Start by marking “Le Portrait de Dorian Gray” as Want to Read:
Le Portrait de Dorian Gray

Read Book* *Different edition

Le Portrait de Dorian Gray

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  634,650 Ratings  ·  18,345 Reviews
Le héros de l'unique roman d'Oscar Wilde doit rester éternellement jeune : son portrait seul sera marqué progressivement par le temps, les vices, les crimes, jusqu'au drame final. Dans ce chef-d'oeuvre de l'art fin de siècle (1890), l'auteur a enfermé une parabole des relations entre l'art et la vie, entre l'art et la morale, entre le Bien et le Mal. Les apparences du cont ...more
Mass Market Paperback, Folio classique #2360, 403 pages
Published January 14th 1992 by Gallimard (first published June 20th 1890)

To ask other readers questions about Le Portrait de Dorian Gray, please sign up.

Cesar Ramirez Because it represents to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit. Or if you think the book is immoral, it is because it shows you your…moreBecause it represents to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit. Or if you think the book is immoral, it is because it shows you your own shame.(less)
Madawa Wilson possibly how we have an image of ourselves which we try to preserve, but its is our actions that defines us. To look one way and act another is…morepossibly how we have an image of ourselves which we try to preserve, but its is our actions that defines us. To look one way and act another is ruinous. I think there is a meaning of not pretending, not to be a hedonist and not to follow others blindly.(less)

Stephen
PortraitOfDorianGray-review
Arguably literature's greatest study of shallowness, vanity, casual cruelty and hedonistic selfishness, Wilde lays it down here with ABSOLUTE PERFECTION!! This was my first experience in reading Oscar Wilde and the man’s gift for prose and dialogue is magical. This story read somewhat like a dark, corrupted Jane Austen in that the writing was snappy and pleasant on the ear, but the feeling it left you with was one of hopelessness and despair.

The level of cynicism and societal disregard that Wi
Paula
Feb 10, 2008 Paula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Scoobs
Oct 02, 2007 Scoobs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh Dorian. Oh Dorian.

When I first read this book in the fruitless years of my youth I was excited, overwhelmed and a blank slate (as Dorian is, upon his first encounter with Lord Henry) easily molded, persuaded, influenced, etc.

Certain Wildisms (Wildeisms?) would take my breath away. Would become my mottos to believe in. To follow. To live.

Lines like:

"It is silly of you, for there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

"But beauty, real
Barry Pierce
So I read all of Wilde's plays a couple of years ago but for some reason I never read this at the time. This is probably the number one most requested book for me to read. So I read it. Are ya happy now!? ARE YA!?

I really rather enjoyed this. Well, obviously. I mean, did you honestly think I wasn't going to like The Picture of Dorian Gray? It's by Oscar Wilde for fuck's sake. His prose is like spilled honey flowing across a wooden table and waterfalling onto the floor beneath. The viscous liquid
Emily May
Aug 15, 2012 Emily May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, 2012, favourites
"The sitter is merely the accident, the occasion. It is not he who is revealed by the painter; it is rather the painter who, on the coloured canvas, reveals himself. The reason I will not exhibit this picture is that I am afraid that I have shown in it the secret of my own soul."

And so begins this tale of art and sin. I would highly recommend first watching the movie Wilde starring the wonderful Stephen Fry, it is a film which takes the audience on a journey through the life of the tormented w
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
The Picture of Dorian Gray is a hard book to review. After reading such eloquent, beautiful, and rich writing, I am at a loss for how to command my comparatively paltry ability to use words to express how I felt about this book.

Forgive me as I go back to AP English for a few moments. I asked myself what were the themes of this novel. Here is my list:

Identity
Experience
Beauty
The triumph on senses over reason
Accountability

I will attempt to build my review, in part, around the discussion of these t
Bookworm Sean
I finished reading this last night, and afterwards I spent an entire hour staring into space so I could contemplate over the majesty of this work. It left me speechless. This book is exquisite; it is an investigation into the human soul, the power of vanity and the problems of living a life with not a single consequence for your actions. It’s truly powerful stuff.

