Start by marking “Bill and Pete” as Want to Read:
Bill and Pete

Bill and Pete (Bill and Pete)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  423 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Meet William Everett Crocodile, who spells his name "Bill." Meet Pete, Bill's best bird friend and trusty "toothbrush." Together, they foil a crocodile-hunting Bad Guy, making life safer along the River Nile in his wonderfully funny tale of two memorable friends. Full color.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 7/16/1996 Pages: 32 Reading Level: Age 4 and Up
Published July 16th 1996 by Puffin (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Bill and Pete, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bill and Pete

Dart and the Squirrels by Nicole IzmaylovDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninElias Zapple's Rhymes from the Cabbage Patch by Elias ZappleKnuffle Bunny by Mo Willems
Funny Books for Kids
288th out of 328 books — 317 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakHarold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett JohnsonCars and Trucks and Things That Go by Richard ScarryThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleFreight Train by Donald Crews
Greatest little boy books ... ages 2 - 6
301st out of 308 books — 101 voters

More lists with this book...

Philip
Gwennie: Wait! *Gwennie holds the book up to the screen* YEP! THIS IS IT! This is it. *Takes book away*

Dad: Ok. Lets

Gwennie: Wait! *Gwennie holds the book up to the screen again* YEP! THIS IS THE BOOK! *Takes book away* Give it 3 stars! Gwennie promptly leaves the room singing, "Bang, boom, bang-gali bong..."

Dad: So Gwennie said to give the book 3 stars, what do you think, El?

Eleanor: Uuh! I wanna give it FIIIiiive stars! Or else I might get bummed. I might get bummed daddy. I might. get. bumme
This is an oldie but goodie for storytime for preschoolers (patient preschoolers). I read it to some kids this morning at "reptile storytime" and they LOVED the whole deal with Pete the toothbrush bird as well as the crocodile suitcases. Sure, calling the Bad Guy in the story "The Bad Man" might be a tad simple, but hello, it's a talking toothbrush bird! And, the Bad Man (here's a spoiler) runs away naked, which always gets the kids laughing. It was really fun to share this with the kids.
Patricia
This is the first Bill and Pete book. Bill is really William Everett Crocodile. Pete is William Everett's toothbrush and best friend. (He is an Egyptian Plover, a bird known for allegedly dining on decaying meat between the crocodiles' teeth.)

William Everett's mama takes him to get a toothbrush the day before he begins school. He learns his alphabet well (it's peculiar, however, that an Egyptian crocodile learns a Western alphabet), but he has problems spelling his own name. Pete helps him by sp
Theresa C
ISBN-0-698-11400-0
c1978

This is another humorous book from Tomie dePaola that children will enjoy. Pete is a good friend and memorable character and the bad guy in the story ends up getting scared out of a bath by Bill and runs off without a stitch of clothing! Children will love this part of the story. Also a good title to talk about such words as reptile, cold-blooded and compare alligators and crocodiles!
Liz
Week 4:

Pete the bird is William "Bill" Everett's best friend and toothbrush. Pete goes everywhere with Bill and helps him in school. One day, when swimming in the River Nile, Bill is captured by a scary man who turns crocodiles into suitcases. Brave Pete stays close to his friend and helps him escape the scary man's cage. Wanting to teach the scary man a lesson, Bill decides to scare the man before he goes back home to his mama.

"Bill and Pete" is appropriate for ages 3+ (Grades PreK+).

Although
S. J.
May 29, 2013 S. J. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to S. by: Unknown
I don't know where I got this book because I had never read it before last night. A fact that surprised me because it was such a fun, enjoyable read!

As stated in other reviews, I love Tomie dePaola's work. This was no different, a book with simplistic yet beautiful illustrations and a funny, cute story that made me sad when I reached the end because I wanted to know about Bill and Pete!

Bill or William Everett is a young crocodile who lives on the Nile and gets a 'toothbrush' or a bird named Pete
Dolly
Nov 06, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We just love books by Tomie dePaola and we like the books in the Bill and Pete series. The first book we read, Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile, had a bit more information about life in Egypt, but this one was a nice introduction to the characters and is a fun book for children who are learning to read. We have put Bill and Pete To The Rescue on hold at our local library and are looking forward to reading it.

