Start by marking “Where Eagles Dare ” as Want to Read:
Where Eagles Dare

Where Eagles Dare

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  32,139 Ratings  ·  251 Reviews
Eight Allied agents — seven men and a woman — parachute onto a mountainside behind enemy lines in wartime Germany. Their mission: to rescue an American general before the Nazis can force him to reveal secret D-Day plans.
Published (first published June 1st 1967)

Andrei Tamaş
Jan 18, 2016 Andrei Tamaş rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aveam în jur de 14 ani când am citit cartea aceasta. Este una dintre primele cărţi citite şi parcă am şi-acum în faţa ochilor colecţia bibliotecii Adevărul, romanul acesta fiind eterogen orânduirii celorlaltor cărţi. L-am luat şi am început, calm, să citesc. Eram în perioada în care mai toţi adolescenţii de gen masculin sunt pasionaţi de Al Doilea Război Mondial. M-a ţinut în suspans o noapte întreagă.
Cartea această are 5 steluţe din două motive: 1. pentru că la vremea respectivă mi-a plăcut eno
Scribble Orca
Oct 02, 2012 Scribble Orca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, suspense
I'm about to review a modern techno-thriller and while researching the author something jogged my 14 year old self's memory of Alistair McLean.

I gobbled his books in high school - I remember when The Eagle Has Landed was all the big rage and I read it, sure, like everyone else, but Alistair had me hooked and I ploughed through his entire oeuvre (or at least as much as our high school library budget allowed) during one year.

Then I forgot all about him until two days ago. I suppose that will be an
Nandakishore Varma
Dec 23, 2015 Nandakishore Varma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war
Had I reviewed this in my thriller-loving youth, I would have given it five stars. It is the adventure story par excellence: the secret mission behind enemy lines carried out by a group of intrepid adventurers: the snowbound castle up in the sky: fights on the top a moving cable car: and double-crosses, double-double-crosses and (even) double-double-double-crosses.

However, nowadays I find all such stories shallow, the adventure rather juvenile and the Anglo-centric view a bit nauseating. Hence t
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Alistair MacLean wrote the screen play for his close friend, Richard Burton. Burton's star power was sliding at the time of the film and he wanted an action film along the lines of Maclean's bestseller and hit movie, The Guns of Navarone. And he got it! The novel is in fact based upon the screenplay, rather than the other way around - slightly odd.

I watched the film last night and I had to read the novel. And it is the screenplay. The first 30 pages are a bit slow, since one really can't get the
Rich
This is based on MacLean's own script for the movie, which he wrote for his friend, Richard Burton. It is full-throated, roaring adventure, complete with a parachute drop behind enemy lines to attack a Nazi stronghold in the mountains of Germany, twists and turns double-crosses and triple-crosses, everything that made MacLean's novels so much fun. Guns, planes, explosions, what more can you ask for?
Trev Twinem
It was always going to be difficult to enjoy this book having just read and been astounded by the brilliant Submerged by Thomas F Monteleone. As a youth I have fond memories of the boys own type thrillers by Scottish born Alistair McLean, and on initial reading I recall that Where Eagles Dare was a first class page-turner. Unfortunately revisiting this 2ndWW thriller after many years has not proved so enjoyable.

The story starts off with a great flourish when Major Smith and Lt Shaffer together
Ritwik
Jun 19, 2015 Ritwik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 2.5 really.
The book 'Where Eagles DARE' starts with a trifling irony. Before a sky-drop scene into the German lands to pursue a high class search and rescue mission of an eminent person, the characters(soldiers specially chosen and obviously quite able) visibly seem to lose their calm and start contemplating death in a nervous set of dialogues and the confusing character introduction.
A plot with the premise of an ever-interesting World War II scenario where the author chooses to aim and enla
John Rollo
Jan 11, 2013 John Rollo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Rollo
Period 3
Where Eagles Dare by: Alistair MacLean

The story Where Eagles Dare started off a bit slow for me, but as the story went on, the action really kicked in. The story begins with a problem, an important American general is being held hostage in a secret Gestapo facility by the SS. Britain is America’s closest ally to the situation and is called in to help. They assemble a team of men to infiltrate the facility and the book is than filled with mysteries and unfortunate scenarios for
Craig Andrews
Unusually this book is not a novelization, it was written at the same time as the script and as such it's practically identical to the film. However because of that quite a few sections read a little sluggishly as it's not as fast paced as the film. Where Eagles Dare is quite possibly my favourite 'Christmas Movie' from when I was a kid and the book was a slight disappointment (the films still rocks).
Sonia Gomes
Nov 04, 2012 Sonia Gomes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Alistair MacLean, his books talked about WWII, which fascinates me. My father fought in that War, oh the tales we heard! Being young girls however, those tales bored us to tears.

Alistair MacLean captures the spirit of those days beautifully
Mark
Jun 13, 2015 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story carelessly written. Except for the first chapter, it reads like the second draft of a finished novel.

There are some interesting characters but they develop not by the author revealing their personalities to the reader but by the author gradually inventing them.

A read that the MacLean wrote the book and screenplay simultaneously. I think that explains the quality of the book's writing.

