Start by marking “The Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health” as Want to Read:
The Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health

The Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health

EAT YOUR GREENS. . . and your yellows and oranges, your blues and purples, and your blacks and reds and browns

"It's a great time to eat well. Farmers' markets filled with local and organic vegetables are sprouting up everywhere, and supermarkets are spilling over with whole grain choices, bigger and better produce sections, and a variety of healthier convenience foods. Co

Published November 3rd 2009 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health

Jan 24, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd been leafing through this every time I passed it in the bookstore so I finally just bought it for myself. It's fantastic. I'm always a fan of Moosewood recipes, and the first couple I've made out of this book are no exceptions. The Sweet Potato-Apple-Chipotle soup is a perfect balance of sweet and hot and perfect for a cold winter's night. Best of all, it was easy and fast, taking less than an hour from when I started chopping to when I got to eat it. I really like the little mini-recipes to ...more
Denise
Mar 03, 2010 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moosewood comes through with another creative, healthy addition to my cookbook collection! Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health is all about flavorful, simple vegetarian and vegan recipes.

I started my exploration with Spinach Quesadillas. Once the spinach, onion, and green chile mixture is made you can keep it in the fridge and you are mere minutes away from a delicious, healthy dinner. I don't have kids but I can imagine this would be a great way to get them to eat spinach!
Next up was Savory
Erin
Jul 01, 2016 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Have spent June cooking recipes. First cookbook I've been inspired by in quite some time. Actually going to purchase it and add to my shelf! Too many recipes I still want to try and have to take back to the library. Other Moosewood cookbooks have been too egg and dairy focused for me. My family enjoys vegetarian food with minimal to no animal product. This one is perfect for us!
Laurie

~Tempeh Bourgignon 4*s
~Butternut Cookies 3*s
~Silken Chocolate Pudding 4*s
James Eckman
May 03, 2016 James Eckman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
May buy a copy. Not as many recipes as some of the other Moosewood cookbooks, but a bit healthier. Calories and other info are include for each dish and while it uses old school measurements, weights are noted for things hard to measure by volume. Also has some good info on nutrition.
Christine
Dec 10, 2009 Christine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Moosewood’s Multicultural, Accessible Vegetarian Recipes Satisfy
The Moosewood Collective has promoted local, organic food since before it was popular. It’s no surprise to find they’re still a step ahead of the veggie curve, making a case for whole, plant-based foods. Their latest collection of more than 200 recipes showcases trendy, healthful ingredients like stevia, umeboshi, celeriac and more, with loads of vegan options and even raw foods. Moosewood Restaurant: Cooking for Health by the Moose
Cat
Aug 03, 2015 Cat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've heard a lot about the Moosewood cookbooks since I started on a more plant-based diet, but this is the first I've picked up. There were tons of tasty sounding recipes and I enjoyed the introductory sections on ingredients and definitions. Although I can already tell I'll be coming back to this and other Moosewood cookbooks in the future, I don't know that I'd recommend this for beginners. I think this is better suited to someone who is already used to cooking vegetarian and vegan dishes and ...more
Maze Branch Oak Park Public Library
We thoroughly enjoyed the discussion and the tasting (oh the tasting!)of this cookbook. If we could use 1/2 stars, we would have given this book 4.5 stars.

As we do for every cookbook discussion, we asked our patrons to make one specific recipe from a specified cookbook (Southwestern Black Bean Burgers) and one recipe of their choice to bring to the discussion to share. Everyone enjoyed every recipe that we sampled. These included: Oatmeal cookies (chewy with a surprising crunch), Pineapple Salsa
Donna Jo Atwood
Feb 11, 2011 Donna Jo Atwood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery
I love reading cookbooks for pleasure. Just reading the ingredient lists and mentally tasting them probably makes me gain pounds, but it also opens new possibilities.

The newest Moosewood cookbook is no exception. The vegetarian and vegan recipes sound absolutely yummy--and I am a person who normally eats veggies only out of a sense of duty. But I am ready to try Sweet Potato Walnut Salad on Argugula or Japanese Winter Stew or Whole Grain Crepes Filled with Chocolate and Walnuts. Or any number of
Cathy
Mar 16, 2012 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great vegetarian cookbook! And very informative - especially for the "new" vegetarian and/or just for those wanting to eat healthier.
Talks about:
- organic foods (listing the fruits and veggies with the highest pesticide levels);
- the benefits of eating locally grown food whenever possible (more healthy as well as supporting those in your community);
- whether to eat fish (ie good low fat protein and omega 3's in some fish) or not to eat fish (ie high mercury levels in some fish, high environmen
Julie
Dec 26, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was under the Christmas tree- thank you Santa Brendan! Tofu Mole on the menu tonight...

