Start by marking “Litha's Constant Whim (Green's Hill, #1)” as Want to Read:
Litha's Constant Whim (Green's Hill, #1)

Litha's Constant Whim (Green's Hill #1)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  564 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Whim believes himself to be the least powerful sidhe at Green's Hill: he is as constant as a bumblebee in a hurricane and as faithful as a stray breeze. Whim's prince believes there is more to him than that and on Litha, the night of the summer solstice, sends Whim into the mortal world where he strives to give a piece of himself to others. It is on Litha that Whim meets C ...more
Published June 23rd 2010 by Dreamspinner Press LLC

Captive Prince by C.S. PacatLuck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatStalking Darkness by Lynn FlewellingLord of the White Hell, Book 1 by Ginn Hale
Best Gay Fantasy Romance
61st out of 517 books — 957 voters
Truth in the Dark by Amy LaneCounterpoint by Rachel HaimowitzHis Hearth by Mary CalmesBloodraven by P.L. NunnLuck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling
Best Gay Elves, Gods, Deity & Wizards
15th out of 315 books — 327 voters

More lists with this book...

Bookwatcher
OMG!!! Someone bitch slap me! I can't stop crying!!!

So beautiful!! OMG this book is so wonderful, and the end??? Is more than a HEA, it's a burst of joy that made me cry like a crazy!

BTW, my hubby is not funny... He saw me and ask me if I was checking my credit card bill

Anyway... my review...

Few words just to tell some important aspects of this book:

1)It's an independent story. I know Amy Lane wrote more books with the Green Hill theme, but I didn't read them. The only book of this writer I
Mary
Oct 10, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gotta-have-it, own-it
Kassa
Aug 08, 2010 Kassa rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me by someone who said “it’s a great series!” Well this is the first book I’ve read and no doubt it’s a good series. This is clearly meant to be a tie in to an ongoing series about the area, Green Hill. The other books seem to be m/m/f/m or some variation of that, yes *gasp* there is a chick but you don’t have to read those books to follow this one. Litha’s Constant Whim is set nicely in the atmosphere but skims over the issues and events likely highlighted in the ot ...more
Carole Cummings
Jun 16, 2011 Carole Cummings rated it it was amazing
Really *really* liked this. The writing is wonderful, and the characters just kind of walk into your heart and drag you into their world(s). The style in which it's written--almost fairytale-style; whimsical, to borrow from the story itself--makes it that much more engaging, sometimes juxtaposing the atmosphere with laugh-out-loud irreverence while not backing down on some of the more unpleasant happenings. A very talented author and a very satisfying read.
Grammy 1
Jun 23, 2010 Grammy 1 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Grammy by: glakritz@tampabay.rr.com
Whim lives on Greens Hill, in the Little Goddess fantasy world that Amy Lane has painted to all she has enchanted with this “place’ tucked away in the foothills of Northern California…For those who are impressed by what wonderful stories Ms Lane pens, this will certainly not disappoint.

Whim is described by the author as Constant a bumblebee in a hurricane and as faithful as a stray breeze .We find Whim with Adrian his Prince who wants Whim to see the outside world away from the hill. Whim is a S
Lex Chase
I waltzed into Litha's Constant Whim on a well... whim and didn't know what to expect. I wasn't forewarned or even told in copy that there was more to the world of Green Hill. I read it for what it was.

That said, the worldbuilding is massive but in this book it reads like a rough summary. It's kind of like Whim or Charlie is standing off to the side with the reader and saying 'Okay. Here's what you missed and this is what's going on.' Kind of like the opening to a TV show like say Glee and one o
Juniper
Jun 30, 2010 Juniper rated it it was amazing
I love Amy Lane! Just needed to get that off my chest before starting the review.

Took a few pages for me to get into this, but these served to outline the world of Green's Hill to me - helpful, as I haven't read any of the previous Goddess series (m/f). It is, though, a stand-alone read, so don't worry if you haven't read them either.

It is beautifully written, full of emotion, sweet, with endearing characters who prove enduring love is possible.

Have a tissue handy; no, have a box of tissues hand
Gina
Dec 26, 2014 Gina rated it really liked it
This was difficult for me to follow in the beginning, but once i got past that I really enjoyed this little story. I will be reading the others in the series.
Vivian
Mar 03, 2014 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance, own
Magical tale of love and constancy even in those for whom the word had no place.

His hair, which hung (like most of the immortal sidhe’s) down to his waist, tended to change color according to his mood, like one big silky mood ring, and he tended to have the attention span of one of the lower fey, but that was why he was named “Whim.”

Sweet, beautiful yearning and sacrifice. I'm not a martyr and honestly, a bit too selfish to find this completely appealing, but it was a pleasure.
Jenre
Jul 30, 2010 Jenre rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, romance
Amy Lane has written a number of m/f and m/f/m fantasy books set in the faery world of Green’s Hill, a place governed by a sidhe, Green, and populated by faery folk, shifters and vampires. This story fits in and around the events of those other books. I haven’t read any of the other Green’s Hill books and it isn’t really necessary to have read them to understand the events of this book.

