Start by marking “Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassioncompassion” as Want to Read:

The blockbuster best seller Primal Leadership introduced us to "resonant" leaders--individuals who manage their own and others' emotions in ways that drive success. Leaders everywhere recognized the validity of resonant leadership, but struggled with how to achieve and sustain resonance amid the relentless demands of work and life. Now, Richard Boyatzis and Annie McKee pro ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Harvard Business School Press

To ask other readers questions about Resonant Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resonant Leadership

Apr 21, 2015 Shaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was really quite an amazing book. It was so honest and addressed things that most business books don't talk about, compassion, hope and mindfulness. But this book is so much bigger than the title suggests. I had no idea I would love this book so much but this has quickly become one of the favorite leadership books I have read. Highly recommend.
Justin Jaeger
Nov 03, 2011 Justin Jaeger rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People wanting to convince others that vacation increases productivity
Recommended to Justin by: Tony Cadena
Shelves: read-for-school
This is a self-help book for people in charge of things. I read it for a Leadership Effectiveness and Development course in my MBA program. The major issue I have with it is that its recommendations are vague and left without conclusion. To paraphrase, much of the book is about the need for leaders to de-stress with "renewal." Although, Boyatzis and McKee reiterate multiple times that your traditional happy places are not de-stressful enough if you are forced to endure a leader's "sacrifice synd ...more
Apr 26, 2014 sillimant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book is a good starting place to develop skills, goals, and self awareness to create balance and fight burnout. I liked the backing up of claims with data and research they did. I think some key themes are very valuable and it is worth reading to find the parts that help you think about balance in your own life. My critique is that there are many more corporate examples than everyday ones and I think it could benefit from adding more smaller scale local examples. This would help p ...more
Nov 11, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful. This book explains that leaders need to build resonance within their teams, not dissonance. To foster one's ability to CONSISTENTLY maintain resonance & CONSISTENTLY be compassionate toward others, leaders must take care of themselves. It is so logical that leaders are lulled into sacrificing themselves for their jobs, goals, etc. However,that only leads to failure. In your leadership role, don't feel guilty about sharpening your own saw.

Practical take on emotional intelligence for traditional leaders. Best quote, "leaders who pay attention to the whole self--mind, body, heart, and spirit--can literally be quicker, smarter, happier, and more effective than those who focus too narrowly on short-term success" (p. 74).
Ryan Scicluna
It is a good book with very useful advice. The Examples and Theory sounds easy enough. In order to truly make use of such book one must practice being a leader. This book also includes exercies one can do to guage his leadership skills.

Suggested Further Reading:

Primal Leadership: Realising the Power of Emotional Intelligence Daniel Goleman
The NTL Handbook of Organizational Development and Change Annie McKee and Frans Johnston
Winning the Service Game Benjamin Schneider and David Bowen
A General Th
Al Young
Oct 03, 2013 Al Young rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An interesting thought for a business book- How do leaders fight burnout? As with most business books, I don't think the objective is to give you the answers but to facilitate good discussion about the subject.

I think that this generally does that. It's a subject that you don't always think about. it draws heavily on a few concepts you might already be aware of- Servant Leadership and What color is your Parachute? to name two. Important stuff, but again, nothing new.

That said, I am hesitant to
Angelique Scharine
This book really "resonated" with me. I want to reread it again in a year or so, as I think that it has some messages that I need to hear and re-hear. Probably the most important message is that you need to build relationships with other people, your family, your co-workers, etc. When stresses and crises occur, this is the time to rely on those relationships and attack problems head on. Many people fail when they withdraw and deny problems. Good leaders succeed because of how they work with othe ...more
Feb 06, 2010 Bank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful book about leadership. And the kind of leaders we all wish we had , but rarely experience. : Coaching people for their development/ benefit as opposed to the organization's or the leader's benefit.
Think of the people who helped you most in your life and career; the ones who you can say without this person , i would not be the person i am today. This book perhaps captures the magical quality of those people.
This book offered a few more insights than some. The central premise is that effective leaders find ways to renew themselves mentally, physically, intellectually, and spiritually by their mindfulness of their own needs and those of others, their ability to remain optimistic and inspire hope, and the compassion they show for colleagues. The appendix contains some exercises readers can complete to learn more about their own leadership philosophies and styles.
I read this as part of a course on Coaching a Culture of Leadership at Case University in the Spring of 2006. The course and book were affirming of the many beliefs about leadership I had formed over 20 years. I searched for a course to help myself and others adopt a formal process of leadership development for a 21st century company.
Tom Buratovich
Jan 10, 2015 Tom Buratovich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book but one that is almost inaccessible to me. Not in the writing but the lofty achievements are left with the sense of how to become that kind of person. It is a little short on method. There are many things to do but little to get to do the rhythm of character change.

