Start by marking “Firetalking” as Want to Read:

Firetalking (Firetalking)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  86 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 5/1/1994 Pages: 32 Reading Level: Age 7 and Up
Published May 1st 1994 by R.C. Owen

To ask other readers questions about Firetalking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firetalking

Lisa Vegan
Dec 30, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: every reader who’s enjoyed any of Patricia Polacco’s picture books!!!
Oh, it’s hopeless! I feel like Pavlov’s dog. I open up a Patricia Polacco book and I start to cry!

I’ve been reading through Polacco’s children’s picture books, many of them for children older than the typical targeted audience for children’s picture books. This is the 34th Polacco book I’ve read, and it’s an autobiography, one written for children. I’m thrilled. This author includes so much biographical and family information in all of her books, and they seem to be a very multicultural family,
Children's Literature Project
Oct 28, 2013 Children's Literature Project rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobiography, rosa
Grade Level Equivalent: 3.9

Summary: In this autobiography, Patricia Polacco welcomes children into the early years of her life and what inspired her to become a writer. The book tells of the difficulties faced by Patricia, from a learning disability to the difficult divorce of her parents. Children will be able to learn to cope with these turbulent circumstances, as Patricia did with her expressive release in writing.

Lesson Integration: Children can use this book to explore challenges posed by
Sep 02, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
I really like this series about children's lit. authors, and this selection did not let me down. I enjoyed the photos and learning the background that lead to the books I love.
Mar 03, 2016 Morgan added it
Shelves: biography
This is a great book to bring in for a lesson on how to write a biography. This is the story of Patricia Polacco and how she lives her life.
Arsenio Richardson
Like many of the other biographies I enjoyed this one because I was familiar with the author and read some her books previously. With art in this book was interesting because Mrs. Polacco used a combination of cartoon depictions and actual photos of her life. I thought that showed her range of character. It is important to me, to be able to put a name to a face helps out a lot when reading books by an author. Also, in this book I found out many of the author interests and inspiration behind writ ...more
Oct 29, 2013 Hayley rated it liked it
Shelves: 9-autobiography
Author: Patricia Polacco
Photographer: Lawrence Migdale
Genre: Autobiography
Grade Level: 3.9
Lexile: 770L

Summary: This autobiography gives the reader an inside look at author Patricia Polacco’s life. She discusses growing up and how she became an author. She also explains where her inspiration for writing comes from. This is an awesome resource for teachers trying to show students the writing and creating process.
Jun 28, 2011 Kinga rated it it was amazing
Although Polacco's books all have lots of autobiographical references, this one is pure autobiography written for children with lots of photos of Polacco, her family, friends, neighborhood, etc. She also reveals how some of her books pertain to her actual life (although just up to 1994 when this book was published).
Apr 11, 2012 Camilla rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-lit, 2012-books
Weeding final.
I did like the response to the question: "Is that a true story?" The answer is, "Of course it's true... but it may not have happened."
There's lots of truth in that statement.
Inhabiting Books
A kid-friendly biography about Patricia Polacco.
Hilary Woolf
Hilary Woolf marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Wish marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Katie Newton
Katie Newton marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Susan C Mizerak
Susan C Mizerak rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2016
Gabe rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Irene rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Jess marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Dancingdiva rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Monica rated it it was amazing
Alexis added it
Jun 05, 2016
CS rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
Constance Dinsmore
Constance Dinsmore marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Abby Turner
Abby Turner marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Shana O'Brien
Shana O'Brien marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Anija marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Lynn Snead
Lynn Snead marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Abby Tyler
Abby Tyler marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Connie Hernandez
Connie Hernandez marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Sam marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Linda Stuckey
Linda Stuckey rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016