Start by marking “Babushka's Doll” as Want to Read:
Babushka's Doll

Babushka's Doll

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  1,312 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Natasha isn't really a bad girl. It's just that she wants to play on the swing now, not after the wash has been hung up to dry. And she wants her soup now, not after the goats have been fed. Looking after Natasha keeps Babushka, Natasha's grandmother, very busy.
Then, after lunch, Natasha notices a doll sitting on Babushka's shelf...a doll Babushka tells Natasha she played
Published August 1st 1995 by Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Babushka's Doll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Babushka's Doll

Ronyell
Sep 25, 2010 Ronyell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Patricia Polacco Fans!!
Babushka

Lately, I have taken interest in Patricia Polacco’s books and I have recently stumbled upon a new book by her called “Babushka’s Doll.” “Babushka’s Doll” is a Russian tale by Patricia Polacco and it is about how a naughty girl named Natasha learns the hard way about what it truly means to be impatient after her grandmother, Babushka leaves her doll with Natasha and the doll comes alive and starts bossing Natasha around! “Babushka’s Doll” is definitely one of the most creative and surprising book
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Natasha is a very demanding child. Babushka (Natasha's grandmother) is working very hard on the farm and in the house but Natasha won't let up---she keeps asking for attention and demands to be played with and fed right away. After lunch, Natasha notices Babushka's doll on the shelf. Babushka must run an errand so Natasha has the entire afternoon to play with the special doll...only the doll isn't anything like Natasha expected.

I enjoyed this story as a parent but I'm not too sure if children wo
Lisa Vegan
Well, I loved the illustrations. The colors and patterns and details are so eye-catching and appealing.

The story is only a moral. What?: To be less selfish, considerate of others, and not to be too demanding of the poor beleaguered adults? It was too heavy handed for my taste. Maybe little girls will like the idea of a doll coming to life but I’m not sure they will in this case.

4 stars for the illustrations, 2 stars for the story. and that’s being a bit generous.
Linda Lipko
Impatient, bratty and impulsive Natasha notices a doll high up on the shelf in her grandmother's house. Asking to play with the doll, her grandmother mentions that she only ever played with this item once.

After leaving the house, leaving Natasha with the doll, a great lesson is learned. The doll, a mirror image of behavior of Natasha demands rudely to hurry, hurry, hurry to flit from one thing to another. When Natasha is tired from the demands, she places the doll back on the shelf.

Increasingly
Dolly
Jan 10, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, russia, 2011
This is a different kind of story by Patricia Polacco. It's more of a folktale than the typical historical fiction/non-fiction stories we've read by her. The message is a strong one, but a good moral lesson for children (especially whiny, impatient ones) to learn. We enjoyed reading this story aloud together, but I must admit the idea of a doll coming to life is just too creepy for me - I think it's just my childhood memories of watching scary movies like Poltergeist and Chucky coming back to ha ...more
Kappy Williams
Sep 11, 2008 Kappy Williams rated it really liked it
I read this every year to my classes. It helps with taking turns and waiting for others. A whining girl gets a taste of her own medicine.
Rachel Hancock
Feb 08, 2012 Rachel Hancock rated it really liked it
"Babushka's Doll" by Patricia Polacco tells the story of a little girl and her grandmother. In the book, Natasha is a little girl who is extremely demanding of her grandmother. She constantly asks her grandmother to drop everything to entertain her and is unhappy that her grandmother's work keeps her from catering to her every whim. As the story progresses, Natasha notices a doll on her grandmother's shelf and asks if she can hold it just for a little while. Her grandmother decides she may play ...more
Andrea Thomas, Greenville
I loved this book! What a great story to use to teach children a lesson about being patient. This story requires the reader to have to infer why the grandmother only played with the doll only once. This book would also work well with a unit on families.
Amanda Butler
Mar 27, 2014 Amanda Butler rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children under 12 years of age
This was one of my favorite books growing up...maybe because my grandma had so many dolls herself. I love Polacco's artwork in all of her books, this is a genuine feast for the eyes!
Kelley Hazen
Feb 03, 2014 Kelley Hazen rated it it was amazing
The first graders at Los Angeles Leadership Academy loved this book.
Sara
Mar 20, 2017 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A story that warns against the selfish and impatient behaviors many people have.
Jessica
Jul 25, 2010 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Matt
Nov 11, 2009 Matt rated it it was amazing

