Start by marking “Gunner: Hurricane Horse” as Want to Read:
Gunner: Hurricane Horse

Gunner: Hurricane Horse (True Horse Stories)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Each book in the True Horse Stories focuses on a contemporary horse from a different part of the world, and each animal is, in his or her own way, a hero.

PBJ Decks Smokin Gun (Gunner) is an American Paint Horse, one of the many of Heather Lott Goodwin's herd, and a valuable show animal that won the World Championship Paint Horse title. When Hurricane Katrina passed over th
Published September 14th 2010 by Tundra Books (first published July 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Gunner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gunner

Hilary
Each book in the True Horse Stories focuses on a contemporary horse from a different part of the world, and each animal is a “hero.” This is the sixth title in the non-fiction series and reads like a novel.

When Hurricane Katrina passed over Heather Goodwin’s ranch, it took with it the fences, the chickens, and several horses. For weeks, Heather and her family sheltered in their horse trailer – and considered themselves lucky for the housing. As they re-built the property and their lives, they se
Marg
Overall it is a good (and true) story. I love the horse - his personality and his tricks, however, probably drove his handlers/owners nuts sometimes! In terms of execution of the story, it could have been done better. I hadn't realized it was a children's book until I actually had the book (I ordered it online). So it was a bit more simplistic then I would have liked, but that part is ok. I had issues though with the timeline. Normally you go from A to B to C. In this book, I had to re-read seve ...more
Alicia
I bought this thinking it was adult non fiction, only to have a Children's book arrive. Since I had it, I figured I would read it. Quick read, but could have been a bit more entertaining. Felt like I was reading a news article a lot of the time. Still, not a bad way to waste a few hours.
Steph
As a horse lover, I fell in love with this book right from the beginning. The story of Gunner and his owner touched me immensely. I don't want to give away the entire plot behind the story, but suffice it to say Gunner went through more than one ordeal. After reading this, I want to go out and ride through the pastures on a beautiful little Paint horse. This book seems as though it is geared mostly toward children, though I can say that at the age of 25 I still very much enjoyed it.
Ryane
This book is about a family that survived Hurricane Katrina. I loved it and I cried happy and sad tears. If you love horses, read it! If you love animal stories, read it! If you love stories about courage and sacrifice and endurance, read it!
Joellen
Great story for horse lovers. Was thinking of using this for our book competition for 4th and 5th graders but Gunner kills chickens by rolling on them! Also, the little boy dies in a trailer accident in the epilogue of this true story.
Colleen
More like 3 1/2. Great story but a few parts were a bit too old for a MG book I think.
Karen Vandenbosch
Super short book, kids book but well worth reading for any horse lover. True story.
Denise
Nice story. So much was left out though it felt shallow.
Tahnee Maguire
Nice story but didn't like the writing style
Loisa
Loisa added it
May 21, 2015
Courtney Fiber
Courtney Fiber marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Karen Gagnon
Karen Gagnon marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Kari S
Kari S marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Karen  A. Goderstad
Karen A. Goderstad marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
Mar 18, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Tundra author Judy Andrekson grew up in Nova Scotia with a pen in one hand and a lead rope in the other. At the age of twenty, she moved to Alberta, where she could pursue her great love of horses, and there she found her dream job managing a thoroughbred racing/breeding farm. By her thirties, Judy had also begun to write seriously. Now she combines both of her passions in her new series for young ...more
More about Judy Andrekson...

True Horse Stories (6 books)
  • JB Andrew: Mustang Magic
  • Miskeen: The Dancing Horse
  • Brigadier: Gentle Hero
  • Little Squire: The Jumping Pony
  • Fosta: Marathon Master
JB Andrew: Mustang Magic Brigadier: Gentle Hero Miskeen: The Dancing Horse Little Squire: The Jumping Pony Fosta: Marathon Master