Oct 2011 update:
We found a Netflix treat: we just watched Shelley Duvall's Bedtime Stories
Sarah Goodner
This is probably my favorite Tomie dePaola book. It's just so cute! And everyone loves to see the "bad guy" running scared. It's a great way to introduce symbiotic relationships in nature (the crocodile and his toothbrush).
Fjóla
Sep 11, 2012 Fjóla rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 4 - 6 year olds
This is the first book we read by Tomie dePaola, as far as I'm aware. This is wonderful slapstick humor for 4 - 5 year olds. The pictures are really bright and funny too. What can you say about a crocodile who forms an intense friendship with his bird toothbrush?
My son brought up this book during his last dentist check-up. Surprisingly the dental assistant had never heard of it. "Have you heard of Doctor De Soto?", he then asked her. Makes me question the literary background of dental hygienist
Josiah
This book, the first of three to date about Bill and Pete, is probably the better of the first two, in my view. The pictures that Tomie dePaola includes are of a different style than in most of his books, but still are very good, and fit the story well. The basic style of the narrative is similar to that in Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile. I first read this book a long time ago, and remember it well; it's more memorable than I would have guessed. I'd give one and a half stars to Bill and Pete.
Janelle
I read this book as part of my Author Study. This short story includes several life aspects for children to learn. Through Bill the crocodile and Pete the “toothbrush bird”, children learn the strength and power of friendship. They learn of how helping one another can bring about positive results. This story also shows that standing up for what is right and what we believe in is very important. Our bravery is always recognized!
Pynteya Bate
Cute story about the crocodile Bill who gets a new “toothbrush” bird Pete. They become friends, but Pete is more like encouragement to the Bill. When Bill goes to school and learns alphabet, Pete is there to tell him that he can do it. One day, Bill gets stolen by the businessmen who will use his skin to make suitcases. Pete follows his friend and helps him to get free. I like this book, it teaches a lot about friendship.
Marilyn
This book was good because it was ridiculous, and not impressive because of too much storyline remaining after the climax.

Best part: a crocodile walking up a vertical wall. Second best part: the toothbrush was the best friend.
Caryn
I came across this book today and I had a flashback from my childhood - when I was little I used to find the picture of "The Bad Guy" running away from his house - naked - hysterical...
Eva St. Clair
Thumbs up from Dante. Bill and his toothbrush Pete learn to read and then foil the Bad Guy's plans to turn Bill into a suitcase. Tomie de Paola's pictures are as usual outstanding.
Cana
Mommy says: Cana really likes the Bill and Pete books. They're funny and interesting for parents to read. Much discussion about why Bill chooses a bird for a toothbrush.
Liz
The story in this one goes a little long I think. They begin in school and end up ready to be a crocodile suitcase. It is cute but not the highest quality.
nicole
Oct 05, 2008 nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
my sister borrowed this from her school library. it was a big hit with the girls, although i got really tired of pronouncing poor bill's full name.
Polly
A delightful and funny story! I love the way some silly things are treated as absolutely straightforward--much funnier that way!
Nathan Eilers
May 12, 2011 Nathan Eilers rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
This is the story of a crocodile and his best friend, who is also his toothbrush. Great illustrations as always and a fun story.
Benji Martin
This one is a good longer book to open a story time with. The kids love the Bad Guy running from Bill naked down the street
Ms.
What a great book, especially about related to spelling and overcoming obstacles. Really enjoyed it and the illustrations.
Grace Carey
I liked this story a lot. It teaches about an unlikely pair of friends, and at the same time touches on the culture of Egypt.
Kristin
this story doesnt flow well.. so many random things happen. But I think kids would like it because of the crocodiles.
Emily
Using all these "school" books to introduce school to ECE kiddos. They are going to love these characters!
Mary
This will forever be a personal favorite. A fun read for kids with clever illustrations.
Amanda
bill the crocodile is best friends his toothbrush pete, who is a bird. nuf said
Christy
DePaola has again created an imaginative, humorous tale". -- School Library Journal
Brittany Lockard
Story about two friends who find acceptance in one another. Great for the younger ages.
  • Chester the Worldly Pig
  • The Quilt Story
  • It's Mine!
  • Ducks Don't Wear Socks
  • That's Good! That's Bad!
  • One Green Apple
  • The Island of the Skog
  • The Paper Crane
  • Spaghetti and Meatballs for All!
  • Amos et Boris
  • Children Just Like Me
  • Meanwhile Back at the Ranch
  • Ruby The Copycat
  • William's Doll
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola...

Bill and Pete (3 books)
  • Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile
  • Bill and Pete To The Rescue (Picture Puffins)
Strega Nona The Legend of the Bluebonnet The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush The Art Lesson Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs