Start by marking “John Philip Duck” as Want to Read:
John Philip Duck

John Philip Duck

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  310 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Edward loves his pet duck more than anything. He raised it from a baby, and now it follows him everywhere&150even to the big fancy hotel in Memphis where he works with his father. Everyone at the Peabody loves to watch that little duck do tricks; why, it can even waddle up and down in time to a John Philip Sousa march, which is why Edward decides to name it John Philip ...more
Published June 17th 2004 by Philomel Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about John Philip Duck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Philip Duck

Lisa Vegan
The title of this didn’t appeal to me, which is one reason it’s in my last group of Polacco read books. However, I ended up being completely charmed.

I love Polacco’s book dedication: “In loving memory of Robert McCloskey, inspiration to me since I was a child."

Because, this is a fictional story based on the resident ducks at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis. Polacco researched how the custom got started and found out about the first Peabody Duckmaster. Then, she used her imagination to create this s
We all loved this book. Patricia Polacco is a favorite author of ours. Jacob and Ellie's great grandpa played with John Philip Sousa and it makes this book even more special to us.
I have a fascination with ducks. Something about how they take care of one another and how they fly in formation amazes me. Whenever I see ducks, I think it’s a sign of good luck and of course, when they fly overhead…. I have to stop and watch. Patricia Polacco’s book titled John Philip Duck was a fun and delightful book about a boy and his duck. Patricia tells her story with wonderful illustrations that capture your heart and can tell the whole story just by looking at the pictures. I really en ...more
Rosa Cline
Such a wonderfully done fictional story, although you think as you are reading it; it's real. It's a different type of story not the 'same ol same ol' you are used to reading as a children's book. A little boy and his dad has to work away from their families during the week. One weekend when they were working at their farm when wild ducks flew over, he found a small baby one that had been left. He took it and cared for him. He took him to the motel where he and his dad worked 'hiding' him from t ...more
As with most of Polacco's stories, John Philip Duck is loosely based on actual facts. As a young boy, Edward was fascinated by ducks, while he worked at a hotel in Memphis, Tennessee. Finding a fledgling on his family's farm, he decided to raise it with love and care, even bringing it with him to the hotel during the week. The little duck was soon 'adopted' by most of the staff, but worried about the owner finding out.

Edward began training the duck to march to Sousa's music, and this unique tr
Andrea Boyd
This was a beautifully written and illustrated book. This is a fictional story (loosely based on actual events) about how the tradition of the ducks that march through the lobby at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis came to be. Having seen the ducks in action before I was delighted by this story. If I had never seen this event I think I would still be intrigued by this read. Kids will be at the end of their seats waiting to see if this little boy's dream becomes a reality and they will not be disappoi ...more
Another outstanding Polacco that would be extremely special to anyone who has had the pleasure of viewing the Peabody ducks in Memphis. Our junior high kids actually enjoy this one when studying the depression.
The Reading Countess
The fictional story of how the world-famous Peabody ducks came to be parading twice-daily into the hotel's fountain penned like no one other than Polacco can do.
I want to visit The Peabody Hotel in Memphis, TN.
Edward is a young black man who lives during tough times in Tennessee. He and his father work in the nearby city at one of the posh hotels. One day, Edward finds a baby duck and asks if he can keep him, including taking him to work. His father finally relents, and eventually the
entire staff falls in love with John Philip Duck. Everyone except the owner, that is—Mr. Schutt is a hard man who runs a strict hotel, and when he finds out about the duck, he gives Edward one month to train him to march
Edward Pembroke works with his father at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis. There is a depression going on and times are hard all around. Edward and his Pa work during the week at the hotel and sleep there. Then, on the weekends they go back home to their farm. Edward loved his time at home listening to the radio especially when John Philip Sousa and his brass band played. Edward would dance around the house to the lively music. Even though Edward was a hard worker, he was also a dreamer. One day whi ...more
Plot Summary:
An African-American boy named Edward and his dad work at The Peabody Hotel in Memphis. Edward keeps a duck as a pet, taking it to the hotel with him, and the duck is the beginning of the infamous Peabody Ducks.
Personal Evaluation:
This book is a delightful fiction story about a child having dreams and working toward those dreams. I love the illustrations and would recommend it highly for older children, since the text is longer and the content a little deeper than typical picture boo
Lacey Bolen
I enjoyed this book and think it could be a great read aloud for around second grade. I think it could work really well with a lesson on problem and solution, cause and effect, or plot development. There is a great variety of sentence structure as well as dialogue and as always Patricia Polacco's illustrations are a wonderful addition.
As I read more Patricia Polacco books I was thinking it could be a good project for students to do a short research project on an author of there choice.
Mar 19, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun and whimsical tale about ducks who swim in a fountain at a hotel and march in line on cue to marching songs by John Philip Sousa. We love Patricia Polacco's books and we are working our way through her bibliography slowly. This was a great story to read aloud and we really enjoyed it.

I'm glad that we found this book. It was nominated here for the March 2011 Music-themed reads for the Picture-Book club in the Children's Books group here at Goodreads. It wasn't selected as one of th
Amy Edwards
We had fun reading this. At the right moment in the story I hit play on "Stars and Stripes Forever" on my phone, and then finished the book with it as background music. And, yes, what I hear in my head with that march is "Be kind to your web-footed friends...," so it is a perfect accompaniment in two ways.
Kristine Pratt
While this is a fictionalized account of the story, I still enjoyed the tale of one boy who trained ducks to march and swim and stay all day in a fountain at a fancy hotel. Very cool how the hotel staff came together to help the boy. Fun to read!
Janna C
Vibrant pictures and a sweet story line.
This was a really interesting, realistic fiction book. It was about a young boy who taught ducks to walk through a hotel and swim in the fountain. It is colorful, funny, and supenseful at times. The book is a good one for a read aloud. There are many characters, so voices are a must when reading it. The book is fast paced and will make any young children laugh out loud! It would be a good book to use to introduce supporting details with. The words in the book are very descriptive and would make ...more
This book is charming and engaging. Based on a true story but told like something utterly fictional, this books transports the young reader into a time that rarely visited in quality children's literature. We enjoyed the suspense and the joy of this story. My 4 year old was astounded that wild ducks could be trained to ride elevators, swim in fountains and march to John Phillips Sousa. The most enjoyable part for us was the ending and the kind of magic that it seemed to be.
Brenna Johnson
Now I want to see the famous ducks!
Dave Wilson
A great read about how to use your imagination to overcome challenges. When Edward earns the right to have an orphan duck continue to accompany him to the hotel where he trains the duck to march along with other ducks who are welcome then he trains them how to swim in the hotel fountain. A feel good, entertaining story especially for ducks everywhere. Historical fiction, 2004
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
This fictional story was inspired by the actual Peabody Ducks. The Peabody Memphis (Hotel) has been featuring the Peabody Ducks since 1933. Polacco's spin on the origin of the ducks and illustrations are inspiring and fun. I especially enjoyed the scenes in which the Peabody staff help to keep John Philip Duck hidden.
Great story!! I love this author. This story is about a boy who finds a tiny little duck and takes the duck to work with him. The boy teaches the duck some tricks. The boy and his dad work at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis, TN. I remember taking relatives to the Peabody to see the ducks.
Jillian Reed
A touching story about a dog who works in a hotel during the depression. He follows his dreams and becomes a duck master at the Peabody Hotel. The boy worked hard in order to accomplish his dream. Moral of the story, with a little determination, your dreams can come true.
Beautiful pictures-- like everything Polacco does.

I was at this hotel and saw the ducks in the fountain! But the story they tell there is different-- that the ducks were there as decoys for a hunting trip and were put in the fountain as a practical joke...
The Peabody Hotel in Memphis, Tennessee, is a real place and the tradition of the ducks is real, but the origin of this tradition is partially fictionalized. Patricia Polacco is a very talented storyteller and illustrator. This story is another example of her talent.
Glenn Kennedy
Tis is a good heart warming story. The boy loves his duck and he has to train him to please his dad's boss. He trains him,and get to keep him. If students want a pet they can reference this book to help convince their parents.
Fun story of how Edward Pembroke started the Ducks marching at the Peabody hotel in Nashville. The images are vivid and realistic. I think it would a great book for questioning and inferring.
I remember being told the story of the Peabody ducks as a child. And after a short search, I found Polacco's telling which must have been what introduced it to me.
Deborah Harris
Dec 15, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: ar-4, a15
AR Quiz No. 79229 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 4.3 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
  • Wallace's Lists
  • My Brother Martin: A Sister Remembers Growing Up with the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Thank You, Sarah: The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving
  • The Teddy Bear
  • The Web Files
  • Boundless Grace
  • The Uglified Ducky
  • My Mama Says There Aren't Any Zombies, Ghosts, Vampires, Demons, Monsters, Fiends, Goblins or Things
  • The Firekeeper's Son