Start by marking “Mammoth Book Of Extreme Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Mammoth Book Of Extreme Fantasy

Mammoth Book Of Extreme Fantasy

Here is the future of fantasy-25 short stories from top contemporary writers. This collection embraces all the newest forms of fantasy in vogue, from urban fantasy and extreme dystopian fiction, to alternate history and entire new fantasy worlds.
Published 2008 by Robinson Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Mammoth Book Of Extreme Fantasy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mammoth Book Of Extreme Fantasy

Simon
Mar 17, 2009 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An eclectic group of stories that get more "extreme" as the book goes on. Really shows the diversity of the genre completely avoiding the cliches that many people associate with fantasy.

With a focus predominately on newer stories, it introduced me to an array of new authors that I have not read before.

For me, some of the best stories were:

"Sandmagic" by Orson Scott Card
"The Old House Under the Snow" by Rhys Hughs
"Using It and Losing It" by Jonathan Lethem
"Eloi Eloi Lama Sabachthani" by William
Joshua
Aug 11, 2008 Joshua rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any one who enjoys thought provoking short fiction
I don’t know what the phrase “extreme fantasy” means. To me the word “extreme” was best defined in Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle : white water rafting in a convenience store, hang gliding off a cliff, drinking Mountain Dew and lastly listening to Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler. The editor of The Mammoth Book of Extreme Fantasy defines extreme as “stories that took a basic idea, whether simple or complicated, and developed it to some extreme, beyond what the reader might no ...more
Metaphorosis
Jul 27, 2015 Metaphorosis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2012-rev
Many themed anthologies have difficult sticking to their nominal theme. The more ethereal the theme, the more the stories tend to wander. Most often, they seem in fact to be mere compendia of the stories the editor could dig up, with little in the way of connective tissue. This anthology is no different. "Extreme" means different things to different people, I suppose, and certainly I could construct a case for why each story is extreme, but in simply reading through them, I certainly wasn't ofte ...more
Marie
Sep 20, 2016 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: t-fantasy, own-read
I appreciated the commitment to finding fantasy stories that moved beyond Tolkien. But like a lot of anthologies, it's a mixed bag. Below are the stories in the collection that I would rate higher than the overall collection (four or five stars):

Sandmagic by Orson Scott Card

I know - but it's an excellent story about the all-consuming nature of revenge.

Lost Wax by Leah Bobet

Eerie fantasy story that focuses on class differences.

The Old House Under the Snow by Rhys Hughes

So weird and wild. Felt l
Marsha
Ranging from the humorous, curious, obscene, disgusting to the downright weird, this anthology of fantasy tales show the vast territories that can be covered by master storytellers. As with any collection, there are hits and misses. I found myself bored with “The All-at-Once Man”, seeing it to be more of a philosophical exercise than anything else. So, while I found a few of the stories rather opaque and therefore incapable of moving me on anything but an intellectual level, quite a few of them ...more
Schnaucl
The premise of the anthology is that the stories get progressively more extreme. I'm not sure that the book really delivered on the promise, particularly since towards the end extreme seemed to mean "dealt with time travel in some way." There were a lot of time travel stories.

The anthology did have some good and memorable stories.

I particularly enjoyed the opening story about racist hobbits years after the events of Lord of the Rings.

I also liked the story about living in total darkness with ev
Mance
Jul 09, 2016 Mance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite story: tie between "Using It & Losing It" and "The House Under the Snow", followed closely by "Banquet of the Lords of the Night."

This was a book I picked up at the plaza, attracted to it because it was nearly 600 pages for less than 10 leva, and I wasn't expecting much more than a B-list collection of odd stories. However, I thought every short was excellent and I had a treasured companion to lug around the parks for the past week, so I'm very happy.

After finishing, the only thing
J.
A fantastic compilation of non-traditional fantasy - meaning fantasy à la Tolkien. There were some real gems in this anthology, though other's I found neither extreme nor particularly suited for this book. Still other stories I didn't quite get, and others contained fascinating variations of known stories, like "The Tower of Babylon", where Yahweh made the world in such a way that he wouldn't need to destroy the tower and punish humankind. All in all a very interesting anthology, and a well-dese ...more
Hilmi Isa
Nov 21, 2014 Hilmi Isa rated it liked it
Sebuah buku/novel kompilasi atau antologi yang memuatkan 24 buah cerita pendek extreme fantasy,dari 24 orang penulis yang berlainan.
Kesemua penulis yang ditampilkan,tidaklah saya kenali. Ini kali pertama saya membaca karya mereka. Malahan,ada penulisnya yang sudah meninggal dunia. Tetapi,ada beberapa cerita pendek di dalamnya adalah amat menarik sekali untuk dibaca. Antara yang berjaya menarik perhatian saya adalah seperti Senator Bilbo,Charlie the Purple Giraffe was Acting Strangely,Master Lao
Daniel Ferguson
Dec 19, 2010 Daniel Ferguson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly nothing special, appealing to the kind of minds that get excited over anything with an X in the title.

HOWEVER, The Old House Under The Snow was just... wow. Surreal, awe-inspiring, haunting. Amazing read. Worth buying the book just for that one, wonderful gem. Seriously my favourite fantasy short story so far. I recommend it for this story alone.
Jacques
Great airplane reading...some good stories, including the single most off-putting story I have ever read - "I, Haruspex". It is a good story, well written, and certainly emotive - but not in a good way at all.
Colin
24 stories by authors as diverse as William Hope Hodgson, Michael Swanwick and RA Lafferty. An astonishingly broad canvas, the highlights are Tom Reamy's 'The Detweiler Boy' and Lawrence Person's 'Master Lao and the Flying Horror.'
Kyla Ward
Jan 24, 2016 Kyla Ward rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very pleasing collection, although it bears a certain Judeo-Christian bias. A good way of catching up on some significant stories.
Nathalia
Aug 21, 2011 Nathalia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wonderful collection of short stories and also one of my personal favorites from The Mammoth Book of... series.
Chris Mata
Sep 24, 2012 Chris Mata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
excellent. a wide range of storytelling. I will say tastes will vary for this book so 5 stars is hard to give. yet, it is worth reading every story
Jeremy Stock
Sep 13, 2012 Jeremy Stock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent collection of out-there stories. Well worth it! It's a nice one to keep by the bed.
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Imthyaz Sheriff
Imthyaz Sheriff rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2013
Bernard O
Bernard O rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2012
Kat
Kat rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2011
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
May 17, 2015
Terri
Terri rated it did not like it
Oct 25, 2014
Sorin
Sorin rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Kendra
Bunch of dark fantasy short stories. Not to bad if you are really into that.
bba
bba rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2012
Ram
Ram rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2011
Asher J.
Asher J. rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Edson
Edson rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2010
Kersplebedeb
Kersplebedeb rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2011
Aimee
Aimee rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Third Annual Collection
  • The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories
  • The Mammoth Book of Futuristic Romance
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2011 (Nebula Awards, #12)
  • The Mammoth Book of New Terror
  • Wizards: Magical Tales From the Masters of Modern Fantasy
  • Engineering Infinity
  • The End of the Line: An Anthology of Underground Horror
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
Michael Raymond Donald Ashley is the author and editor of over sixty books that in total have sold over a million copies worldwide. He lives in Chatham, Kent.
More about Mike Ashley...

“I always felt there was something wrong with me, even when I was a child, a discomfort with my own being. I had an urge to be mean to people. I was too shy to do it properly but now I know the reasons for the faults in my character. I'm the devil.” 0 likes