Start by marking “Flush” as Want to Read:
Flush

Flush

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  19,323 Ratings  ·  1,848 Reviews
Bestselling novelist Carl Hiaasen is back with another hysterical mystery adventure for young readers, set in the Florida Keys.

Noah's dad has a little problem with anger control. He tried to stop the Coral Queen casino boat's illegal dumping . . . by sinking the boat. But his bold protest fizzles: within days the casino is back in business, and Noah's dad is behind bars an
Published May 11th 2010 by Yearling (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Flush, please sign up.

Caiden Wallace It depends on what you think of as a good book. The writing isn't necessarily the best, but it's not bad either. The story is pretty interesting, and…moreIt depends on what you think of as a good book. The writing isn't necessarily the best, but it's not bad either. The story is pretty interesting, and it keeps you from getting too bored along the way as you read. I'm a little picky on the writing style of books, but, excluding the writing style, in my opinion, it's definitely well-written.

If you like books about justice (excluding books involving long periods of court), along with activism, but not obnoxious (no offense meant there) activism where people protest about every single thing, then you'll like this book.

I don't consider myself a big activist when it comes to the environment or animals, but I DO think there's SOME situations where action needs to be taken. I don't mean protesting, because, based on statistics, protesting VERY rarely works and actually usually ends up causing more harm than good. I'm meaning signing a petition or making donations.

Anyways, I actually ended up enjoying this book. It's not one of my favorites or anything, but it's still a good book.(less)
Caiden Wallace It's about a child's father who is thrown in jail for the wrong reasons. The story involves pollution, scams, manipulation, corruption, and justice,…moreIt's about a child's father who is thrown in jail for the wrong reasons. The story involves pollution, scams, manipulation, corruption, and justice, along with family ties and friends/enemies made along the way.(less)

Lauren
Mar 16, 2008 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Flush is a very good book it shows what people could risk for animals and nature. The boy in this book has a Dad that has been in jail many times when he was trying to protect wildlife. Wach him take a step while his dad is in jail and to prove that his dad is right.
Lars Guthrie
Feb 11, 2011 Lars Guthrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You might come to ‘Flush’ with two preconceptions.

Carl Hiaasen writes adult thrillers with a satirical tenor, often featuring characters from the trailer trash end of the social spectrum. So it’s likely that his children’s books will retain a bit of that edge.

Those adult thrillers, and Hiaasen’s books for younger readers, focus on environmentalism, so it’s likely that ‘Flush’ centers on that kind of issue.

Your preconceptions would be proven true.

The tone of ‘Flush’ is sardonic. It features a ba
Carmen Tryka
Apr 26, 2012 Carmen Tryka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andrea
After reading Hoot, I couldn't resist reading all of Carl Hiassen's young adult fiction for myself. I blew through this book in two nights. Absolutely fantastic! Another tale of environmental activism by young people and how it changes the world around them. I want to read this to my son before he loses that "I can do ANYTHING!" feeling that only the young and unscarred possess.

The book starts with Noah visiting his father in jail. He's there because he sank a casino boat after finding out that,
Caitlin L
Feb 06, 2013 Caitlin L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently finished, "Flush" by: Carl Hiaasen. It starts out kind of slow, but the more you read, the more you want to know! "Flush" is about a curious, determined boy, Noah Underwood, his tough, persistent sister Abbey, and their peculiar father who will stand up for anything that he thinks is right. Noah's dad gets put in jail for sinking skinflint Dusty Muleman's casino boat, The Coral Queen. Noah's dad didn't do this for no good reason at all, the truthful reason is that he thinks Dusty is f ...more
Taissa
Jun 19, 2015 Taissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good.
Carol Baldwin
Nov 03, 2011 Carol Baldwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FLUSH: An Example of What Every Book Should Include

I can't help myself. Whenever I read a book I'm always analyzing how the author pulls it off. How does he or she weave together the different elements needed to produce an engaging book for young readers?

My recent read, FLUSH by Carl Hiaasen, is a great example of this type of book. It has:

A great beginning that hooks the reader

The deputy told me to empty my pockets: two quarters, a penny, a stick of bubble gum, and a roll of grip tape for my s
Mike French
Feb 26, 2015 Mike French rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carl Hiaasen once again has written a tremendous book for the entire family!Grandparents,Parents,kids and grandkids will enjoy this book. Very enjoyable and entertaining for all!
Valerie
Feb 26, 2009 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ian
I thought this book had one of the most brilliant opening lines of any YA book. I read it aloud to #1 son, and he snatched the book from my hands and proceeded through Hoot as well.
Chloe O'neal
Aug 20, 2014 Chloe O'neal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Noah's dad tries to get back at Dusty, for putting the holding tank in the ocean, by sinking his casino ship, Coral Queen. He has to go to jail on fathers’ day. Noah and Abbey try to prove that there dad is right by making up this crazy plan that includes sneaking into the Coral Queen. Read the book to find out what happens next.
The main characters in the book are Dad and Noah. Dad, Paine, he has some anger issues. When he gets something on his mind he will do whatever it takes to get them to
Alex Murphy
If this is his first into the kids genre then I understand it's flaws, I do not forgive them but I understand. If this is not his first kids book then he totally messed up on this one. His crassness is unnecessary, and his approach to things like murder and alcoholism was ham handed. His other two that I've read were better and if you are a kid and you have a super love for Hiaasen then I guess go ahead and read this, but don't make this your first.

