Start by marking “Flashback” as Want to Read:

Flashback

If you could relive your childhood, would you? What if you had no choice?

On the thirtieth anniversary of his mothers' mysterious drowning, Jack Koryan returns to his family beach cottage. During a swim, Jack is attacked by a school of rare jellyfish whose toxic stings put him in a coma for six mths.

When he awakens, he finds that the jellyfish toxin has left him with an ext
Published October 1st 2005 by Forge Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Flashback, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flashback

Fran
Jul 28, 2011 Fran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author: Gary Braver
Reviewed by Fran Lewis

Swimming in the ocean should not be dangerous to your health and welfare except if a school of toxic jellyfish get hungry and decide to feed on you. Jack Koryan on the eve of opening up his own restaurant on the 30th anniversary of the death of his mother, he has a run in with these jellyfish leaving his body covered with toxic burns. As a result he is left in a comatose state for a very long time.
Alzheimer’s has no cure and there are at present
Nikki Fordey
Nov 10, 2011 Nikki Fordey rated it really liked it
Kristen
Oct 07, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it
In Gary Braver's Flashback, he took us on another journey. In this one, it dealt with the mind and our memory bank. When Jack Karoyer returned back to his family's cottage of the 13th anniversary of his mother's mysterious drowning, he was attacked by a group of rare jellyfish with poisonous stings that put him in a coma for six months. After he woke up, he learned that the jellyfish had left him with an extraordinary memory that impressed the doctors. On the downside, it left him with some kind ...more
Callie
Mar 06, 2013 Callie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, book-club, 2013
A medical thriller that reminded me completely of Robin Cook's books, which I read voraciously as a teenager. While the book could have used more editing (almost 600 pages in a paperback is really too long for a thriller), the second half really flew by. My only other complaint was that the very end, the last chapter, felt very tacked on and unnecessary. (view spoiler) ...more
Marsha
Aug 08, 2008 Marsha rated it it was amazing
Heart pounding medical thriller which explores the nature of memory, the ability of the brain to repair itself and the consequences of human drug trials rushed to approval. A new drug, which reduces the plaque on the neurons of Alzheimers patients seems like a miracle cure until some of the patients start to relive traumatic childhood experiences resulting in accidental death, suicide and murder.

Margo
Aug 07, 2012 Margo rated it liked it
Lots of mystery, not a cliff hanger, almost predictable. However, it was a good read of excellent writing and it posed some interesting questions such as "how far would a drug company go to protect its interests?"
The interpersonal relationships in the story were distant and the parts that represented violent intent seems almost too detached to be convincing.
I would prefer not reading it again, but suggest that it would be satisfying if you like mystery.

Alex Robinson
Mar 06, 2013 Alex Robinson rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book & thought it was more like a 3 1/2 +....I wish there were 1/2 stars. Well written & researched. The feeling of dread stayed with me throughout the book, exactly what the author said was his goal in all his thrillers. I flew threw the last 100 pgs. Meeting the author , learning his story & journey added a different dimension to the book as well. A solid read.
Terrie
Oct 21, 2007 Terrie rated it liked it
I was a huge fan of Gray Matter, and liked Elixir, but this also seems like a variation on a theme of the same plot. The detailed flashback scenes were not really necessary, and none of those characters were really developed beyond that. I did think it wrapped up nicely, and it was hard to guess exactly what the "twist" was going to be at the end.
Sherry
Sep 15, 2008 Sherry rated it liked it
a man is stung by multiple scandinavian jelly fish and slips into a coma. turns out that this same jelly fish toxin is the basis for a drug that "cures" alzheimers- except it causes terrible flashbacks. good story, kept me engaged and wanted to find out what happened next.
Jul 15, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok
I guess...it just wasn't what I was expecting. The 'medical intrigue' part of the plot was soooo obvious, and how it connected with the personal lives of the main characters felt like an afterthought. Sorry, but I can't recommend this one.
Christine
Mar 03, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-group-read
Have not read yet but went to hear this author speak tonight. Very interesting . Bought 4 of his books and he signed them
Sarah Davis
Feb 13, 2016 Sarah Davis rated it it was ok
I chose 2 stars, but in reality I would make it closer to 2 3/4 stars. I didn't totally like it but I didn't hate it either. So a high 2 - low 3.
Liz
Jan 27, 2010 Liz rated it liked it
I used to love medical thrillers until I noticed that I was imagining all the symptoms ;0) I must be less of a hypochondriac because I didn't notice that with this one.
Mainrun
Feb 22, 2010 Mainrun rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Kind of an interesting book. I remember it after reading the description. Sometimes I don't remember books.
Mom gayheart
Mom gayheart rated it liked it
May 20, 2010
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2011
Eva
Eva rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2014
Todd Ward
Todd Ward rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it did not like it
Jun 05, 2015
Jed Lamprey
Jed Lamprey rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2010
Janet Kast
Janet Kast rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2012
John E.
John E. rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2008
Titaniel
Titaniel rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2016
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
May 05, 2013
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2012
Bezzerck
Bezzerck rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2014
Neen L
Neen L rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2014
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Sharon Johnson
Sharon Johnson rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Tower
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
  • Death Mask
  • An Enemy of the People: An Adaptation of the Play by Henrik Ibsen
  • The Season of Open Water
  • The Afterlife Diet
  • The Art of Breaking Glass
  • Höhenrausch
  • Liberation Day (Nick Stone, #5)
  • Shipwreck
  • Smash Trash! (Disney/Pixar: WALL-E: Step into Reading Step 1)
  • Jump at the Sun
  • Biscuit's Pet & Play Halloween
  • The Oregon Legacy (The Holts, #1)
  • Littlest Owl
  • Bewitching The Highlander (Men Of The Mist #3)
  • Mistress Bradstreet: The Untold Life of America's First Poet
Gary Braver is the pen name of Gary Goshgarian, the author of six critically acclaimed suspense novels: three under his own name--Atlantis Fire, Rough Beast and The Stone Circle--and three under his pen name--Elixir, Gray Matter, and Flashback. He is also the author of four popular college writing textbooks--Exploring Language, The Contemporary Reader, Dialogues, and What Matters in America.

Gary G
More about Gary Braver...