Start by marking “I'm Still Scared: The War Years (26 Fairmount Avenue, #6)” as Want to Read:
I'm Still Scared: The War Years (26 Fairmount Avenue, #6)

I'm Still Scared: The War Years (26 Fairmount Avenue #6)

First-grader Tomie experiences uncertainty in the weeks following the attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941. What are the grown-ups talking quietly about at home and even at school? Why does his class have to go to the spooky furnace room for an air raid drill? Why does the family hang thick black curtains on the windows? Tomie’s mother is there to comfort and explain t ...more
Published February 16th 2006 by Putnam Juvenile (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about I'm Still Scared, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Still Scared

Luann
Jan 17, 2012 Luann rated it really liked it
I continue to be impressed with Tomie dePaola's detailed memories of his childhood. I was interested to learn in his note at the end that he had some help from home movies that his parents took. Still, the level of detail shown in this series is impressive - and even more so because they are simply and clearly written and perfect for young children. It's as if he is able to completely put himself back into the role of young Tomie.

This book is particularly powerful because it takes place from the
Lisa
Feb 27, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-kids-books
I really liked this book because it tells real life historical events in ways that a child can relate to and not be scared to explore. I read this with my 3rd grader, and while the reading level is very easy for him, the content, the themes explored, the historical background, was very appropriate for his age. Lovely.
Brett
Jan 09, 2010 Brett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really captures what it was like to experience the start of WWII as a young child. Fascinating, & as always, with fantastic illustrations.
Kristin
May 18, 2008 Kristin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
dh is reading this aloud to the younger ones at bedtime.
We have read nearly all the books in this series and love them. Tomie DePaola is one of our all time favorite authors.
Patricia
Jul 29, 2014 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sixth book in the series. Tomie begins writing on the day of the attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941. He and his family went to Mass that next Monday morning, before school, and recited the Prayer for Peace. When they got to school, all any of the kids talked about was how things will never be the same.

At school, amidst the hot, wet wool smell of mittens drying on the radiators, there was an assembly. After they recited the Pledge of Allegiance, it was announced that school was
Josiah
Mar 16, 2010 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Whereas the events of the book that preceded this one, Things Will Never Be the Same, quickly shuffled through the paces of an entire year on 26 Fairmount Avenue, I'm Still Scared covers only the span of a single month: December 1941, right after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor that brought the United States into the mix of World War II.

Young Tomie really doesn't know much about what it means to be in a war. Is his family in imminent danger where they are, just living in their own house? I
Amanda
This book is about a boy named Tomie dePaola. Tomie is in second grade when the event of Pearl Harbor happens. All the adults in his life are talking quietly about the war and Tomie starts to get scared. Throughout the story Tomie gets better about the idea of war but no matter how much better he feels he is still scared. This is a good chapter book for children to read who are interested in history or about what happen during Pearl Harbor. It gives good information while making it child friendl ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
I’m Still Scared details how Americans reacted in the early days of US involvement in World War II. Tomie is distressed when he must participate in air raid drills at school, and he wonders why some of his classmates suddenly dislike his Italian roots. Thankfully, his mother and grandfather are there to reassure him, and the reader as well. Also interesting in this book are the details of the last Christmas before the war really gets underway, when supplies are still available but will soon beco ...more
Amy
5th in a series. I debated about reading this because my daughter is rightfully sensitive about war/violence and we haven't learned much about WWII yet. But, she wanted to read it and I am not sorry we pushed on in the series. The tone continues the same even though the subject matter has changed to the uncertainty and fear bred by the war. The pace also changed in this book, showing in detail the events of December 1941 only.
Joy
Apr 24, 2013 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last book ended with the attack on Pearl Harbor. This book deals with the events in the first few weeks after the event. Tomie doesn't know what is all going on. There are special assemblies at school and air raid drills and blackout curtains. His father takes an extra "war job" to help with the effort.
Tanja
Dec 30, 2011 Tanja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chn-biography
More autobiographical accounts from Tomie DePaola’s childhood, this time narrating how as a second grader he experienced the time right after the attacks on Pearl Harbor. It made me want to read the other books in the 26 Fairmount Avenue series and also gave me a sense of knowing a bit more about the man who wrote and illustrated such amazing children’s books.
Doreen
dePaola addresses the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Little Tomie is afraid, like most children, at that time. His mom makes black out curtains and Air Raid Drills are practiced at school. This book realistically addresses a child's fears during wartime and of the possibility of foreign attack. dePaola treats every subject with amazing tenderness.
Mckinley
Jumped into the middle of the series. Interesting account of the effects of Pearl Harbor bombing on a young child.
Alex Baugh
Nov 11, 2012 Alex Baugh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-2
My complete review of the four books that comprise 26 Fairmount Avenue: The War Years can be found under Things Will Never Be the Same.
Maryam
Aug 22, 2016 Maryam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a very good book i liked it i haven't read the other sires though i've read this one only. I think it's a true story it's sooooo realistic!
Sharlet Mullen
the diary entries make this book. Real life historical events in ways that a child can relate to and not be scared to explore.
Thomas Kelly
Thomas Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2015
Mandy Maass
Mandy Maass rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2010
Snoopy
Snoopy rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2008
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2016
Jeanne Zydallis
Jeanne Zydallis rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2008
Jeanne
Jeanne rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2010
Vasu
Vasu rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2014
Leigh Bayer
Leigh Bayer rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2012
Jeanne Morigeau
Jeanne Morigeau rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2009
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2012
Kathryn Rasch
Kathryn Rasch rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it did not like it
Jun 06, 2014
  • The Anne Frank Case: Simon Wiesenthal's Search for the Truth
  • Edward Hopper Paints His World
  • Miss Dorothy and Her Bookmobile
  • His Name Was Raoul Wallenberg
  • Dare the Wind: The Record-breaking Voyage of Eleanor Prentiss and the Flying Cloud
  • The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon
  • Chameleon Chameleon
  • A Garden of Eden in Hell: The Life of Alice Herz-Sommer
  • Around the World in 80 Days
  • Butterfly Eyes and Other Secrets of the Meadow
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola...

26 Fairmount Avenue (8 books)
  • 26 Fairmount Avenue (26 Fairmount Avenue, #1)
  • Here We All Are (26 Fairmount Avenue, #2)
  • On My Way (26 Fairmount Avenue Book, #3)
  • What a Year!: A 26 Fairmount Avenue Book (26 Fairmount Avenue, #4)
  • Things Will Never Be the Same (26 Fairmount Avenue, #5)
  • Why?: The War Years (26 Fairmount Avenue, #7)
  • For the Duration: The War Years (26 Fairmount Avenue, #8)