A boy and his sister are trying to prove that
Lexi
Bebe
Dec 16, 2015 Bebe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didnt-like, 2015
2/5 stars

I did not like this book because it was to predictable and easy. I did not enjoy it.

xoxo,
Bebe

I am going to give Hoot a try. I am probably not going to like it though.

Nathan Sapal
Mar 24, 2014 Nathan Sapal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. I was fairly entertained by it and everything that happened in it.

The story started with boy named Noah Underwood who lives a easy life in the Florida Keys with his family. Then suddenly his dad goes to jail, while visiting him in jail he finds out that his dad went to jail for sinking a gambling boat called "The Coral Queen". His dad did this because he find out that the boat was dumping their sewage into the marine, and so his dad told him and shoe was all for taking down "
Noah
Flush was a book about a boy around the age of 14 who's name is Noah. Noah's dad is in jail because his dad sunk a ship. This ship was no ordinary ship, this ship was dumping all of its waste and fecal matter into the ocean at night when nobody was around to notice, accept Noah's dad. He sunk the ship to stop the waste from building up in the sea. Throughout the book Noah and his family stand up against injustice and do what they can to make a change.
I can connect this book to HOOT by the same
Karissa
Dec 29, 2010 Karissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Hoot by Hiaasen and absolutely loved it, so I was excited to continue on with Hiaasen's middle grade series and read this book. I didn't like Flush quite as much as Hoot, there just wasn't as much mystery. That being said it was still a very good and entertaining book; it touches heavily on environmentalism, corrupt business practice, and family issues.

Noah Underwood's father has sunk a gambling ship and been thrown in jail. Noah's dad is positive that the gambling ship is emptying sewage
Lisa
Oct 10, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flush came to my attention because a professor at the community college where I work was looking for a novel that dealt with the environment, but that would not be too difficult for some of his low-level readers. Although I had not read it at the time, we decided that the reviews made Flush sound like the right book for the job. The novel follows two teens, Noah and Abby, who are trying to expose a casino boat owner who they believe is dumping the casino's septic waste into the local beach to sa ...more
Stephany
Jun 09, 2009 Stephany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Noah Underwood's father is sent to prison for sinking a casino boat that he believes to be dumping waste tanks into the ocean, Noah decides to help his father prove his suspicions. Noah and his siter, Abbey, get into all kinds of trouble as they attempt to prove that their father is sane and telling the truth, while keeping the owner of the boat from polluting the ocean around their home in the Florida Keys.

I really enjoyed this book because it was filled with action and suspense. Noah, Abb
Monique
i choose this book because it seemed like a good book. its fiction but probly could happen. it takes place in keys california i think. the main character is named noah. noahs dad goes to jail because he tryed to sink a boat that was dumping sewadge in the ocean which your not supose to do. noahs dad (paine) goes to jail for it because he doesnt have proof that dusty is dumping sewadge in the ocean. the problem is that dusty is doing this and he is friends with the coast gard so he doesnt get cau ...more
Dean
May 14, 2014 Dean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flush is like Greenpeace meets CSI. Basically, a boat is dumping its waste into the ocean and Noah, the main character, tries to figure out who is doing it. It’s a book with a political agenda and an environmental agenda, something that typically does not work, but it works well here. One other thing I can relate to is that Noah, the kid, is the one who is rational and calm, the dad is the unstable one. Something I can relate to, being the dad myself. Also, whenever I try to finish number one, I ...more
Marius
Nov 15, 2015 Marius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was vey interesting and had lots of adventure in the book. This book was about a kid named Noah and his sister Abbey trying to figure out plans to prove their fathers theory correct that Dusty Muleman was dumping human waste in the Florida keys, instead of properly disposing of it in sewage tanks. So Abbey and Noah tried their best making plans to nail Dusty Muleman, and eventually succeeded at the end of the book to frame him. I learned from this book to always try you very ...more
Eileen
Jul 31, 2011 Eileen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third of Hiaasen's YA novels that I've read (after Scat & Hoot) -- I just love them. They're not as wild and funny as his adult fiction, but I enjoy them all the same, and it's nice that they only take a couple of hours to read. Can't wait until I can share them with my kids.

