Two-Headed Poems

Two-Headed Poems

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Published January 1st 1978 by Simon & Schuster

Anatha Latshaw
2.5/5 stars. I was kind of disappointed in this collection, but that doesn't mean that there weren't a few that didn't make my heart ache in the right way. (That, and I liked it a lot better than Selected Poems by Oscar Wilde, which got 2 stars, so it didn't feel like it fit into the same category).

Though most of the poems in this collection were less than memorable (or so I felt), the following five stuck with me (listed in order least to most favored):

1. The Man With a Hole in His Throat
2. Yo...more
Atwood's poems have a rich density to them that I am not sure I always like. I keep trying her, because sometimes I come across something that really speaks volumes. Reading her though, sometimes feels like I am toiling in mud to find the thing I want. The words sometimes fall into a basket of words accumulating in my body. Sometimes I want lightness and words that float through me, and tremble in the air.
Sebastian
A number of exceptional poems, but I forget which collection of Atwood's poetry I'm reading, her voice begrudging in its consistence.

I won't discount the hard work that went into this collection, however; Atwood's craftsmanship is evident. Nothing feels casual or cast-off, as if she spent decades writing this collection.
C
Footnote to the Amnesty Report on Torture
The Woman Makes Peace With Her Faulty Heart
All Bread
Emily
Apr 08, 2009 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Fans of Atwoood, fans of feminist poetry
Another wonderful collection from Atwood. Some of the poems lost me a bit, but the ones that were flat-out brilliant ("Two-Headed Poem" being a prime example) made up for that.
Amelia
I think I'll stick with Atwood's fiction.
Brooke
So good :)
Maxine
Maxine marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Ornella
Ornella marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Miranda Shakes
Miranda Shakes marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Lourdes
Lourdes marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
C A
C A marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Margaret Atwood was born in 1939 in Ottawa and grew up in northern Ontario, Quebec, and Toronto. She received her undergraduate degree from Victoria College at the University of Toronto and her master's degree from Radcliffe College.

Throughout her writing career, Margaret Atwood has received numerous awards and honourary degrees. She is the author of more than thirty-five volumes of poetry, childr...more
More about Margaret Atwood...
The Handmaid's Tale Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam Trilogy, #1) The Blind Assassin The Year of the Flood (MaddAddam Trilogy, #2) Alias Grace