It is very well written and very helpful.
Oct 17, 2014 Bethany rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This book is probably fine; but it wasn't what I thought it was, it wasn't what I WANTED it to be, and it was generally "meh." There wasn't anything that I read here that I thought was surprising or even really compelling.
Aug 23, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who leads people
Recommended to Linda by: Goodreads
Loved this one. It gave such good examples on how to become a resonant leader.

Renewal an important part of leadership especially when feeling as if you are sacrificing too much.

Practice mindfulness , Hope and compassion.
Mindfulness, hope and compassion are important for leadership. Boyatzis explains the how and why extraordinarily thoroughly. Some of the exercises were helpful, while others seemed redundant. Overall, I appreciated the concept, but it could have been much more concise.
Nov 24, 2010 Randall rated it really liked it
A great follow up to Primal Leadership and a lot more practical, allows the reader to experiment with exercises in trying to develop leadership skills. Clear and concise, focuses more in why leaders fail and how to keep track, and less in the the Emotional Intelligence model like the previous book.
Tim L
Nov 13, 2011 Tim L rated it it was ok
Read for lead class first semester at Willamette. Seems overly optimistic to me and unrealistic at times. I like the ideas of continual renewal though.
Devin Partlow
I felt like too much time was spent on the crisis of the people included in the book rather than renewing one's self.
Roberto Yanguas
Jun 07, 2015 Roberto Yanguas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a great book, but you'll get to understanding much better after taking the (amazing) course on "Leadership with emotional intelligence" by Richard Boyatzis in Coursera.
Mar 01, 2010 ACRL added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: motw
Read by ACRL Member of the Week Gerald Holmes. Learn more about Gerald on the ACRL Insider blog.
Bjørn Peterson
Mindfulness, hope, and compassion are all of great interest to me. This book still lacks insight and depth for me.
Sandra Otto
Sandra Otto rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2013
Shelley rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Kmccann rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2012
Hsuanhua Chang
Hsuanhua Chang rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2014
Werner rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Fahad rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Keith rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2014
Jose-luis Gomez
Jose-luis Gomez rated it really liked it
May 12, 2014
Novi Nurrakhmat
Novi Nurrakhmat rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2015
  • Becoming a Resonant Leader: Develop Your Emotional Intelligence, Renew Your Relationships, Sustain Your Effectiveness
  • Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Revolution in Change
  • Deep Change: Discovering the Leader Within
  • The Leader's Checklist: 15 Mission-Critical Principles
  • Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: No Schedules, No Meetings, No Joke--the Simple Change That Can Make Your Job Terrific
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • Leaders Open Doors: A Radically Simple Leadership Approach to Lift People, Profits, and Performance
  • Overcoming Fake Talk: How to Hold Real Conversations That Create Respect, Build Relationships, and Get Results
  • Icons and Idiots: Straight Talk on Leadership
  • It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business is Driven by Purpose
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • A Team of Leaders: Empowering Every Member to Take Ownership, Demonstrate Initiative, and Deliver Results
  • Can't Buy Me Like
  • Redesigning Leadership
  • Leadership and the Art of Struggle: How Great Leaders Grow Through Challenge and Adversity
  • The Future of Management
  • Nothing Is Impossible: 7 Steps to Realize Your True Power and Maximize Your Results
  • SmartTribes: How Teams Become Brilliant Together
Richard E. Boyatzis is a professor in the organizational behavior, psychology, and cognitive science departments of Case Western Reserve University and in the human resources department of ESADE. Using his Intentional Change Theory (ICT) and complexity theory, he continues to research sustained, desired change at all levels of human endeavor: individuals, teams, organizations, communities, countri ...more
More about Richard E. Boyatzis...