As with all of Hiaasen's YA novels, this one deals with villainous Floridians who are destroying the environment, the plucky kids who won't let them get away with it, and the quirky grown-ups who help them.

Mac Cusanelli
The story Flush by Carl Hiaasen is a great story. This story is about a kid named Noah whose dad is in jail for sinking the Coral Queen Casino boat for dumping sewage in to the lake. After his dad is released he goes over to Noah and his sister, Abby, and said, "You know I only did that to save the environment." So Noah, Abby, and their dad's friend try to prove that the Coral Queen's owner is dumping sewage illegally...but how. But then their dad said that he has an inside man called Lice who c ...more
Kayecee Pati
Sep 28, 2015 Kayecee Pati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The novel,Flush, written by Carl Hiaasen tells the tale of environmental activism by young people and how it changes the world around them. The reason why I like this book is because it mostly concentrates on environmental issues and it shows what people could risk for animals and nature. The novel shows that people do wrong things for the the right reason and that they should never give up in what they believe in ( which is another reason why I like this book.) I find that this book deals with ...more
Aidenr
Apr 20, 2015 Aidenr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Flush by Carl Hiassen always kept me wondering what interesting twist would contribute to this highly developed story. I loved how there's always something going on with the parents or the kids. It's interesting how all these little things then build up to one big problem...Their father is in jail. The family has to then learn how to endure with their fathers embarrassing and stupid decisions that put the family at risk. This then leads to a series of events that makes you sit at the edge of you ...more
Jun Wong
Oct 27, 2015 Jun Wong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As Clear as a Crystal

The author who wrote FLUSH, Carl Hiaasen, whose writing style is different compared to other authors, he uses a charismatic style, being very selective but imaginative word choices. Carl Hiaasen was clear in his storytelling and rarely left me confused. Carl Hiaasen manages to develop his main character, Noah Underwood, as his passion for bringing justice to the environment by exposing the horrible casino boat, Coral Queen. Carl Hiaasen also accomplishes the balance of exter
Abby Decker
Mar 23, 2015 Abby Decker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Are you looking for an adventurous book? If so, you should read the book called "Flush" written by Carl Hiaasen.
This book is very appealing to many people. The plot really keeps you guessing how the characters are going to solve the problem. Whoever really cares about the environment should read this because the plot is based off people who are trying to save the environment. If you don’t like long books this one is short and the story is amazing.
"Flush" contains the following characters: Noah,
Rebecca McNutt
May 02, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was crude, crass and nasty; it's a book about sewage being dumped on a beach, aimed at young adults, so of course it's got immature toilet humor and it makes this book seem trashy. The characters were lazy, entitled and generically boring and much of the book just drags on, making it more of a chore to read than anything else.
Amanda M.
Sep 17, 2015 Amanda M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Saving the Bay From Waste's Way

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Flush by Carl Hiaasen.

It is about the Coral Queen, a casino boat dumping its waste into the ocean. It takes place in a bay of Florida during present-day, and begins by telling us that Paine Underwood sinks the boat in the name of his beliefs, then gets arrested. Noah, his son and the main protagonist, and his sister Abbey want to prove that their father is right. They love Paine and do not want him to be arrested if his beliefs are true
2017lucyf
Title: Flush
Author: Carl Hiaasen
Genre: Fiction

Dusty Muleman, the owner of the casino boat Coral Queen has been flushing sewage straight into the ocean! Paine, the local boater, is furious that someone would dump sewage right into his ocean. Now the water isn't swimmable.

Paine has sunk the Coral Queen and now his son, Noah, and his daughter Abby have to prove that their dad did it for a good reason. Along the way, Abby and Noah have to deal with Jasper Jr., Dusty Muleman's son and Luno his secur
flush 1 4 Apr 16, 2015 09:18AM
  • Chicken Boy
  • I Am Not Joey Pigza (Joey Pigza, #4)
  • Miracle on 49th Street
  • Diamonds in the Shadow
  • Wild Wings
  • The Young Man and the Sea (After Words)
  • Cornelia and the Audacious Escapades of the Somerset Sisters
  • Lunch Money
  • Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life
  • Project Mulberry
  • Eggs
  • Storm Warriors
  • Listen!
  • Peak (Peak #1)
  • Al Capone Shines My Shoes (Al Capone at Alcatraz, #2)
  • A Season of Gifts (A Long Way from Chicago, #3)
  • Millicent Min, Girl Genius
  • Love Among the Walnuts
Carl Hiaasen was born and raised in Florida, where he still lives with his family. After graduating from the University of Florida, he began writing for the Miami Herald. As a journalist and author, Carl has spend most of his life advocating the protection of the Florida Everglades. He and his family still live in southern Florida.
More about Carl Hiaasen...

“and in the meantime don't jump to conclusions.” 11 likes
“That's what people do when they find a special place that wild and full of life, they trample it to death.” 10 likes