Start by marking “Sandstorm (Sigma Force, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sandstorm (Sigma Force, #1)

Sandstorm (Sigma Force #1)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  27,546 Ratings  ·  1,181 Reviews
An inexplicable explosion rocks the antiquities collection of a London museum, setting off alarms in clandestine organizations around the world.
And now the search for answers is leading Lady Kara Kensington; her friend Safia al-Maaz, the gallery's brilliant and beautiful curator; and their guide, the international adventurer Omaha Dunn, into a world they never dreamed exi
Audio CD
Published July 26th 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published June 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Sandstorm, please sign up.

Shane The later books do have spoilers about earlier ones... if you are going to read one or two, it shouldn't matter, but if you plan to read them all I…moreThe later books do have spoilers about earlier ones... if you are going to read one or two, it shouldn't matter, but if you plan to read them all I suggest reading them in order.(less)

Bill
Feb 24, 2014 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, nook
Sandstorm started out in London with a literal bang and ended with a storm of supposedly epic proportions in an ancient desert city. But by the time it did, I didn't care anymore. All I saw was a swirly world of sand, glass, and static electricity populated by cardboard characters. The good ones would probably survive and the bad ones wouldn't and so what. What happened in between was pedestrian and predictable thriller fare with too many guns and action and not enough thrill.

Anti-matter? Bucky
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Well, if you're going to have insomnia, this is one heck of a book to have handy. It took me a long time to finish this book because I had so many irons in the fire towards the end of last year. I am so glad that I did pick it up now, because it turned out to be a very rewarding read.

Just a few of Danielle's Late Night Review Observations:

1) James Rollins writes detail-oriented, science heavy action/adventure. It took me a bit to get used to his writing style, but I have to say it really worked
Mike
Aug 02, 2007 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: action movie fans
This is the first of James Rollins's "Sigma Force" novels. This is different than most of the books that are in my book list, quite different in some cases.
It's basically an action movie in book form, but it's a good one, like Indiana Jones style. And Rollins seems to know that it's that kind of adventure. One of the characters is referred to as "Indiana Jones" occasionally. It's the kind of humor I like in books, the wink to the audience that everything is kind tounge in cheek.
But even with it
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
The first Sigma Force Novel.

A freak explosion in the Meuseum of Natural History in London sets off a chain reaction of events. A race to find out what caused the explosion and find the source begins, with deadly consequences for the civilized world. Painter Crow, hardened CIA operative takes a job at DARPA in the newly organized "Sigma Force." Their first mission takes them into the scalding Saudi desert in search of the unknown. The answers may be older than Christ and rooted in obscure script
Billy
Apr 06, 2014 Billy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not nearly as good as I expected...,

I read & loved Map of Bones, Rollins most recent release, so I picked up this book thinking it would be just as good. I moved backwards to this predecessor because I had not heard of Rollins before. Mistake!
I cannot start a book & not finish it & I don't like to read more than one book at a time; personal quirks I live with. Usually I read a book a week, because I usually find good reads based on reviews, research & sales. There was nothing to
Brian Steele
Apr 08, 2012 Brian Steele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, adventure
Simply put, I love this guy's work. Less "bromantic" than Clive Cussler and more accessible than Micheal Crichton, both of whom I do enjoy, his tales are just fun, adventurous, and often educational. I wanted to read the Sigma Force books in order, so it took me a while until I could track down the first in the series - and I wasn't disappointed.