It begins with a simple realisation, and perhaps an obvious one. But, for Dorian it is completely life changing. He realises that bea
❁ بــدريــه ❁

خلاصة الرواية في :
" جمال الصورة و فساد الروح "
حيث يمكن في كثير من الأحيان أن يكون الإنسان
جميل من الخارج لكنه متبجح متكبر خبيث من الداخل ..

شخصية دوريان و فلسفته تستند على الجمال البسيط لكل الأشياء
في رحلة تنتهي بالقبح والبشاعة. ذلك الشاب البريء يتحول إلى رجل وضيع
حين يستعرض جمالية شبابه وحياته من خلال النزوات المتعثرّة والحقيرة

و ذلك يعكس رغبة أوسكار وايلد في إظهار الحركة الجمالية في ذلك العصر
وما تمخضّ عنها من تبعات غير لائقة، ويبدو جليًا
حين وثّق روايته بلوحة اشتهرت حتى أكثر من الرواية ..

حيث
Trevor
Mar 23, 2008 Trevor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
This is another of those books I’ve been meaning to read for ages and kept putting off. Although I’ve a particularly good reason for putting this one off, as a very good friend of mine, who died a couple of years ago, spoke to me about this book and I was worried that might make it hard to read for quite other reasons.

He said that when he read this book as a young man it made him certain that he was not homosexual. Now, that in itself was enough to make me curious about the book. This is a book
Ana
“Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic.”

photo 14474271_zps2nqturoy.gif

This book is dark unicorns and rainbows. It's chocolate ice cream with cherries on top. It's a pizza with everything on it. It's a fluffy kitten. It's ice cold lemonade on a hot summer day.

It is absolutely marvellous.

I couldn't help but include this in my review. Keanu Reeves is the real life Dorian Gray.

photo wwwwwwwww_zpsvgnvyjai.jpg

ماذا لو استطعت أن تنفض يدك عن أي جريمة ارتكبت
وأي شر اقترفت

ماذا لو استطعت تحقيق المستحيل
وضمنت الخلود..؟؟

وماذا لو كان ذلك المكان السري هو وجهك الذي نحته فيلسوف فنان على الورق..

وماذا لو كان بإمكانك رؤية جميع مفاسدك تتجلى يوما بعد يوم على وجهك الكامل الجمال في عيون الكل

سواك..

:::::::::::

ما رأيك يا دوريان في قول المسيح
ماذا يستفيد الإنسان لو خسر روحه وربح العالم أجمع؟
Paul Bryant
Jan 06, 2013 Paul Bryant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I don't know what I was quite expecting here. It's a psychological horror story with a lot of comic relief, in the form of the endless witty paradoxes. After page 30 you are thinking that if Lord Henry makes just one more crack you're going to knock his monocle off his family crest and grind it underfoot. Oscar often clearly thinks he's being hilarious with his wit with a capital W – and maybe it's me, but Oscar Wilde often sounds like a parody of Oscar Wilde, like in the Monty Python sketch

WHIS
Kalliope
Apr 11, 2014 Kalliope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Funny how books are moulded by the circumstances in which they have been read.

In Dorian Gray, some of its aspects are very easy to grasp and do not need great explanations.

For example, Wilde’s epigrammatic style is so very distinct. I have had a lot of fun selecting quotes and peppered with them my reading progress.

His sentences are like small diamonds. They can be held and set against the light and moved around so that their different facets will shine and reflect the world around them. They a
Petra Eggs
Possessing eternal youth and beauty produces exactly the same effect as sentencing a man to life without the possibility of parole. Both have nothing to lose and morals disappear before the desire for immediate self-gratification in all things. And so it is with Dorian Gray. It's a moral story so eventually his evil catches up with him and he dies, as does the criminal.

Is Oscar Wilde saying that it is man's essential nature, to be so internally psychopathic and selfish that so long as he can ke
Jonathan
Sep 23, 2011 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: classic readers, those who enjoy morals

The Picture of Dorian Gray could also be titled A Portrait of the Human Soul, for in his dark and tragic commentary Oscar Wilde spares no liberties in discussing morality, religion, society and the depths of the human condition. It is a deeply moving and inspired novel centering around the defining power of art. It is not an easy novel to read with its dark elements. For in paying heed to Dorian Gray's demise one is drawn into a reflection of their own spiritual condition.

