Start by marking “Selected Poems” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  1,458 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1928)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems

Joseph
Dec 12, 2015 Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Thomas Hardy the author of such classic novels as The Return of the Native and Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Thomas Hardy (1840–1928) was also a great poet. His lyricism, subtlety, depth, and variety have earned him a significant place in the ranks of modern English poets.

Not a critique of Hardy as much as the book itself. Hardy's poetry is easily recognized as "classical" poetry. There is a lyrical quality that took me back to English literature class in college. However, the reading is easier wit
Halima
Aug 26, 2016 Halima rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"You love not me,
And love alone can lend you loyalty;
- I know and knew it."

5 DESPAIRING-OVER-MY-LOST-LOVERS-STARS

The mere mentioning of Hardy's name alongside poetry conjures whirlwinds of heart-rendering, soul-baring and brutally honest poetic verse. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this collection of his selected works. For the most part I was scribbling away; annotating every symbol, message and poetic technique used...it was really fun. (I know, sad case alert, someone call the Arkham Asy
Mike Lindgren
Jan 12, 2012 Mike Lindgren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
A stunning, life-altering revelation. I had been aware since my undergraduate days of Hardy's second career as a poet -- one of the strangest in the history of English letters -- and the nearly fanatical devotion he engendered among readers of a certain stripe, without ever having made the effort to penetrate the mystery of his verse. The wait has been richly rewarded. As many other critics have noted, Hardy wrote some of the weirdest verse imaginable; Robert Mezey, in his cheerleader-ly introdu ...more
Nicole
Dec 06, 2007 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like poetry and or Hardy's novels
I know a little too much about Thomas Hardy, thanks to a college seminar on his life and work. It's my humble opinion that some of Hardy's poetry is genius, like Neutral Tones. Much of his poetry is heavy with regret, memory, bleakness, mourning, and lots of other profound emotions. There are some happier poems, but don't read Hardy for a pep talk on love or human nature.

I am particularly drawn to his poetry about war (what my senior paper was all about), and recommend you read "Poems of War and
Kris - My Novelesque Life
SELECTED POEMS
(Dover Edition)
Written by Thomas Hardy
2015, 103 Pages
Genre: poetry, classics

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)

I really enjoyed this collection of Thomas Hardy's poetry. I like that while it has great imagery it is easy to understand (or at least I think it is). One of my favourite poems is HER INITIALS. I just love the words used in it.

k (My Novelesque Life)
Wayne McCoy
Jan 21, 2016 Wayne McCoy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleased to be able to read 'Selected Poems' by Thomas Hardy (edited by Robert Mezey). I was aware that he had written poems but I don't think I'd had the chance to read any.

Hardy wrote more than 900 poems, which seem like a pretty overwhelming place to start, so this is a good selection since there are sixty-nine presented here from a variety of time over his career from 1898 to 1917. These are solid poems and probably not the sort of collection that should be read straight through. There
Nancy
Dec 31, 2015 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Modern Poetry our professor taught poems by Thomas Hardy (1840-1928), including Channel Firing In The Time of 'The Breaking of Nations," and Neutral Tones. They were not poems I forgot, and I have forgot most of what we read that semester.

Many know Hardy's novels because of the films based on them. Hardy was unable to publish his poems until his novels brought fame and financial security. He wrote 900 poems over his lifetime and 14 novels.

The poems in the Dover Thrift edition include selecti
Bob Nichols
Many of these poems were straightforward. They could be read without a struggle. With Hardy, as with his novels, it’s a taste thing. There’s a lot about death and the somber side of life; there’s the quietly piercing observations about human nature.

A favorite poem in this collection was “The Church”:

"And now to God the Father", he ends,
And his voice thrills up to the topmost tiles:
Each listener chokes as he bows and bends,
And emotion pervades the crowded aisles.
Then the preacher glides to the v
Alice Lippart
An enjoyable collection. Definitely found some new favorites!
Pierre
Apr 23, 2013 Pierre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whilst no one could doubt Hardy's importance as a novelist, it seems that many modern readers forget that he was also an excellent poet. At times strange, at others formal and traditional, there's always a unique beauty to many of his poems. I highly recommend the Penguin Classics edition of his 'Selected Poetry', edited by Robert Mezey. Mezey's unabashed love and admiration of Hardy makes reading his poetry all the more enjoyable.

AFTERWARDS BY THOMAS HARDY

When the Present has latched its post
Ed
Feb 25, 2010 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
While I haven't actually finished this book, one is never really done with a book of poetry. This is a decent collection with all the "Poems of 1912-1913" from "Satires of Circumstance" included.

Hardy as a poet is very different from Hardy as a novelist, the way most of us know him. His poems are almost invariably short, some are beautifully ambiguous, others as direct and clear as lightning across the night sky, a few are playful ("The Ruined Maid"). A few are famous, like "Channel Firing" and
Gregory Knapp
Jul 05, 2013 Gregory Knapp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
One of the great poets in English -- but definitely a "glass half-empty" sort of guy.

The jacket copy for the Oxford World's Classics paperback puts it nicely: "His verse touches all the common themes of existence: birth, childhood, love, marriage, ageing, death. If his age brings anything to them, it is an old man's ironic, elegiac sense that hopes are likely to be defeated and losses sustained, and that the world was not designed for human happiness."

Well . . . that's certainly one point of vi
Patrick Gibson
Apr 14, 2011 Patrick Gibson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This is my second volume of Hardey's poems. I picked it up because it contains a few not published previously. I love Hardey's novels and his poetry has the same Victorian wordiness. Never boring. Often full of subtext he was unable to overtly expose in his day.