The story follows sidhe, or elf, Whim. He lives on Green’s Hill along with his brother Bracken. Whim’s name is
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Nov 20, 2011 Emanuela ~plastic duck~ rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

This is such a beautiful story!

Whim is sidhe with a very short attention span. On Litha he goes to the mortal world where he meets men and women, seduces them, gives them a night of love and magic, takes what they have to offer and goes back to his hill.

During one of Litha's nights he meets Charlie, a young man who feels he is trapped in a life from where there's no way out. Both Charlie and Whim can't see what's good in themselves, but they can see what good there's in the other and t
Tj
Sep 06, 2015 Tj rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2011
I debated for a while what to rate this. I really didn't get into the book. There just seemed to be something missing for me. I don't know what but the story didn't grab me which is unusual for an Amy Lane book. I loved the premise of the story. The length of Whim's wait seemed longer than I expected. They both seemed to want to be together and I understand the initial wait until he got older and had more experience. I just didn't get why so long. It just seemed an unnecessarily lengthy wait. I ...more
Aislinn
Apr 04, 2015 Aislinn rated it really liked it
What a sweet fairy tale. Whim is the perfect name for the elf main character of this story, flitting from thought to thought, activity to activity. That is, until he meets Charlie. There's something about Charlie that draws Whim in and doesn't let him forget. Each Litha, or summer solstice night, the two meet in the real world and share a lovely night. Circumstances limit them to that time together for most of the book, despite their love for each other.

As with any Amy Lane book, there is angst
Dean MacKinnon-Thomson
Jul 25, 2015 Dean MacKinnon-Thomson rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
#Spoiler alert#

I'm left pondering this work. 3 stars, it's a solid fairy story which successfully captures the necessary elements of wonder and awe.

But I do have issues with this.

My big issue: That damn plot twist at the end...

What precisely was the relationship between Daniel & Charlie? Was it really a relationship formed, with an explicit expiry-date written into it from the outset? Did Charlie really give one of his former students a year(+) of his life...out of pity and concern?

I mean,
Cherie Noel
Feb 09, 2011 Cherie Noel rated it it was amazing
There needs to be a 5stars + more button for this one. It literally took my breath away. Beautiful, poignant, both bitter and sweet... Faulkner dreamed of illuminating his characters as well as Amy Lane does. Read this book. Read it now. And then get your hands on every other Amy Lane book you can find, and make time to read them all. Because the sheer poetry of her words is capable of healing every thing within you that life may have broken...if only you allow it.
Ctanner
I picked this one up because after reading Rampant, I wanted more of the Little Goddess world. I loved this novella. I am not a huge fan of M/M romance but Lane's writing is beautiful and she makes you care deeply for her characters no matter their sexual preferences. The story is so swwet, I didn't want it to end. If you love Lane's Little Goddess series, you must read this.
Cole Riann
Wow I haven't put anything in the favorites shelf in a long time.

This story was utterly bewitching and played my emotions like a master fiddler on his long familiar instrument. As soon as I finished it, I thought, "damn, that was well-crafted" -- just as if it all came together and I had the experience I was meant to have in reading it.

Wonderful!
MsMiz (Tina)
Mar 10, 2011 MsMiz (Tina) rated it really liked it
When I first started this book I automatically started the star counter at 2 maybe 3. I thought it was going to be another flaky fae story about Whim. And it did start that way....but it did not stay that way. Watching Whim and Charlie over the years was beautiful, sad, endearing and fun.
Kiki
Oct 06, 2010 Kiki rated it liked it
This was hard to rate; in part I'd say "4" and in part I'd say "2". Some scenes that moved me, but a lot of it felt like the outline of a story and what felt like references to other books were superfluous and confusing.
Debra
Mar 11, 2011 Debra rated it it was amazing
I just adore Amy Lane. Amy's writing is just amazing!!! I read this book and just loved it!!!!! Whim and Charlie were just tearing up my heart!!! Great read.
Teresa
Feb 03, 2015 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story. I wasn't sure how it would work to only meet one day a year for so long and still have them be in love, but it did.
Tenny
Mar 24, 2016 Tenny rated it liked it
This book felt like some kind of big lore of missing. Lot of side characters weren't explained at all and it felt like I was reading a second book of series, not the first. Things weren't showed, just being talked about.
The story was sweet, but some things just didn't work for me. Maybe it's because I am really not into fairies and whole fae world things, etc. And the part with Daniel was just (view spoiler)
Kimberly Be
Oct 28, 2011 Kimberly Be rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kimberly Be by: Amanda Sings Cassandra 2011Q4GB
The aptly named elf Whim leaves his home -- sanctuary for all kinds of fae, vampires, werewolves, etc -- only once a year, on Litha, Midsummer's Night, to bring joy to a mortal in need. One year he meets Charlie, a young man with great potential but no self-confidence. The two spend the night together, talking, and Whim gives Charlie the boost he needs to keep living another year, and to explore his artistic talents and reach out to others, provided that Whim promises to met him again next year. ...more
Tracy
Dec 04, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Powerful Emotions in a Small Package
As unique and magically peculiar as the sidhe are, none are quite like Whim. Flighty, forgetful, adorably but perpetually inconsistent, Whim isn't a very powerful sidhe. Power struggles, dominance displays, and general strife just don't hold his attention. Nothing does, really. He's the freest of all free spirits.

