made up for that.
Amelia
I think I'll stick with Atwood's fiction.
Brooke
So good :)
M - Cloak-Life
M - Cloak-Life marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Mahreen Khan
Mahreen Khan marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Jasonk Kolbrich
Jasonk Kolbrich marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Jon Taber
Jon Taber marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
alex neuro
alex neuro marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Yvonne Raphael
Yvonne Raphael marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Megan Hoover
Megan Hoover marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
AJ
AJ marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Marya
Marya marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Grace Bosley
Grace Bosley marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Karen Wischmann
Karen Wischmann marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
FABClub (Female A...: Two-Headed Poems group discussion 6 3 May 17, 2015 11:54AM
  • In the Pines
  • The Road In Is Not the Same Road Out: Poems
  • We Are All Good If They Try Hard Enough
  • Book of Mercy
  • Primitive Mentor
  • Trilogy: The Walls Do Not Fall / Tribute to the Angels / The Flowering of the Rod
  • Glossolalia
  • E-mails from Scheherazad
  • Wood
  • Uncollected Poems
Margaret Atwood was born in 1939 in Ottawa and grew up in northern Ontario, Quebec, and Toronto. She received her undergraduate degree from Victoria College at the University of Toronto and her master's degree from Radcliffe College.

Throughout her writing career, Margaret Atwood has received numerous awards and honourary degrees. She is the author of more than thirty-five volumes of poetry, childr
More about Margaret Atwood...
The Handmaid's Tale Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1) The Blind Assassin The Year of the Flood (MaddAddam, #2) Alias Grace