With any literature of this type, you have to be able to muster up a certain suspension of belief. Sigma Force, in itself, is a wild concept - scientist
Jonetta
Good adventure story but I got lost in the science and wanted more operational intrigue. It's non-stop action though, and I plan to continue the series.
Zoey
Aaron
Feb 23, 2014 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is essentially exactly what I've been looking for: a smart action-adventure techno-thriller with interesting characters (and heroes I cared enough about to fully root for - unlike Robert Langdon, Jack Reacher, Dirk Pitt, Pike Logan, Mitch Rapp, and the rest to date), involving ancient mysteries, theoretical science, and a splash of the supernatural. Indiana Jones and the Uncharted games were my baseline for the kind of story I was in the mood to read. It was fairly hard to lock down that sp ...more
Stephen
3.5 stars. A fun, action packed thriller that reminded me of Indiana Jones meets Tom Clancy with some excellent "fantastical" elements woven into the story as added flavor. I read this novel as it is the first of the SIGMA Force series and I thought the description of the group was interesting (think special forces made up of scientists). I look forward to reading more novels involving this group.
Toni Moore
I don't usually read thrillers. OK, I did read "The Da Vinci Code" along with 12 million other people. And I enjoyed reading it, just because I wanted to know what happened next. In retrospect, it's pretty silly. Anyway, I read an interview of James Rollins in a recent writing magazine ("The Writer") and was intrigued by the protagonists in a series he writes. The Sigma Force is a team of special operatives who are also scientists. Rollins calls them "scientists with guns." Anyway, I downloaded ...more
Sarah Anne
3.5 stars. It's 4 stars for action, adventure, and the historical/mythological fun. 3 stars for the writing. "Once again, she was surprised by his astute intuitiveness" And how many wells are there? Well of strength, well of grief, well of loss, well of strength and vulnerability, well of ice, well of water, well of corruption, well of warm feelings, well of deeper emotion... Seriously, that's even worse than I thought!

I believe these things were a bit more jarring because I was listening to the
Mike French
Sep 11, 2015 Mike French rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book of the Sigma series.The best of series that I have so far. Kept me interested from start to finish!
Maruf Hossain
লনডন মিউজিয়ামে বিসফোরণ দিয়ে বইয়ের শুরু। এই বিসফোরণের মাধযমে অনেকগুলা ঘটনা ঘটার চেইন রি-অযাকশনের সূতরপাত। তারপর একের পর এক রহসয আর অনেকগুলো পরশনের উদভব। সেসব পরশনের উততর আর হারিয়ে যাওয়া শহর উবারের সনধানে ওমানে পাড়ি জমাল সিগমা ফোরস টিম, লেডী কারা কেনসিংটন, সুনদরী এবং বিদূষী ড. সাফিয়া আল-মায়াজ এবং নামকরা পরতনতাততবিক ওমাহা ডান। একের পর এক বাধা আর আকরমণের মুখে ওরা। বিপদের মাতরা আরও বাড়িয়ে দিল সিগমা ফোরস করমী পেইনটার করো’র পরাকতন সহকরমী। শতরু সব সময়ই এক ধাপ এগিয়ে থাকে ওদের চেয়ে।

কী পছনদ করেন আপনি? অযাক
Krbo
Jun 23, 2015 Krbo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sad smo malkice u pustinji, akcije i neobičnosti ne nedostaje, a to je čak i prvi dio njegovog Sigma serijala - šteta što ga više nije prevedeno.

Shuk Pakhi
Dec 24, 2015 Shuk Pakhi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
এক ঝড়ের রাতে জাদুঘরে রাখা পরাচীন একটি আরটিফযাকটের কাছে অদভূত আলো দেখা যায়। আর এর পর পরই ঘটে বিসফোরণ। পরীকষা করে পাওয়া যায় এযানটিমেটারের অসতিতব, যা কিনা বিপুল শকতির উৎস। শুরু হয়ে যায় এই কষমতা কবজা করার পরতিযোগিতা। খুঁজে পেতে হবে দু হাজার বছর আগে হারিয়ে যাওয়া এক শহর। যাকে এখনো পাহাড়া দিচছে রাণী ও রাজার বংশধররা।

পরচুর টেকনোলজিকযাল বিষয় রয়েছে, রয়েছে পরচুর এযাকশন, কিঞচিৎ রোমানসও আছে আরো আছে অযৌকতিক হলেও গলপে সতযি টাইপের অনেক কিছু.....সব মিলিয়ে মজা পেলাম।
Rafsan Riyadh
Apr 05, 2016 Rafsan Riyadh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
পাঠ পরযালোচনা
"সযানডসটরম"
মূলঃ জেমস রলিনস
রুপানতরঃ মোঃ ফুয়াদ আল ফিদাহ

জেমস রলিনসের ননদিত সিগমা ফোরস সিরিজের পরথম বই "সযানডসটরম"। লনডন মিউজিয়ামে আশচরয এক বিসফোরণে ধবংস হয়ে যায় লেডি কারা কেনসিংটনের বযকতিগত গযালারি। গযালারির দায়িতবে থাকা আরকিওলজিসট সাফিয়া আল মায়াজ আর কারার অতীতের সাথে কিভাবে তা সংযুকত। ঘটনাচকরে আমেরিকার গোপন বাহিনী সিগমা ফোরস এর সাথে জড়িয়ে পড়ে।সিগমার পেইনটার করো দিশেহারা, পরতিপকষ হিসেবে আছে গিলড আর তার পরাকতন সহকরমী। রহসযের সমাধান আছে ওমানে। কিনতু ওমানে তাদের জনয ওঁত পেতে আছে সমরণকালের
Cher
1.5 stars - I didn't like it.

