In God's Name: An Investigation Into the Murder of Pope John Paul I

In God's Name: An Investigation Into the Murder of Pope John Paul I

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  362 ratings  ·  62 reviews
In God's Name has been at the top of the bestseller lists around the world. It contains some of the most explosive & dramatic revelations ever published about Vatican internal affairs.
During the late evening of Sept. 28th or the early morning of Sept. 29th, 1978, Pope John Paul I, Albino Luciani, known as 'the smiling Pope' died only 33 days after his election. David...more
Published June 28th 1984 by Bantam Books (NYC) (first published January 1st 1984)

Erik Graff
Dec 28, 2012 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Catholics
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: biography
While focused on the events, persons and interests surrounding the death of Pope John Paul I, this book also serves as a biography of Albino Luciani, (17 October 1912–28 September 1978). Yallop displays a high regard for Luciani, a great disdain for other Vatican figures associated with its banking establishment, the Archdiocese of Chicago, the P2 Masonic lodge, the Mafia and the CIA. He clearly believes the Pope was assissinated by some combination of these interests and that there was a coveru...more
Nenette
I haven't been paying attention. At almost 50, I've lived so far through five popes, and all this time, I've perceived the Holy See, as indeed holy. That even if it's in itself a sovereign state, it is exempt from the plague of corruption that infests most countries in the world. On this account, was I so wrong! It was (is?) a far cry from what Jesus said - "my kingdom is not of this earth".

Back in September 1978, when I was just a young and naive teenager, I had thought that the death of Pope J...more
David
No one, it seems, remembers Pope John Paul I, perhaps because his papacy only lasted a month. This book makes a plausible case for the theory that he was murdered. I was a college freshman when he became pope and then died. Although not a Catholic, I participated in many discussions that brought up the subject of his untimely and, in the eyes of many, dubious demise. John Paul II might well have become pope anyway, but John Paul I was something of a radical and certainly appears to have represen...more
Dennis Fernandes
Sure, I'm afraid of most criminals that carry a gun and threatens society but I'm petrified of the criminal that portrays a clean appearance, holds a powerful position and claims to be the friend of the common man. This book is fantastic and showed how wonderful and kind-hearted Albino Luciani was. He was truly a man of the people. The vatican is just another powerful, tax exempt institute that has criminals running it including the present pedophile pope. It's all a load of rubbish, just like t...more
James Moyer
Fiction? A great book for conspiracy nuts like myself. The Catholic church attacked by elements of Free Masonry. Predates DaVinci Code and may have been a helpful tool in understanding recent movies like The DaVinci Code and National Treasure. A possible piece of the puzzle for those seeking Truth.
Kriegslok
This book had somehow passed me by. It is general knowledge to anyone who is awake that the Roman Catholic Church is a nasty, corrupt and corrupting institution which (like most religious organisations) brings pain, misery and suffering to millions (It is worth keeping in mind the closeness of the Vatican to Nazi Germany and the role of the Roman Catholic Church in rescuing Nazis towards the end of WWII and ensuring their safe passage to South America – see Ratlines by Mark Aarons et al.) . That...more
Nancy
A conversation with a friend yesterday brought back to me the fact that I had read this book. I now remember it so well because I had just arrived in Sierra Leone for a two year stint teaching when the newly elected Pope John Paul 1 died - just one month after being elected.

I just assumed that he had a sudden health issue - but the Sierra Leone's were positive that he had been murdered. My new Sierra Leone friends conversed about this for months and being the naive Catholic that I was then, I wa...more
R.John
A convincing enough investigation. And honestly, I read this for three reasons: 1. My father has always claimed that the Vatican murdered Pope John Paul. 2. The Fall wrote "Hey! Luciani" about this story and book. 3. Robert Anton Wilson was sort of obsessed with Licio Gelli.