For those who have no i
Henry Avila
May 12, 2013 Henry Avila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A face without a heart", so said Shakespeare in Hamlet, but it applies to the portrait of Dorian Gray, even better.... When the young gentleman Dorian Gray, from a wealthy aristocratic family, in Victorian England, has his picture completed, something is missing, Basil Hallward, the painter senses it, and insists that no one sees his greatest work, except a few people ... The witty Lord Henry Wotton, Dorian's soon to be best friend, seems amused, a shy artist! All three are fascinated by the pa ...more
Amira Mahmoud
هي صورة الأحزان
هي وجه بلا قلب

هي صورة داخل كل منّا، صورة الروح أو صورة النفس أو أيًا ما كان يمكن أن تسميها.
الصورة التي تعكس وجهنا الحقيقيّ الذي لا يعرف عنه الناس شيئًا
يسعى البعض للتفتيش عنها دائمًا، تفقدها بين حين وآخر والعناية بها
والبعض الآخر يتركها، يحاول دفنها وردمها بعيدًا حتى يتراكم عليها العفن والأتربة.
جميعنا يملك هذه الصورة، هذه المرآة؛ تمامًا كدوريان جراي
الفارق الوحيد بيننا وبينه أنها كانت دائمًا أمامه، لا يحتاج للبحث والتفتيش عنها كما يفعل التقاة
ومهما حاول دفنها وتدميرها والهرب منها
Manny
"My dear Jordan!" said Lord Rayner expansively, as the butler discreetly closed the door behind his young visitor. "Really, it is too good to see you again! And what brings you to Cambridge?"

"Oh, this and that," said the lad, flinging himself casually onto a priceless Ikea divan. "By the way, has there been some mistake in the casting? I thought I was female?"

"Well, since we're doing Dorian Gray, I hoped you would have no objection to reversing your gender," said his host. "And besides, is there
Councillor
What would you do to gain eternal youth, to be beautiful and young and highly respected forever and ever? In the first instance, you should think long and longer about such a yearning, because in the end, it is not external beauty which counts ... it is the beauty of your soul. A lesson Dorian Gray has to learn in one of the most gruesome ways you could imagine.

"The Picture of Dorian Gray" is an absolute masterpiece, which is a compliment I rarely pay a book. Oscar Wilde can easily be considered
Emily Fox
Jan 14, 2017 Emily Fox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This reminded me of why I like classics. Some parts dragged on too long but I enjoyed it overall!
Brendan
Jul 02, 2008 Brendan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moral degradation follows moisturiser use.
Alex Farrand
Nov 30, 2016 Alex Farrand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
First off, while reading this novel I started thinking about the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. You know the movie with Sean Connery. You know he has that cool voice and was James Bond. I thought to myself that one guy who had the picture sounds an awful lot like Dorian. Kept reading on, until finally I had to look up the movie. And lo and behold it was Dorian Gray. I had to palm to face myself. I should have known, because the other people were book characters too.

Back to the novel. What if
Jonathan Ashleigh
Aug 06, 2014 Jonathan Ashleigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
If no one wrote a novel after this one: it would be the greatest story ever told and I would be ok with that.
Magdalen
“My own personality has become a burden to me. I want to escape, to go away, to forget.”

No matter how many times I’ve read this book, every time I read it, I feel as if I am reading it for the first time. So where do I begin with this masterpiece?

This book is an actual representation of how bad relationships can affect you. How bad influence can distort your sense. It’s thrilling and it keeps you at the edge of your seat. The picture of Dorian Gray is just brilliant and I personally find t
Riku Sayuj

Good By Proxy

The Picture of Dorian Gray is a very Platonic book in that beauty seems to be considered as an end in itself — except that Dorian’s great love of beauty ought to have induced in him such a revulsion at the growing ugliness of his character (or soul) as to forestall his immoral actions.