Babushca’s Doll by Particia Polacco
One of Two books that are about a culture different than mine
Recommended for grades 3-4
“Babushca’s Doll”, is a Russian story about a demanding grand daughter and how her Babushka (grandmother) used a doll to make her realize that these demands were too much. At the beginning of the story the grand daughter was demanding the grandmother to swing with her, pusher her in a cart and many other things. The grandmother had work to do, but the grand daughter did not
Chelsea
Sep 23, 2013 Chelsea rated it really liked it
Babushka's Doll is a sweet story about a little girl Natasha, and her Russian grandmother. As her Babushka does laundry, feeds goats and takes care of the house, Natasha is constantly pestering her to do this and that, with little regard for her grandmother's work load. When Natasha suddenly sees a doll on her grandmother's shelf, Babushka sees a chance to teach Natasha about work. The minute her Babushka is gone, Natasha's new friend comes to life and demands that she do all the chores that her ...more
Jessica Hughes
Sep 28, 2016 Jessica Hughes rated it liked it
Babushka's Doll tells the story of a young, impatient girl who always wants her Babushka to do what she wants right at that moment. However, Babushka lets the young girl play with her old doll while she goes to the store and the doll comes to life. She is even more impatient and whiny than the young girl, which ultimately teaches the girl to stop acting like that. The message is very didactic and obvious, but I feel that young children will pay more attention to the humorous story of the doll co ...more
Kara Stark
Babushka's Doll is a wonderful story of a girl named Natasha. Natasha is very demanding and asks her grandmother for everything. She wants her grandmother to play with her all the time. Natasha notices a doll and asks her grandmother to play with it. To Natasha's surprise, the doll comes to life and begins acting just as demanding as Natasha. Natasha realizes the doll isn't a very good doll and doesn't want to play with her anymore. Children will love watching the doll come to life and the lesso ...more
Breanna
Feb 10, 2016 Breanna rated it really liked it
This book is great for younger children who need to learn to be patient. It is difficult for children to understand that there are other things that have to be done before you can play around. Babushka (grandmother) let Natasha play with her doll, that she herself only played with once, while she was at the store. In doing so it gives Natasha a first hand idea of how you can't always do everything at once, and to consider others feelings at that moment. The illustrations make your eyes move all ...more
Nicole
Feb 17, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing
This books tells the story of what happens when little girls act a little less than pleasant. When the young girl refuses to listen to her babushka, she finds out the hard way that listening is the easier path. Babushkas little doll comes to life and proves to be twice the handful the little girl was already being. Making her see that being a little monster is not right, the doll goes back to being a doll and the little girl learns how it's okay to act. Babushkas seems very attached to this doll ...more
Shannon
Jan 24, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, fantasy
A humorous story about a girl that learns how it feels to be bossed around and have someone who is impatient for everything. I use this book a lot for writing workshop. I mainly use it for dialogue lessons and the power of dialogue in a story, but it is also a great book to use to teach character traits and show, don't tell. My Polacco library is always a go to when I need to teach a mini lesson in writing.
Katherine Brown
The illustrations of this children's book are consistent will all of Patricia Polacco's work, and it is wonderful. In the first few pages I was astonished at the main character's attitude towards her grandmother. As the story continued the plot turned and there was a major role reversal that I loved, and I'm sure many students would as well. I love how the author includes the name Babushka, meaning grandma, in the title. This adds much more depth and culture to the story.
Janet
I thought this was going to be a doll story. Surprise, the impatient granddaghter Natasha learns her lesson when Babushka allows her to play with her doll. Strange that Babushka says she has only played with the doll once in her lifetime. Laugh out loud one afternoon with this doll is enough. A fun "teaching" story and Polacco's illustrations of the aged Babushja are endearing, charming, and so realistic of an aged woman with great warmth.
Mrs. Downs
GR Level: P

Elementary: E POL

Natasha wants Babushka (grandma in Russian) to push her on the swing, pull her in the goat cart, and feed her lunch. Babushka has other chores that need to be done first. Babushka begins to make lunch after her chores are finished and Natasha sees a doll that she wants to play with. The doll acts just like Natasha and she learns that it is important to think of other people's wants and needs first.
Isabel
Dec 05, 2014 Isabel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
I remember reading Babushka's Doll as a child and loving it. Natasha is a selfish little girl that is very demanding of her Babushka, so, one day Babushka gives Natasha her old doll. As soon as they are alone, the doll comes to life and is as demanding of Natasha as she was of Babushka. Natasha is taught the lesson not to be so selfish.

I love this book. It teaches a great lesson to young girls. The pictures in this book are so beautiful and unique.
Erica
Oct 29, 2012 Erica rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, picture-book
Lauren McKinney
Feb 09, 2012 Lauren McKinney rated it it was amazing
The illustrations are very eye-catching! The colors and patterns are very appealing! The story teaches children a moral lesson about being selfish. The doll comes to life and makes the little girl realize she is not treating her grandma with the respect she deserves. The doll bosses her around and imitates the behaviors Natasha displays. The story is humorous as well!
Ashley Massa
Sep 04, 2012 Ashley Massa rated it it was amazing
Picture Book 4
I adored this story! Not only does it contain wonderful illustrations and a whimsical story line, it also provides a lesson for the little girl. This would be a great story for any younger elementary child, as it is not very lengthy, but has enough detail and storyline to capture their attention.
Bradie
Oct 20, 2015 Bradie rated it liked it
"I didn't really like the story, because the granddaughter was a brat and Babushka's doll was a brat. I also didn't really like the illustrations"
Bradie-Age 7
Mom will add that this is a book was written to teach brats not to be brats. Bradie is definitely not a brat, not even close, but it's a good reminder to think about how your selfish requests can be viewed by tired Mamas and Babushkas.

Claire
Sep 18, 2015 Claire rated it liked it
I had been pondering being a babushka for Halloween (that or Baba Yaga) - so I had to pick this up at the library and take a quick read-through.
I found the tale pretty classic.
There's a particular reason both Natasha and her babushka have only played with the doll once.

I wonder if the publication dates are at all relevant.
Probably not.
Christy
May 27, 2014 Christy rated it it was amazing
Ouida Robinson
Feb 20, 2015 Ouida Robinson rated it it was amazing
Author: Patricia Palocco

Title: Babushka's Doll

Plot: Babushka's special doll helps Natasha learn that things can not always go her way.

Setting: Babushka's home