The book suffers in two major areas: 1. The author is a bit too in love with Pope John Paul. He only sees the progressive potential of the man. Yallop makes a fine case for sainthood. 2. Yallop goes into great speculative det...more
Rowena
Mind-boggling. Who would've thought that some of the "respectable" priests/bishops inside the Vatican have got to do with the murder of a pope (Pope John Paul I - Albino Luciani) who was trying to bring the papacy closer to the public and change the medieval view of the church on birth control in the 70s/80s? The author's investigation concluded that the perpetrators have the motive, the opportunity and most definitely the capacity to commit the crime. I am not concerned about what happened to t...more
Ivy
Hmmm! Conspiracy theory.

The evidence he presents for the murder of Pope John Paul I appears sound, but I'm a little skeptical of the whole big corporation/Freemason/Vatican II business as being behind the death of an apparently healthy man.

I hadn't heard about this before I picked up the book at a sale, but I thought the biography was interesting so I read it.

The current pope, Francis, seems to be the same kind of person: concerned about the poor, reaching out to people outside the church, unos...more
Manny
In The Godfather, Part 3, Pope John Paul I is murdered as part of a sinister game played between rival Mob-related factions within the Vatican, with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake. Yallop's book produces a remarkable amount of evidence to support this theory. It's not terribly well-written - there's too much information, and it's poorly organized - but it certainly scores for shock value, and I read the whole thing in a few days. One of the most plausible conspiracy theories I've come...more
Joe
Overlong revelation on the 33 day pope that rose from nowhere and descended into the same. Some plausible conspiracy theories. No bashing of Catholicism, but with new(for it's time) insight into the impenetrable overlord bureaucracy known as the Vatican. Seems like Luciani would have brought the church closer into the 20th century "way of thinking" had he the chance. I would have given this book 4 stars had it come up with better direct evidence of foul play.

Goodreads needs to have a 10 star rat...more
Maria Martinez
It was hard to believe all said in this book. Some arguments could be feasible but the financial transactions described are so complicated that they seem imaginary to a degree. I live in Chicago (well now in a suburb of Chicago) and knew about Cardinal Cody. All the author said is probably true. Other claims are harder to prove and believe. The author had a great dislike for Pople John Paul II and that took away from his story. It sounded too personal. Maybe he wants to be Pope.
hcelvis
Diese Verschwörungstheorie über Verstrickungen der katholischen Kirche mit der Mafia in Finanzgeschäften und über einen möglichen Mord an Papst Johannes Paul I. ist sehr spannend und gut geschrieben für so eine Dokumentation, allerdings fragt man sich, so umstritten das Buch ist, was ist nun wahr... Wenn es aber nur ein Teil davon sein sollte, was hier erzählt wird, reicht das schon aus, um schockiert zu sein, selbst wenn man mit Kirche nicht viel am Hut hat.
Lenore
David Yallop presents a compelling case in his conclusion that Pope John Paul I was murdered. His scathing indictment of the Roman Curia, Bishop Marcinkus and Cardinal Cody is very believable. It's surprising the Catholic Church today still exists under this leadership. As a resident of the Chicago diocese, I thought Cardinal Cody during his tenure presented himself as arrogant, dictatorial, mean-spirited and underhanded.
Suz
A revealing account of inside the Vatican's dirty manipulation of money, politics and power, not to mention a compelling case as to why John Paul I was murdered after only 33 days, and its ensuing cover up. I read this during the most recent papal conclave (Francis I). The author's research appears to be meticulous, and the detail somewhat overwhelming at times, but it's definitely convincing.
Lucy
A good read, fascinating murder mystery. The author has researched the facts leading up to and following the murder of Pope John Paul I. At times his data is redundant and difficult to follow in the narrative. This book is an expose of Cardinal Cody of Chicago, Opus Dei, The Vatican Bank, P2, Freemasonry,the Italian mafia, among others. It is a tale of the destruction of a good and holy man.
Iván
Yallop's best-seller, and it's easy to spot why. Well researched and wittily written, this book could never been discredited by the Vatican. The author is like a modern Sherlock Holmes, an investigator with high sense of detail that covers all grounds when boarding a problem. It's very hard not to agree with him when confronted to the theory of Pope John Paul I's assassination.
Adebayo Oyagbola
Gripping. A combination of the catholic establishment in action and the machinations of pure evil. The accounts in this book transform the Vatican from a merely antiquated religious establishment into a hotbed of intrigue, ruthlessness and naked power play. The only sympathetic figure in it is the saintly Pope John Paul I who however turned out to be out of his depth.
Jay
A journalist makes the case that Pope John Paul I was murdered in 1978 only 33 days after his election. Grounds include: a healthy 65-year-old man dies without an autopsy, plus scandal in the Vatican bank, and a pastoral, rather than business-like approach to church leadership created powerful enemies. Insider view into Vatican politics.
Mark Arnett
I have read this book 3 or 4 times. I have bought it 3 or 4 times because I keep lending it out. It eas the basis for The Godfather 3, although don't hold that against it. I love the fact that he does not draw any conclusions, he presents the facts and lets you decide.
Sue Ellis
If you want to know more about the Catholic Church and its evils, read this book. I found it fascinating and learnt some interesting, if dark, new facts.
Fabrizio
Even if only five percent of what is documented by David A. Yallop in this book turned out to be true, it is mind blowing!
Ernest
Compelling reading, shocking and frightening, corruption, lies, money laundering and even murder in the Vatican. Great read.
Ty Noonan
Brilliant journalistic work that leaves little doubt that the only decent pope in living memory was murdered.
Colleen
Account is full of financial issues, vatican politics, and intrigue surrounding death of Pope John Paul I
Ed
Dec 06, 2008 Ed rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: any Catholic
An excellent, well referenced description of the inner politics of the Vatican.
Bisrat Girma
The most shocking and scary book I ever read.
Susana Pereira
Este livro não é uma obra-prima literária, nem está escrito de forma particularmente brilhante, mas, e nunca pensei dizer isto, depois de o ler, não voltarei a ser a mesma.

