Blank-133x176
The Quarry

Mildred Walker

The Quarry

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In this family saga, generations mine the Vermont earth and come to rest in it. Lyman Converse is too young to fight in the Civil War, but he lives to see his own son enlist in World War I. Through all the years his closest friend is Easy, an escaped black slave who took refuge in his father’s house. Everything Converse values most is gradually lost to time, including the...more
paperback
Published 1995 by Bison Books, University of Nebraska Press (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about The Quarry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quarry

Momster2001
I thoroughly enjoyed this quick read about Vermont during the Civil War up until WWI. The details of small town life are woven beautifully amongst the themes of romance, duty, change, gender roles, and a myriad of other topics. I read this for a library discussion book in Grafton, Vermont, historical home of a soapstone quarry. Ms. Walker knew Grafton well and uses the Quarry as a centerpiece of her novel and a metaphor for the lives of characters in her book. While reading this book I kept envi...more
Karen
I read this book expecting something similar to Mildred Walker's "Winter Wheat" which I loved. This spanned a far greater time period and didn't have as strong of a voice, but it was an interesting book to read. It especially interested me to read about the Civil War and North vs. South issues as written in the 1940's -- years after the civil war itself, but pre-civil rights movement.
Giovanna
This Mildred Walker is set in Vermont around the Civil War, and while I liked it, I would not recommend it as a first or only Walker novel...others of hers that I've read are set in Montana and Michigan in the mid 20th c--this one struck me as a very different type of book.
Mary Chambers
A very interesting read about the Civil war era.
Bev
Interesting tale of an unfulfilled man's life from antebellum to pre WWI Vermont. I was sometimes impatient with the main character's dishonesty but it was a meaningful story.
Kristen Mcmanaway
Kristen Mcmanaway marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Stacie
Stacie marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2013
Joan Granlund
Joan Granlund marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2012
Amelia Curits
Amelia Curits marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2012
Amy Randall-ray
Amy Randall-ray marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2012
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2012
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2012
Cris Robison
Cris Robison marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2011
Mary Chambers
Mary Chambers marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2011
Winter Wheat The Curlew's Cry Fireweed The Southwest Corner If a Lion Could Talk