"Between us now and here—
Two thrown together
Who are not wont to wear
Life’s flushest feather—

Who see the scenes slide past,
The daytimes dimming fast,
Let there be truth at last,
Even if despair.

So thoroughly and long
Have you now known me,
So
Thomasin
I can't believe I'm giving a book of poetry -Thomas Hardy's poetry!- 5 stars, but there you go. This is an excellent anthology with a very useful intro by Robert Mezey.

I'd believed the undeserved gossip about Hardy's verse and how he falls far below adequate in skill and topic. False. It's all lies and foolishness, those criticisms. These were amazing poems that kept me focused - pencil in hand to make notes and underline passages - during my bus rides to and from the office. I, under-caffeinat
Lucy
Oct 21, 2015 Lucy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Oh, the opal and the sapphire of that wandering western sea"...how could anyone not love Hardy's poems? "And the May month flaps its glad green leaves like wings"...the most personal of poets.
Robby Hunter
May 17, 2016 Robby Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
just lovely.
Michelle Kidwell
by Thomas Hardy

Dover Publications

Poetry

Pub Date Dec 16, 2015

I was given a copy of Selected Poems by Thomas Hardy through the Publisher and there partnership with Netgalley in exchange for my honest review which is as follows:

This book shows that Thomas Hardy not only had talent as a Novelist but a poet as well. His talent shines through in the poems in this collection.

I give this collection of poetry five out of five Stars

Happy Reading…
Steve
Jan 18, 2009 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I got curious about Hardy's poetry after a discussion on Slate regarding the poem, The Darkling Thrush. Hardy's definitely a melancholic poet, most concerned with the darker, bleaker side of life, and writes beautiful poems in that manner. It's been too long since I last read a poet who uses established meter and rhyme, let alone a poet who employs them so well. There's much to ponder over in reading Hardy's work and I found this book to be a good introduction.
Christopher Boerdam
Thomas Hardy was a prolific poet, and wading through his collected works would take a lot of time and dedication. Paulin's selection is a perfect introduction to Hardy's work, and I am grateful to have someone do all the hard work for me. Paulin has kept the Hardy favourites, but also included some amazing poems I have never encountered before. I would be surprised if anyone finished this selection without having formed the conviction that Hardy was a master of his craft.
Eileen Hall
I have read many, if not all of of Hardy's novels, but I didn't know of his poetry.
All are beautifully written and each one tells a story.
I especially love the Darkling Thrush.
I was given a digital copy of this book by the publisher Dover Publications via Netgalley in return for an honest unbiased review.
Meri
Jul 28, 2016 Meri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 out of 5 stars
Erika RS
Oh how I love Thomas Hardy's writing! I just finished reading Selected Poems, a book I had picked up at a little museum in Dorsetshire during a trip for the class I took on Dickens and Hardy. I had read some of the poems before, but never all through. Hardy does an excellent job of describing various aspects of life. He manages to do this in a rhythm I understand, something not all poetry does.
Mona Desai
Mar 26, 2007 Mona Desai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: staplesofmylife
Hardy is better known for his novels, but quickly became my favorite poet upon my first exposure to him in this compilation in a class my freshman year at Pomona. Soem poems touch upon a personal level, others just reach me for some inexplicable reason, and all are beautifully written. Hardy more than any poet has influenced my writing, and this compilation is a great introduction to his work.
Caroline
I read this collection in college and have kept it all these years. I really prefer Hardy's poetry to his prose. The story goes that he was a poet who wrote novels to make money to pay for his wife's mental illness, etc. The poetry is lovely, written in the latter part of his life, and mostly about his then-deceased wife.
Taylor
Aug 26, 2013 Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent selection of Hardy's work. Balancing both the dark and the light sides of the emotions. Hardy cuts deep in an way that makes it hard to put down, it draws you in and touches you with a chilling sadness and depth of emotion. Classic Hardy. Love this book. Hate this book. It depresses and inspires me.
Lia
Dec 19, 2008 Lia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-reader
Hardy's poems are really a mixed bag for me. Some of them are wonderful. Some don't really work. When I was a student, I read that the reason he wrote poetry in his later years was because of the violent reception of Jude the Obscure (it was publicly burned by many a religious zealot).
eliza
Hardy's verse takes shit but I wouldn't change him. However I DO think he may have killed his wife, give the deeply redundant and eulogistic Tell Tale Heart-esque paranoia about his lyrical grieving...
Teri
Apr 04, 2012 Teri marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Teri by: Natasha Solomons
Shelves: to-read-fiction
It looks like this edition contains the poems from 1912-1913. If I am not mistaken, those are what are referred to as the Emma poems. The author Natasha Solomons mentioned those as favorites.
Marc Latham
Some nice poems, thoughts and references, but seem a little dated for my tastes.

My favourite was the last one 'The Whitewashed Wall', which struck home on first reading.
S.j. Hirons
Aug 12, 2007 S.j. Hirons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He's like one of those elderly relatives of whom you say, "He's a miserable git, but that's why we love him".
'The Convergence Of The Twain' remains one of my favourites.
  • Selected Poems
  • Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions)
  • Selected Poetry
  • Selected Poetry of William Wordsworth
  • The Complete Odes and Epodes
  • Poetry, Drama and Prose
  • Selected Poems, 1966-1987
Thomas Hardy, OM, was an English author of the naturalist movement, although in several poems he displays elements of the previous romantic and enlightenment periods of literature, such as his fascination with the supernatural. He regarded himself primarily as a poet and composed novels mainly for financial gain. The bulk of his work, set mainly in the semi-fictional land of Wessex, delineates cha ...more
More about Thomas Hardy...