I'm neither vegan nor vegetarian, but I am an avid fan of veggies, grains, legumes, and the Moosewood Collective. There's quite a bit of instructive text here- "articles" about soy, glycemics, phytonutrients, food allergies- all interesting stuff that I count on my Eating Well magazine subscription to keep me abreast of. I'd rather that the space had been devoted to recipes. Nevertheless, I shall be kept
Dawn
Jun 18, 2011 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic cookbook - My mom-in-law was good enough to buy this for me AND get it spiral-bound so I'd actually use it. My husband has cooked several dishes from it so far, my favorites to date being the red-bean pizza and the rizotto. These folks really know how to please vegetarians. Best of all, and the main reason I chose this cookbook, is that almost all the recipes are simple and use what you probably already have in your kitchen - not a bunch of oddball herbs and special ingredients. Love t ...more
Jill
Feb 12, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quinoa and Sweet Potatoes and the Apple-Blueberry Crumble are definite keepers. I like how the cookbook pairs each recipe with another meal suggestion. It leads you a whole variety of menu options. Ingredients are readiliy available at your local market (no brown sugar syrup or other hard-to-find, obscure ingredients). Lots of sidebars to provide general cooking or ingredient education. Pretty much anything put out by the Moosewood Collective is a good book to add to your cooking repetoire.
Catherine Woodman
Love the Moosewood COllective and this cookbook is no exception to that rule. The recipes are good, and inventive, with lots of grains, beans, and vegetables, not so much in the way of fat, and animal protein (although it is by no means vegan--there are plenty of eggs and judicious use of dairy products are found throughout--just good amounts of fiber)--lots of things I would try, and a great layout, lots of veggie burgers, and the quinoa dolma have potential for Passover food..
Abigail
Feb 28, 2013 Abigail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first introduction to the Moosewood Collective, and this is the first cookbook I've ever wanted to buy. These recipes are inventive, tasty (lots of herbs and spices!), and healthy, and every time we cook from this book we are pleased. Helpful information is included about all the ingredients, such as how to choose quality and what nutritional benefits they offer.
Lynn
Mar 14, 2013 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
I am in the learning stages of how to add some vegetarian recipes and a much wider variety of healthful ingredients to my cooking repertoire. The recipes and organization look really good despite no pictures of the various dishes. But that's not why I gave it a 5 star rating. The introduction for each category was so educational and so open-minded, it helped immensely with my quest.
Mikenliza
Dec 29, 2009 Mikenliza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My new Christmas gift - the newest Moosewood cookbook. I love these books. I have already written down dozens of titles of things I want to make.

Last night, we ate Tuscan Harvest Soup, and it was good. The whole family liked it.
Jo
Oct 31, 2015 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Got this from the library. After marking over 25 recipes To Try, decided I should just go buy this book. It may be vegetarian but there are some really great ideas in here. Just ordered from Amazon.
Brenda
Dec 26, 2009 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally admire the recipes in this book and wish it did not require so much time investment to produce these healthy meals. A few are simple enough for my culinary abilities, but most require equipment I do not own and time I will not spend cooking.
Sherrie
Nov 29, 2011 Sherrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Healthy eating...what a novel idea! This is a great resource for good things to put in your mouth. I've been doing some research on metabolism and I find these recipes fitting right in to a better lifestyle.
Rachel
Aug 28, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Makes delicious sides, spreads, small plates, desserts and breakfasts that also happen to be beautiful, seasonal, healthy and vegetarian. Awesome recipes from the original masters of yummy hippie food!!
Erika
Jul 02, 2011 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lexi
Recipes are fantastic, especially sweet potato apple chipotle soup. I don't know if I'm ready to be this healthy all the time though. And I wish there were pictures and a few less "articles" about healthy eating.
Carla
Apr 16, 2013 Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite cookbooks. I use it all of the time and have loved almost everything I've made from here.
K
Jun 22, 2010 K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have been cooking from this book for the last 6 months, have made 15-20 dishes, satisfied with strong majority of them. Recipes are easy, very healthy, and usually tasty.
Koeeoaddi
Oct 26, 2013 Koeeoaddi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, cooking, dull
Dullest of the Moosewood books, so far. Tofu, beans, grains and healthy leafy goodness, sure, but not much I feel inspired to make. Disappointing.
Carolanne
Aug 10, 2010 Carolanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carolanne by: Montambeau
On my quest to eat healthier...

Haven't made anything yet but I could defiantly see my self buying this book
Alison
Jan 22, 2012 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is possibly the best vegetarian cookbook I've found to date. Don't sleep on the savory bread pudding.
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2011
Stucar66
Stucar66 rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Thom Crowe
Thom Crowe rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
  • Veggie Burgers Every Which Way: Fresh, Flavorful and Healthy Vegan and Vegetarian Burgers—Plus Toppings, Sides, Buns and More
  • A Beautiful Bowl of Soup: The Best Vegetarian Recipes
  • The Vegetarian Meat & Potatoes Cookbook: 275 Hearty and Healthy Meat-Free Recipes
  • The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 150 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Everyone (Vegan or Not!) Will Devour
  • The Meat Lover's Meatless Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes Carnivores Will Devour
  • Mediterranean Harvest: Vegetarian Recipes from the World's Healthiest Cuisine
  • The Vegetarian Family Cookbook
  • The French Market Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes from My Parisian Kitchen
  • Moosewood Restaurant Kitchen Garden: Creative Gardening for the Adventurous Cook
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • Ani's Raw Food Desserts: 85 Easy, Delectable Sweets and Treats
  • Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes
  • The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The Art of Making Your Own Staples
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day
The Moosewood Collective is a crew of fourteen women and five men. Some of us moonlight from Moosewood, and among us we have a broad range of interests and avocations. Our group comprises musicians, singers, dancers, actors, performers, mediators, meditators, activists, teachers, trainers, consultants, writers, gardeners, editors, poets, artists, quilters, calligraphers, martial arts instructors a ...more
More about Moosewood Collective...