Nudged by his prince to step beyond his Green's Hill home, Whim passes into the mortal realm on Litha, the night of the summer solstice. Whim had no
Deja Dei
Sep 11, 2011 Deja Dei rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely lovely story that I enjoyed immensely. It's one of the best things I've read in quite a while. Whim as a character is a real treat as he ventures out on Litha to learn about the world. He meets Charlie, who he instantly wants to form a bond with, but he can't steal Charlie's life from him, and he wants Charlie to have the opportunity to experience life and become a man. So, for the next several years, Whim and Charlie meet only once a year, while they look forward to the ti ...more
Plainbrownwrapper
Feb 13, 2013 Plainbrownwrapper rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm
It's not you, Green's Hill, it's me.

I love Amy's angsty stuff, I love Amy's funny stuff, but these Green's Hill books (this is the second I've read) mostly kinda make me wanna barf. Well, that's overstating it a bit, but in any case they and I are just not quite simpatico. I don't know if they are too sappy, or too sugary, or too smug, or too oh-so-sincere....hmmmm, I think perhaps sugary and oh-so-sincere come the closest I can think of right now...but in any case, they tend to set my teeth on
Jessie Potts
Dec 24, 2012 Jessie Potts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whim is a type of Fae. He's inconsistent, his mind wanders and he blows from one thing to the next not really understanding. On the night of the summer solstice, Whim decides he's going to do one good thing, bring peace (or a piece of himself) to a mortal in need of help. That mortal in question is Charlie, a human boy who was planning on taking his own life. One kiss later and the two meet every year to exchange a night of laughter, passion and fun. Thirteen years later, and it turns bitterswee ...more
Ayanna
...I thought I reviewed this, but I guess not...

This book really is amazing. It actually made me look at the world in a different way. What Whim said to Charlie in the beginning about how his whole life was still set out in front of him...that was profound, man. Profound.

And the rest of it...the emotions are present, amazingly worked. It's incredibly poignant and profound and thought-inducing.

I reread it a while ago and I still liked it.

(Note: I have not read any of the other books nor am I inte
Atika  Patel
May 03, 2015 Atika Patel rated it really liked it
One word for this. AWWWW
This short story was absolutely beautiful. Whim and Charlie were the cutest couple I've ever read about (well second after D and Jack).
Spoiler
The one thing I didn't like was the whole Daniel thing. I just didn't understand why Charlie couldn't help him without having to date him
Adara
Aug 28, 2010 Adara rated it really liked it
This is the first story I've read of Amy Lane's Little Goddess universe, and I will be happily hunting up the others at some point. I enjoy fantasy, but I really enjoy the rich and vivid world she's created, and I know I've barely scratched the surface of it.

Whim's character is creatively expressed by his name: his mind, his hair, and his eyes all change constantly. That is until Charlie anchors him, and then you begin to see the change in Whim from flighty to focused. Though their first meeting
  • Finn (Endangered Fae #1)
  • Inheritance (Dominion #1)
  • Mongrel (Mongrel, #1)
  • Miles and the Magic Flute
  • Sinnerman (Warder #4)
  • Dynasty of Ghosts
  • Dreamlands (Dreamlands #1)
  • The Elf and Shoemaker
  • The Bastard Prince (Kria, #3)
  • Paul's Dream (Touching Fire, #1)
  • Skin Deep (Fae, #1)
  • Tainted Blood (Tainted, #1)
  • Dark Designs (Half Lives, #1)
  • The Dream of a Thousand Nights
  • Bedtime Story for a Stolen Child (Stolen Child, #1)
  • Balancing Karma
  • Fireflies
151973
Amy Lane dodges an EDJ, mothers four children, and writes the occasional book. She, her brood, and her beloved mate, Mack, live in a crumbling mortgage in Citrus Heights, California, which is riddled with spiders, cats, and more than its share of fancy and weirdness. Feel free to visit her at www.greenshill.com orwww.writerslane.blogspot.com, where she will ride the buzz of receiving your e-mail u ...more
More about Amy Lane...

Green's Hill (3 books)
  • I Love You, Asshole! (Green's Hill, #2)
  • Guarding the Vampire's Ghost (Green's Hill, #3)