Start by marking “The Silverado Squatters” as Want to Read:
The Silverado Squatters
Read Book* *Different edition

The Silverado Squatters

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In July of 1879, Robert Louis Stevenson received word that his future wife's divorce was almost complete but she was seriously ill. Dropping everything he left Scotland and traveled to Monterey in California.

Pennyless, in broken health, and his writing career in tatters he was nursed back to health by his doctor, his nurse, and his furture wife. His father then provided hi
Published November 15th 2000 by Quiet Vision (first published 1883)

To ask other readers questions about The Silverado Squatters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silverado Squatters

James M.
A most interesting honeymoon, spent in an old mining camp, on Mount Saint Helena in California, Stevenson rarely mentions his new wife. He does a remarkable job in fleshing out the other characters in his tale, including an odd "respectful anti-semitism" no doubt fashionable in that time, and some curious thoughts and bright observations of the fellow inhabitants of the mountain. Most impressive are his physical depictions of the the mountain: the fog rolling in, like a great andulivian flood, w ...more
Bobby Lajayjay
Honestly I do not believe this story deserves such a low rating as three stars. Nonetheless I have given such an appraisal simply because the story was uninteresting to me.
Robert Louis Stevenson's writing is amazing, and flows with something like a poetic air. However, the tale he wove with these words was less than intriguing.
It took me quite awhile to slog through and I dearly hope I do not have to read it again.
Ali Skiera
I think it helped that I was able to purchase a copy from the RLS museum during my vacation to California... and read while lounging poolside and basking in the sun... right after checking out the Nappa Valley. It was the perfect read in the perfect setting>
Snow Ford
a nice little novella of Stevenson's rustic honeymoon on a mountain above Calistoga in a deserted mining camp. I chose this book because I wanted to read a story with my boys that had mellifluous writing, with more complex vocabulary but was still accessible. This was a good choice, since we had familiarity with "A Childs Garden of Verses" and "Treasure Island", and the local tie in. Each chapter is a little vignette, making it a good choice for bedtime. It was a delight to read aloud, with lang ...more
Jori Richardson
Dec 07, 2012 Jori Richardson rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Robert Luis Stevenson or those interested in the Californian Napa Valley
Shelves: books-owned, travels
I came across this little book in the dollar bin of a used bookstore, and was intrigued because I had never heard of this particular manuscript by Stevenson.
Basically, it is a simple, concise collection of various portraits of scenery, all located in the California mountains around Napa Valley. The descriptions were charmingly pastoral. However, after a little while all the descriptions of houses, valleys, and mountains seem to merge and become all one and the same.
Extremely repetitive.
Hope
I thought that this would be a fun book to read because we had gone to the Petrified Forest in CA where Robert Louis Stevenson had been and this book had been written about his account there. But, I forgot that the auther was Scottish and a poet and I really didn't like the way he wrote. I had a hard time following his writings as he jumped around so much. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone unless they like the writings of Robert Louis Stevenson.
Paul Jellinek
Written at about the same time as "Treasure Island," his breakthrough classic, this little book is not one of Stevenson's best by any means, but it gives you a sense of the man and what his life was like at the time, and it does contain some beautiful writing, both about the Calistoga-Napa Valley section of California in the 1880's and about some the people who lived there.
Truitti
If you read this, remember that this was about 1870. I DEFFINATELY would not want to be part of settling the west. Living like this doesn't appeal to me at all. LOL Give me a bathroom and round up anytime !! I am still not sure if Stevenson was being a bigot or just describing people's backgrounds. BUT I am now researching to see if Silverado is still in Calif.
Marley
I delightful little gem from Roberet Lewis Stevenson--an account of his honeymoon in the more-or-less ghost town of Silverado. I got a little tired ofhis descriptions of the landscape and natural wonders (I know!), but they are beautifully written. Of more interest to me were the people he met along the way. Real characters. This should be a classic travel book.
Noran Miss Pumkin
Jun 09, 2008 Noran Miss Pumkin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: travel reader
Recommended to Noran by: locals
Shelves: classic
this was my first travel read,The Petrified Forest of Calistoga, California is the basis of this story. this started my life long habit of travel reads. it was an exciting read for a young lady that had never been more than 75 miles away from home, nor flown before. nor traveled without her parents before either. so my rating maybe a little off.
Catherine
A memoir by the famous author about the brief period he and his new bride lived in an abandoned house near an abandoned silver mine just ten miles or so from Calistoga, California. I've heard about it for years. It was good to finally read it and get the impressions of the area of someone from that long ago.
Edward Weiner
Enjoyed this because I am so familiar with the Napa Valley. Interesting descriptions of Napa Valley in the late 19th century. RLS wrote this before he wrote any of his more famous books. Kind of fun. Short and Sweet.
Alicia
This book has been on my list for awhile. It's very short and provides interesting historical context for Napa Valley in the 1880s. It's also fairly racist and not particularly polished - more of a collection of diary entries from the period.
Allison
RLS's notes about he and his family living in Silverado CA to escape the San Fran. fogs. Good descriptions but seems like there should be more to the book.
Jim
Book #1 in my 3-book 'Road Books' list along with 'On the Road' by Jack Kerouac and 'The Road' by Jack London.
LP
Robert Louis Stevenson is one of the most compassionate and humorous writers it's been my pleasure to read.
Tamy
Tamy marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Wayne
Wayne marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Kpcoleman
Kpcoleman marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Joshua Rigsby
Joshua Rigsby marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Mitch
Mitch marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Ahmed Ibrahim
Ahmed Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
  • In the Heart of the Rockies: A Story of Adventure in Colorado
  • Pictures from Italy
  • Wonderful Adventures of Mrs. Seacole in Many Lands
  • Imagination in Place
  • The Last Days of Louisiana Red
  • Meaning at the Movies: Becoming a Discerning Viewer
  • Women Travelers: A Century of Trailblazing Adventures, 1850-1950
  • The Complete Stalky and Co.
  • A vida aventurosa de Jack London
  • O My America!: Six Women and Their Second Acts in a New World
  • Autocrat of the Breakfast Table
  • Italian Hours
  • Eothen
Robert Louis (Balfour) Stevenson was a Scottish novelist, poet, and travel writer, and a leading representative of English literature. He was greatly admired by many authors, including Jorge Luis Borges, Ernest Hemingway, Rudyard Kipling and Vladimir Nabokov.

Most modernist writers dismissed him, however, because he was popular and did not write within their narrow definition of literature. It is o
More about Robert Louis Stevenson...
Treasure Island The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror Kidnapped (David Balfour, #1) A Child's Garden of Verses

“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” 292 likes