That was after all Plato’s great hope: that love of beauty can, when rightly cultivated and educated, battle immorality. Wilde inverts this by showing us a great lover of beauty who is also immoral in
Lizzy
In a world increasingly obsessed with appearances and beauty, Oscar Wilde’s The Picture of Dorian Gray could not be more opportune and timely. Wilde's novel is about youth and beauty versus experience; morality and the triumph of the senses over reason; sin and accountability; society, its hypocrisy and the depths of the human condition.
"But beauty, real beauty, ends where an intellectual expression begins. Intellect is in itself a mode of exaggeration, and destroys the harmony of any face. The
فهد الفهد
صورة دوريان جراي

لو طلب مني إعداد قائمة بأهم الكتب التي قرأتها في حياتي، ستكون رائعة أوسكار وايلد على رأس القائمة، ومهما صغرت قائمتي، ومهما تطايرت منها العناوين، ستبقى (صورة دوريان جراي) لأنها رواية عبقرية كتبها فنان عملاق.

قرأت هذه الرواية في مراهقتي، نسخة مختصرة منها بالأصح وأبهرتني، أبهرتني فلسفتها، أبهرتني تحولاتها، وها أنا بعد أعوام طويلة أعود لأقرأ نسخة كاملة منها، ومع ذلك لا يتشتت الانبهار ولا يخفت جمال النص ولا قوته.

دوريان جراي شاب وسيم، فاتن، بريء، يرسم له صديقه الفنان لوحة مذهلة، تلتق
Yakup
Jan 09, 2017 Yakup rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oscar Wilde; Salt keşfedilmesi gereken ve entellektüel damarımızın varlığından haberdar olabilmemiz veya gelişimine katkı bulunabilmesi adına yüzümüzü edebi derinliğine çevirmemiz gereken önemli bir mihenk taşıdır. Öncelikle söylemek isterim ki elimdeki yayının sansürsüz ve açıklamalı bir baskısı olduğundan hem kitabın alt açıklamaları olsun hem Oscar Wilde hakkında olsun epeyce bilgi sahibi oldum. Bu baskıyı almam geniş çapta bilgi edinmemi ve bu dahi ile daha derin bir tanışmamı sağladı.
Eserin
Apatt
May 16, 2014 Apatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
“He was always late on principle, his principle being that punctuality is the thief of time.”

"We praise the banker that we may overdraw our account, and find good qualities in the highwayman in the hope that he may spare our pockets. I mean everything that I have said. I have the greatest contempt for optimism. As for a spoiled life, no life is spoiled but one whose growth is arrested. If you want to mar a nature, you have merely to reform it."

Words to live by. LOL! This is surely the most quo
Navessa
Mar 28, 2013 Navessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Operation Project Gutenberg (view spoiler)

If you haven’t read this book, you should. It's hands down the most quotable novel I have ever read. In my paperback version of it you can barely discern the print through all the cramped notes I’ve stuffed in
Goodreads Librari...: Dorian Gray's series? 7 199 Feb 16, 2017 04:00PM
Not like the others - Maya Weismiller 1 17 Jan 23, 2017 05:45PM
Arters AP Literat...: Reena Review 2 13 Jan 05, 2017 09:40PM
Dorian's rejection of Sybil Vane 46 497 Dec 16, 2016 03:28AM
Albany NY Book Club: DON'T FORGET -> Book Club Meeting this THURSDAY 6pm at Stacks! 1 3 Dec 12, 2016 05:32AM
Catching up on Cl...: The Picture of Dorian Gray, Spoilers 123 294 Dec 05, 2016 06:26PM
  • The Fall of the House of Usher
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror
  • The Return of the Native
  • The Late Mattia Pascal
  • Love's Labour's Lost
  • Middlemarch
  • The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling
  • Frankenstein / Dracula / Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde (Signet Classics)
  • The Monk
  • Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
  • Moonfleet
  • Monday or Tuesday
  • Lady Audley's Secret
  • The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7)
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...

“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.” 14230 likes
“You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.” 7723 likes