DNF'd around 20%. Just not my type of book - very plot driven and action packed which normally leaves me bored and distracted; quite the paradox.

--------------------------------
First Sentence: Harry Masterson would be dead in thirteen minutes.
Adnan Rizon
Apr 09, 2016 Adnan Rizon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
জেমস রোলিনস সমপরকে কি আর বলার! অযাকশন+অযাডভেঞচার থরিলারের রাজপুতরই বলা যায় তাকে। তার লেখাগুলোর মাঝে সবচেয়ে জনপরিয় সিরিজ হল 'সিগমা ফোরস'। আর এই সিগমা সিরিজেরই পরথম বই 'সযানডসটরম'।
বযাখযার অতীত এক বিসফোরনে কেঁপে উঠল লনডন মিউজিয়াম। বিসফোরনের উৎপততি মিউজিয়ামের নরথ উইং এর 'কেনসিংটন গযালারী'তে। বহু বছর আগে নিজের বাবার অনতরধানের সাথে এই বিসফোরণের সামঞজসয খুজতে বের হল লেডি কারা কেনসিংটন, তার বানধবী ড. সাফিয়া আল মায়াজ, পরতনতাততবিক ওমাহা ডান। তাদের সাথে যোগ দিল আমেরিকান সংসথা ডারপা-র বিশেষ ইউনিট সিগমা ফোরস
VijayaRaghavan S N
Guys and girls, let's do something interesting. Take a big pitcher. Put in some Indiana Jones, Robert Langdon, Ethan Hunt and Jack Reacher into it. Now cover the mouth of the pitcher. If you have watched Bond movies you would be familiar with this dialogue. No...not 'Bond...James Bond'... Its this... "Martini...shaken...not stirred"... Do the same.. Start shaking it just the way how bartenders in the film do it... Do the stirring too... Now, the stuff sitting in front of you is 'Sandstorm' writt ...more
Inês Beato
Finalmente terminei o primeiro livro da série Sigma, de James Rollins (vá-se lá saber porquê, as editoras portuguesas parecem incapazes de publicar as coleções pela sua ordem cronológica).
Eu costumo apreciar bastante as obras de Rollins, são normalmente fluidas, repletas de ação, com personagens cativantes e enredos de cortar a respiração. Apesar de ter gostado de "A Cidade Perdida" e de acompanhar Painter Crowe nesta aventura, não senti tanto empolgamento desta vez como nas leituras anteriores
Freda Malone
Apr 24, 2015 Freda Malone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much of what is in the blurb is what I was going to describe in this review so I will try to be brief. Aside from a couple of far fetched incidents during gunfights and wounds, most of the physics, chemistry, cities and tribes described in this story are factual. However, the ‘underground city’ is not. However, the way Rollins blended his facts and fiction make is seem real and adventurous throughout. I love reading about archaeological digs in books when they are coupled with imagination and fi ...more
Barbara ★
When reading this I didn't realize it was the first in the series, as I have read a couple others but that certainly explains a few things. A freak lightning storm causes an explosion at a London museum which in turns sends all kinds of people racing to the Omani desert in search of the lost city of Ubar.

You have a few DARPA representatives (Painter Crowe and Coral Novak), a Guild operative (Cassandra Sanchez), a millionaire with ties to Oman, the museum curator born in Oman, a few archeologist
Maurean
Jul 19, 2008 Maurean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maurean by: Bill
I thoroughly enjoyed this fast paced, action-packed thriller/adventure novel that is the first in his series of the SIGMA Force and Painter Crowe.