The attempts by the author to have as few as possible people killed are at times absurd and though
Jeff Dawson
Feb 27, 2015 Jeff Dawson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's Alistair MacLean. Need I say more?
James Phillips
Jun 02, 2013 James Phillips rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A masterful spy thriller set in WWII. A rag-tag group of MI-6 operatives along with one American OSS agent are sent to Bavaria, deep behind enemy lines to rescue a captured US Army general who has information on the Second Front (the invasion of Europe) before he spills all their secrets. This is not an action war book one would expect. Maclean's story is a page-turning thriller that includes misdirection, red herrings and double-crosses. The dialog is smart between characters and the Germans ar ...more
Swathi Chatrapathy
Feb 22, 2016 Swathi Chatrapathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: justbooks
I rarely read action or thriller books, but this one was exceptional. Loved it for the language, the descriptions and the setting of the book. And the thrill of it, of course. Every few pages had me exclaiming in shock. Very good book for anyone who likes to read.
Jino Chough
Jan 29, 2016 Jino Chough rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was pretty good. i liked the description that the author used, and the moral of the story was: dont trust anyone but yourself
Cameron C
Mar 03, 2015 Cameron C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: core-reading
Lynn
Mar 20, 2016 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espionage
When I was growing up, I spent a few vacations at my aunt and uncle's. My uncle was a prolific reader and had more books than anyone I knew. As an insatiable reader myself, I could spend hours just perusing all the books on his shelves and in the boxes. He had diverse tastes from farcical comedy to dense economics tomes. The sorting of books was haphazard, with a few exceptions. One of the exceptions was his Alistair MacLean collection arranged by date of publication.

I decided to take a walk do
Heather
Feb 25, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I have read several of MacLean's books, this remains my favorite. A small group against Nazi Germany...seemingly insurmountable odds...good stuff. It is the only MacLean I keep in my own library and I reread it every now and again. The interplay between Smith and Schaffer is amusing and the romance angle is not sappy.
I have to say that I was deeply disappointed in the Clint Eastwood movie of this book. As is usually the case, the book is so much better.
Michael Angliss
Sep 10, 2014 Michael Angliss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book I always think of whenever I need to remember what the perfect espionage thriller is. It is the ideal amulet to some of todays less-than-ideal contributions to the reading market. Most of the faster paced writing of today is good but dogged by flimsiness, which is what you never read in any of MacLean's earlier works, especially not in 'Where Eagles Dare'. They say that short stories force writers to hone every word to a resolved conquest over the bluntness of mediocrity: this b ...more
Shriram Jayachandran
WHERE EAGLES DARE is an action-adventure novel, set in the period of WWII. Though the plot consists of suspense,action and heroism, I find Alistair's writing, too elaborate. I don't know whether I am the only one who feels this way, but he sure did describe the situation and the scene a lot more than the action. On some pages, I really forgot which characters were involved in the scene. Such was the description of the scene. Sometimes, the description is so deep that, when I could not get some l ...more
Ankur
Sep 24, 2011 Ankur rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
this was touted as 1 of macleans best, and so i picked it froma cousin's place. cant say i liked it much tho - just abt ok.

The action is good, the pace is slick and the twists are totally unpredictable. but the whole narrative seems to be more fit for a visual representation rather than reading pleasure. The WW II setting is also almost ancient history for us, so we dont even connect that much.

Read if u r a fan, otherwise avoidable.

Joey
Dec 31, 2015 Joey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where Eagles Dare is an amazing read. The book is filled with vivid action and is immensely difficult to lay down.

This is the first book I read by Alistair MacLean and I am really, really happy I read it. Where Eagles Dare has been my favourite war movie since early on in my childhood and I was beyond excited to finally read the book. I was in no way disappointed.

(view spoiler)
Katie
I need to go back and rewatch the movie now. Decent war intrigue/mystery.
Mihai Giurgiulescu
Sep 24, 2015 Mihai Giurgiulescu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A good ol' fashioned romp through the endless Good v. Evil alternate history scenarios inspired by World war II, Where Eagles Dare is a classic spy thriller whose entertainment value remains as strong as ever almost fifty years after publication. It also helped that it was adapted immediately into a great adventure flick starring Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood. The book-movie pairing was extremely successful in this case because the author was heavily invested in both (MacLean wrote the scree ...more
Ada
Feb 11, 2013 Ada rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book.

I think a good book must make you tremble, laugh, leave you speechless, hold your breath, make you eager to read it, make you sorry you finished it so fast.

A good book should leave you with a big smile of satisfaction because you've read it. And it must leave you thinking about it long after you finished it.

This book as all of the above.

Kelanth
Mar 21, 2016 Kelanth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: guerra, ebook
Dove osano le aquile, in originale "Where Eagles Dare", è un romanzo dello scrittore scozzese Alistair MacLean edito nel 1967. Autore per lo più di romanzi thriller o storie di avventura, ha venduto con i suoi libri un totale stimato di 150 milioni di copie. Da questo romanzo è stato tratto il famoso omonimo film con protagonisti Richard Burton e Clint Eastwood.

La trama del romanzo: Durante la seconda guerra mondiale un commando di paracadutisti inglesi è incaricato di liberare il generale statu
Nicki
This is a tale of derring-do set in the Second World War. It ticks a lot of boxes. Treacherous, remote location? Check. Danger at every turn? Check. Rescue mission from Gestapo headquarters? Check. Brave, mad, brilliant Allied agent? Check.

The action bowls along, with everything taking place in a surprisingly short time. It's one hairy situation after another. But never fear, our main duo, Smith and Schaffer are indefatigable, indestructible, action men, defying death and injury at every turn.

O
Jacob Chinchen
Feb 19, 2016 Jacob Chinchen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Britain's Got Talon

Betrayal, lust, more betrayal, drama, suspense, cable cars, and what amounts to an unhealthy appetite for fire-starting. The novel is a classic wartime drama, and the father of the film which I've never consciously seen but believe my distrust of cable cars comes from.

Anyone expecting a tale featuring birds of prey challenging each other to accomplish feats of danger will be sorely (or soar-ly, haha) disappointed.