É claro que todos os livros que lemos nos ensinam alguma coisa e, nesse sentido, mudam, em maior ou menor grau, a nossa perspectiva em relação a algo, mas esta leitura retirou-me alguma inocência que ainda resistia às evidências, pondo em causa aquele lema que tinha por indiscutível de confiar a priori nas boas intenções das p...more
Piperitapitta
questo libro era di mio nonno, credo di averlo letto almeno vent'anni fa.
ricordo ancora il mio pensiero dopo averlo finito: se fosse vero anche solo il 10% di quello che sostiene, sarebbe comunque un incubo. sono passati almeno vent'anni e non �� cambiato niente. �� proprio di queste settimane il ritorno alla ribalta del caso della scomparsa di emanuela orlandi: e si parla nuovamente di monsignor marcinkus, della banda della magliana, eccetera, eccetera, eccetera.
  • Pope Joan: Translated & Adapted from the Greek
  • 'Isms & 'Ologies: All the Movements, Ideologies and Doctrines That Have Shaped Our World
  • The Medici Giraffe and Other Tales of Exotic Animals and Power
  • The Lost Tomb
  • Devil's Picnic
  • Tomb of Tutankhamen
  • Blood On The Table: The Greatest Cases of New York City's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
  • The Hiram Key
  • Women of the Raj
  • 4000 Years of Uppity Women
  • The Rise and Fall of Alexandria: Birthplace of the Modern Mind
  • 100 Hair-Raising Little Horror Stories
  • The Hite Report
  • The Royals
  • The Jesus Dynasty: The Hidden History of Jesus, His Royal Family, and the Birth of Christianity
  • Hollow Earth: The Long and Curious History of Imagining Strange Lands, Fantastical Creatures, Advanced Civilizations, and Marvelous Machines Below the Earth's Surface
  • Raptor
  • The Magician's Tale
David Anthony Yallop is an agnostic British author who writes chiefly about unsolved crimes.
More about David A. Yallop...
Tracking the Jackal: The Search for Carlos, the World's Most Wanted Man The Power and the Glory How They Stole the Game The Day the Laughter Stopped To the Ends of the Earth