This one begins with an explosion of an antiquities collection of a London museum. Lady Kara Kensington's family paid to found the gallery that is now in ruins. In search of answers, she and her friend Safia al-Maaz, the gallery's curator, embark on a quest to Ubar, a lost city buried beneath the Arabian desert. But these two women and their guide, Dr.
Tita
Jun 03, 2010 Tita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meus, livros-2010
Neste livro de James Rollins acompanhamos Painter Crowe como operacional da SIGMA, em vez do habitual Pierce.
A história começa com uma explosão no Museu Britânico, que está envolta de um mistério. Assim, Safia al-Maaz, Kara Kensington e Omaha Dunn partem numa expedição para Oman, juntamente com Crowe e a sua parceira Coral, para tentarem encontrar a cidade perdida de Ubar.
Este livro tem uma acção um ritmo frenético, quase de nos deixar sem fôlego, em que o autor misturou esta acção com personage
Renee
May 06, 2011 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is our first introduction to Painter Crowe and the series by James Rollins. I like this author a lot. His background as a veterinarian has led him to be a thorough researcher and lends credibility to his worldbuilding and plots. His characters are more three-dimentional than one might expect in this genre. The good guys have bad points and serious issues and the bad guys all have valid reasons (at least to them) for doing what they're doing.

This is a high stakes doomsday plot that's first r
Pam (E.P. Scott)
The first in the Sigma series, Sandstorm is a high action packed adventure that takes us on a wild ride of mysterious explosions, enigmatic elusive tribes, lost artifacts and...(I love this word)...BUCKEYBALLS!

There isn't anything to dislike in this book. James Rollin's has done a spectacular job with his crisp writing style that takes the reader on a rollercoaster adventure with these wonderful characters. Suspense, thrills, excitment, love, pain... all expertly portrayed by the author.

Vivid im
Mark
Feb 15, 2016 Mark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Number of times the word "simply" is used: 48

Number of times the word "folk" or "folks" is used: 25 and 11, respectively

I hold a sign out to my neighbors. It reads: "Your Music Sucks!" And Rollins is telling me about ball lightning and I go to the downstairs bathroom and flick the switch and one of the two bulbs blows and I know it's because I'm storing kinetic energy or something, that Rollins has burdened me with static electricity and my hair is standing on end, not because it's cut short bu
Alexander Draganov
Fun adventurous novel with some interesting ideas, but a bit longer than necessary. Strong ending and likeable characters make up for the dull middle part.
Asif Anonto
শেষ পরযনত পড়া শেষ করলাম Sandstorm.... কেমন লাগলো ? আসলেই অসাধারণ !!! অসাধারণ!!! এই বইয়ের রিভিউ দেয়ার সাধয আমার নাই... শুধু বলতে পারি আমার পড়া সেরা বইগুলোর মাঝে একটি... James Rollins hats off man... how come you write this book... too much information but presented in a orderly manner so that it can't bored me out... past and present coincide here amazingly .....
The depiction of Action scene was too elaborated that i could clearly see it in my imagination....
James Rollins writes detail-oriente
2015 Reading Chal...: Sandstorm by James Rollins 1 10 Mar 12, 2015 09:34PM
  • Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • Legend (Event Group Thriller #2)
  • River Of Ruin (Philip Mercer, #5)
  • Raising Atlantis (Conrad Yeats Adventure #1)
  • Ice Limit
  • Temple
  • The Ark (Tyler Locke, #1)
  • The Admiral's Mark (Cotton Malone, #0.5)
  • Serpent (NUMA Files, #1)
James Rollins is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of international thrillers that have been translated into more than forty languages. Known for unveiling unseen worlds, scientific breakthroughs, and historical secrets, Rollins has a knack for breakneck pacing and stunning originality that has been hailed by critics and embraced by millions of readers around the world.
More about James Rollins...

Sigma Force (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
  • Black Order (Sigma Force, #3)
  • The Judas Strain (Sigma Force, #4)
  • The Last Oracle (Sigma Force, #5)
  • The Doomsday Key (Sigma Force, #6)
  • The Devil Colony (Sigma Force, #7)
  • Bloodline (Sigma Force, #8)
  • The Eye of God (Sigma Force #9)
  • The 6th Extinction (Sigma Force, #10)
  • The Bone Labyrinth (Sigma Force, #11)

“Though it was undeclared, there was a new world war being waged, where fundamental decency and respect for human rights were under assault by forces of intolerance, despotism, and blind fervor. And while its battles were sometimes waged in plain sight-- in New York City, in Iraq-- its greater struggle was carried on invisibly, fought in secret, its heroes unknown, its villains hidden.” 4 likes
“When someone is always looking over their shoulder, they’re more likely to trip.” 4 likes