3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  16 reviews
If you could relive your childhood, would you? What if you had no choice?

On the thirtieth anniversary of his mothers' mysterious drowning, Jack Koryan returns to his family beach cottage. During a swim, Jack is attacked by a school of rare jellyfish whose toxic stings put him in a coma for six mths.

When he awakens, he finds that the jellyfish toxin has left him with an ext...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Forge Books (first published 2005)

Nikki Frankel
Fran
Author: Gary Braver
Reviewed by Fran Lewis

Swimming in the ocean should not be dangerous to your health and welfare except if a school of toxic jellyfish get hungry and decide to feed on you. Jack Koryan on the eve of opening up his own restaurant on the 30th anniversary of the death of his mother, he has a run in with these jellyfish leaving his body covered with toxic burns. As a result he is left in a comatose state for a very long time.
Alzheimer’s has no cure and there are at present...more
Callie
A medical thriller that reminded me completely of Robin Cook's books, which I read voraciously as a teenager. While the book could have used more editing (almost 600 pages in a paperback is really too long for a thriller), the second half really flew by. My only other complaint was that the very end, the last chapter, felt very tacked on and unnecessary. (view spoiler)...more
Margo
Lots of mystery, not a cliff hanger, almost predictable. However, it was a good read of excellent writing and it posed some interesting questions such as "how far would a drug company go to protect its interests?"
The interpersonal relationships in the story were distant and the parts that represented violent intent seems almost too detached to be convincing.
I would prefer not reading it again, but suggest that it would be satisfying if you like mystery.

Marsha
Heart pounding medical thriller which explores the nature of memory, the ability of the brain to repair itself and the consequences of human drug trials rushed to approval. A new drug, which reduces the plaque on the neurons of Alzheimers patients seems like a miracle cure until some of the patients start to relive traumatic childhood experiences resulting in accidental death, suicide and murder.

Alex Robinson
I enjoyed this book & thought it was more like a 3 1/2 +....I wish there were 1/2 stars. Well written & researched. The feeling of dread stayed with me throughout the book, exactly what the author said was his goal in all his thrillers. I flew threw the last 100 pgs. Meeting the author , learning his story & journey added a different dimension to the book as well. A solid read.
Terrie
I was a huge fan of Gray Matter, and liked Elixir, but this also seems like a variation on a theme of the same plot. The detailed flashback scenes were not really necessary, and none of those characters were really developed beyond that. I did think it wrapped up nicely, and it was hard to guess exactly what the "twist" was going to be at the end.
Sherry
a man is stung by multiple scandinavian jelly fish and slips into a coma. turns out that this same jelly fish toxin is the basis for a drug that "cures" alzheimers- except it causes terrible flashbacks. good story, kept me engaged and wanted to find out what happened next.
I guess...it just wasn't what I was expecting. The 'medical intrigue' part of the plot was soooo obvious, and how it connected with the personal lives of the main characters felt like an afterthought. Sorry, but I can't recommend this one.
Kristen
This is a great medical thriller, reminiscent of Michael Palmer's "Miracle Cure", about finding the cure for Alzheimer's patients from toxins from a rare jellyfish and with dangerous effects. A great thriller indeed.
Liz
I used to love medical thrillers until I noticed that I was imagining all the symptoms ;0) I must be less of a hypochondriac because I didn't notice that with this one.
Christine
Have not read yet but went to hear this author speak tonight. Very interesting . Bought 4 of his books and he signed them
Mainrun
Kind of an interesting book. I remember it after reading the description. Sometimes I don't remember books.
Biba
Pretty much predictable and littered with typos and grammatical errors!
C.
Jun 24, 2008 C. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
Goes beyond mystery/thriller formula. Page turner.
Dawn
This book is an excellent read.
Jd
Jd is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2014
Michelle Lise
Michelle Lise marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
KZ
KZ added it
Mar 08, 2014
Dad
Dad marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Gary Braver is the pen name of Gary Goshgarian, the author of six critically acclaimed suspense novels: three under his own name--Atlantis Fire, Rough Beast and The Stone Circle--and three under his pen name--Elixir, Gray Matter, and Flashback. He is also the author of four popular college writing textbooks--Exploring Language, The Contemporary Reader, Dialogues, and What Matters in America.

Gary G...more
More about Gary Braver...
Gray Matter Elixir Tunnel Vision Skin Deep Atlantis Fire